Type keyword(s) to search

The Incredible Dr. Pol - General Discussion

• Start Topic

On 12/2/2020 at 10:57 AM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I stopped watching when Dr. Emily left.    It just wasn't fun any more for me.    I wonder if Emily and Tony ever sold the Michigan house?    Nicole seemed nice, but I guess I just had my fill of prolapses, and clients who won't stop breeding dogs for profit, and some clients that don't seem to bring animals to the vet when they need to. 

I watched this show for the first time today, and I was enraged at the woman who was griping about missing a Tigers game to bring in her little dog who was struggling to deliver her pups, and also enraged at this vet practice. The vet said the dog is too small to deliver naturally and the pups may be dead or die, so they did the THIRD c-section on the poor abused dog and were all, well, maybe if this happens again the dog should be spayed. Ya think? How about NOW? The pups lived. Then they took the little moneymakers out to the awful owner to congratulate her.

I won't be watching this again.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Ashforth said:

maybe if this happens again the dog should be spayed. Ya think? How about NOW? The pups lived. Then they took the little moneymakers out to the awful owner to congratulate her.

It's rural Michigan and I don't think he interferes into his clients' lives unless he just has to.   He is interested in animal welfare.  I've heard him say more than once pets should be neutered and spayed.

But I absolutely understand what you are saying.  Three C-sections is time to spay.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, Ashforth said:

I won't be watching this again.

That's the right call for your blood pressure - there are so damn many breeders among their clients.  It's one of the reasons I hardly ever watch anymore.

• Love 2

If a person wants a pedigreed dog, I doubt they will find one among the pit bulls and mixed types in the pound or animal shelter.  I'm sure there will always be a need for a dog breeder, but there should be inspections to make sure they're taking good care of their dogs and are not over-breeding them.

• Love 4
On 12/19/2020 at 1:06 PM, parrotfeathers said:

It's rural Michigan and I don't think he interferes into his clients' lives unless he just has to.   He is interested in animal welfare.  I've heard him say more than once pets should be neutered and spayed.

Also, Pol is very conscious of livelihood -- he was raised on a farm and understands (and has said) how tough it is to make a living that way.  That being said, a dog breeder isn't exactly the same thing, but it might be to him.  It's clearly not a well-to-do area.  So Pol does his job and keeps his feelings to himself.  I suspect that if someone brought in a dog that appeared to be horribly abused (and yes, giving birth to litter after litter constitutes abuse to us but at least these dogs look cared for), he might step in.

• Love 4

I watched this show for the first time today, and I was enraged at the woman who was griping about missing a Tigers game to bring in her little dog who was struggling to deliver her pups, and also enraged at this vet practice. The vet said the dog is too small to deliver naturally and the pups may be dead or die, so they did the THIRD c-section on the poor abused dog and were all, well, maybe if this happens again the dog should be spayed. Ya think? How about NOW? The pups lived. Then they took the little moneymakers out to the awful owner to congratulate her.

I seem to remember the show you are talking about. The person who said they were missing the Tigers game was one of the vet techs who was called in on their day off to assist with the surgery.

• Useful 2

Dr. Emily just posted a new video of her family romping and sledding in the snow:

At the very end:

Spoiler

A shot of Merlin, their St. Bernard ,who apparently died on Saturday (December 19). :-(

• Love 2

I'm watching S9:E4. And I'm so p8ssed off at the owner of a cat named Razor. She and her kid brought him in, saying oh he was gone from home for a few days and he came back and he's in pain and smells bad. Like "gosh we had no idea . . ." with innocent looks at the camera.

Turns out the cat (who had longish hair) had a huge mess in his anal area. His coat had matted back there, and feces had gotten stuck in that, and all of it had gotten so foul that his anus was rotting and crawling with maggots! Holy carp, that's not because, "well he was gone for a couple of days and came home with this." Nope. Nope. Nope. It takes awhile for that kind of nasty mess to develop. Not a couple of days.

