Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Farm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I liked the AF. I wish they'd let Molly act more natural. She clearly knows something about food and referencing different cultures and regions.

Quite frankly I was taken aback by the construction of the scone sandwiches. And the homemade sprinkles.

• Love 3
On 5/9/2021 at 2:34 PM, patty1h said:

In my part of town, AF means "as f*ck" but I guess in other areas, there are folks who take it as the less vulgar "as frick".   After I heard Molly say this, I was thinking of the older viewers who aren't familiar with this slang and ask their young family member to translate the term, and being told that Molly thinks her sandwiches are dainty as f*ck.    

I doubt anyone translates AF as anything but "as fuck", and older viewers are not dainty china.  They might have heard that word, or even used it a time or two!  I thought it was cute, but as ever and always, YMMV.

• Love 4

"af" is on the same level as "frick" and "fudge."  The "f" is a stand in for fuck just as "frick" and "fudge" in certain contexts are clearly stand-ins for fuck.  But since it's new, it might not have reached an acceptable neutral feeling yet that the other two have.  I liked it. And if FN didn't, they probably wouldn't want to spend the money to tape over it.  

On 5/9/2021 at 5:40 PM, chick binewski said:

Quite frankly I was taken aback by the construction of the scone sandwiches. And the homemade sprinkles.

What about the construction of the sandwiches? They're like a panini I get (or got pre-COVID at the grocery store.  It's yummy.

I actually appreciated that she went homemade with the sprinkles.  If she's going to use sprinkles, she may has well show how to do it on your own even if no one likely ever would. 

• Love 1

Watched the Mother's day show this morning and wasn't impressed. Started off on the wrong foot with me when her child came in at #4 in her list of 5 things she loves about MD. None of the food she prepared seemed worth the bother. Always annoyed at her wide eyed giant bite of her creations...so over the top. All kind of juvenile. (And the tea for 3 didn't include the 3rd person...the baby!) Sprinkles are an automatic "no" to me...I'll turn down any otherwise tempting baked good if it comes with sprinkles...weird texture, waxy, oversweet. Make my own? Ha. I've taken her show off of my DVR...gave her a fair chance. Done. (Oh, the AF was absolutley unnecessary and kind of trying too hard. And Nick needs a haircut.)

• Love 2

Every once in awhile, I like to reread Molly's Home on the Range, primarily for the recipes, but also to remind me of her days studying percussion at Julliard. And to enjoy the flat out profanity, used sparingly but appropriately, imo.

Also her Wild Rice Hotdish with Ras el  Hanout and Dates recipe, with its reminder that the world is small and we should all just get along. I'd like to watch her make that one. Even with the saltines topping.😀

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Door County Cherry said:

What about the construction of the sandwiches? They're like a panini I get (or got pre-COVID at the grocery store.  It's yummy.

I flove savory scones and biscuits and I am super picky how they're filled (I blame my mom for taking me to too many lunches at Lord & Taylor's cafe). I wanted to see that ham either one thick slice or shaved thin and I wanted the cheese incorporated into the scone recipe.

I am way too particular about sandwiches.

• LOL 3

Seriously, Molly?  Ree Drummond is royalty?  Girl, you have lost your mind.  

I love blueberries that the cake looked really "hard".  She was patting it in place and there was no give at all.  

• Love 1

Looks like Molly is ca$hing in. Organic Valley is featuring her in a back-to-school promo with, what else? An easy hot dish with milk and cheese—and beef and frozen veg. I haven’t seen any of the spots yet, nor do I want the meal kit prize😂but good for B’s college fund.

• Love 1

The new season has started and Molly is still overly chipper but not as over the top giddy as she was in previous seasons.  

