Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Farm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

Her recipes today had zero sprinkles, so that's a plus.  However, I couldn't wrap my head around that butternut squash-bacon-onion-apple-biscuit mixup.  I was semi feeling it until those biscuits went on.   Bread and squash.... two food groups that don't seem to relate, in my book.

Nick's family (her family now) seemed mighty pleased with the menu. More than I was, I think.🙂 Otoh, I saw  a "recipe" the other day for tater tots dusted with sumac and I'll be all in on that one soon.

4 hours ago, patty1h said:

However, I couldn't wrap my head around that butternut squash-bacon-onion-apple-biscuit mixup.  I was semi feeling it until those biscuits went on.

I have made a similar recipe but without the biscuits on top and it was wonderful.  I served it with crusty bread.

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

Who thought it would be a good idea for her clip shows to be like 90% desserts.

I'm beginning to feel like I need insulin after watching half an hour. I know they can't do new shows but good grief! They look like

• Love 1
(edited)

After watching today, I've determined that this show is skewed to a niche demographic.  Molly's chirpy demeanor and love of sprinkles seems targeted to a younger audience -- early 20's females who are looking for fun recipes to serve to their friends/boyfriends.   She seems marketed/coached to be relatable to those girls as the friend who can cook some standard dishes for palates used to dorm food and to be cute and upbeat to viewers.   She made various pizzas and calzones today - standard millennial food.  Molly is sold as the young blogger whose cooking skills got her a husband, baby and her own show!   She's something the young audience can dream of becoming and Molly going to play to their mindset has become stale.

I'm way out of Molly's demo and I'm watching more out of habit than looking for recipes that seem new or exciting.  People "of a certain age" have probably made the stuff that Molly pushes and moved on to more refined food.  Dishes like tater tots, pizza, sloppy joes and janky dessert salads don't float my boat.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 4
On 6/7/2020 at 12:25 PM, patty1h said:

Molly is sold as the young blogger whose cooking skills got her a husband, baby and her own show! 

I can tell from your posts that you're not a fan and obviously that's fine, people like what they like. But she isn't sold as how you describe her at all. Molly met her husband at Julliard, not because she was blogging. She was married and had a successful blog and cookbook years before she had a show or a baby. I'm 44 and not in the demographic you say this show is for, I just enjoy watching, I don't care if she likes sprinkles or smiles too much. She's also made plenty of things that are not "tater tots, pizza, sloppy joes and janky dessert salads."

• Love 10

I also don't think pizza and calzones are "millennial" foods.  People of all ages enjoy those things.  Ditto with tater tots.  Those would potentially fall more into the midwest way of life more than a certain age group.  

I live in the midwest.  Fancy restaurants will serve their version of tater tots. 

• Love 4
2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

That candy bar “salad” needed a health disclaimer! 

Guess I am glad I slept late and missed this episode! My blood sugar went up just reading that.

• Love 1
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

My understanding is that Molly's "new" shows are clip shows from previous episodes.

That makes sense, I think The Kitchen is doing the same thing.

52 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

My understanding is that Molly's "new" shows are clip shows from previous episodes.

That's correct.  They cobble together dishes and she tapes intros to them.  Nothing new for a while, I imagine.

I've been catching some Season 1 episodes on repeat and they are soooo much better as they lack the permasmile and over the top twee-ness that this current season is drowning in. Dial it back a bit Molly!

• Love 3

Molly seems to have gotten the big grin from her dad—who I’ve seen for many, many years with the CSO. I’d get excited for the coconut pie, too. And that galette! The meatloaf? Pass. I won’t even eat a Chicago-style dog on its own. Too much stuff.

1 minute ago, chessiegal said:

I thought Molly said previously the candy bar salad was a mid-west thing she first heard about a potluck.

Yes she said that her sister-in-law brought it to one of the first parties that they had when they moved there, saying she was bringing a salad. If I was a host and someone told me they were bringing a salad and they brought diabetes in a bowl I would be annoyed. 

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
1 hour ago, biakbiak said:

Yes she said that her sister-in-law brought it to one of the first parties that they had when they moved there, saying she was bringing a salad. If I was a host and someone told me they were bringing a salad and they brought diabetes in a bowl I would be annoyed. 

For what it's worth, it really is a Midwestern states thing.  Google "candy bar salad Midwest" and you will get lots of hits and recipes.

• Love 1
1 minute ago, Kohola3 said:

For what it's worth, it really is a Midwestern states thing.  Google "candy bar salad Midwest" and you will get lots of hits and recipes.

I understand that it’s a real thing. However, Molly stated that her sister in law just said she was bringing a salad and not a “candy bar salad” or that she was bringing dessert so Molly was expecting a side dish for dinner not dessert.

3 hours ago, biakbiak said:

I understand that it’s a real thing. However, Molly stated that her sister in law just said she was bringing a salad and not a “candy bar salad” or that she was bringing dessert so Molly was expecting a side dish for dinner not dessert.

And really, anyone bringing this "salad" would say they're bringing a dessert, not a salad even if it's called a salad.  Or at the least, they'd probably call it a side unless they specify the kind of salad they're bringing. 

• Love 1

Did anyone notice that Molly posted in Instagram today and there  would be starting a new season of Girl Meets  Farm  tomorrow night on Lifetime ? People kept asking her if she was no longer on Food Network . The post has now disappeared and she is not listed on the Lifetime scheduling! So weird. ! 