That woman (the owner) was a lying liar who lied, and I suppose she thought she'd come across as a concerned pet owner in her minute of fame on a TV show. "Oh, gosh, we do cut his matts off out of his coat." Well, bitch, you sure hadn't done that lately. I felt so sorry for that poor cat. 

ETA: I might have cut her some slack if she hadn't been lying. I know people can be busy and just not notice if an animal's developing a problem, but FFS she could have just admitted it. "I feel so bad that we didn't realize he was getting so matted and dirty," would have been a lot more believable than what she said. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1
On 12/30/2020 at 2:29 PM, smittykins said:

I’m surprised that the lady with the diabetic dog was never taught to check his blood sugar at home.

And on a different note, I am SO tired of “There once was a man in a clinic...”

that poor cat..when they are riddled with  fleas they can be anemic and die from it... lady vet did not check the eyes  the pink part will look white..I know she had to take care of the sores  and the fleas.

and  the episode before that pol  was at a farm and removed a bloody cancer growth ..no gloves and hands it to the horse owner also not wearing gloves  and it was bloody...do either of them have any microscopic  cuts  on their hands .....I mean it was a bloody lump of cancer...I wouldn't touch it without gloves

Edited by sue450
8 hours ago, sue450 said:

that poor cat..when they are riddled with  fleas they can be anemic and die from it... lady vet did not check the eyes  the pink part will look white..I know she had to take care of the sores  and the fleas.

It's possible - IMO quite likely - that she did more than we saw on the show. They obviously have to edit the interactions with the patients and clients; I know it's a high volume practice but still I'm sure most clinic visits involve more than a couple of fast minutes in the treatment room.

But yes, that poor cat. I got a little squirmy when the owner said the usual "I had no idea." If an animal THAT flea-infested is living in your home, I'd be surprised if there weren't fleas and flea eggs in the house. A long long time ago when I lived in a hot humid climate, my cat got fleas and I darn well knew it - those little feckers hopped off the cat and onto my stuff. Not long after that I moved to a location with high elevation and dry climate, where fleas were generally not a problem. But what with the boom in population, we now have to deal with fleas on dogs and cats. Sigh.

• Love 1

Yes, everything is edited to fit the show.    They had to put the disclaimer about treatment isn't limited to what they show, because people from other states were filing complaints with the veterinary licensing board about treatments shown on TV, but weren't the full extent of what happened.    They now show a similar warning on the other Animal Planet, and vet shows too.

• Love 1

It seems that last night's "new" episode was cobbled together from footage shot before the pandemic shut things down. Has there been any comment or explanation about that from the show or the clinic? I assume that they continued making their farm calls but probably changed their clinic procedures as did most vet clinics that I've heard about, during the pandemic. Dropping your animal off at the door, waiting out in the parking lot, etc. 

ETA: So I found this article, and it seems they've adapted clinic procedures for COVID. He mentions having "remote cameras" in all the exam rooms which I think means they don't have actual crews in there: https://www.hollywoodsoapbox.com/interview-dr-pol-on-how-covid-19-has-impacted-his-clinic/

Also, the clinic website outlines the COVID-19 procedures: https://polvetservices.com/

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1

Well, last night I watched the episode that had their 50th wedding/vow renewal ceremony and it was really sweet. They seem to still be very in love and enjoy each other so much. 

This series has become my evening calm down routine.  Not sure I need to see all the parts with one of them with their arm up the cow's butt, especially the ones without any covering on their arms, but fast forward gets me thru those parts.

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, cinsays said:

Well, last night I watched the episode that had their 50th wedding/vow renewal ceremony and it was really sweet. They seem to still be very in love and enjoy each other so much. 

They even had the minister who married them officiate at the vow renewal. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

They even had the minister who married them officiate at the vow renewal. 

yeah, and he already had looked middle-aged when they first married.  he held up rather well

i was trying to get a look at their 3 kids, because i have only seen charles and then there is the blond gal that might be a daughter, though i have never heard her actually talk, but not sure about another one

guess i could google them

I love that Jan and Diane did their vow renewal in the same outfits that they wore to their wedding.

