Type keyword(s) to search

The Incredible Dr. Pol - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On the farm where Dr. Pol was neutering a bunch of steers, what was stuck all over their hind parts -- poop?  (I was at the far end of the room and too cozy by the fire to move closer to the TV to look.)

2 minutes ago, Bastet said:

On the farm where Dr. Pol was neutering a bunch of steers, what was stuck all over their hind parts -- poop?  (I was at the far end of the room and too cozy by the fire to move closer to the TV to look.)

Bovines poop more liquidly than other barnyard critters, so their tails are often encrusted with poop.

That poor lady with the beautiful cat. 😢 

Can’t believe that little dog had seven puppies! Hope they spay her.

Doc was cute with Charlie and the new mini horse.

Charles shaved for the wedding! Congratulations to the new Mr. and Mrs. Pol. 🥂

• Love 3

I absolutely love this series.  Now in its 14th season, I never get tired of watching it.  Last night I watched three episodes, one of which I'd seen before.  So happy that Charles found love with his longtime friend.  Did they say why they married in North Carolina?  Maybe her family is there.  Looked like a gloomy day, but it didn't ruin the wedding.

• Love 4

Okay, great, you took in your aunt’s dog when the rest of the family wanted to dump her at the shelter, but then you let her not only get pregnant but whelp a litter?  Better than people who make a living by deliberate breeding, but, damn, I get angry with these people and wish I was watching Dr. Jeff’s show, so I’d know this was the last litter.  Yee haw, seven more puppies in a country in which two or three million dogs are euthanized in shelters each year simply because there are more of them than there are homes.  No “oh, they’re so cute!” celebrating from me.

I missed who died that Princess’s owner wound up with her (there was a loud noise outside at the time), but that cat needed an ultrasound – how does a vet practice with Pol’s volume need to jump right from x-ray to exploratory surgery?  I hope that was just skipped over, because the point was once they got in there it was clearly cancer and her quality of life had already decreased to where euthanasia was the most humane choice, but it’s an odd thing not to mention.

I like Dr. Emily’s “No!” about rolling the pregnant cow, but that made the “tack the stomach in place” procedure even crazier for the poor cow.  I’m glad it all worked out.  That cow had the cutest brown spots.

Probie had an adorable face in general, and such a “Yep, I ate my doghouse.  And?” expression in particular.

Bleu the calf was so adorably sad (emphasis on adorable), and I love the owner’s dedication.  Not to mention Dr. Emily kissing him.

“We have our own homes, our own stuff” – gee, then how about not registering for a gift grab?  You don’t have to be tacky twits just because you’re getting married.  But I liked Charles and Beth’s wedding and their apparently not giving a shit that the weather sucked – they had their core group of people with them, and just celebrated the occasion.  (I also wondered why they got married somewhere other than where they live [but not a traditional "destination wedding" location], and it's not like they did the old-school bride's hometown thing, because they apparently grew up together.)

• Love 1

I thought the woman had just recently got the dog and didn’t know she was pregnant.

Princess’s mom said that Princess had belonged to her “significant other” and she got Princess when he passed away.

Bleu was adorable with those huge floppy ears and soulful eyes.

I assumed that Beth’s parents had moved to North Carolina.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I thought the woman had just recently got the dog and didn’t know she was pregnant.

Yes, IIRC she only had the dog for a week.... even do, I hope the dog is spayed once the pups are weaned - I'm totally on board with Dr Jeff's practice stressing neuter/spay

5 hours ago, LittleIggy said:

I assumed that Beth’s parents had moved to North Carolina.

Sort of what I figured, as well. ... my question - were both father and mother of the bride on crutches? Also wondered if father was an amputee, or maybe I just couldn't see his leg because of the dark slacks?

• Love 2
54 minutes ago, SRTouch said:

Yes, IIRC she only had the dog for a week.... even do, I hope the dog is spayed once the pups are weaned - I'm totally on board with Dr Jeff's practice stressing neuter/spay

Yes, I never got the impression that she had bred the dog or even knew it was preggers. Glad the lady took the dog in.

