Type keyword(s) to search

S14.E05: Take This Title and Run With It

• Start Topic

(edited)
32 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Have I completely spaced out this entire season or are the culinary POV's not being highlighted or even brought up much? I don't even know what any of the remaining finalist's POV's are.

Probably because they’re most likely arent going to end up with their own cooking show, their POV doesn’t matter.

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 3
25 minutes ago, LexieLily said:

Have I completely spaced out this entire season or are the culinary POV's not being highlighted or even brought up much? I don't even know what any of the remaining finalist's POV's are.

That's because at best they are going to have to host a traveling bbq show.  /snicker

• Love 4
22 minutes ago, biakbiak said:

Probably because they’re most likely going to end up with their own cooking show, their POV doesn’t matter.

Going to or NOT going to??!!!   I thought you went for the jugular there LOL

This episode mentioned Katie (is that her name?) as having a healthy food perspective...I don't remember that so I guess we aren't seeing it heavily edited for POV?  Because then after they win the viewers are left thinking "why is X hosting a traveling show for Food on a Stick when they are the mediterranean mamma?)   I thought she was the obviously blonde southern chef.  Manny is the firehouse chef.  The woman whose name I can't remember who lives in Hawaii is the mom chef.  Christian is the guy who is already guest judging on Food Network shows LOL.  Palak is the indian chef who beat bobby flay.   Are those POVs?  Jess was a food novelist making asian food....Adam was the regurgitated resuscitated chef......

• Love 1
Just now, HappyDancex2 said:

oing to or NOT going to??!!!   I thought you went for the jugular there LOL

I edited because I forgot to aid aren’t. None of the recent winners have gotten their own show designed around them and their POV but folded into existing properties. 

5 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

That’s what’s wrong with the show now. It’s up to Bobby and Giada to pick a winner, not the viewers or people who really care about seeing someone who knows what they are doing educate their audience about a recipe or whatever. 

I have no idea how it would work with production schedules, but have the audience vote each week for who stays and goes or at least the final few weeks.

I think it's too hard to market the new shows.   They have their pat list of ones that work on this network and that's it.  They keep saying people ask for them but nobody watches them so anything like that goes to the Cooking Channel,  which I don't have as part as my package at the moment.   Not that I would have watched any of these people anyway.  

Even if I want something like Indian food I can find a great recipe or blog that will get me the recipe or technique that I want to learn.   Or just eat at a good local indian place.   I wouldn't waste money on tons of episodes of Aarti or Palak making the food at all.   That's a lot of resources to get viewers interested in a type of cuisine that they are more likely to never try to cook IMO!!!!

• Love 2
16 hours ago, HappyDancex2 said:

Christian can also be edited into a decent network stooge.  His hair was also tragic tonight.  It’s like they took a dull razor and clipped his wispy baldness into an uneven regrowth pattern.  What was going on tonight in hair and makeup??

Christian needs to meet my waxer. Bobby has something really weird going on with his hair--the entire front flips up.

• Love 1
13 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Is it wrong of me to say that none of these people are attractive enough to be on TV?

No, it definitely is not!

Katie is like the rooster roaster of this season. If she gets paired with anybody, then they get sent home. I do not know how that happens, never seen something like that on this show. I have a feeling she will win this show. Can’t stand her.

I liked Jess, but the “food novelist” thing was getting old, so I was not sorry to see her go. Food novelists are usually people who write novels about food, so the book Jess wrote proved her to be a food novelist.

Matthew is likeable, he is fun to watch and is always enthusiastic about the food. 

I appreciate Amy for making a second chance on here, but I don’t like the voice and hope she goes soon.

If I had to pick somebody to win this thing, it would be Steven Seagal.

Also, Fran Drescher was a good judge for the main heat. I liked her personality and her “nanny” voice.

7 hours ago, Yeah No said:

although it does surprise me to see all the shade on her this week as opposed to all the defense she got last week

Last week Jess did well. This week she did not. None of the things she did well last week were components of this week's challenges, and I'd still defend her on the basis of those things if they were relevant. Just because I didn't find her pretentious or entitled at any point doesn't mean she didn't deserve to go this week based on performance, because she kinda did.

• Love 2

After the first week when the judges claimed Rebekah didn't follow the challenge guidelines, we had five out of six people not really follow it this week.  Manny's bread pudding was the only dish that fit the criteria.  Rice is not ooey or gooey.  A taco is not cheat eats.  And the stackables were not stacked.

I loved that Manny beat Amy again after she chose him to compete against, lol.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, dewelar said:

10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

although it does surprise me to see all the shade on her this week as opposed to all the defense she got last week

Last week Jess did well. This week she did not. None of the things she did well last week were components of this week's challenges, and I'd still defend her on the basis of those things if they were relevant. Just because I didn't find her pretentious or entitled at any point doesn't mean she didn't deserve to go this week based on performance, because she kinda did.