They have three children, Charles, Diane Jr. and the other daughter who isn't on the show.  The other daughter is the mother of two of the older grandchildren, sadly her son died a few years ago, and they were both on the show a few times.     Then Charles has Abigail with his wife, Beth.  

14 hours ago, CrazyInAlabama said:

Yes, Diane's Jr.'s mother was BFF with Diane, and the Pol's had her as a foster daughter after the mother died.   Then when she turned 18, the Pol's adopted her.    They're such a wonderful family.  

Oh, I had no idea Diane Jr. was not actually their birth child. Had wondered about the strange naming. Very sweet of the Pols to have adopted her, just further confirms how nice these people are.

• Love 1
On 1/3/2021 at 2:37 PM, CrazyInAlabama said:

I love that Jan and Diane did their vow renewal in the same outfits that they wore to their wedding.

They have three children, Charles, Diane Jr. and the other daughter who isn't on the show.  The other daughter is the mother of two of the older grandchildren, sadly her son died a few years ago, and they were both on the show a few times.     Then Charles has Abigail with his wife, Beth.  

the son (jan and dianes  grandson)  suffered from depression very sad when he died....a fews years before that his father (jan and dianes son-in-law)died of cancer

I've been working from home for almost a year now.  I've gone through about everything and I'm so happy that I found this show.  Wow, I'm in awe of this every day.  I've got Disney + so I started from Season 1 now... I love it.  You'd think that watching him stick his arms up Cow's and everything else would get old.. but nah.   I wish I could get in the time machine and go back and be a vet.  I'd never be as good as Dr. Pol.. I love this show so much!!!!!  Just had to share. 

• Love 5

Glad they were able to save the hypothermic puppy. Hope they put the dogs in a different place so that didn't happen again. 

The poor chicken with water buildup, that's the weirdest thing! Wonder if it's still alive.

• Love 1

Those idiots couldn’t tell that the poor puppy was hypothermic? Thank goodness the poor baby survived. BTW, Dr. Ray is very nice-looking.

That poor chicken! 
I love Tater! He makes me smile every time I see him.

Edited by LittleIggy
  • Love 3
On 1/9/2021 at 9:56 PM, LittleIggy said:

Those idiots couldn’t tell that the poor puppy was hypothermic? Thank goodness the poor baby survived. BTW, Dr. Ray is very nice-looking.

Every time I see him, I think he looks like James McAvoy.

• Love 2
On 1/9/2021 at 10:56 PM, LittleIggy said:

That poor chicken! 
I love Tater! He makes me smile every time I see him.

I finally saw this episode a week late, last night. I agree, that poor puppy. TBH I was tired and sleepy when watching and think one of the episodes I watched was new last night. Or, this could have been in last week's episode. Anyway, there was a white dog with a huge ear hematoma; he came back later for surgery from Dr. Lisa. But, he was a mostly white short-haired dog - and his overall coat looked awful. There were areas that looked scaly and some spots that also looked bloody. Did they explain what was up with that? 

I'm still figuring out YouTube TV. I cut cable TV and got YouTube TV instead. It gives me pretty much all the channels I usually watch and I'm saving some serious coin every month. But. I'm finding the interface sometimes confusing, and unlike with Xfinity, there's no handy On Demand feature. I *can* add shows to my "library," which seems to set up auto recordings of upcoming episodes. Last week I hadn't added this show to my "library," wasn't watching when it was on, so I missed it and didn't have a recording to watch, nor could I access the new episode on demand or online. 

Sometimes adding a show to the "library" seems to record even upcoming repeats but last night's repeat of last week's episode wasn't recorded. Humpf.

Sorry to go off topic, but there's so much recycled content in this "new" season of this show, no doubt an impact of the pandemic, that I hated missing anything with new stuff in it. 

Edited by Jeeves
  • Love 1

I have the DVR set to tape new and it always tapes the one before the new one as well. I just FF through most of it. 

The women that brought in the puppies cuz one had died. Would have liked to know what was really wrong and if they did other tests. Seemed like it was more than a URI if puppies that old were having trouble breathing, and if they caught it from mom dog.