The theme was "Mommy and Me Lunch", and the main dish didn't thrill me - she made a "hot dish" thing that was basically a ham and veg quiche topped with tater tots.  Next was mini Princess cakes to share with her kid - they were cute but were a little labor intensive to make (homemade fondant was involved).  A couple of minutes of cooking time was cut so they could show the mini kitchen that her husband was building for their daughter.  Hohum.  Last was tomato soup and bunny-shaped bread things for dipping.

Imma leave this programmed into my DVR, just for the entertainment of seeing what food anomaly Molly will concoct next.

3 minutes ago, patty1h said:

Imma leave this programmed into my DVR, just for the entertainment of seeing what food anomaly Molly will concoct next.

According to my TV app:  "Molly Yeh and husband Nick celebrate wheat harvest with a tractor tailgate party on the farm; Molly makes colorful sheet pan ratatouille pizza, succulent grilled ribeye steak on feta farro with garden veggies, and tangy rhubarb bars for dessert."

Actually sounds kind of tasty.

36 minutes ago, cynicat said:

I was trying to figure out if she's pregnant again.  I don't think I've ever seen her with her shirt untucked and no apron before.  

I wondered about that too. The thought crossed my mind near the end. Just "Binged" her and yes she is pg with second child. Bernie was born in March 2019 so that is a good age spread. Don't know when 2nd baby is due...don't care that much that I would read a bunch of articles.

In the new opening for the series, over the shot of all three of them she says "...and this is our growing family", so that was a hint that a second little tyke was on the way.

10 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

In the new opening for the series, over the shot of all three of them she says "...and this is our growing family", so that was a hint that a second little tyke was on the way.

Thanks for the intel everyone.!  I like this show, but evidently not enough to google it 😉

• Love 1
On 4/14/2021 at 6:55 AM, Cetacean said:

I have seen that (or a variation on) that recipe in church ladies cookbooks. I am not sure you'd call it a "Midwest" thing but more regional kind of like pasties are unique to the UP of Michigan.

Pasties are also common in the southwest area of Wisconsin or at least in Mineral Point, where my dad was raised.  Evidently early Cornish settlers were miners and took pasties with them for lunch.  

As for popcorn salad, I grew up in WI, now live in MN and have never heard of it! 😁

• Love 2

I watched todays show - Molly made a bunch of Halloween themed recipes for her brunch club.  She made matcha flavored green macaroons decorated with candy eyeballs, mini shakshouka (the tomato sauce was "blood").  She also made an apple pancake and hash brown sticks w/a dipping sauce -- those were not Halloween themed.

The cynic in me doesn't believe the brunch club setup, rather that producers need themes to build episodes around, mostly because they never showed the guests or actual brunch gathering.   At the end, they show the food on plates on a table and a four pairs of disembodied hands wiggling their fingers over the plates.  Probably just crew members.

I almost forgot... Molly was dressed up as a box of movie popcorn as her Hween costume, with big crepe paper balls glued on to mimic the popped kernels.   It was hella cute if you were going to a party, but she wore the bulky costume in her kitchen while cooking.  Also, the perkiness was a bit ramped up today, but maybe because of the Hween theme.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 3
59 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

I watched her My Magnolia Adventure special where she and her husband went down to Waco to get design inspiration for their major house renovation.  

I have to admit that I enjoyed it.  I think they're cute as a couple.  

I guess you need Discovery + to view that show?  I don't have Discovery+.  

3 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I guess you need Discovery + to view that show?  I don't have Discovery+.  

I didn't watch it, but it was listed on Food Network today in her usual 11:00am slot.

6 minutes ago, tracyscott76 said:

I didn't watch it, but it was listed on Food Network today in her usual 11:00am slot.

Oh, I see....I DVR her show every Sunday; however, because the name was different the show wasn't recorded!!  I looked at my "recording" selection and it wasn't there.  I also voice requested on my remote whether the show was going to be repeated and got nothing so I guess it was a "one-shot deal."

I'm interested in their massive remodel.  Was there anything you recall and can share??

