Type keyword(s) to search

Girl Meets Farm - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I’ve watched the first few episodes and I like her. For someone so young she seems to know what she’s doing. The farm and her tiny little kitchen with that 20year old range are endearing. I thought she’s what Ree Drummond thinks she is but so clearly is not. I hope this catches on as I’d like to see her mature into it. I remember Giada’s early shows she was a bit rough but improved as she went. 

• Love 4
On 7/10/2018 at 10:15 AM, sadie said:

I’ve watched the first few episodes and I like her. For someone so young she seems to know what she’s doing. The farm and her tiny little kitchen with that 20year old range are endearing. I thought she’s what Ree Drummond thinks she is but so clearly is not. I hope this catches on as I’d like to see her mature into it. I remember Giada’s early shows she was a bit rough but improved as she went. 

Agreed!

I have been patiently watching and have yet to see anything Jewish or Chinese inspired. That said, the show is steadily growing on me. 

Totally agree that this is what "Pioneer Woman" should have been all along. 

It's clear that Molly is growing more and more comfortable each week. It was also nice to see the "show husband" contributing to the episode in a manner that isn't relegated to him stuffing his face, running hapless errands or being involved in something completely unrelated (working calves, anybody?)

I hope this show gets picked up for at least a second season.

• Love 1

I have liked it better as well.  However, again with the spices.  As a person who doesn't even use pepper, I am getting tired of spicing up virtually everything. 

The same goes for restaurants lately.  Apparently I am the only person in the world who despises a burning sensation in my mouth when I eat.  I would rather actually taste the food.

• Love 4
(edited)

I've only seen a couple of episodes, but I like it. Molly is charismatic and I looked online to find that apparently the "set" is her real-life tiny kitchen. I wonder if this show (and there may be another 'farm wife' show on Food Network or the Cooking Channel) is a hedge that FN has cooked up (see what I did there? LOL) against Ree getting too big for her britches with all of her collateral ventures, i.e. the Mercantile and the hotel.

Edited by Ashforth
grammar is good, y'all
  • Love 1
(edited)

I love Molly.  Think she is cute, sweet, and likeable.  Very calming to listen to and watch cook.  I, too, hope the show gets a second season.  She is real and not over-the-top.

Edited by Bazinga
On 7/18/2018 at 5:06 PM, KnoxForPres said:

On a shallow note I expected the hubs to be hotter yet appreciated he wasn’t. 

Thanks for putting into words why I find this show so endearing.  I think she’s lovely and a great palate cleanser after the cringefest of The Pioneer Woman and Trisha’s joke of a show. 

• Love 2

I'm enjoying this show a lot. I've been following her on pinterest for her baking recipes/cakes for a while but didn't know that much about her (didn't read her blog) and I find her very down to earth and funny. Between the small but cute kitchen, her electric oven/stove and the big ol' Buick land boat - for now I am glad she's keeping this idealized view of farm life a little more real.

On 7/16/2018 at 7:40 PM, CharlizeCat said:

I have been patiently watching and have yet to see anything Jewish or Chinese inspired.

It's not a direct Jewish connection but I think her hummus comes from recreating the dish she ate in her travels to Israel. Also the Challah. But I know what you mean. No one is immune from FN's "who are you in 1 sentence" intros.

In the intro they're teasing images of dumplings so looking forward to seeing that when it airs eventually.

• Love 2

I watched today's episode. Since Molly made tacos (or a version) last week, I wasn't too interested.  I thought it was a lot of effort to cook that beautiful brisket to put into a taco and I would have preferred that to be a stand-alone with the potatoes on the side. YMMV.  I didn't think it was terrible or anything. I never thought to serve chimichurri on potatoes. I'll remember that next time I make it and have a bunch leftover from eating on a steak and wondering what to do with it. 

I'm not a fan of marshmallows.

Molly's mother seemed very nice. It always makes me wistful to see a mother and daughter having a great time cooking together. My mother never ever let us set foot in the kitchen. She was too concerned that we'd make a mess, so when Molly said, "A messy kitchen is a happy kitchen," and her mother reacted so warmly, I felt envious!

