Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Farm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

12 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

What's wrong with brie?

Soft,  ripened cheeses are "off-limits" to pregnant women,  along with deli meat, raw fish or eggs, alcohol.  How strictly a woman adheres to the guidelines is an individual choice,  but that is the guideline I've always been given (moderate coffee is fine,  despite popular belief!)

6 minutes ago, chessiegal said:

Why? The alcohol I get.

A lot of those things (think listeriosis outbreaks with luncheon meats) have the capability of carrying bacteria when eaten raw.  If cooked, they should be fine.

• Love 1

When my youngest step-daughter came to visit us pregnant with her first baby, she was in her 2nd trimester. We took them to an upscale restaurant for Sunday Brunch. I was somewhat taken aback when she ordered a Mimosa, but I gather at that point half a glass of champagne was not a big deal. The really funny thing was they carded her and she was 27! 

Edited by chessiegal

I made Molly's chocolate chip cookie cake this weekend. I am happy to report that it is delicious! You really get a good product without using any butter or oil. The downside is that the hazelnut flour was expensive. As I don't like frosting on cookies, I skipped the buttercream and had vanilla ice cream instead. Thumbs up!

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CharlizeCat said:

I found Bob's Red Mill at Whole Foods and it was $15. 

Yeah that is a bit pricey.  The closest Whole Foods is 2.5 hours from me so I guess I will have to take your word for it.

I wonder if Bob's would have additional recipes online.  King Arthur Flour has these recipes although they don't sell the flour.

Edited by Kohola3
found hazelnut flour recipes
7 hours ago, Irlandesa said:

I had to laugh that the Super Bowl party involved them eating before the game.  Isn't the point to spread it out?

Depends on whether or not you watch the game. I hate football  so I used to have a party in the afternoon with snacks and everything but we never watched the game.  It was a nice occasion to get together in the doldrums of the winter between the Christmas festivities and the onset of spring.

Still watching, but mostly because I get stuck on TFN and keep a lot of show s on for company.  What was that cereal she made?  She made her own mini marshmallows and everything - that is a lot of work unless you don't work or have all weekend to tinker with egg whites and sugar.  Not me. 

She's cute but her perma-smile annoys me.  It bothers me that the female chefs seem trained to do that, put on this grin to make themselves relatable, I guess.  I can't recall any of the male hosts (Flay, Fieri, Brown, etc.)  standing there chopping onions or stirring sauce with a dumb smile on their faces.   /rant over/

• Love 2

Today’s episode was a rerun. I’d totally try the chicken pot pie hot dish with tater tots, but she lost me at that cookie salad. I’ve heard of it before and know it’s a Midwestern thing, but I’m going to pass, thanks.

I do wish she’d always keep her hair up and out of the way. I hate when TV cooks leave their hair hanging loose.

I do like how the relationship between she and her husband is so genuine and not TV-manufactured like Chip and Joanna or stilted like Ree and Ladd. They’re a young married couple and act like it.

Edited by Automne
  • Love 2
7 hours ago, Automne said:

I’ve heard of it before and know it’s a Midwestern thing, but I’m going to pass, thanks.

I live in the Midwest but have never heard of it so it must be more regional like burgoo in Indiana.  But I will pass as well.

9 hours ago, Automne said:

I do wish she’d always keep her hair up and out of the way. I hate when TV cooks leave their hair hanging loose.

When I'm watching the cooking/baking competition shows the hair not being tied/put up somehow thing is usually something I rant about at least once.

I like Molly and agree that when she and her husband interact it doesn't seem as orchestrated like the other couples mentioned.

• Love 1

According to Molly on her Instagram season 3 will return on March 31st which is the day after "poppy seed" is due (that's what they are calling the baby). She mentioned in a February 17th post that they just wrapped season 3 until the baby comes and then they'll pick back up again.

