Type keyword(s) to search

The Originals in the Media

Claire Holt Heading to NBC's Aquarius as a Series Regular: What Does This Mean for The Originals?

http://ca.eonline.com/news/564340/claire-holt-heading-to-nbc-s-aquarius-as-a-series-regular-what-does-this-mean-for-the-originals

Claire Holt is turning in her immortality for a badge.

The Originals star has joined the cast of NBC's new drama Aquarius as a series regular, E! News has learned.

Set in the ‘60s, Aquarius stars David Duchovny as an undercover cop tracking down infamous killer Charles Manson and his followers.

Also set to star in the 13-episode series are Gaius Charles, Gethin Anthony and Grey Damon. Holt will play Office Chairmain Tully, a beautiful young female police officer who is trying to be taken seriously in the male-dominated world of the LAPD in 1967, no easy task.

Holt's Vampire Diaries character Rebekah, the sole female sibling in the Original family of vampires, quickly became a fan favoriteafter her season three debut, along with onscreen brothers Joseph Morgan and Daniel Gillies, landing them their own spinoff series, The Originals.

But fans of the CW hit series were thrown for a major curveball when Holt exited the series in its first season, which she later explained was due to her desire to be back in Los Angeles (The Originals films in Atlanta). "This show has been so amazing for my career, and I've had such unbelievable material, it was just never my intention to be away from home this long," she said in an interview with Buzzfeed.

Still, Holt's new gig on Aquarius won't stop Rebekah from making a quick visit to New Orleans in season two, as The Originals' creator Julie Plec revealed that we'll see Holt "at least once in the first three episodes" during the show's panel at Comic-Con. And fans got a taste of Rebekah's return in the trailer that was screened, featuring footage from the first three episodes with a fairy tale narration by Holt. And after her exit, Holt said, "I am simply looking at this as a temporary absence."

They're launching a web series based on Kol, using the real (original) Kol.

'The Originals' is launching a Kol-centric web series

Klaus and Elijah Mikaelson might be the best-known Originals, but their siblings have just as much baggage—even the youngest brother, Kol. And now there’s a web series to prove it.

EW has confirmed that The CW is launching a four-part digital series titled The Originals: Awakening, which will focus on Kol’s story. According to E! News, the story will take viewers back to 1914, when Kol was attempting to form an alliance with the witches of the French Quarter. As Originals writer Carina MacKenzie told E!, “In the web series, fans will get to see how some events of last season can actually be traced back to Kol, and we’ll reveal some clues as to his current agenda with Davina.”

The web series will star Nathaniel Buzolic as Kol, who’s currently being played by Daniel Sharman on the show.

The Originals: Awakening will premiere on Monday, Nov. 10 on cwtv.com during the East Coast airing of The Originals, with new episodes each Monday until the mid-season finale of the show on Dec. 8.

• Love 1

http://news.yahoo.com/originalss-leah-pipes-cami-play-vincent-153058292.html;_ylt=AwrBJR6waGpUAlIAjM_QtDMD

Apparently I'm the only one not enamored by Cami's charms. Who knew!

Side note, I do so enjoy when a woman talks about the " Power of their sexuality" and how to use it to manipulate a man. Especially when you know it will result in her having to be saved by another man.... The feminist movement at it's best. Bravo!

• Love 2

My Dinner Date with series aka the cast answers fan questions (love that each of them gave the butler a different name) - the cast of TVD did the same thing and their answers were so boring. The ones from The Originals were so much better!

Joseph Morgan:

Daniel Gillies:

Phoebe Tonkin:

Charles Michael Davis:

Leah Pipes:

Danielle Campbell:

Thank you for posting those! DG is just so suave and CMD so cute and funny. As much as I hate Klaus I do like JM. And off-camera Sebastian Roche still made me swoon.

Omg DG to Bryan Adams the Butler: "Everything I do, I do it for you." "You smell awful today."

Is it wrong that I skipped PT and LP? I cannot stand their characters.

(edited)

Is it wrong that I skipped PT and LP? I cannot stand their characters.

I don't blame you. I watched all of them before posting just to feel like I was being fair but you didn't miss anything by skipping those two. The only thing I remember about Leah's is that she said she can't cook and she loves her castmates. All I remember from Phoebe's was her accent and saying she would like to live in Fiji.