On 8/23/2020 at 10:39 AM, buttersister said:

I love breakfast radishes with butter and flakey salt. Create a smoker in my small kitchen to smoke butter? Pass. Wonder if adding smoked paprika to softened butter might be interesting, though.

Me too! Did you ever try the smoked paprika? I’m catching up on the thread and wanted to offer that in lieu of smoking the butter (srsly?) you could swap the salt for smoked salt and probably get the same effect. There are a few brands, including Malden and it’s pretty easy to find in gourmet or specialty stores or online. 

• Useful 1

Molly made some pretty cute cakes--a big one and a little smash cake for Bernie. I've watched babies go after their little cakes. Still not quite getting the point. 

There was a ricotta/beet dip that I'd like to make and a kale Caesar salad with avocado and pretzel-incrusted chicken nuggets. I'd make a version of that (not a kale eater). Molly was perky, Bernie was adorable and Nick looked super happy about the whole deal. 

• Love 3
4 hours ago, buttersister said:

There was a ricotta/beet dip that I'd like to make and a kale Caesar salad with avocado and pretzel-incrusted chicken nuggets. I'd make a version of that (not a kale eater). Molly was perky, Bernie was adorable and Nick looked super happy about the whole deal. 

Yeah, pretty much everything was something I would at least try in this episode with the exception of the kale.  Not my thing, either.  But I love beets so I'd give the dip a go and the chicken nuggets looked very tasty.  I am lazy, wouldn't make a cake from scratch but it did turn out really cute.

• Love 2

I watched her chocolate show today and oh my, does she really put sprinkles on everything?  It was starting to turn into overkill, especially with her chocolate rugelach that would have been fine with the coarse sea salt on it and her Turkish brownies. 

• Love 1

Although I sometimes have trouble watching Molly (she seems swell - I just have issues with excessive smiling) but I'm still dreaming of her 'dinner staycation' meal. Nothing unusual, but the method and combination of her beans & rice, avocado cream and taco-perfect salmon looked like it really worked. First time I've been seriously tempted to tackle homemade tortillas. 

• Love 2

I didn’t hate the muted colors; that’s fine for adults who like the Joanna Gaines neutral palette farmhouse aesthetic where any color used is dulled, otherwise it clashes. But for a baby who’s vision is still developing, colors need to be bright. Hence why everything for babies and young children are in garishly bright colors.

• Love 2

Happy Thanksgiving to fellow USA-ers.   While flipping channels, I happened across the Tastemade channel, and there was Molly making a spice cake.  I'm assuming this was made before she got her FN show and what struck me was that her demeanor was so different... serious and confident and not at all giddy like on FN.   

Makes me wonder if FN made her change to the smiling, giggly persona she is now.  The Tastemade Molly is someone I could take seriously.   

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, patty1h said:

Makes me wonder if FN made her change to the smiling, giggly persona she is now.  Th

Probably. You should see if you could find early Emeril, he is like a completely different person with not a bellowed “bam”!

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
9 hours ago, patty1h said:

Makes me wonder if FN made her change to the smiling, giggly persona she is now.  The Tastemade Molly is someone I could take seriously.   

Oh, I think FN mandates lots of smiley faces from their females.  The all do that stupid grinning stuff that makes them look like idiots.  They would never make a male chef be peppy and smiley all of the time.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Probably. You should see if you could find early Emeril, he is like a completely different person with not a bellows “bam”!

I read an interview with Emeril where he explained how he came up with Bam! He said it was when he was taping one of his cooking shows with just him in the kitchen. He said they were taping 5 or more shows a day. He noticed after lunch the crew was starting to sag, so he yelled Bam! to wake them up.

• Useful 2
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I read an interview with Emeril where he explained how he came up with Bam! He said it was when he was taping one of his cooking shows with just him in the kitchen. He said they were taping 5 or more shows a day. He noticed after lunch the crew was starting to sag, so he yelled Bam! to wake them up.

I wasn’t suggesting someone else came up with it but that his entire demeanor was different, he didn’t yell and sometime forgot to look at the camera. He has also talked about his producers had to work hard to get him to loosen up on camera.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 1
20 minutes ago, Kohola3 said:

Oh, I think FN mandates lots of smiley faces from their females.  The all do that stupid grinning stuff that makes them look like idiots.  They would never make a male chef be peppy and smiley all of the time.

I don't think it's just the women.  When people think of Jason Smith, I think a lot of people think of his "slap me willy and wonk my willy this gingerbread is good" type sayings.  But when we first saw him in the holiday baking championship, those sayings didn't define his personality the way the seemed to later on when he acted as a judge.  I'm not saying he didn't say something silly like that every now and then but I got  the sense that he was pushed to thrown those in while judging.  

• Love 3

On 11/26/2020 at 10:08 AM, patty1h said:

Even in her first season she's less grinning & chirpy. Earlier this year when they did the Greatest Hits Themed clip episodes you feel the difference in demeanor side by side. I still like her I'm just bummed that she has to constantly smile and put her giddiness at 11. 

I made her pumpkin pie recipe filling this Thanksgiving. It's really good for both flavor and technique. I don't like pumpkin pie that much either (which is why I chose to make hers, when someone admits that, I believe them) but every few years I'll try a new recipe to see if I've changed my mind and if it's just that the classic Libby's pie isn't my thing. Anyone else do this?

What I think is good about her recipe is that limiting the spices to cinnamon & nutmeg and using maple syrup helped with flavor. And the method of tempering the eggs and partially cooking the custard helped it not be a soggy mess with eggy parts. There's a lot of good in the recipe. 

• Useful 1
  • Love 2