While I am not crazy about every recipe, I think this show gets better and better every week. I don't know if anybody saw Molly as a guest judge on FNS last weekend. She did a great job and gave helpful tips on the Instagram clips and the food. 

• Love 1
On 7/16/2018 at 10:40 PM, CharlizeCat said:

I have been patiently watching and have yet to see anything Jewish or Chinese inspired. That said, the show is steadily growing on me. 

Totally agree that this is what "Pioneer Woman" should have been all along. 

It's clear that Molly is growing more and more comfortable each week. It was also nice to see the "show husband" contributing to the episode in a manner that isn't relegated to him stuffing his face, running hapless errands or being involved in something completely unrelated (working calves, anybody?)

I hope this show gets picked up for at least a second season.

Molly and her mom made brisket.  Brisket was always one of the dishes served during a Jewish holiday dinner in my family as well as my husband’s.  Everyone has their own variation - I went to a sedar where the hostess put cola in the sauce!

Every episode gets a bit better. The brisket tacos had my mouth watering. I don’t like marshmallows and what a mess it was. There’s something very relaxing about watching her cook. I hope she makes it. 

• Love 2

I saw 2 shows but for some reason that was it here on my Cox Cable in Phx, AZ.   I FF'd several weeks and there were no more airings of the show. 

I thought it was a refreshing take on interesting recipes in a farm setting. 

The one thing that I kind of cringed at was her husband working on machinery with grease-laden hands being handed her version of a melted cheese sandwich.  I thought she could have included a wet wipe first!  

(edited)

I watched the first 3-4 episodes in the last week.  She's cute and likeable but she's not making anything special that hasn't been done on all of the other cooking shows.  She made fish tacos - who doesn't know how to fry fish, slice cabbage or mix a sauce.  Those meatless meatballs... no thank you.   I didn't care about her husband building a pegboard to hang her baked donuts on - stupid.  I think the focus on her being a farm cook limits what to expect from her repertoire.  I want to see more of the Jewish/Asian side.

Edited by patty1h
  • Love 1

Ugh. That cookie salad looked horrible. I am sure the original recipe uses those icky packaged chocolate striped cookies, instant pudding and Cool Whip. I'm sure Molly's version tastes much better but that's one I'm not willing to try. Eating it alongside a savory dish just turned my stomach.

Molly is a good sport to make her husband's favorite regional dishes. From yesterday's show, I was picking up an Eva Douglas/Green Acres vibe (only Molly can cook) vibe, which I found endearing and amusing. I have made hot dish before with the traditional ingredients and kind of liked Molly's mashup of hot dish and chicken pot pie. Sounds interesting for a winter meal.

At least her husband eats and apparently likes green vegetables. 

• Love 2

Today’s episode finally delved into her Asian heritage with scallion pancakes and potstickers.  I thought everything looked great, including the cake.  I’ve reluctantly accepted the fact that all of these Food Network shows will definitely include snippets of the cooks’ personal lives, but I honestly don’t mind the scenes with her mom (who seems like a lovely lady), her dad, and the musical performance from today’s episode.  Her husband is also absolutely adorable.

Trust me, fellow snarkers, I’ve been searching high and low for things I could tear apart, but I’m really not finding much here.  I think she’s delightful and quite the refreshing palate cleanser after two hours of watching my sworn enemy, Ree Effing Drummond, open cans and stir big pots of slop.  And wow, is Trisha “Campbell’s Condensed Soup” Yearwood a big letdown after Molly Yeh.  Her recipes look 10 times worse than they normally would by comparison.

I’m in for the duration.

Edited by SuzyLee
  • Love 6
1 hour ago, SuzyLee said:

I’m in for the duration.

I am as well.  She seems like a really nice girl and I love watching her cook in the small kitchen without an acre-sized island and prep sink.  I did pick up a tip today with using and ice cream scoop for the frosting between layers. I have always eyeballed it and it's never the same amount. So simple but I never thought of that.