Dog with the engorged ear. Poor thing, those must hurt and itch at the same time.  Wonder if it smells.

• Love 2

I’ve never commented on this show before. My son is a veterinarian who practices modern Vet medical care. He caught his son watching this show and told him to turn it off. He said if he wanted to know what vet med was like in 1950, this was the show to watch. He’s furious that this show is on the air to mislead people about current veterinary practices. Take this as you will. 

• Love 1
42 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I’ve never commented on this show before. My son is a veterinarian who practices modern Vet medical care. He caught his son watching this show and told him to turn it off. He said if he wanted to know what vet med was like in 1950, this was the show to watch. He’s furious that this show is on the air to mislead people about current veterinary practices. Take this as you will. 

You're right.  I sometimes feel like I'm watching All Creatures Great and Small.

• Love 2

I know that Pol has butted heads with the Michigan veterinary licensing board and I'm sure there are some outmoded aspects to their practice. And I don't think he's "incredible" as in being a fabulous vet. But, Pol is providing affordable and accessible vet care in an economically depressed rural area.

I've ranted here about irresponsible backyard breeders seen on this show, who neglect vet care and then rush in with a laboring dog in trouble or tiny sick puppies. But overall I don't hate the clinic clients I see on the show, and I feel compassion for most of them. Sure, there are plenty of people who are comfortably off. But there are also a lot of folks who don't have much money, and who can't just shrug and hand over the platinum VISA card when told that their beloved pet needs a course of treatment that will cost well north of a thousand bucks. We see plenty of rusty old cars in the parking lot as well as the fancy late-model SUVs and pickup trucks.

I'm not putting down vets who practice in up to date clinics and use the latest treatments. OTOH that stuff doesn't come cheap. My beloved little dog died 14 months ago, and his last year of life was draining for me financially. TBH, the cost of vet care is one reason I don't intend to get another dog, or cat, although I've continually had, variously, dog(s) and cat(s) in the house almost continuously all my life. I'm not faulting my vets, just saying it ain't cheap. 

Now that I've defended Pol, I will also note that Dr. Emily's blog contains a post explaining how she came to decide to leave Pol's clinic for another job, in VA. One issue was the heavy workload and how fast they were expected to move cases. 

• Love 5
2 hours ago, Jeeves said:

I know that Pol has butted heads with the Michigan veterinary licensing board and I'm sure there are some outmoded aspects to their practice. And I don't think he's "incredible" as in being a fabulous vet. But, Pol is providing affordable and accessible vet care in an economically depressed rural area.

I've ranted here about irresponsible backyard breeders seen on this show, who neglect vet care and then rush in with a laboring dog in trouble or tiny sick puppies. But overall I don't hate the clinic clients I see on the show, and I feel compassion for most of them. Sure, there are plenty of people who are comfortably off. But there are also a lot of folks who don't have much money, and who can't just shrug and hand over the platinum VISA card when told that their beloved pet needs a course of treatment that will cost well north of a thousand bucks. We see plenty of rusty old cars in the parking lot as well as the fancy late-model SUVs and pickup trucks.

I'm not putting down vets who practice in up to date clinics and use the latest treatments. OTOH that stuff doesn't come cheap. My beloved little dog died 14 months ago, and his last year of life was draining for me financially. TBH, the cost of vet care is one reason I don't intend to get another dog, or cat, although I've continually had, variously, dog(s) and cat(s) in the house almost continuously all my life. I'm not faulting my vets, just saying it ain't cheap. 

Now that I've defended Pol, I will also note that Dr. Emily's blog contains a post explaining how she came to decide to leave Pol's clinic for another job, in VA. One issue was the heavy workload and how fast they were expected to move cases. 