Totally agree about the spay/neuter.

5 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

They do have that statement on the front of every episode stating that they aren't showing every procedure, and all of the treatments.

I was about to mention that. No way they can show everything.

• Love 2

I haven't continued to watch this show for so many years because of interesting or cutting-edge treatments (I save that for the vet hospital series). I've dropped other shows along the way but still enjoy Dr. Pol because of his boundless energy and enthusiasm. It's inspirational to me.

From last week's episode, did we ever get a follow-up on the cat with the horribly swollen paw? I think I nodded off.

It also occurred to me that Pol is the right vet for owners who think cat carriers are frivolous nonsense and just put their pets on the car seat and carry them in their arms. That cat was remarkably calm about having his sore paw prodded!

• Love 4

It’s hard to believe that Doc Pol is in his seventies! I’m so glad they got that foal out alive. He sure was a big boy. It was sweet how Doc talked to the mare who had the dead foal.☹️

That sweet lady who rescued the kitten really needs dental care. Don’t get me started about the health care system in this country...😡

BTW, does anyone else watch “Hanging With the Hendersons,” the new vet show on AP? I’m a sucker for vet shows, so I’m watching it (doesn’t hurt that the vet brothers are hotties! 😏). They had the sweetest cat, Tux, on there Saturday night. Tux loved to give hugs. Sadly, he passed on. 😢

• Love 1

The cute little crusty-eyed kitten almost made up for seeing yet another damn breeder celebrated.  I got a good chuckle out of naming him Fitter because he was found in a pipe, and laughed outright when Dr. Emily had no idea what a pipefitter is.  "Is that a tool or a person?" with a big smile -- hee.  (It's a person.)

I also laughed when the guy with the dehydrated pig said he'd never seen fluids injected into the belly before, Dr. Emily said, "I saw Dr. Pol do it once," and the guy basically shrugged and said, "Okay."

I, too, thought it was sweet the way Dr. Pol talked to the horse whose foal came out dead. 

And I was amused by the cow who kept trying to get away from Dr. Brenda.

I hope the owner whose dog got into rat poison gets some traps instead; I hate seeing poison used, because it's a needlessly inhumane way of killing rats plus it creates significant potential for collateral damage, with other animals getting into the poison directly or eating a poisoned rodent.  I'm glad she knew her dog had eaten the poison and was thus able to treat him in time, since they don't show symptoms at first.

Oh, and no contest between Tater and that baby -- Tater is cuter!

• Love 2

I’ve become such a diehard Dr. Pol fan that, hearing about the polar vortex in the Midwest, I immediately thought about the people and animals in that part of MI. Hope everyone there (and the other places in the deep freeze) are okay. It’s cold here in the Shenandoah Valley, but nothing like that!

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 7

OMG  I've been doing the same thing.  I especially think of Dr. Emily since she grew up in Georgia and never had to deal with low subzero temps and wind chill into the ridiculous -40 or whatever number.  I wonder if they also have to deal with snow drifts blocking the roads.   Fun and games.

• Love 4

Wow, that Code Blue on Coco the Doberman was so similar to what happened to a dog on Hanging With the Hendersons. There the dog has a tumor on her spleen (which Dr. Emily said Coco might have) which ruptured. When Dr. Emily mentioned a tumor on the spleen I was like “Oh, no!” since that dog died. So I got to cry two nights in a row...😞

That baby pig was so adorbs! 

The Pols’ granddaughter has a a good heart. That sweet old dog will get to finish up his life happily.

BTW, I started a forum for Hanging With the Hendersons. It’s under “Other H Shows” if anyone is interested.

• Love 1

Cersei the goat actually lucked out. Now she won’t be auctioned off at the fair. I saw an episode this afternoon in which Dr. Pol saw how upset a little boy was about selling his 4-H goat at the fair. Doc bought the goat and gave it back to the little boy. 💕

That pony and her foal were so adorbs! So was Gabriel the baby reindeer.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3

I hope that poor horse that lost so much weight got better. The naked rat was adorbs. I had a pet rat once. His name was Sméagol. He loved grits. When I made myself a bowl, Sméagol got some. When I said “It’s grits today,” he got excited. Miss that little fella.