Not sure I'd make the pancakes or pot stickers before trying them in a restaurant because I'd hate to make a lot of stuff I wouldn't eat. But willing to try it now!

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Not sure I'd make the pancakes or pot stickers before trying them in a restaurant because I'd hate to make a lot of stuff I wouldn't eat. But willing to try it now!

I hear ya.  I hesitated to make them for years and years until I finally broke down one day and just did it.  You wouldn’t believe how easy they are once you’ve made your first batch and gotten the hang of it.  As long as you fill them with things you like, I bet you’ll love them.  They’re great for gatherings.  They’re snatched up in minutes and people are asking for more!

I really liked today's show, too, and we finally got to see some Asian food. Molly's dad was really nice and it was interesting to learn that he is also a musician, as well as Molly's husband (they met at Julliard.) Her in-laws seem like pleasant folks, too. This is a story I'd actually like to hear more about during the episodes. Now that we know how Molly and her husband met, why did they decide to go back to the farming community? Maybe all of that is addressed on her blog ...

That was indeed, a good tip about frosting cake. 

I think I will make that dressing Molly made to put on the green beans. I want to take some type of Asian noodle salad to work for the next week and that might work great as I have all the ingredients on hand. If I end up making it, I will report in the Test Kitchen thread.

I hope this show gets renewed.

• Love 1

Happy to say, season 2 starts today (Sundays) at 11 AM Eastern!  Episode 1 reairs Tuesday at 12:30 PM Eastern.  Love Molly!

Also, just read Molly is pregnant with her first child.  So happy for her.

Edited by Bazinga
  • Love 2

I was thinking of breaking out my donut pan just last week. I love baked donuts so plan on giving her chocolate hazelnut ones a try. I also liked her goulash recipe with the bread dumplings. I've made bread dumplings before (a Rachel Khoo recipe that was fried in butter not boiled) so I'm interested in how they will taste.

• Love 1

The pretzel bread stuffing today looked really good. Love idea of bringing in beer and mustard, give it a bit of tang. I generally love all stuffing though. I'm not a traditionalist by any means but cake instead of pie at Thanksgiving? Wha? Not my first choice for the meal but could be fun for a Friendsgiving or make them into cupcakes for a potluck.

(I don't want to get too off topic here but I accidentally watched some of the Martina's Table and saw some awful marshmallow/pimento cheese/pineapple thing and i feel a little ill because of it.)

Those chocolate hazelnut donuts looked good. I have a donut pan too (I think, not sure where i put it) I'll have to try them.

Edited by Refresh

I was excited to see her make lefse today but she was missing a rolling board.  And didn't talk about what you put on lefse when you roll it up.  Sure, some have it plain but me?  It's a vehicle for butter and sugar.

Just now, Ashforth said:

Molly doesn't make a lot of food that I would want to make myself, but damn, she is adorable and fun to watch.

I know what you mean.  I haven't tried a single recipe and don't think I am likely to, just a few too strange things. But she is so likable and I love her little kitchen complete with electric stove which is simply NEVER seen.

• Love 2

I want to like her, but I have an immediate bias against bloggers being given TV shows. She’s certainly a palate-cleanser against rich WASPs pretending to be non-pretentious and down-home. But we could’ve kept Amy Thielen, though. And it’s easy to “sleep, dream, and breathe food” when you’ve always done it from the comfort, calm, and freedom of your home kitchen. It’s something else entirely to still have such a passion for food after working in restaurants, hotels, bakeries, and other professional kitchens. And I know it’s an audience thing, but for bloggers to say they have such a “passion” for food, but never go beyond their comfort zone and what they know rings a little false.

