Jump to content
Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Girl Meets Farm

Recommended Posts

12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

What's wrong with brie?

Soft,  ripened cheeses are "off-limits" to pregnant women,  along with deli meat, raw fish or eggs, alcohol.  How strictly a woman adheres to the guidelines is an individual choice,  but that is the guideline I've always been given (moderate coffee is fine,  despite popular belief!)

Share this post


Link to post
6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Why? The alcohol I get.

A lot of those things (think listeriosis outbreaks with luncheon meats) have the capability of carrying bacteria when eaten raw.  If cooked, they should be fine.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

When my youngest step-daughter came to visit us pregnant with her first baby, she was in her 2nd trimester. We took them to an upscale restaurant for Sunday Brunch. I was somewhat taken aback when she ordered a Mimosa, but I gather at that point half a glass of champagne was not a big deal. The really funny thing was they carded her and she was 27! 

Edited by chessiegal

Share this post


Link to post

There is a risk of listeria.

I remember this from way back when Giada was pregnant with Jade and Giada made a recipe that included brie on GMA (or some similar show) and she couldn't eat it.

Share this post


Link to post

I made Molly's chocolate chip cookie cake this weekend. I am happy to report that it is delicious! You really get a good product without using any butter or oil. The downside is that the hazelnut flour was expensive. As I don't like frosting on cookies, I skipped the buttercream and had vanilla ice cream instead. Thumbs up!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, CharlizeCat said:

The downside is that the hazelnut flour was expensive.

Where did you purchase it? I haven't it found it locally.

Share this post


Link to post

I found Bob's Red Mill at Whole Foods and it was $15.  I will have to find some more recipes that call for it.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
1 hour ago, CharlizeCat said:

I found Bob's Red Mill at Whole Foods and it was $15. 

Yeah that is a bit pricey.  The closest Whole Foods is 2.5 hours from me so I guess I will have to take your word for it.

I wonder if Bob's would have additional recipes online.  King Arthur Flour has these recipes although they don't sell the flour.

Edited by Kohola3 · Reason: found hazelnut flour recipes

Share this post


Link to post

I had to laugh that the Super Bowl party involved them eating before the game.  Isn't the point to spread it out?

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I had to laugh that the Super Bowl party involved them eating before the game.  Isn't the point to spread it out?

Depends on whether or not you watch the game. I hate football  so I used to have a party in the afternoon with snacks and everything but we never watched the game.  It was a nice occasion to get together in the doldrums of the winter between the Christmas festivities and the onset of spring.

Share this post


Link to post

Still watching, but mostly because I get stuck on TFN and keep a lot of show s on for company.  What was that cereal she made?  She made her own mini marshmallows and everything - that is a lot of work unless you don't work or have all weekend to tinker with egg whites and sugar.  Not me. 

She's cute but her perma-smile annoys me.  It bothers me that the female chefs seem trained to do that, put on this grin to make themselves relatable, I guess.  I can't recall any of the male hosts (Flay, Fieri, Brown, etc.)  standing there chopping onions or stirring sauce with a dumb smile on their faces.   /rant over/

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Today’s episode was a rerun. I’d totally try the chicken pot pie hot dish with tater tots, but she lost me at that cookie salad. I’ve heard of it before and know it’s a Midwestern thing, but I’m going to pass, thanks.

I do wish she’d always keep her hair up and out of the way. I hate when TV cooks leave their hair hanging loose.

I do like how the relationship between she and her husband is so genuine and not TV-manufactured like Chip and Joanna or stilted like Ree and Ladd. They’re a young married couple and act like it.

Edited by Automne
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
7 hours ago, Automne said:

I’ve heard of it before and know it’s a Midwestern thing, but I’m going to pass, thanks.

I live in the Midwest but have never heard of it so it must be more regional like burgoo in Indiana.  But I will pass as well.

Share this post


Link to post
9 hours ago, Automne said:

I do wish she’d always keep her hair up and out of the way. I hate when TV cooks leave their hair hanging loose.

When I'm watching the cooking/baking competition shows the hair not being tied/put up somehow thing is usually something I rant about at least once.

I like Molly and agree that when she and her husband interact it doesn't seem as orchestrated like the other couples mentioned.

Share this post


Link to post

According to Molly on her Instagram season 3 will return on March 31st which is the day after "poppy seed" is due (that's what they are calling the baby). She mentioned in a February 17th post that they just wrapped season 3 until the baby comes and then they'll pick back up again.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

I like Molly and how authentic she and her husband and family are on her show .  I like her recipes . And unlike Pioneer woman and Giada  , who comes off so fake to me, and looks very produced , it is refreshing! 