I agree with everything you said, and have said similar in prior comments.  Though not a vet myself, I don't have to be one to understand that cows are still cows, and the techniques that worked for "James Herriot" work for Jan Pol.  That being said, Pol could certainly put more back into his practice for new and better diagnostic equipment.  Look at the practice we see on Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet.  He provides low cost services for folks who aren't well off and even donates his time for free.  He moved into a bigger space with state of the art surgical facilities and diagnostics.  That Pol doesn't even have a portable x-ray or ultrasound is pretty poor.  I get that he relies on his many years of experience to provide the same services but I don't think the reason he hasn't upgraded his practice is for cost savings.  He's just stubborn.

Edited by Rammchick
  • Useful 1
  • Love 4
3 hours ago, Rammchick said:

I agree with everything you said, and have said similar in prior comments.  Though not a vet myself, I don't have to be one to understand that cows are still cows, and the techniques that worked for "James Herriot" work for Jan Pol.  That being said, Pol could certainly put more back into his practice for new and better diagnostic equipment.  Look at the practice we see on Dr. Jeff, Rocky Mountain Vet.  He provides low cost services for folks who aren't well off and even donates his time for free.  He moved into a bigger space with state of the art surgical facilities and diagnostics.  That Pol doesn't even have a portable x-ray or ultrasound is pretty poor.  I get that he relies on his many years of experience to provide the same services but I don't think the reason he hasn't upgraded his practice is for cost savings.  He's just stubborn.

That's a good point. I'm sure he could squeeze out the funds for more modern equipment, without changing the overall nature of the practice or making it too expensive for his clients. If he's got a plan for the practice to continue after he dies/retires, it's not at all apparent. Looks like he's letting things just run down vs. investing in the clinic building or equipment.

I agree that Dr. Jeff strives to keep costs affordable, but OTOH I'm sure he has plenty of clients who aren't financially pinched and who can pay the full ride for their pets' care. He's here in the Denver metro area which (until COVID, anyway) has been gaining population and doing very well economically, and can support multiple modern vet clinics. 

• Love 1
19 minutes ago, Jeeves said:

That's a good point. I'm sure he could squeeze out the funds for more modern equipment, without changing the overall nature of the practice or making it too expensive for his clients. If he's got a plan for the practice to continue after he dies/retires, it's not at all apparent. Looks like he's letting things just run down vs. investing in the clinic building or equipment.

I agree that Dr. Jeff strives to keep costs affordable, but OTOH I'm sure he has plenty of clients who aren't financially pinched and who can pay the full ride for their pets' care. He's here in the Denver metro area which (until COVID, anyway) has been gaining population and doing very well economically, and can support multiple modern vet clinics. 

Let's also not forget that besides their clientele, they're both being paid by their respective networks for their shows.  Considering how much they pimp Pol on NatGeo, he's clearly a valuable property.  And by the looks of his house and his toys, he's doing well.  

• Love 3

I was channel surfing today and happened to watch a rerun of this program by accident. I saw Dr Pol and his son visit a man on his farm. The man proceeded to dig a shallow hole in the ground.  They showed the man's dog playing in the yard. It was a small black dog who appeared quite healthy and active. The three of them took this dog to a shed. They killed the dog. Then the man carried its dead body and dumped it into that hole and buried it.

It was so disturbing. I quickly turned it off but still feel awful..... 

5 hours ago, spinxella said:

I was channel surfing today and happened to watch a rerun of this program by accident. I saw Dr Pol and his son visit a man on his farm. The man proceeded to dig a shallow hole in the ground.  They showed the man's dog playing in the yard. It was a small black dog who appeared quite healthy and active. The three of them took this dog to a shed. They killed the dog. Then the man carried its dead body and dumped it into that hole and buried it.

It was so disturbing. I quickly turned it off but still feel awful..... 

What was the reason they said the dog was euthanized?

If I remember, the dog that was euthanized had bitten the man's granddaughter in the face and he didn't want to take any chances of that happening again. He said the dog was old and arthritic and didn't tolerate children well anymore. It wasn't stated but I think the parents didn't want to take the chance again and wouldn't bring the granddaughter around if the dog was there.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
29 minutes ago, barshi50 said:

If I remember, the dog that was euthanized had bitten the man's granddaughter in the face and he didn't want to take any chances of that happening again. He said the dog was old and arthritic and didn't tolerate children well anymore. It wasn't stated but I think the parents didn't want to take the chance again and wouldn't bring the granddaughter around if the dog was there.

