Type keyword(s) to search

Vampire Diaries In The Media

I think that it is a given that the ratings will not improve. Not unlike many serialized dramas the show has seen a slow and rock-solid decline over the years. For TVD the problem has been compounded by disappointed shippers leaving and spreading negative press. However this doesn't matter as much as you would think. The show is mostly living off its international success.

http://www.inquisitr.com/1882734/the-vampire-diaries-could-be-in-for-some-trouble/

I can't see them going back on renewing for a 7th season, but maybe it will be a short season if rating don’t pick up?

It does seem they have been wrapping up the stories of some of the secondary characters.

The way the article was written it almost sounds like the author has no clue the show was renewed for Season 7 already. I wouldn't be shocked to hear at Upfronts that this is the Final Season, with a planned ending. I think it we will get a full 22 episode order, final season or not.

The way the article was written it almost sounds like the author has no clue the show was renewed for Season 7 already. I wouldn't be shocked to hear at Upfronts that this is the Final Season, with a planned ending. I think it we will get a full 22 episode order, final season or not.

Vampire Diaries may no longer be the ratings powerhouse for the CW that it once was but it's still a solid performer. Unless they have a sure fire hit waiting in the wings for next season (which is unlikely), I'm pretty sure we'll get a full seventh season.

Yes, I expect a full 22 episode order for TVD.  It might get a final season announcement depending on contracts and The CW's future or lack there of.  Plus I read somewhere that the Netflix deal requires all shows to get an actual ending, can't end on a cliffy or normal ending, they want the show to have resolution/closure.

• Love 1

Can you clarify what you mean by "the Netflix deal?" They don't dictate content, or make decisions on what streams based on content factors at all, AFAIK.

I think that just means that Netflix won't buy it if there's no ending. Which may influence a network's renewal decision, in which they'll green light a show enough to resolve it so that they can sell it to stream. I think this more affects bubble shows with fewer seasons (Hart of Dixie is probably a great example of this). Vampire Diaries has enough longevity that it'll get a chance at a resolution either way.

(edited)

Yeah...I don't think that's how Netflix works. They have plenty of shows in their collection that had no resolution, for all sorts of reasons. But if anyone has a link to info that indicates they do make decisions this way (particularly for ongoing shows), I'd be interested in it, because I am kinda fascinated by this stuff.

Anyway, on topic: I think Season 7 is definitely happening, regardless, but I haven't heard anything that indicates who will or won't be back for it. Sometimes they wait until post-finale to announce things like that (like Matt Davis, last season), and particularly if one of the main 3 is out, I wouldn't expect to hear anything until then. I really do wish this were the last season though. I feel like they're heading toward nice conclusions this year, and next year might just feel like a zombie season.

Edited by Carrie Ann

TVD is already on Netflix and have so many shows that were canceled wiithout an ending on it. Ie NBC's Revolution. Whether the show goes on past next season or not is in the cast members contracts I think. Who wants to keep going and who does not. If everyone decides next season will be the end, the network can go with that and wrap it up.

Which is what I think will happen, maybe ask them all to do one year and be done.  I also wouldn't be shocked if there's hold outs on who returns for season 7.

(edited)

Can you clarify what you mean by "the Netflix deal?" They don't dictate content, or make decisions on what streams based on content factors at all, AFAIK.

From what I've read at TVBTN there's either a written deal or gentlemen's agreement between Netflix and The CW that a show should have a defined ending. Basically, no cliffhangers or lack of resolution, which could explain Nikita and HOD (short final seasons).  It wouldn't be that difficult to put into a contract, just set a higher payout for series that have planned endings and a lower payout for series with abrupt/cliffhanger endings.

AFAIK, the CW's deal with Netflix covers all shows that were on the air at the time of the deal plus back catalogs. It also covers any new shows up to the 2014-2015 season. However, a new show for 2015-2016 will require renegotiation. This might explain why the CW just renewed almost it's entire lineup.

Edited by Morrigan2575
  • Love 1

Yeah...I don't think that's how Netflix works. They have plenty of shows in their collection that had no resolution, for all sorts of reasons. But if anyone has a link to info that indicates they do make decisions this way (particularly for ongoing shows), I'd be interested in it, because I am kinda fascinated by this stuff.