• Love 3

I like Molly and how authentic she and her husband and family are on her show .  I like her recipes . And unlike Pioneer woman and Giada  , who comes off so fake to me, and looks very produced , it is refreshing! 

I do wonder how much freezer storage she has ! She is meal prepping so much food it look like she’ll need a warehouse to keep it !

• Love 1

I've only made a few recipes from her blog but I'm enjoying her show. Not sure if it's because she's interesting to me or just complete fresh air from what the FN has been giving us lately. 

Curious if she has another fridge somewhere or shops every few days because I've had a Smeg. As adorable as they are, they don't hold much. 

• Love 1
12 hours ago, LemonSoda said:

Curious if she has another fridge somewhere or shops every few days because I've had a Smeg. As adorable as they are, they don't hold much

They have another freezer but I'm not sure about the fridge part. She showed a separate freezer on her Instagram or possible her website. It was packed full of baby prep meals.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, mishy said:

They have another freezer but I'm not sure about the fridge part. She showed a separate freezer on her Instagram or possible her website. It was packed full of baby prep meals.

Thank you! I'm still catching up on episodes! I read her book and used to read her blog but haven't in quite a while because life. 

On February 3, 2019 at 4:01 PM, librarianbeck said:

Soft,  ripened cheeses are "off-limits" to pregnant women,  along with deli meat, raw fish or eggs, alcohol.  How strictly a woman adheres to the guidelines is an individual choice,  but that is the guideline I've always been given (moderate coffee is fine,  despite popular belief!)

Just found this forum. I have seen the show a few times and enjoyed it.

I didn't know that about soft cheeses or deli meat, either.  I'm sure 30 years ago I never ate Brie, but I bet I ate deli meat.  Whew!

Where is Molly's farm located?

I like her , she smart and genuine , and she is unique with her Jewish/Chinese  take on food . The fact she met her husband at Julliard and became went  back to the farm is really different and a fun spin on a cooking show .

I only hope she doesn’t morf into an overdone version of herself like Paula Deen and Rachael Ray did!  

At times her cutesy sayings and behavior make me think that FN wil encourage her to overdo it and ruin her nice, real personality, and make her annoying!

• Love 4
On 2/10/2019 at 2:03 PM, patty1h said:

Still watching, but mostly because I get stuck on TFN and keep a lot of show s on for company.  What was that cereal she made?  She made her own mini marshmallows and everything - that is a lot of work unless you don't work or have all weekend to tinker with egg whites and sugar.  Not me. 

She's cute but her perma-smile annoys me.  It bothers me that the female chefs seem trained to do that, put on this grin to make themselves relatable, I guess.  I can't recall any of the male hosts (Flay, Fieri, Brown, etc.)  standing there chopping onions or stirring sauce with a dumb smile on their faces.   /rant over/

I agree about the annoying smile.  And now that she had the baby she’s posting annoying  expressions and pictures with her tongue out on Instagram.

And everyone knows she’s pregnant ! She doesn’t need to stick out her stomach and lean backwards all the time to show us her belly while cooking!

it sure does seem like the female cooks and chefs seem to all more Into annoying over the top cartoon characters on FN .

Molly now has to smile and act giddy along with making weird noises when she likes her food ! 

Paula and Rachel also started as likable personalities, not over the top .  They both morphed into loud , goofy and obnoxious personalities.

Hopefully Molly will not be pressured to be a “relatable” idiot , when she really is an intelligent and authentic person.  

• Love 3
On 4/14/2019 at 4:54 AM, Popcorn22 said:

I like her , she smart and genuine , and she is unique with her Jewish/Chinese  take on food . The fact she met her husband at Julliard and became went  back to the farm is really different and a fun spin on a cooking show .

I only hope she doesn’t morf into an overdone version of herself like Paula Deen and Rachael Ray did!  

At times her cutesy sayings and behavior make me think that FN wil encourage her to overdo it and ruin her nice, real personality, and make her annoying!