But I do appreciate the baby steps in diversity on FN. Asians are almost nonexistent on FN/CC and the last time they had anybody Jewish was back in the Melting Pot show days.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, Automne said:

I want to like her, but I have an immediate bias against bloggers being given TV shows. She’s certainly a palate-cleanser against rich WASPs pretending to be non-pretentious and down-home. But we could’ve kept Amy Thielen, though. And it’s easy to “sleep, dream, and breathe food” when you’ve always done it from the comfort, calm, and freedom of your home kitchen. It’s something else entirely to still have such a passion for food after working in restaurants, hotels, bakeries, and other professional kitchens. And I know it’s an audience thing, but for bloggers to say they have such a “passion” for food, but never go beyond their comfort zone and what they know rings a little false.

But I do appreciate the baby steps in diversity on FN. Asians are almost nonexistent on FN/CC and the last time they had anybody Jewish was back in the Melting Pot show days.

Excellent post!

• Love 3

I think Molly's pregnancy cravings are getting the better of her so far this season.  Last week was that weird Speculous/marzipan cake mess and today was the fried cheese/pickles and the creamed spinach with the overkill of cheese. 

I agree that she is refreshing and personable. I am glad to see that she adds some diversity and she's a natural in front of the camera. Otherwise, so far, I find her skills about on par with the average home cook and her recipes are "Meh."

Maybe I'm just being a grouch because I don't feel so good today, but where do they find these people and why does every show need to stress the 'family traditions and memories' of the hosts, especially if there is some unusual ethnic component involved?  I guess this woman is probably a decent cook but I have not seen a single thing she does that tells me she is any kind of expert or can teach me something I don't already know.  Same goes for Ree Drummond, Trisha Yearwood, Valerie Bertinelli and their ilk.  

I really don't care about her home, her husband and their 'farm'.  I would love to see some true cooking experts that can really teach me something!  Why not produce a baking show with someone like Nick Malgieri or Rose Levy Beranbaum who are true experts in their fields?  I would love to see a show set in a professional bakery or restaurant to learn the real tips and secrets the pros use.  I really liked Anne Burrell's old show "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" because you actually learned how high-end restaurant food is created.  

And now for what bugs me more than anything else....why the incessant background music playing constantly?  Oh she's chopping something...cue the music!  She's squeezing a lemon....time for a different tune!  Seems like Barefoot Contessa started this trend, but at least her music was really distinctive and interesting.  

Guess what I'm really trying to say is that I'd love to see cooking experts rather than these 'lifestyle' shows.

On 12/9/2018 at 12:32 PM, Spunkygal said:

What about the Jewish Ina Garten?  Nothing wrong with diversity, but I am more interested in seeing expert-level cooks who can really teach me something, not just putting on a show simply because the host happens to be some particular ethnicity.  

Edited by Joan van Snark
  • Love 3
3 hours ago, Joan van Snark said:

Maybe I'm just being a grouch because I don't feel so good today, but where do they find these people and why does every show need to stress the 'family traditions and memories' of the hosts, especially if there is some unusual ethnic component involved?  I guess this woman is probably a decent cook but I have not seen a single thing she does that tells me she is any kind of expert or can teach me something I don't already know.  Same goes for Ree Drummond, Trisha Yearwood, Valerie Bertinelli and their ilk.  

I really don't care about her home, her husband and their 'farm'.  I would love to see some true cooking experts that can really teach me something!  Why not produce a baking show with someone like Nick Malgieri or Rose Levy Beranbaum who are true experts in their fields?  I would love to see a show set in a professional bakery or restaurant to learn the real tips and secrets the pros use.  I really liked Anne Burrell's old show "Secrets of a Restaurant Chef" because you actually learned how high-end restaurant food is created.  

And now for what bugs me more than anything else....why the incessant background music playing constantly?  Oh she's chopping something...cue the music!  She's squeezing a lemon....time for a different tune!  Seems like Barefoot Contessa started this trend, but at least her music was really distinctive and interesting.  

Guess what I'm really trying to say is that I'd love to see cooking experts rather than these 'lifestyle' shows.

What about the Jewish Ina Garten?  Nothing wrong with diversity, but I am more interested in seeing expert-level cooks who can really teach me something, not just putting on a show simply because the host happens to be some particular ethnicity.  