I agree I find this type of thing interesting as well.

Even as the poster above mentioned, I don’t see this as a solidly performing show, but due to international revenue the renewal makes sense to the network. Things that wouldn’t occur to me at all.

Anywho- On a creative front ( I know, I know) I wish this was the last season.  They really have so many characters set up for a good ending.

Alaric- Married and baby.

Jeremy- Vampire hunting.

Matt and Tyler- Police….. or maybe cop and mayor in the future (the new Liz and Carol, if you will)…. either way set to be the next generation of the council. 

Bonnie- Finally realizing she needs to put herself 1st and starts on her own journey.

Caroline and Stefan- Without Liz in the picture she decides to go see the world. Stefan finally realizes this town is built on a hellmouth, along with it not being healthy to have super hearing AND live in the same house where your ex and brother are humping.  So he decides to travel with Caroline. Couple or just friends- whatever your preference is.

Damon and Elena-………….Who really cares anymore?

For as much as I can, at some points, still enjoy the show I feel like another year will be at best repetitive and at worst pure shit.

• Love 1

For as much as I can, at some points, still enjoy the show I feel like another year will be at best repetitive and at worst pure shit.

I don't know, we all thought Season 6 after season 5 was going to be shit but the writers surprised us.  They may do the same for the seventh season.

• Love 2

I don't know exactly how the CW's deal with Netflix works, but I have also heard that they want shows to have a proper ending. Maybe it's not that they won't take shows without a proper ending, but that they'll pay the CW more for shows with a proper ending. And that could make it worth it for the CW to give longer running shows a short final season even if they have bad ratings.

Not really, despite all the positive acclaim Jane the Virgin still goes down after The Originals lead in. The Originals also gets better word of mouth/writing wise praise than TVD.

I have to say I have always appreciated Ian's take on the triangle, he's always played it as knowing Damon was #2 to Elena and that SHE was #2 to Katherine, and that as such the relationship should not amount to more than an extended diversion/mistake. Unfortunately I think some of that always came through in the lack of chemistry between Damon/Elena v. Damon/Katherine and every single other female on the show. I think the break up with NIna IRL has only made him even more vocal about how MEH it all is, and he's shipping Bamon pretty obviously.

• Love 1

Back in Season One, I was hoping by the end, Damon/Elena and Stefan/Elena would not be end game, and that is what I still want.  It made more sense to me that teenage Elena would out grow both Stefan and Damon, like other teenagers everywhere, and that Damon/Stefan would finally heal their brotherly relationship and move on from 1864.

If there really is going to be a Season 7, I'm praying the writers do it justice.  TVD started off great in Season One, went downhill for a couple of seasons, but seems to be rebounding in Season 6.

• Love 1

I agree TigerLinx. By the time Klaus came in and didn't die during the sacrifice the show went to shit. What a difference it could have made if Bonnie and Elijah had killed him.

I agree with what IS said in the interview that season 1&2 were best because they focused on the core characters without all these external forces and extraneous characters that frankly are not needed (I'm looking at you Enzo and Alaric). I definitely think this episode helped proved that the smaller the cast and the more focused and concentrated the better.

Edited by slayer2
(edited)

Wow, he gets it so much. He knows and sees everything wrong with behind the scenes, the writing how it was so core focused back in the early seasons with the original team behind the show and how it's the opposite now. The billion guest stars, the billion stories, season 1 and 2 being the best, his and Kat's chemistry, that they refuse to write for them because of Delena. Then he leaves Elena out of his praise for Caroline and Bonnie. LOL 

Best interview ever!

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 2

I understand when actors are reluctant to bite the hand that feeds them and only say positive things. Although I like to pretend that everything is rainbows and unicorns behind the scenes, it's refreshing to hear Ian be so honest and know that it isn't just some of us at home who have these issues with the show. Glad he isn't drinking the Kool-Aid.

• Love 2

I understand when actors are reluctant to bite the hand that feeds them and only say positive things. Although I like to pretend that everything is rainbows and unicorns behind the scenes, it's refreshing to hear Ian be so honest and know that it isn't just some of us at home who have these issues with the show. Glad he isn't drinking the Kool-Aid.