• Love 2

Poor Diane!   The look on her face when she saw Jan's face was so sad.     

I really hope one of the cats was rehomed, before Cloudy gets hurt again.  Unfortunately, I've known too many people that think animal conflicts in the house like that will eventually settle down, and they just don't.  

• Love 3
On 2/16/2019 at 9:32 PM, LittleIggy said:

I hope that poor horse that lost so much weight got better. The naked rat was adorbs. I had a pet rat once. His name was Sméagol. He loved grits. When I made myself a bowl, Sméagol got some. When I said “It’s grits today,” he got excited. Miss that little fella.

Re: The horse. It's irritating that the woman waited so long before she said anything. How much weight can a horse lose before it's critical?

• Love 1

I’ve watched so many episodes of TIDP that I can diagnose milk fever! When the owner said that dog was nursing a bunch of puppies, I said “Milk fever! Give her calcium!” 😆

I wonder what happened to that poor yellow lab. ☹️

I like the new vet. 

• Love 1

I missed most/all of the previous two episodes, so I was happy to get back into the show last night, although I was still occasionally distracted (by my cat, so it's worth it).

On Dr. Brenda’s first farm call shown, I laughed at the mini horse coming along and attempting to steal the bucket of the donkey’s food while the latter was being worked on.

Poor little Bailey; another damn breeder not only contributing to the homeless pet overpopulation crisis, but not knowing the basics about potential complications for the dog they’re exploiting.

Choco the calf is adorable.  The lone survivor piglet, too (baby just-about-everythings-except-humans peg my “aww” meter), and I liked the kids’ reaction when she came to life. 

Dr. Nicole seems to fit in well; I hope we get to see more of her.

The “oh, let’s just take her home with pain meds” plan for Lila and her unspecified heart condition is a common enough refrain I wonder how far away the nearest specialty facility is.  (And the nearest emergency clinic, since Pol takes after-hours emergency calls at the office, not just in the field.)  There are so many factors that go into pursuing diagnostics (and possibly treatment) beyond that provided by one's primary care vet – degree of access in the first place, ability to pay, ability but willingness to pay, odds of additional information/treatment being worth it to the animal, etc. – and there’s so much “eh, let’s try X” based on limited diagnostic testing* on this show, I’m always curious as to the balance of the reasons for it in a given case.

*Seemingly, because, after all, they don't show everything.  But they do interview the treating vet afterwards and there is often also no mention of additional testing in their summaries.

• Love 1

My guess is when they say specialty clinic, in many cases they're talking the vet school at MSU, in Lansing.   

In one of the earliest episodes, Dr. Pol talked about treating more animals, than the number of people in Mount Pleasant, so I think that's a lot of the small animal clients near the clinic.    I don't think there are that many vets in that part of the state, that have a mixed practice because he has the large animal, and small animal practices, and he'll also see just about any species.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 1
37 minutes ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

My guess is when they say specialty clinic, in many cases they're talking the vet school at MSU, in Lansing.   

If that's the closest, it's over an hour away.  I looked up where Pol is located - Weidman, MI - and it's a) very tiny (even more than I'd have guessed from the show, b) very white (that was quite clear from the show), and c) pretty much smack dab in the middle of the state.  They make it seem on the show like they do a decent volume of business inside the clinic (setting aside the farm calls; just domestic animals - and the birds only Dr. Pol will treat), so for that many clients in a town that small, people must be coming in from several other small towns (it looks like it's about 15-29 minutes between towns in that neck of the woods).  We know there are other vets in their county, from hearing clients mention calling around (and confirmed by a cursory internet search), but probably just a few.  So it may indeed be that far to the nearest specialty hospital.

One of many, many reasons - not that I need one beyond the weather - I would not live there.  It's interesting, though; beyond the animals, this show is a bit of an anthropological experience, like traveling.

• Love 2

Wasn’t there a piglet born before that poor sow’s uterus ruptured? The kids were holding a little piglet while all those dead piglets and the one survivor were pulled out. Farm kids are tough! At that age, I would have freaked out at the sight of all those dead piglets.