I was referring to all the criticism of her or statements suggesting that she deserved to go based on her being pretentious, entitled, being a food novelist (and that getting old), wearing too bright lipstick, etc., not comments specifically about her performance in this episode.

28 minutes ago, Yeah No said:
3 hours ago, dewelar said:

10 hours ago, Yeah No said:

I was referring to all the criticism of her or statements suggesting that she deserved to go based on her being pretentious, entitled, being a food novelist (and that getting old), wearing too bright lipstick, etc., not comments specifically about her performance in this episode.

Ah, OK. I ignore those types of comments when I can, since I'm not a fan of pettiness. Thus, I have no idea if the any of the people making them now were defending Jess last week, and I have no inclination to find out :D .

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Simon47 said:

Matthew is likeable, he is fun to watch and is always enthusiastic about the food. 

Clearly I'm not paying good attention. Which one is Matthew?

• Love 2

“Your favorite monster family is back.” For a moment, I was thinking Food Network had a new show with the Duggars cooking ranch dressing and Miracle Whip fantasies for a crowd. Maybe they could compete against each other. Jason Smith could judge. Lord honey, I would watch that faster than you could wrap my pineapple and call me a food novelist!

Wow, Amy, your attempts at humor would be dismissed by the writers of Fuller House as being neither funny nor edgy enough. That being said, she is still funnier and edgier than Guy Fieri, but that’s only as difficult as being funnier than Ayn Rand and edgier than a sphere.

Christian’s wardrobe by Old Navy children’s wear x Weekend at Bernie’s x eating Cheetos in an above ground pool is amazing. Whether or not he wins this prestigious series, he will wind up as a style icon just like William Hung became a musical icon.

Food Novelist™: “He’s from ancient Egypt and my grandma lives in Hong Kong.” I haven’t heard such a culturally authentic statement on Food Network since Sandra Lee referred to cilantro as “the parsley of the East” or stuck Corn Nuts on a Kwanzaa cake. In fact, Sandra Lee published a memoir and a novel so she’s already been there, done that, put it on a tablescape, and added a couple twenty shots of vodka depending on how much fun you want to have at your party.

I would watch a TV show called Ooey Gooey the day that Giada wears a Snuggie to judges’ table and Guy Fieri has an age-appropriate haircut and Hong Kong becomes a territory of Egypt. 

Having to hear the phrase “ooey gooey” 357 times in a six-minute period is giving me hives. Couldn’t they give it a more palatable title, like Slurping Moist Bulbous Jowl Pulp?

Ooey warming emulsions dripping over your gooey storytelling skills? Ooey gooey makes me smile and think of my children? I need to go drink a liter of ooey grappa to wash down my gooey Egyptian stacked snack which comes from my family's original Hong Kong recipe that my kids love eating with ooey rice at the most gooey sushi restaurant in The South.

• Love 13
23 hours ago, spiderpig said:

Can we have a double elimination next week please?  Katie and Amy.  The producers owe us.

Yes we definitely can! They are the most annoying ones!

Katie reminds me of Rudy from the Cosby show and Amy doesn’t sound good at all with her cooking.

• Love 1
18 hours ago, cherbitrary said:

So - the Ooey Gooey pair didn't do Ooey Gooey, the Stacked Snacks pair didn't do stacked (I know Palak said you could stack the samosas and she plated them leaning on each other...but I don't count it), and only one of the Cheat Eats pair did a Cheat Eat.  Successful challenge right there.

I was trying to figure out how none of them got the point. Then I realized it’s because they are still in the mindset of pitching their own show with their own POV. So they tried to spin their idea into being close enough - like they do on every other challenge.

Amy I like you (unlike much of the board). And I would totally watch a show about healthy versions of indulgent food. But it wouldn’t be called “Cheat Eats!” (It would be called Junk Food Flip and feature a different blonde non-winner.)

13 hours ago, Maya said:

I don’t even understand steak tartare. I thought it was dangerous to eat raw meat and raw egg (!) One of the judges said it tasted like raw beef with no seasoning ?

It’s a question of whether bacteria could have gotten into what you’re eating. The interior of a steak is fine and serving it raw is no worse than serving it extra-rare. However, never eat purchased ground beef that is close to raw. The process of grinding it up means there is no inside anymore. So cook your burgers to at least 155F.

• Love 3
9 hours ago, Aerobicidal said:

“Your favorite monster family is back.” For a moment, I was thinking Food Network had a new show with the Duggars cooking ranch dressing and Miracle Whip fantasies for a crowd. Maybe they could compete against each other. Jason Smith could judge. Lord honey, I would watch that faster than you could wrap my pineapple and call me a food novelist!

Wow, Amy, your attempts at humor would be dismissed by the writers of Fuller House as being neither funny nor edgy enough. That being said, she is still funnier and edgier than Guy Fieri, but that’s only as difficult as being funnier than Ayn Rand and edgier than a sphere.