I watched all the videos from The Originals first and then the ones from TVD which made the answers from TVD even worse. Even Matt Davis and Ian Somerhalder (the two you can rely on to say something weird) were so boring and fake. Candice Accola was asked which other character on TVD she would like to play and she said she really likes Caroline because she knows her so well. Yeah, that level of boring. Paul Wesley was the only one who was even remotely entertaining but he was nowhere near as awesome as Joseph Morgan and Daniel Gillies.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo

http://tvline.com/2014/12/17/arrow-season-3-spoilers-sara-canary-returns/

TV Line answered a few questions about different shows on TV, and one of them was The Originals! (spoilerish for other shows as well, so I've included the Originals bit below if you don't want to click the source)

I don’t want to wait until January. What can you tell me about The Originals in 2015? — Katie
How’s this, Katie: Now that baby Hope is back in town, we’ll be learning more about her, including any powers she might already be developing. “We want to explore what makes the child of Klaus, a hybrid, and Hayley, a werewolf, completely different from any other child on this planet,” exec producer Michael Narducci says. “You’ll begin to see certain signs — subtle at first, then maybe not-so-subtle — in terms of how this baby is something completely unique.”

This is definitely an issue that needs explaining and defining, so I am excited!

• Love 2

I'm pretty over the magical baby plot.

I was actually hoping for Vampire Boarding school or something.

I don't exactly mind the "idea" of the hybrid baby but I'm not looking forward to actually having to watch Klaus doing daddy time.

Although with the ratings not doing so great I'm hoping the writers prove me wrong... and we don't wander into Breaking Dawn territory.

So was Jeremy's on TVD, didn't stop them from bringing back his original body although it made no sense.

Good point

Silly me I forgot the "powers that be" only use their own logic when a full moon happens to fall on the third Friday in a month....Translation- Whenever it fits into their "organic" writing.

Although, if this type of logic brings NB on my screen more, I'm all for it!

Good point

Silly me I forgot the "powers that be" only use their own logic when a full moon happens to fall on the third Friday in a month....Translation- Whenever it fits into their "organic" writing.

Although, if this type of logic brings NB on my screen more, I'm all for it!

Taking my reply this to the The Original's general discussion (I just dreated... how did we not have one?)

http://www.buddytv.com/slideshows/the-originals/the-originals-episode-210-gonna-set-your-flag-on-fire-26130.aspx

Summary and stills from "Gonna set your flag on fire".... Could be considered spoilerish if you avoid previews and such.

Dipping into the shallow end of the pool for a minute. Damn, DG certainly know how to wear a suit!

And while I'm in the pool I'll head to the bitchy end to say, even Leah Pipes face annoys me in these stills...  God only knows how much worse it will be when I have to watch the actual scene.

• Love 1

TCA press tour with TVD/TO- Slightly spoilerish for general themes for the rest of the year.

I'm not sure why exactly, but I seem to find most of TO's cast and writers comments about the fans somewhat patronizing.  Maybe because I have previously read some very rude articles/comments that have colored my opinion of them..... BUT I still think they manage to come off as slightly put off, even when they might not necessarily mean to..

I'm not sure why exactly, but I seem to find most of TO's cast and writers comments about the fans somewhat patronizing.  Maybe because I have previously read some very rude articles/comments that have colored my opinion of them..... BUT I still think they manage to come off as slightly put off, even when they might not necessarily mean to..

Which comments did you find patronizing? Also, which rude articles/comments have colored your opinion? (Not disagreeing, just wondering).

The interview sounded like the usual pap to me. Plec & Co always talk about these shows like they're a live action version of Tiger Beat, and it always strikes me as obnoxious and patronizing. Also, it makes me feel bad/uncomfortable for the actors to be paraded around like that (eg:  using that clip show of "hot" and/or shirtless moments as part of the intro). It's got this weird ~pimping out~ vibe to me. Though the actors themselves are likely fine with it, who knows. Anyway, I don't keep up with interviews or anything with this group (esp. TVD) because they usually come off as sleazy and embarrassing to me anyway -- so I'm pretty out of the loop.

I gotta tell you, the Tiger Beat line really cracked me up! And I 100% agree with your entire post.
As far as the particle article I uploaded....

“Narducci says that they're writing the stories they love, regardless of ratings and he notes that he got blasted by some fans on Twitter for not appeasing the fans. They say that their level of passion wouldn't be the same if they just did what fans wanted. Plec requires a time that Narducci almost missed a flight because he was in the middle of a Twitter fight with a super-fan”.

I don’t love the idea of being told that I’m only passionate about a show if I don’t get what I want and can complain about it. Also, almost missing a flight due to a Twitter war... really?

This is going to be a bit of a ramble so if it's not your thing, move on nothing to see here...

In regards to my jaded opinion… It started over the summer after reading an article talking about the  TO writers, producers, and cast ( cast spouses as well in some cases) getting involved in negative fan opinions on social media.  Frankly the article was over my head with a lot of the items playing out on twitter,  tumblr, and other social media sites that I don’t involve myself in.