What I find a little interesting is that Molly is exactly what Ree Drummond attempted to sell herself as - a city girl turned country girl. Molly is from Chicago (or its suburbs), went to NYC to attend Juilliard, and then moved to a farm in a tiny town in Minnesota . Except it doesn’t ring hollow with Molly and she seems genuinely down-to-earth (probably because she’s not from a wealthy family and didn’t marry into the 23rd largest landowners in the USA). 

• Love 6

Girl Meets Farms starts in the UK tomorrow I (think it's the first time it's been aired here).  I'll be interested to see it: from the short clips shown, Molly seems - how shall I put this? - normal and without artifice.   

2 minutes ago, Mandolia said:

Girl Meets Farms starts in the UK tomorrow I (think it's the first time it's been aired here).  I'll be interested to see it: from the short clips shown, Molly seems - how shall I put this? - normal and without artifice.   

Yes! It is true! She is normal...

• Love 1
On ‎6‎/‎2‎/‎2019 at 7:07 PM, Westiepeach said:

Yes! It is true! She is normal...

Two episodes in and I'm enjoying the show.  Molly seems not only normal but also a good cook which isn't always the case on these cooking programmes!

• Love 4
4 hours ago, Mandolia said:

Two episodes in and I'm enjoying the show. 

I'm glad that you are enjoying it.  She seems like a genuinely nice girl. 

And after the huge made-for-TV-cook's kitchens, her little one is kind of refreshing.  Shows that normal people with normal kitchens can actually prepare a meal with less than an acre of counter space.

• Love 5
(edited)
1 hour ago, Kohola3 said:

I'm glad that you are enjoying it.  She seems like a genuinely nice girl. 

And after the huge made-for-TV-cook's kitchens, her little one is kind of refreshing.  Shows that normal people with normal kitchens can actually prepare a meal with less than an acre of counter space.

Quite apart from Molly's kitchen being "normal" rather than a purpose-built t.v. set, it's really refreshing to see pots and pans which have obviously seen a bit of life on the stove and in the oven, rather than those which seem to be an array of brand new sheets trays, etc for every dish created.  

Edited by Mandolia
  • Love 4
6 hours ago, Mandolia said:

...it's really refreshing to see pots and pans which have obviously seen a bit of life on the stove and in the oven...

I know what you mean.  I have cookie sheets so well used that (in the immortal words of Erma Bombeck) look like the oil pan from a 57 Chevy.

• LOL 3
  • Love 3

Looks like the new season started and I was pretty meh on the dishes she made on today's show (Movie Night).  The pulled pork nachos were OK and pretty routine, but I shrugged at her snack of halved radishes smeared with spiced butter.  No thanks on that.

That Candy Bar Salad dessert was an abomination of food.  She made her own candy bars with marshmallow fluff, chocolate and peanut butter, which she then chopped up and tossed into a big bowl of vanilla pudding and chopped Granny Smith apples.  All of this was topped with whipped cream and served in individual dessert bowls.  My stomach hurts just thinking about eating that mess.  Molly, honey, take several seats.   And she's still smiling too much.

Oh, yeah, her baby is a cutie.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 1

The Chicago hot dog meatloaf was pretty unappetizing to me. The mustard glaze on the top was enough but she kept glopping stuff on top of it.

The sprinkles on every dessert is too much but she would be crazy if she doesn't brand her own line of sprinkles.

liked her dad.

• Love 1

The pulled pork casserole thingy she made may be tasty to some, but it wasn't nachos. Then again, I'm pretty particular about nachos.

I didn't stick around for the rest of the show, but I caught a glimpse of the end when they were having "movie night." I really dislike FN's insistence that every cooking show feature some fake get-together.

I still like Molly herself, but on the newer episodes I've seen, I don't find her food appealing. 