• Love 2

Would have liked a follow up on the cow that had his urethra rearranged. Hope it worked.  That poor couple with their dog! I can't believe there weren't some other symptoms before it got that bad. The horse with the eye scratch kicking the guy in the head. I wonder if that medicine burned it it was reacting. 

• Love 1

The guy who got kicked in the head was partially responsible.  First, he wouldn't let his wife hold the horse, despite her saying the horse was much calmer and didn't fuss with her holding it.  Second, he stood directly in front of the horse, without paying any attention to it or his position.  And third, he didn't let out the lead rope or jump out of the way when the horse reared.  When a 1,000 lb animal decides it is going up, trying to hold it down with a rope is futile.  Stand back, let it rear - it will soon come down on all 4 feet and you can then gain some semblance of "control".

I'm glad I ff'd through the critical dog - I just can't bear to watch that kind of scene (PTSD triggers for me).

I don't really care about Charles and his latest little "projects".  

Tomcats are a menace, and should be trapped and neutered - even if they "belong" to your ignorant fucking neighbor.  Ahem.

• Love 2
(edited)
36 minutes ago, walnutqueen said:

Tomcats are a menace, and should be trapped and neutered - even if they "belong" to your ignorant fucking neighbor.  Ahem.

50 years ago we were pretty ignorant about spay/neuter.  As a kid I thought it kinda of neat that more and more of the neighborhood kittens were being born polydactyl tuxedo like our tomcat Mittens - now I remember his many fight wounds and that he died at a very young age - maybe 5 or 6 years old. These days spay/neuter is something all my cats (currently have 5) get done.

Edited by SRTouch
  • Love 4
Just now, SRTouch said:

50 years ago we were pretty ignorant about spay/neuter.  As a kid I thought it kinda cool of neat that more and more of the neighborhood kittens were being born polydactyl tuxedo like our tomcat Mittens - now I remember his many fight wounds and that he died at a very young age - maybe 5 or 6 years old. These days spay/neuter is something all my cats (currently have 5) get done.

Yes.  I have a family of backyard "ferals" that were trapped, neutered & released as soon as they reached the 2 lb minimum.  They are a peaceful bunch who stick close to home, and happily share their food with raccoons, possums, skunks, birds, and other wandering neighborhood cats.  Currently 2 orange cats visit my back yard.  The shorthair is timid, never makes trouble, and gets along with my bunch.  The longhair is a total asshole, and is obviously a Tom looking for a fight.  Far be it from me to be cruel to any animal, but I do not allow him to attack my kitties, and chase him off with a stern word and startling rap on the window whenever I see him.  And yes, I am sorely tempted to catch & neuter him - but I can't afford it, and his "owners" don't deserve him back & fixed, because they allow him to roam day & night (he is NOT a stray).  Besides, any trap would catch a lot of critters before it ever caught him, and my critters shouldn't have to suffer that kind of trauma ...

I also had a polydactyl named Shoe Shoe - he was a huge orange tabby with 1 extra toe on each of his back feet and at least two extras on each of his front feet (they looked like a baseball catcher's glove!).  He lived with me for almost 17 years - indoor only, as all my cats were.

• Love 2

Dr. Pol has four vets on staff now! Interesting that they are all female.

The puppy “attacking” Doc’s pant leg was so adorbs.

That black bull with the sore hoof was quite the handsome fellow.

• Love 1

I've got to figure out a way to watch the inevitable parade of breeders on this show without spiking my blood pressure.

Let's review - you let your dog labor for over 24 hours to get all the puppies out, and when that sent her poor tiny body into a meltdown so that she stopped eating and drinking (because she was busy puking and shooting out black tar diarrhea), you waited five days to bring her in?  Fuck you.  I'm glad that poor dog survived her "we love her dearly; she's part of the family" idiot of an owner.

Those poor folks who lost their dog out of the blue to an intestinal torsion!  I hope it's at least of some small comfort that they were able to bring him in as an emergency and go all out, then have a necropsy done -- they know there was nothing they could have done to prevent it, nothing more they could have done to try to treat it.

