Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Farm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

37 minutes ago, KLovestoShop said:

Just watched the new show.  Is it just me, or is Molly quite a bit more restrained?  When compared to her earlier shows, she was a lot less juvenile and not as rah-rah.  

When she began the show she was a young married girl. Now she’s the mother of two, has many more responsibilities and I think she has just matured with all these changes. I still find her enjoyable. 

• Like 5

I think they have cut back on the cutesy antics.  I wonder if all of the feedback from her stint on the Spring Baking Challenge also made a difference. 

I enjoyed the show today, I love walleye so it was nice to see that recipe.  The dessert also sounded tasty, I will definitely try that.  I am glad to see new episodes and the fact that they are still using her old kitchen.

• Love 6
10 minutes ago, HyeChaps said:

Definitely more subdued.  

I’m glad to hear this. I’d stopped watching her because of the constant grinning and cutesy way of talking. I’ll give her another look.

• Like 2
  • Love 1
On 9/4/2022 at 9:56 AM, Cetacean said:

I think they have cut back on the cutesy antics.  I wonder if all of the feedback from her stint on the Spring Baking Challenge also made a difference.

Molly may be RELIEVED that her "producer-driven antics" are being discouraged.

What we're seeing on this new season of the show might be more "HER STYLE."

.....and that would include the Spring Baking Championship that might have been a  "mismatch" that won't be repeated.

On the OTHER HAND, she went through moving to a new home, having another baby and is opening a new RESTAURANT (I think momentarily) so maybe she's a bit fatigued and doesn't feel like "performing" with all those "cutsey" gimmicks people are remarking on in this thread.

• Like 1
5 hours ago, Gam2 said:

I’m glad to hear this. I’d stopped watching her because of the constant grinning and cutesy way of talking. I’ll give her another look.

Give it a try.  She's like she was when the show first started.

• LOL 1
  • Love 1

I've watched a few of the new episodes. Enjoyed them. But she was making another cookie salad in one show, with gummy worms and a lot of other junk. Ick.

There is a shot of the expanded house in the opening intro. It's huge, two or three times as big! You can still see some of the original house, but it's now two stories. Like others have said, I'm very glad she kept her charming little kitchen for filming.

In the last episode aired, she was wearing false eyelashes and heavy eyeliner. Didn't need that, IMO. She's so naturally pretty without it.

My tiny midwestern hometown of 1,000 has managed to support a small restaurant for at least two decades. They even stayed open for takeout through the pandemic. Molly's restaurant should do OK. 🙂

• Like 1
  • Love 1
18 minutes ago, Gam2 said:

I don’t think she needs the false eyelashes because she always looked so fresh and real.

I didn't pick that up! 

I'll have to look next week. 

I usually remark to myself that her "team" (hair/wardrobe/makeup) really do a remarkable job making it look like she's not wearing makeup at all, so the false eyelashes would be quite a change!

Also, I noted that she never wears earring and the simplest tiny pieces of jewelry.

• Love 1
59 minutes ago, pdlinda said:

Also, I noted that she never wears earring and the simplest tiny pieces of jewelry.

I think I recall seeing her wearing her wedding band. I understand not wearing jewelry in the kitchen. It’s easier to keep bare hands clean if you are using your hands to bake or knead. 

Edited by Mindthinkr
  • Love 1

Girl Meets Farm met The Today Show today. (Not for the first time, iirc.) Molly made shakshuka-spiced sloppy Joes in pita pockets. Something looked different, might have been the eyelashes. The Joes looked tasty and I grabbed the recipe to make this winter. She was plugging her new book, so perhaps she'll show up elsewhere.

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
On 9/26/2022 at 12:21 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I think I recall seeing her wearing her wedding band. I understand not wearing jewelry in the kitchen. It’s easier to keep bare hands clean if you are using your hands to bake or knead. 

Yes, she wears a very simple wedding band with a tiny gemstone in the middle AND she wears a # of other simple rings.  I've also seen her wearing simple necklaces; however, NEVER saw her wearing earrings.

• Like 1
On 9/26/2022 at 2:01 PM, Gam2 said:

I watched her show over the weekend. Much improved and calmed down. I don’t think she needs the false eyelashes because she always looked so fresh and real. She’s really a doll!

Yes, FN must have tilt her to tone down the cutesy, childish , goofy behavior !

She seems like a sweet person , but her over the top childish obsession with sprinkles and her little girl voice is cringeworthy.

• Love 1
27 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I dunno. She was calm to begin with, then upped the cutesy, and I figured the producer(s) told her to. Maybe she balked at it or maybe tptb saw it wasn't working and told her to go back to her normal self.