I do wonder how much freezer storage she has ! She is meal prepping so much food it look like she’ll need a warehouse to keep it !

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Reminder: Season 3 premieres this Sunday, March 31st.  Looking forward to another season.  I think Molly is so sweet and likeable.  Wish her good luck with the delivery.

Share this post


Link to post
5 hours ago, Bazinga said:

Reminder: Season 3 premieres this Sunday, March 31st. 

DVR set!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post

Just saw online that Molly had her baby yesterday!  Baby girl Bernadette Rosemary Yeh Hagen.

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post

I've only made a few recipes from her blog but I'm enjoying her show. Not sure if it's because she's interesting to me or just complete fresh air from what the FN has been giving us lately. 

Curious if she has another fridge somewhere or shops every few days because I've had a Smeg. As adorable as they are, they don't hold much. 

Share this post


Link to post
12 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Curious if she has another fridge somewhere or shops every few days because I've had a Smeg. As adorable as they are, they don't hold much

They have another freezer but I'm not sure about the fridge part. She showed a separate freezer on her Instagram or possible her website. It was packed full of baby prep meals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
3 hours ago, mishy said:

They have another freezer but I'm not sure about the fridge part. She showed a separate freezer on her Instagram or possible her website. It was packed full of baby prep meals.

Thank you! I'm still catching up on episodes! I read her book and used to read her blog but haven't in quite a while because life. 

Share this post


Link to post
On February 3, 2019 at 4:01 PM, librarianbeck said:

Soft,  ripened cheeses are "off-limits" to pregnant women,  along with deli meat, raw fish or eggs, alcohol.  How strictly a woman adheres to the guidelines is an individual choice,  but that is the guideline I've always been given (moderate coffee is fine,  despite popular belief!)

Just found this forum. I have seen the show a few times and enjoyed it.

I didn't know that about soft cheeses or deli meat, either.  I'm sure 30 years ago I never ate Brie, but I bet I ate deli meat.  Whew!

Where is Molly's farm located?

Share this post


Link to post
21 minutes ago, Thumper said:

Where is Molly's farm located?

Outside of East Grand Forks in Minnesota.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post

I like her , she smart and genuine , and she is unique with her Jewish/Chinese  take on food . The fact she met her husband at Julliard and became went  back to the farm is really different and a fun spin on a cooking show .

I only hope she doesn’t morf into an overdone version of herself like Paula Deen and Rachael Ray did!  

At times her cutesy sayings and behavior make me think that FN wil encourage her to overdo it and ruin her nice, real personality, and make her annoying!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 2/10/2019 at 2:03 PM, patty1h said:

Still watching, but mostly because I get stuck on TFN and keep a lot of show s on for company.  What was that cereal she made?  She made her own mini marshmallows and everything - that is a lot of work unless you don't work or have all weekend to tinker with egg whites and sugar.  Not me. 

She's cute but her perma-smile annoys me.  It bothers me that the female chefs seem trained to do that, put on this grin to make themselves relatable, I guess.  I can't recall any of the male hosts (Flay, Fieri, Brown, etc.)  standing there chopping onions or stirring sauce with a dumb smile on their faces.   /rant over/

I agree about the annoying smile.  And now that she had the baby she’s posting annoying  expressions and pictures with her tongue out on Instagram.

And everyone knows she’s pregnant ! She doesn’t need to stick out her stomach and lean backwards all the time to show us her belly while cooking!

it sure does seem like the female cooks and chefs seem to all more Into annoying over the top cartoon characters on FN .

Molly now has to smile and act giddy along with making weird noises when she likes her food ! 

Paula and Rachel also started as likable personalities, not over the top .  They both morphed into loud , goofy and obnoxious personalities.

Hopefully Molly will not be pressured to be a “relatable” idiot , when she really is an intelligent and authentic person.  

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
On 4/14/2019 at 4:54 AM, Popcorn22 said:

I like her , she smart and genuine , and she is unique with her Jewish/Chinese  take on food . The fact she met her husband at Julliard and became went  back to the farm is really different and a fun spin on a cooking show .

I only hope she doesn’t morf into an overdone version of herself like Paula Deen and Rachael Ray did!  

At times her cutesy sayings and behavior make me think that FN wil encourage her to overdo it and ruin her nice, real personality, and make her annoying!

What I find a little interesting is that Molly is exactly what Ree Drummond attempted to sell herself as - a city girl turned country girl. Molly is from Chicago (or its suburbs), went to NYC to attend Juilliard, and then moved to a farm in a tiny town in Minnesota . Except it doesn’t ring hollow with Molly and she seems genuinely down-to-earth (probably because she’s not from a wealthy family and didn’t marry into the 23rd largest landowners in the USA). 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×