I've been in the awful position of having an older dog with unpredictable aggression which got worse as he aged. He was a rescue and lived with me for nearly 10 years, during which I worked with various vets and animal behaviorists, and nobody could crack the case. He was small and cute and not always aggressive which actually made things worse. Finally he lunged at a child who was in my home and would have bitten him if the kid's reflexes weren't so fast. After a tearful consult with my vet, we euthanized the dog.

If that dog had bitten someone in the face, it was time for it to go. 

• Love 3
1 hour ago, smittykins said:

Just saw the segment with Tom the constipated kitty, who, while Dr. Brenda was preparing his enema, decided, “Welp, I guess I better 💩.” 😛

Oh, that was so funny. I'm glad Tom got some relief, but OTOH I was left wondering if they were really going to show us a cat enema on teevee, lol.

• Love 1

Poor Daisy the cat. 😢

I guess that gorgeous goat didn’t have a good outcome since there was no update. 😢

I was watching the new “All Creatures Great and Small” last week, and, when James said a downed cow had milk fever, I promptly said “Give her calcium but slowly!” I not only have an MD from watching TV but a DVM as well! 😁

• LOL 5
  • Love 1
On 1/22/2021 at 11:16 AM, barshi50 said:

The granddaughter actually lived full time with the grandparents.      The dog had lived her entire life on the farm, and moving somewhere else would have been awful too.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 1

Man, the owner of that aggressive young German Shepherd pissed me off. "Oh, he's just scared of new people but after five or ten minutes he calms down and is nice." Look, the dog needs training to get him to stop that behavior. One of these days he'll hurt someone unless his dumbf*ck owner deals with the dog's behavior. Sometimes a dog's "wiring" is just haywire but IMO generally a fearful aggressive dog's behavior can be corrected but it takes work. Compare that dog with the calm dog who let Pol scrape tartar off his teeth - what a difference!

I think the guy with the Shepherd gets off on his dog being aggressive and hostile, probably has a fantasy the dog is being protective, and he's a badass to have a dog like that.

Maybe I'm projecting - but I had a friend who was surprisingly stupid about the idea that having a hostile aggressive German Shepherd would mean she and her house would be protected from burglars etc. She ended up having a series (one at a time) of - and I'm not kidding - intact male GS dogs who had literally flunked out of a local police department's K-9 training program. [Edited later to take out too many details.] She got burgled anyway more than once, those dogs were high maintenance, the intact males often got out of the yard causing problems. She was a workaholic who was gone hours and hours every day leaving the dog home alone. Once she had her homeowners insurance cancelled because her then current dog bit a guest in her home in the face. And, she was surprised that an insurance company didn't want to write a liability policy for someone whose plan for home security was a big aggressive UNTRAINED dog who would bite people. Oy. I was always careful around her dogs; some were calmer than others though they all ranged from skittish to "will growl and lunge at all strangers" and I thought none of them got enough attention or exercise beyond what they got running around in the backyard. Yes, she had real affection for the dogs and they slept in the house, but IMO her lifestyle was better suited to someone having a quiet indoor cat than a high-energy dog like a GS. /rant

I'm glad we're seeing new footage and I like the new doctors too. The beagle was sweet, and, puppies. Squee!

Edited by Jeeves
removed too many irrelevant details
  • Love 3

I think the guy with the Shepherd gets off on his dog being aggressive and hostile, probably has a fantasy the dog is being protective, and he's a badass to have a dog like that. 

He mentioned the other dog he had at home was a pit bull. 😐  GS are high maintenance dogs with a lot of energy. 

• Love 3
5 minutes ago, LittleIggy said:

The Tater and Timothy tripod-cat conference was cute!

Oh, it was! I got so wrapped up in my rant about that German Shepherd that I forgot about that. Timothy seemed ready to make himself right at home with Tater. 🙂

• Love 1