I ended up having dinner with a friend who is in Public relations for one of the larger cable networks and inquired about the article.
She explained that in the last few years or so the idea of social media advertising for your show has really taken off from just the idea of Facebook to twitter, tumblr, and more things that I can’t remember now. Basically she outlined exactly what the acticle noted about direct access to promote your vehicle.  She also said networks like The CW are a nightmare as far PR because you’re dealing with younger cast and audience… along with the idea that since both are predominatly younger they have more access and interest in Social media.  Sooo your constantly watching and trying to prepare to contain the next explosion.

In the case with The Originals....

Not surprisingly there was a lot of online criticism of the characters of Cami and Hayley, along with the general idea of “mystical baby plot”.  I won’t go into detail on the specifics here since the childishness blew my mind.

Anyhow IMO…..
Unless you’re at Kurt Sutter level of fan and network love ( Because apparently that man can do whatever the FUCK he wants and it’s considered pure genius) it seems counterproductive to alienate any of the small fan base you have. 
Right or wrong The TO family is the “parent” in this situation, you don’t respond to bad behavior you rise above it.  Don’t respond to nasty tweets, don’t comment on what people say on anti Tumblr pages, don’t re-tweet mean tweets and explain why the person is an idiot.   You guys are the professionals and by definition getting paid for this, while the fan who commented - “Cami’s dumb.. Klaroline forever!”  is  a) probable a teenager b) Still watching your show c) and not getting paid to deal with comments back.
So for heaven’s sake be a professional and don’t engage or sink to these type of antics. It's counterproductive.

Sorry for the mini rant for anyone not really interested in this type of information.  I think I found it somewhat disheartening since I always found the The Originals charming to their fans when they were on the mother ship doing media.

• Love 4

I actually wish that writers and EPs would straight up just not answer questions or respond to fan tweets/posts unless it's a case of a misunderstanding, some factual question, etc. Otherwise, any response just ends up fueling fire in some direction, and honestly most of these people are not diplomatic. I get it because when I see the kinds of things people tweet at them, and...yikes. It'd be hard to ignore the vitriol. But they should. Have assistants/PR people follow the social media stuff and give reports on the responses to things; prompt the EPs when something is really bubbling up that needs to be addressed, etc. But most critical/fan complaints can be addressed via traditional interviews, panel discussions, etc., where you have a little more time to think about your response, more words to use to make yourself clear. Obviously, a lot of times, they still screw up in those situations too, but then that's on them for not thinking things through beforehand.

And the thing is, I really love social media for all sorts of reasons. I follow select people from my shows, but I often end up unfollowing people who respond to fans/trolls because those responses are so tricky (the other reason is that a lot of the celebs are deadly dull and have terrible spelling/grammar). For TO, I only follow Daniel Gillies at this point. On TVD, it's just Paul Wesley.

• Love 2

I actually wish that writers and EPs would straight up just not answer questions or respond to fan tweets/posts unless it's a case of a misunderstanding, some factual question, etc. Otherwise, any response just ends up fueling fire in some direction, and honestly most of these people are not diplomatic. I get it because when I see the kinds of things people tweet at them, and...yikes. It'd be hard to ignore the vitriol. But they should. Have assistants/PR people follow the social media stuff and give reports on the responses to things; prompt the EPs when something is really bubbling up that needs to be addressed, etc. But most critical/fan complaints can be addressed via traditional interviews, panel discussions, etc., where you have a little more time to think about your response, more words to use to make yourself clear. Obviously, a lot of times, they still screw up in those situations too, but then that's on them for not thinking things through beforehand.

Exactly! It seems like such an obvious and safe option that it boggles my mind.

My friend mentioned a situation where a writer for TO went on an Anti Tumblr page to see negative posts in regards to herself and then commented on Twitter how it made her so sad (sad face included in the post).

Again, I'm not too familiar with Tumblr but I believe "Anti" pages are like the "Un-popular Opinion" pages that were popular on TWOP. What the heck did you expect to find there, rainbows and unicorns??

Oh, I think that was Carina Mackenzie, and she's an interesting case, because up until like two years ago, she was a TV reporter for Zap2It. And she covered TVD for them, among other things. This is going to sound catty, but even in my crazy-about-TVD days a few years back, I never followed her on social media or read her articles because I found her schmoozing with the people she reported on to be unprofessional and tacky. I mean, she kissed so much ass, and then just became a personal friend of JP's and some of the cast members, and then suddenly she was a writer for The Originals. And, I mean, good for her, that strategy worked I guess. (Jarrett Weiselman of Buzzfeed is friends with her and does the same thing, but not quite so publicly.) But anyway, because of her weird position as reporter but also TVD insider (even prior to joining the staff), she used to get a lot of questions from fans who treated her like she had influence or authority or whatever. So I can see how people would turn on her, because she was super defensive of the show and its staff, and could be rude to people who were critical. But then when you become an actual member of the staff, you need to disengage a bit, and she probably didn't. And yeah, you know, don't go trolling in the anti-Your Name tag on Tumblr unless you want to see hate. And when you do, don't complain about it.