The Food Network's shift from expert or even home cooks who can teach viewers something was made public with the first season of The Next Food Network Star, "won" by the pre-selected Guy Fieri. In each successive season FN has made it clear that its focus is on hosts who can supposedly forge a personal connection to the audience with stories of their lifestyles and why they cook (or eat) what they do and a rudimentary ability to describe a dish (it's creamy, and then crunchy, the sweet and the salt creep up on you, the umami is subtle but incredible). And really, being able to cook doesn't matter because the host will be put into a formulaic travel-to-restaurants show.

There is no doubt in my mind that FN has focus-grouped this concept to the hilt, and there has to be a lot of its audience that just likes to watch their favorite personalities talk about food, regardless of any instructive content. And no offense to those viewers! I've succumbed. I like Molly and Trisha Yearwood and find their shows enjoyable even though I would never make their food. But this theory also led to the abomination that is The Kitchen, so, yeah, screw you FN.

Edited by Ashforth
  • Love 1

I want to like this show but halfway through I am changing the channel because I truly can't stand the background music in a constant play mode.  I just find it unnerving.  Silence once in a while is ok while she's slicing veggies or cracking an egg.  Does everything have to have a sprinkle?  Haha. Sounds harsh don't mean to be but the music is too much - tone it down.

On 7/28/2018 at 5:01 PM, pdlinda said:

I saw 2 shows but for some reason that was it here on my Cox Cable in Phx, AZ.   I FF'd several weeks and there were no more airings of the show. 

I thought it was a refreshing take on interesting recipes in a farm setting. 

The one thing that I kind of cringed at was her husband working on machinery with grease-laden hands being handed her version of a melted cheese sandwich.  I thought she could have included a wet wipe first!  

That's not realistic though for a lot of people who work with their hands in garages, outside, or even inside. Farmers, construction crews, machinists, hell even when I worked retail, you didn't think twice about eating with dirty hands. I can guarantee the crews working on the side of the road or in fields aren't whipping out wet naps. I worked retail for 20 years, yeah it was easier for us to get to a sink, but half the time we didn't. And retail can be filthy. I'd take my watch off at the end of the day and have a dirt tan or the dirt from the boxes was so gross that you learned not to wear a white bra if you expected it to stay while, your body was just covered in dirt that when thru your clothes. Dirt never hurt any of us. 

On 7/29/2018 at 2:47 PM, Kohola3 said:

Born and raised in the Midwest and have never once heard of cookie salad.  That's a dessert not a salad!

I'd liken it to an Ohio favorite, Strawberry Pretzel Salad. It's also basically a dessert, but it's pretty much served as a side dish. I can't tell you how many summer cookouts I've seen it at, always eaten along side the burgers, chips, main meal stuff, and then a totally different dessert served as an actual dessert. 

https://www.allrecipes.com/recipe/20338/strawberry-pretzel-salad/

• Love 2

I kind of wish I had a bun steamer!  Those carrot-filled steamed buns sounded mighty tasty.  Too many hot spices in her recipes for my taste but I would used parts of the marinade for salmon. Even the broccolini looked tasty if I left out the hot stuff!

This makes another week where Molly had recipes I'd like to try. Last week was the "tandoori" chicken and braised chickpeas.

I would try nearly everything she made for Chinese New Year. The dumplings looked a little too doughy for my taste.

Question:  Maybe I watch too many UK-based shows, but I thought that you cooked dumplings in a pan prior to steaming. You need to get the bottoms browned and crispy.

The peanut butter blondies Molly made today looked incredible and doable; the feta dip did, too, though I'd probably just buy pita chips to go with it. 

I am not the food police and women should do what they feel comfortable, per doctor's recommendations, when pregnant, I just thought it was funny that she made a huge point of making herself hard-boiled eggs but then using brie in her mac and cheese (unless it doesn't matter when it's heated? I should know this, I've been pregnant four times!)