I, too, wanted an update on the calf who had to have his urethra rerouted.  A lot of these farmers are hard to read, and I was worried he wasn't even going to bother with the surgery.

Charles's wife is very perky.  I hate perky.  But telling the baby peacocks "Let's go see Grandma and Grandpa" was adorable.

The black barn cat hissing at Tater through the window was funny. 

• Love 1
(edited)
8 hours ago, Bastet said:

I've got to figure out a way to watch the inevitable parade of breeders on this show without spiking my blood pressure.

As far as I'm concerned, ALL breeders can take a flying fuck.  Yes, I'm painting with a broad brush, and no, I don't care if you consider yourself to be a "responsible breeder".  I won't be changing my mind until there are no unwanted or homeless pets.

Tater is awesome.  Would either make friends with that hissy-pissy* barn cat, or open a can of 3 legged whup-ass on it.

* I call one of my backyard semi-ferals 'Hissy Pissy'.  He's all hiss & no bite; comes a running whenever I call, but acts like I'm an axe murderer if I happen to get too close (while I'm loving on his less-cranky brothers).  He's a pistol!

Edited by walnutqueen
Inadvertent apostrophe. I HATE it when that happens!
  • Love 1

In previous episodes, we've seen Pol speak to the economics of farming and how he understands that the loss of an animal or their ability to produce milk/eggs/meat is a loss of money for a farm.  He's particularly sensitive to this since he was raised on a farm himself.  So I guess he also regards dog breeders similarly.  I'd be interested to know what his true feelings are about this when the cameras aren't rolling.  Unlike other vet shows, he's very careful not to make statements that are controversial.  When he treats an exotic pet, he doesn't rail against the pet trade, he just steps up and helps it, and then says that he's happy to do what he can, even if it's not an animal he knows much about.  I guess this is pretty old school in general.

• Love 3

I think a lot of people from Pol Vet opt for the take him home and pray route because it's cheaper. You gotta remember, people come thousands of miles to see Dr. Jeff because he's affordable and will do even the most complicated surgeries for under a thousand dollars. Most people who have pets that need pins to hold bones, or complicated surgeries can't afford the 5 to 10 thousand dollar price tag the pros would charge so they opt for amputation or take 'em home and pray.

It's sad, really, that vet care is so damned expensive. 

I have a hard time getting close to the newbies because they're gone before you can exhale. I usually wait a season (or two) before I even acknowledge their presences.

And actually, Pol Vet has FIVE Vets (two newbies). How that's gonna work with only 4 treatment rooms...maybe this will free up Dr. Pol to do farm calls Exclusively?

I'm glad Charles found someone who not only gets him but gets his lifestyle as well. She's not scared of cow poop, and get that it may be a late night for him. He's the Executive Producer for the show (the whole thing was his baby) after all, so between farm calls with dad, and meetings with staff, he's crazy busy. I was worried he'd end up either alone or with someone who was only after that NatGeo Wild/Pol family money...glad he married his best friend.

• Love 3

They said something this week about four vets on staff, so I think some come to stay, and others just come for an externship or something like that.   Plus, even if someone thinks they want a mixed large and small animal practice, I bet that the reality isn't for everyone.    I'm hoping Dr Nicole stays, she seems to have a real affinity for farm work, as well as small animal practice.   

• Love 2
(edited)

I hope extra hands means more time off for the original vets.    I wonder if this is why they put the extension on the vet clinic a few seasons ago?     On the Pol Vet Facebook there is a posting for International Women's Day, with Dr. Brenda, Dr. Emily, Dr. Erin and Dr. Nicole, and my favorite of all time Diane Pol.    

I really like both of the new vets, and hope they stay.  

Edited by CrazyInAlabama
  • Love 2

I know nothing about rural life and county fairs, so that episode was entertaining and informative. The little kids with the little calves were adorbs. So funny when the girl’s goat bit the judge’s butt! 😆 Cute shot of a girl sleeping with her cows.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, LittleIggy said:

How on earth did that Chihuahua get a blade of grass up his nose?