• Love 2

I don’t love the idea of being told that I’m only passionate about a show if I don’t get what I want and can complain about it. Also, almost missing a flight due to a Twitter war... really?

ITA - this isn't some sort of interactive art project or even a Choose Your Own Adventure book. The writers' job is to create interesting stories, well developed characters, etc. They should not be considering what the audience wants or doesn't want (especially if they are only considering it so that they can do the opposite of what they think the audience wants). I am not saying they should disregard the audience completely but I also don't think what we think should be part of the writing process. And I really hate when anyone thinks that the most obnoxious and vocal fans are the ones you should be catering to.

• Love 2

Oh, I think that was Carina Mackenzie, and she's an interesting case, because up until like two years ago, she was a TV reporter for Zap2It.

Yep, I believe that was the writer she mentioned. Although she also mentioned Leah and Phoebe doing the same type of things and jumping to each other’s "defense". Then I believe Jomo's wife jumped on some anti Klaroline bandwagon somewhat publically. By the end of the conversation I wished I hadn't even brought it up!

My main problem with The Originals is Cami and Phoebe, from their acting ability to their storylines.... the last thing I needed was to also think they were a bunch of babies!

Highlight to the conversation though.... I asked my girlfriend how she knew so much about something not on her network and she told me it was brought up in one of her divisional meetings as an example of how NOT to let social media be a negative outlet for your show!

For some reason that just cracked me up!

ITA - this isn't some sort of interactive art project or even a Choose Your Own Adventure book. The writers' job is to create interesting stories, well developed characters, etc. They should not be considering what the audience wants or doesn't want (especially if they are only considering it so that they can do the opposite of what they think the audience wants). I am not saying they should disregard the audience completely but I also don't think what we think should be part of the writing process. And I really hate when anyone thinks that the most obnoxious and vocal fans are the ones you should be catering to.

This is exactly what I meant!

The creators of Breaking Bad tell me they have a vision they are telling, no fan influence involved- I believe them.

Julie Plec & Co tell me that in regards to the teenage vampire show they write for The CW... Ehhhhh, I've seen too many Delena scenes to buy that BS.

Here's the thing, I understand fan service to some degree. This is the job they do to provide for themselves and their family. So it's pretty pointless to write a TV show no likes or watches.  The writers should be telling the story they want, but also be flexible enough to adjust if something is or isn't working.

But please don't preach to the fans when criticized saying it's because you "Don't do fan service and we're all just mad"... It's patronizing.

• Love 2

Totally agree. I feel like fan response should be taken into account only in the sense that if there is sort of a consensus about certain things--if you're hearing negativity from critics and fans alike, then it probably means whatever you're trying to do isn't working. Some things work on page and don't translate to screen, and I think it would be stupid and stubborn to ignore that (or vice versa, if you're surprised something works so well, then explore that further maybe). But other than that, you know, I hope you're a strong enough storyteller to shrug about what fans want and go where the characters take you. And some people won't like that, but it's your best chance of creating a good product.

Anyway. When it comes to The Originals, I really don't think there's much that has reached that level of critical/fan consensus. The only thing I can think of that many fans and critics brought up as a negative was how terrible the witches were--they were weak characters, played by weak actors, and they were truly abhorrent people. Which sucked because they should have been a stronger, cooler force on the show, and it would have been nice not to actively root against a group of women. But, the show course-corrected by doing away with all but Davina, and then replacing those witches with the dead Mikaelsons. And I know a lot of people don't like Cami or Hayley, but I don't mind them. I think the actresses could be stronger and the characters could have been better conceived (Cami especially, since she wasn't a heritage character and they could have done anything at all with her and instead...). But otherwise, other than the Klaroline people, I don't think there's a strong contingent of fans on any one side of anything, which is kind of refreshing.

Edited by Carrie Ann
  • Love 1

*Spoilers* for TO as well as others shows.

Non spoiler TO/TVD mention....

Now that The CW has seen how successful the crossover between Arrow/Flash was, is there any chance they would consider doing something like that with The Originals/The Vampire Diaries? –Emmy

I hand-delivered your Q to CW president Mark Pedowitz, and he’s game only if the sister series’ producers are. “For me, when you’re doing crossovers, they have to have a level of organic basis; otherwise they feel forced and the audience recognizes it,” he said. “So it’s up to them. If they think it’s the right way to go, I’m fine.”

If I hear the word organic one more time......

Also, if you watch these shows you know......... ain't nothing been organic for a loooong time my friend!

• Love 1