9 minutes ago, Door County Cherry said:

We didn't see the finished product.  We saw a very empty build and a peg board she got from the woodworker on Joanna and Chip's show.

LOLOLOL😂   

I guess, under that circumstance, we can expect more "follow-up" shows in the future! 

I'll be on the lookout and will say that the combo between the Gaines' family and Molly's family seems like a match made in Magnolia Heaven.  A lot of common family themes and talent between them to mine for future collaborations. 

I like Molly and Nick. Meh on Joanna. So I wasn’t super excited about this mashup. Also, full disclosure, I’m a big no on Waco and Texas in general (spent time in Dallas on dozens of biz trips, don’t @ me), so Molly’s desire to hurry back seemed fueled by more TV shows to me.

I wanted to hug Nick for thinking he’d be Paul Child and build the peg board for Molly. LOL, I’ve seen that peg board (Smithsonian), Molly went to Clint to get what she got. It looked pretty gorgeous and a very high-end version of Julia’s. (Erin and Ben made one for Miss Pearl, but no mention of the Child’s).

One and done of these for me.

• Love 2
On 10/24/2021 at 9:53 PM, pdlinda said:

Oh, I see....I DVR her show every Sunday; however, because the name was different the show wasn't recorded!!  I looked at my "recording" selection and it wasn't there.  I also voice requested on my remote whether the show was going to be repeated and got nothing so I guess it was a "one-shot deal."

I'm interested in their massive remodel.  Was there anything you recall and can share??

If I recall, they are turning the house into a Colonial, building a second story with columns and expanding on the sides as well. I was a little surprised by the Colonial style house on a farm in North Dakota.

2 hours ago, MaggieG said:

I watched the special as well, I was expecting Molly and Jo to cook something together but they didn't.

I was expecting that too.  Might have been fun.  Nick showed a lot more personality.  Nice to see.  Molly's house "renovation" looks to me like they are just building an enormous new house.  I will miss the retro charm of the old kitchen.

1 hour ago, Aunt Catfish said:

I was expecting that too.  Might have been fun.  Nick showed a lot more personality.  Nice to see.  Molly's house "renovation" looks to me like they are just building an enormous new house.  I will miss the retro charm of the old kitchen.

I notice FN (and now Magnolia) are amping up the exposure and status of Mollie with, I'm sure, commensurate $$$$$.  With her expanding family and additional professional gigs, it seems probable that the family needed more expansive living quarters that they could afford to enjoy.

In the end, I think Mollie has an authentic sense of her "brand" that definitely includes her homey lifestyle so I'm looking to see that emphasis in their new home.

I don't make any of her dishes for myself; however, I do make a # of her recipes for my 7 grandchildren. 

I also love the dynamics in her family and appreciate the sweetness and genuine affection between her and Nick! 

The extended family, on both sides, is also a pleasure to witness.  In these days of such disruption of "normal" life, it's nice to see a grounded, hard-working, wholesome family who loves good food!!

• Love 2

I have made several of her recipes as well.  It tickles me to see her old electric stove at time when all of the blather is "real chefs ONLY cook on GAS".  Her kitchen reminds me of my grandmothers. I hope she doesn't go too modern.

• Love 1

Up until a few years ago, my stove looked just like hers and it worked a treat, too. LOL! I upgraded (induction, no gas here) and expect her to do the same.

I own Home on the Range, having read Molly's blog from the way back. There are a lot of recipes she went on to use on the show. There's a chapter on pizza night--yeah, (no pun), that's always been Molly. But the charm was in her drawings, not stop-action trucks eating the food, which I could live without.

I missed the ep if she made this, but there's a recipe for a homemade Lunchable, but without all the preservatives. Baloney, Ritz-like crackers, the whole deal. And other recipes for things she loved in NYC but Grand Forks didn't have them (or had heard of them, likely;-)

• Love 1

Speaking of stoves, when we were in the military, every time we moved our stoves would be electric, gas, electric, gas. I had to relearn how to cook each time, ha. I much prefer cooking on gas for the same reasons professional chefs in restaurants do. Every time we’ve built a house (4 times) we’ve installed gas stoves.