I'm still watching, but I'd guess the same way my cat Baxter - whose blade of grass was two inches longer than the dog's - did; he bit it off whole, choked on it, and in the back-and-forth of that in the airway, it wound up in the nasal cavity.

When it happened (many years ago; Bax is unfortunately long gone), I found Baxter seemingly choking on something, but couldn't find an obstruction.  It kept on, so I rushed him to the vet, who also couldn't visualize anything in the throat and thus did an x-ray.  As he was in the next room looking at the film (back when it was on film, heh), Baxter - in the exam room with me - sneezed, and an inch of green briefly shot out his nose on the output and went almost all the way back in on the following inhale.  I very carefully pulled on the little bit that remained, and a five-inch blade of grass came out intact. 

Just then, the vet came back in to say there was a sliver of something far down the nasal cavity on the x-ray and he'd need to sedate and scope.  I was happy to announce, and he was happy to hear, that Baxter had sneezed it forward, and I'd been able to retrieve and remove the culprit -- no further treatment necessary.

My mom - who also watches this show, and who got a "You won't believe this!" call when Baxter and I got home after his incident - and I actually crossed lines calling each other at the same time after tonight's segment before connecting to say, "Did you see that - it's like The Bax!"

Edited by Bastet
  • LOL 1
  • Love 4
13 hours ago, Bastet said:

I'm still watching, but I'd guess the same way my cat Baxter - whose blade of grass was two inches longer than the dog's - did; he bit it off whole, choked on it, and in the back-and-forth of that in the airway, it wound up in the nasal cavity.

When it happened (many years ago; Bax is unfortunately long gone), I found Baxter seemingly choking on something, but couldn't find an obstruction.  It kept on, so I rushed him to the vet, who also couldn't visualize anything in the throat and thus did an x-ray.  As he was in the next room looking at the film (back when it was on film, heh), Baxter - in the exam room with me - sneezed, and an inch of green briefly shot out his nose on the output and went almost all the way back in on the following inhale.  I very carefully pulled on the little bit that remained, and a five-inch blade of grass came out intact. 

Just then, the vet came back in to say there was a sliver of something far down the nasal cavity on the x-ray and he'd need to sedate and scope.  I was happy to announce, and he was happy to hear, that Baxter had sneezed it forward, and I'd been able to retrieve and remove the culprit -- no further treatment necessary.

My mom - who also watches this show, and who got a "You won't believe this!" call when Baxter and I got home after his incident - and I actually crossed lines calling each other at the same time after tonight's segment before connecting to say, "Did you see that - it's like The Bax!"

There's nothing I miss more than talking on the phone to my Mum - especially about the cats.  She loved them all, and spoiled them rotten whenever she came back to visit her real home - with us.

I want a BB gun ban as much as an assault weapons ban.  I've seen far too many animals become victims of these brutal weapons - from wild birds to the feral kitty I adopted.  I could tell you some horror stories about BB guns and their reprehensible owners.

So glad I stumbled upon this forum. I am a long time Dr. Pol fan and his clinic is only an hour from me.  But I don't get the who anymore since it moved to a cable station I don't get.  I was at the Rooftop Reindeer farm at Christmas and I talked to the owners about Dr. Brenda treating their reindeer. 

I had no idea Charles was married!  Good for him and hope they are a happy couple.  Love all of the staff at the practice and I hope to hell I have Dr. Pol's energy when I reach his age!

• Love 6

That reindeer farmer is my favorite client; he clearly cares about them as animals, not just as his business product.  We have twice so far seen him sleep out in the barn to monitor and comfort a seriously-ill reindeer.

And, yep, Charles actually found someone to marry him, a woman he's been friends with his whole life.  She's incredibly perky and bears a disturbing resemblance to his mom, but they seem well-suited to each other and happy. 

There's no hope of me having Dr. Pol's energy when I reach his age, because I don't have it now.  I take so many breaks now when I do manual labor on my house or yard, and he's out there pulling calves.  It's impressive for sure.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 7