I'd also like to point out how awesome it is that the seasons he thinks were the best include the best.character.of.all.time Katherine Pierce. Gawd I miss her.

Edited by slayer2

I love how very, very open he is about not giving a shit about Delena. Seriously, he might be as over Delena as Paul Wesley is over Stelena. Not that I blame him. I still think Damon would have been a far more interesting character if that mess of a pairing had not been at the forefront of shipper teasing since the second half of S1.

• Love 1

Im really surprised he went there, you don't publicly criticize a show your on. Hollywood is very small and stuff like that can bite you in the ass.

I wonder if this means he hasn't signed on for S7?

That's not to say that I don't agree with him. I would love to see Stefan, Elena and Damon all move on to new people and healthier relationships but the show seems deadset on Delena OTP

Edited by Morrigan2575

Wow Ian give it to them with both barrels! I usually find his interviews a bit dull, he has a tendency to waffle on and toe the line with the TPTB. No punches pulled there.

I'm guessing he hasn't signed for S7.

Im really surprised he went there, you don't publicly criticize a show your on. Hollywood is very small and stuff like that can bite you in the ass.

I wonder if this means he hasn't signed on for S7?

That's not to say that I don't agree with him. I would love to see Stefan, Elena and Damon all move on to new people and healthier relationships but the show seems deadset on Delena OTP

I think he's fine in this case, this is the third show (I believe) that he's been on and the second on the CW. I feel like he might be a little done with that network and everything they offer him.

TPTB kind of screwed him over on Smallville and now they're kind of screwing him over on TVD with this never-ending Delena bullshit. I tend to think he's a pretty talented actor and he excels at working off other actors yet he's only had the opportunity to work with the same 2 (sometimes 3) characters for the majority of the shows run. I'm sure he would have liked to tangle with Kat Graham, Candice Accola, Zach Roerig and Michael Trevino a lot more than he has but him and Paul Wesley have been for the most part (IMO) isolated from the rest of the cast as all over their storylines have basically revolved around various characters that Nina plays. You figure that when you play the lead in the show you'd get to mingle a bit but not those two. I'd be done with the CW and Julie Plec as well. Plus I feel like I'd be feeling a little betrayed by KW for leaving me in such poor hands. Kind of like how Sarah Michelle Gellar felt abandoned in season 6 when Joss dumped her to go do Firefly and left the show in the hands of Marti Noxon, we all know how THAT went.

Edited to add: Plus I think it's great that he's speaking up since the reasons I believe Plec won't allow him to work much with KG are very specific to me.

Edited by slayer2
  • Love 3

I think Plec may have dropped the ball there. Is she saying that Damon was 21 when Momma Salvatore died? In 6x15, young Stefan is only 10, meaning that Damon was 28 when he turned. In Season 5, Damon gives a speech to Elena about number of years he's been around. Calculating back that would make him 24/5 when he turned.

In my mind, I think of him as being 22/23 ish. I think the writers don't know their back story tbh.

Sorry if this is the wrong thread for this

In canon I believe he was around 25 when he turned (that fits with his more "adult" demeanour, hanging out with Liz and Alaric instead of the kids, etc.). They probably just mixed up the dates, but it does show they think of Damon as being mid to late twenties-ish. Doesn't help that they probably just came up with the idea of the Salvatore mom not having died, and when she died and how old the brothers were at the time. This is why you flesh out backstories beforehand, showrunners.

I think Ian Somerhalder has always played the character as mid to late twenties, which fits with the backstory.

That said I know some fans are still adamant that Damon was in his teens when he was turned...either as an explanation for his temper tantrums or because they don't want the age gap between him and Elena to be too much (which is moot anyways, since he's actually more than a century older).

• Love 2

It should also be noted that the entire 17 promo was basically Steroline, those photos were used to promote the episode, various stans threatened to boycot it because they were making out, and... yeah, the ratings rose by 20%. Sure, nobody ships Steroline...

It should also be noted that the entire 17 promo was basically Steroline, those photos were used to promote the episode, various stans threatened to boycot it because they were making out, and... yeah, the ratings rose by 20%. Sure, nobody ships Steroline...

Also Bamon because the webclip featured Bamon as did the TVD facebook posts. So basically anything none Delena and we're good!