Or maybe the totally negative feedback that she got on the baking championship show sealed the deal.  I watch this show routinely but I absolutely could not stand to watch her in that one.

Since the second baby she seems to have calmed.  Sprinkles are apparently her schtick and those are easy enough to ignore. I have made several of her recipes (no, not cookie salad) and all were good.

• Like 3
  • Love 3
On 9/4/2022 at 12:20 PM, Mindthinkr said:

When she began the show she was a young married girl. Now she’s the mother of two, has many more responsibilities and I think she has just matured with all these changes. I still find her enjoyable. 

I don’t think that the change  in her family responsibilities is the reason for the change in behavior. When she started the show she was calm and not silly . As she became popular she became goofy, immature and cringeworthy. When she talked  about her sister visiting and looking forward to fart jokes it was last year :

I think her goofy and immature behavior did not go over well to say the least when hosting the baking championship, and that is why she is more calm .

I still have a hard time watching her and liking her the way I did when GMF started after her seeing her behavior on the other show .  Her annoying grin and open mouth smiles are irritating .

I did watch part of the show last week , but when she brings out her stupid sprinkles I have to turn it off !

Edited by orangekit
  • Like 1
3 hours ago, orangekit said:

I did watch part of the show last week , but when she brings out her stupid sprinkles I have to turn it off !

Was that when she put sprinkles on the hockey puck sandwich cookies? That’s where I tuned out as well. Really, hockey pucks are not something you put girly sprinkles on. 

• Like 1

I saw the show today. She was her old cheesy self. She made something with pasta and called them noods. Cut to the joke she made about sending some to her husband Nick. Obviously she was talking about nudes, but that’s an image I don’t want in my head. Stick to the food and recipes please Molly. 

3 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

She made something with pasta and called them noods

Are you sure that wasn't a rerun?  Today's show had honey cupcakes, a hot dish, and a salad.  I don't recallyu anything with pasta. Those honey cupcakes looked heavenly.  No sprinkles.

• Like 2
  • Useful 1
2 hours ago, Cetacean said:

Are you sure that wasn't a rerun?  Today's show had honey cupcakes, a hot dish, and a salad.  I don't recallyu anything with pasta.

Yeah. There are two episodes typically.  The first is new and the second is a rerun.  She made ziti on the second episode/rerun.

• Thanks 1
3 hours ago, cynicat said:

The citrus/rosemary salmon that she made looked absolutely scrumptious

Since salmon is nectar of the gods to me, that is a definite yes to make, maybe for Christmas.  The buns looked good as well although I do not like candied fruit in any way, shape, or form.  No sprinkles this time!

• Like 1
  • Love 1

I've been watching the show over from the beginning and I like Molly but season 3 is when she gradually starts cranking up the cringe. I just watched the season 3 ep with her baby shower (everything looked delicious-- especially the trifle. Shoot. Yum.) but there's an over abundance of wide, open mouth led grins with the camera angled AT her tongue. Why?! I have no idea. At certain points I had to look away.  I'm looking forward to the eps where the cringe lessens! 

Edited by hiisa
Season 3 is the baby shower
  • Like 2

Yeah, it started out a nice cooking show then turned into some kind of cartoon show . That is when I stopped watching regularly.  Now she she seems to be sort of back to normal again, if it goes back to cartoon again, I'm done.

• Like 1
35 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

Yeah, it started out a nice cooking show then turned into some kind of cartoon show .

She seems to have toned down considerably since she had the kids. I still watch because of the recipes.  

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Cetacean said:

She seems to have toned down considerably since she had the kids. I still watch because of the recipes.  

Yes she has, I really like some of her  recipes. If she could just tone it done some ...

just popping in to see what is new....  she crossed my mind as they are showing a big snowstorm a few states to the west...

how is her restaurant ? does she show the kids during her cooking segments  or show episodes of the meals she makes for them ?  Any more house remodeling ?

27 minutes ago, sATL said:

how is her restaurant ? does she show the kids during her cooking segments  or show episodes of the meals she makes for them ?  Any more house remodeling ?

No mention of the restaurant, does not show the kids, although she talks about Bernie's favorites when cooking, house is done.  The picture at the beginning is of the outside of the new place.

• Like 1

I feel like every once in a while these cooking shows show me something that isn't too complicated, fits a potential need in my diet and might inspire me to actually try to make it.  

Today, that was falafel waffles (although using the onion to make caramelized onions on Mary Makes is another thing I might try.) 

I don't have a waffle maker so I might have to try them with as pancakes but I'm always looking for something for breakfast when I have to go into work.  The waffles would be easy to eat while on the go (without the slaw, of course), contain a lot of protein and would feel like breakfast food.  Plus, they're not fried.  