• Love 3
3 hours ago, patty1h said:

That Candy Bar Salad dessert was an abomination of food.  She made her own candy bars with marshmallow fluff, chocolate and peanut butter, which she then chopped up and tossed into a big bowl of vanilla pudding and chopped Granny Smith apples.  All of this was topped with whipped cream and served in individual dessert bowls.  My stomach hurts just thinking about eating that mess.  

That was my same reaction. I had to keep reminding myself that (allegedly) Minnesota and the MidWest is known for food like this “candy salad.” I use How I Met Your Mother as my source, particularly the episode where Marshall’s mom served the layered salad, which consisted of layers of mayonnaise. 

But, it doesn’t mean that these monstrosities need to be made. I wish Molly made just the chocolate bars. 

• Love 2

Yeah, the chocolate bars themselves looked tasty, she should have stopped there.

That Chicago hotdog meatloaf was an abomination. I can't believe they ate that.

I'm glad to hear they have another freezer because for someone who cooks a lot that freezer strip is tiny.

I caught a few episodes this morning - I'd never heard of her before. I kept thinking she was calling her kid Birdie, which seems to be the new hot celebrity kid name.

I didn't realize that Molly had a new season and was pleasantly surprised.

Wow! She sure snapped back into shape fast. She looked almost gaunt, but happy and healthy.

I also thought the food selection looked like a hot mess and I am tired of her in-laws coming off as rubes who have never heard of anything like smoked butter (OK, that was also a new one to me ... but still). It's not obnoxious and overdone, but I always get a hint of that. Like the new "big city" DIL has come to educate the tastebuds of the salt of the earth. At least it's not as full-on condescending as Giada used to be with her Michigan in-laws. 

The candy bars looked good, but not folded into vanilla pudding, whipped cream and green apples. She made something very similar early in season one. I was more interested to hear if/how she made the vanilla pudding. I've only seen TV hosts make chocolate or butterscotch pudding.

That Chicago dog meatloaf looked terrible as well as many of the dishes Molly  made towards the middle-to-end of her last season. I just chalked it up pregnancy cravings.

I guess we'll see. I am glad Molly is back, though. At least it's one decent instructional cooking show on FN.

• Love 3

Just finished the new ep with the candy bar dessert. Wow. Surprised the millennial crowd (no offense if this includes any of my fellow readers here) would go for this Sandra Lee type fare. Using processed food to make pseudo processed food. I doubt she and that  little stick figure husband will stay so gangly chowing down that type of food. The whole meal was unappetizing and way too much work. I can't imagine going to the trouble of smoking butter, in the kitchen, with a NEWBORN in the house...I can't even sweat onions in my place without smelling it for a few days, even while using the exhaust fan and candles. I'd think that little house would just reek of smoke. (And for very little benefit...greasy radishes...blerg.) She's nice and perky and the baby is cute but I can only watch for snarking pleasure. Also, being of a certain age, and living through the "mid century modern" era, seeing all the retro touches in the kitchen and elsewhere just kind of depresses me...been there, done that, and couldn't go back. Agree that the FN will probably bring out a baking supply and sprinkle line, a la RR and Ree. Good luck with that. There was an article describing a week in her life from a few years ago in the Huff Post...worth a google look. Perhaps it was there that I read about the 2-3, or more, freezers and fridges she has hidden away.

• Love 1

In the Oct issue of Food Network magazine, they have a spread featuring Molly's kitchen and the updating done after they moved in.

The house was formerly owned by Nick's grandparents.

Her fridge is a Smeg,  electric stove is vintage, coutertops  are butcher block and cabinets were swapped for open shelves

• Useful 1

I'm still watching but her food is either crazy crap like that Cookie Salad or who cares stuff like potato chips and burgers.  I put her show on in the slight chance that she will possibly make something that looks halfway edible and/or interesting.  Also, I find myself staring at her pasted on smile, ala Giada and Ree, and it starts to bug me, along with her jumping through hoops to get a recipe associated with some family member or memory (which I hate about FN).

• Love 2