10 hours ago, Cetacean said:

She is due any day now, some time in February.

I saw the episode last evening about her "sprinkle" and she looked ready to have that baby!  

The recipes all looked so good but the one I think I'll try with my grandchildren was the drink with the frozen grapes and the glass rimmed with honey and colorful sugar!

On another note, I read several months ago that Molly, Nick and Bernie paid a visit to Joanna and Chip Gaines in Texas to discuss the remodeling of their home.  I keep waiting to see any signs of this project but perhaps in the year ahead we'll set the remodeled kitchen and other features.  I believe I read that they were adding a second story and something about the ranch style they have now morphing into a "colonial-type design?"

I also noted that Molly is apparently headlining the new kids baking championship show that starts next Monday.  I guess all those shows were filmed prior to their new baby's arrival.

• Love 1
26 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

On another note, I read several months ago that Molly, Nick and Bernie paid a visit to Joanna and Chip Gaines in Texas to discuss the remodeling of their home.

I hope they don't make her kitchen into some enormous space a la Pioneer woman.  I love the fact that Molly cooks on a stove just like mine, with the old fashioned electric "coil" burners.  It makes her so much more relatable to me.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
52 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

I also noted that Molly is apparently headlining the new kids baking championship show that starts next Monday.  I guess all those shows were filmed prior to their new baby's arrival.

She's hosting the Spring Baking Championship, with adult contestants. The latest Kids edition is ending tonight.

2 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

She's hosting the Spring Baking Championship, with adult contestants. The latest Kids edition is ending tonight.

Thanks so much for the clarification.  I appreciate it.

I think this is the first show series that Molly has been asked to host.  I take that to mean that she has attracted a large enough audience to warrant hosting a prime time FNC show. 

I'm a loyal fan so there must be many more like me!

• Like 1

I love the fact that Molly cooks on a stove just like mine, with the old fashioned electric "coil" burners.  It makes her so much more relatable to me.

I know! I cooked on a 1996 version of that stove until a few years ago. I do like my induction burners now, though, and I expect her coils will be gone as well.  But maybe not!

I think this is the first show series that Molly has been asked to host

Molly hosted Clash of the Cones last year. From Food Network: Over four episodes, host Molly Yeh challenges the ice cream makers to capture the essence of a celebrity or pop culture icon in a new and innovative ice cream flavor, inspired by the direction given from the celebrity themselves.

7 hours ago, pdlinda said:

I saw the episode last evening about her "sprinkle" and she looked ready to have that baby!  

The recipes all looked so good but the one I think I'll try with my grandchildren was the drink with the frozen grapes and the glass rimmed with honey and colorful sugar!

On another note, I read several months ago that Molly, Nick and Bernie paid a visit to Joanna and Chip Gaines in Texas to discuss the remodeling of their home.  I keep waiting to see any signs of this project but perhaps in the year ahead we'll set the remodeled kitchen and other features.  I believe I read that they were adding a second story and something about the ranch style they have now morphing into a "colonial-type design?"

I think she is co-hosting with Sunny Anderson who has been conspicuously absent lately from The Kitchen. 

Looking forward to the remodel and seeing the new baby! 

7 hours ago, Gramto6 said:

I think she is co-hosting with Sunny Anderson who has been conspicuously absent lately from The Kitchen. 

They are hosting two different shows. Molly is hosting the regular Spring Baking Championship, and Sunny is hosting a separate, Easter-specific Spring Baking Championship.

2 hours ago, tracyscott76 said:

They are hosting two different shows. Molly is hosting the regular Spring Baking Championship, and Sunny is hosting a separate, Easter-specific Spring Baking Championship.

Thanks for the clarification, I can't keep all these baking competitions separate.

• Love 1