• Like 2

I'm still plugging along in my binge watch. I'm midway through season 8. I'm not liking these last few seasons as much. I actually liked when they had friends and family pop by for various things (curling! Nick built a bowling alley! Hockey!) and I liked when the EP ended with Molly and Nick eating and chatting. They were pretty cute. There's an ep in season 6 or 7 where Nick sings a song for Molly and he has a really decent voice. Like I already like his speaking voice but his singing voice is dang pleasant. I liked when she'd pop by the farm and they'd eat together. It seems like when they stopped doing that is when Molly went over the top cutesy. She is forever making weird faces. One she does often is letting her jaw drop and folding her lower lip over her teeth. She also closes one eye at a time in some weird slow blink/wink. It's all just....weird. She makes interesting food but ....yeah. She's a lot. 

I wonder why we dont see as much as their friends and family on the fa anymore? Maybe Nick didn't want to continue? Or maybe he wanted to take care of Bernie while so many people (the crew) are around?

Also, has anyone made her tahini chocolate cake? Binge watching she's made that cake or a variation of it more than once. 

She has toned way down this season and I don't think she's used sprinkles in anything lately.  It might be the fact that she has two kids now and is more settled. Plus FN is not doing as many of the cutesy animations so they may be taking note of the criticisms.

Of the few cooking shows that I watch, this one is the one I find recipes I am more likely to use.

• Like 4

I just watched todays "Date Night" episode.   90% of the menu looked pretty interesting... I wouldn't mind trying those pitas, the salad or the curried cauliflower.   She just had to jump the shark with the potato chips that she desecrated by dusting them with white chocolate, sprinkles and pop rocks candy.  She was trying hard to express how FUN this was.  Not to me.

And that area of North Dakota is known for their chocolate covered potato chips.

OK, maybe "known" is a bit much but every chocolate shop in the area offered chocolate covered potato chips with multiple types of chocolate in ways I don't normally see in other chocolate shops.

These are the best, IMO.

http://www.carolwidmanscandy.com/ 

I doubt I'd like the pop rocks but I bet those chips are pretty good.

• Like 1

Check out Bernie's online menu link for prices.  Looks like they can adapt to both vegan and gluten free. 

If I was traveling, I'd love to give it a try.  I love those old buildings in established downtown areas!  Reminds me of our favorite lunch counter (also U-shaped) in my hometown.

• Like 1

Pop rocks? Pass. But as a kid (which was a very long time ago), my favorite snack was potato chips and a brownie. People (ok, my family) thought that was odd, but I knew--don't want to say I started a trend or anything🤣🤣🤣

Couscous salad with pistachios and dates--yum.

• Like 1

Nanaimo bars are my very favorite dessert of all time!  I'm not sure about the recipe and using maple syrup (pretty far off the track from the original) but I am willing to give it a try.  I even sent away for Bird's Custard so that I could replicate the original recipe.  Just divine!

• Like 3
16 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I caught about the last 15 minutes. She seemed fine to me. 🤷‍♂️

The fried rice looked good.

She was definitely toned down from what she was a couple of seasons ago, I didn't even notice her mugging.

I was married to a Chinese man for 16 years and learned to cook Chinese food from his mom. I have never heard of putting cheddar cheese on fried rice. I missed her intro to the recipe, maybe it was her "own special" variation?

19 minutes ago, Gramto6 said:

I have never heard of putting cheddar cheese on fried rice. I missed her intro to the recipe, maybe it was her "own special" variation?

I missed the intro also. To me what she made was more of frittata with rice. Cheese and rice sounds good to me.

• Like 1
28 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

I missed the intro also. To me what she made was more of frittata with rice. Cheese and rice sounds good to me.

Yes, if you call it that then it does sound good, but she called it fried rice. I isn't.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Gramto6 said:

I have never heard of putting cheddar cheese on fried rice. I missed her intro to the recipe, maybe it was her "own special" variation?

It was an (American breakfast) fried rice with bacon,  eggs (which I think are already a part of fried rice) and she said she started putting cheddar cheese on it a while ago.  So she sold it as something she likes to do.

4 hours ago, Mindthinkr said:

When she made those Mangoes on sticks, does anyone remember what she seasoned them with besides chili’s (ancho?), coconut, lime zest and sugar? 

You got them all:  dried ancho chilies (seeds and stems taken out), coconut, lime zest, and sugar.  Pinch of salt at the end.

BTW, that episode (S7, E11) is being rerun next Monday morning, February 13.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
3 hours ago, cynicat said:

You know, at the end of the day, I still like this show 🙂

I do too, especially since she has dialed back the manic behavior.  I have done a few of her recipes.  And I love the idea of those fish waffles!

• Like 2