Christian’s wardrobe by Old Navy children’s wear x Weekend at Bernie’s x eating Cheetos in an above ground pool is amazing. Whether or not he wins this prestigious series, he will wind up as a style icon just like William Hung became a musical icon.

Food Novelist™: “He’s from ancient Egypt and my grandma lives in Hong Kong.” I haven’t heard such a culturally authentic statement on Food Network since Sandra Lee referred to cilantro as “the parsley of the East” or stuck Corn Nuts on a Kwanzaa cake. In fact, Sandra Lee published a memoir and a novel so she’s already been there, done that, put it on a tablescape, and added a couple twenty shots of vodka depending on how much fun you want to have at your party.

I would watch a TV show called Ooey Gooey the day that Giada wears a Snuggie to judges’ table and Guy Fieri has an age-appropriate haircut and Hong Kong becomes a territory of Egypt. 

Having to hear the phrase “ooey gooey” 357 times in a six-minute period is giving me hives. Couldn’t they give it a more palatable title, like Slurping Moist Bulbous Jowl Pulp?

Ooey warming emulsions dripping over your gooey storytelling skills? Ooey gooey makes me smile and think of my children? I need to go drink a liter of ooey grappa to wash down my gooey Egyptian stacked snack which comes from my family's original Hong Kong recipe that my kids love eating with ooey rice at the most gooey sushi restaurant in The South.

Winner post!  

• Love 2
22 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Raw chicken, yes. Beef and seafood are OK served raw. Or sushi bars would go out of business.

It’s dangerous to eat raw beef if you don’t know the source. You should not make steak tartare using store bought ground beef! ?

• Love 2

I don't have children and never watch children's programming so I never heard of HT and knew nothing about it.  I don't really care, either, do U?  Bobby and LBH didn't, they sat through this pointless product placement and aside from calling the winner didn't really do much else except sleepwalk through the segment so the producers could cash that check.

Speaking of pointless, what's the point of giving them show titles to try to embody when nobody gets a show?  In the olden days the cringe was them spending so much time on "food authority", POV and the contestants' actual cooking skills when if hired the job would be to look presentable and not be a horrible troll  while presenting the FN Test Kitchen's recipes using the producer's provided script.  Now it's cringey to watch them pretend that even that painfully limited job description is something they could ever be so lucky as to have the chance to fulfill.  Now it's "Enjoy the moment in the sun that is FNS, and if you're cool through that we'll try to find you a place in the chorus." 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Johnny Dollar said:

We need to get used to the fact that TPTB want Amy to win, if not this season, then next. Or the next. Or the one after that. 

If they wanted her to win, she would win. They haven’t been allowing the audience to vote in awhile.

• Love 1

Fran Drescher is 60 and beautiful in her shoes right now. So proud of her for not letting age dominate her life.

I like Christian, Manny, and Palak. Katie and Amy can go anytime.

• Love 3
On ‎7‎/‎9‎/‎2018 at 2:39 PM, biakbiak said:

Probably because they’re most likely arent going to end up with their own cooking show, their POV doesn’t matter.

Even back in the days when they did actually give the winner a show, it had nothing to do with their POV. For example, they gave Melissa D'Arabian that show about budget meals, when it was not something she talked about during her season. I think that Jeff Mauro was the exception, but only because they realized that "Sandwich King" was a great concept for a show. Coming up with that probably made him the winner from Day One.

As someone previously said, they used to hammer constantly on the culinary POV. (I can still hear Bob Tuschman saying, "you make great food, but we don't know your culinary point of view.") I admit that it used to drive me a little crazy, but back then the show did seem to have some integrity, and the contestants were of a generally much higher caliber.

I feel like this year we're being invited to laugh at how clueless these people are, as they struggle to deal with the ridiculous challenges. Bobby and Giada have certainly spent much time this year literally laughing in the face of some of the contestants. There's really a mean-spiritedness about this show now that I find distasteful. (I used to like Adam Gertler a lot but lost respect for him for being willing to endure this farce.)

Not having realized that Master Chef was back on, I've been catching up on-demand and thinking that there are so many people on that show who are talented cooks and have good presentation skills and attractive personalities who would be way better on FNS than any of the people we actually have. Half of this year's contestants I can't even stand listening to because of the unpleasant sound of their voices alone. (Especially the women. Don't know which was worse. Jess' vocal fry or Amy's whine.)

• Love 2

I know I watched this episode because I remember Fran Drescher and fruit soup being to represent a mummy, but do not remember anything else. It was that dull and boring. It's hardly even snark worthy. Sigh, at least Food Truck is coming back soon.

I have watched most seasons of this show.  Do ANY of the winners have an actual show--or do they just pop up as judges in another lame FN show??  Why do they continue with it if no one is really ever a "Food Network Star"?  I'll take Top Chef any day!

I was kinda surprised Jess went home--not because of her cooking skills, but because she's an attractive (in my opinion) Asian woman, and I thought FN would be all over that.  Her hair and dress/shoe combo were HORRENDOUS there at the end but, overall, I thought her outfits were very smart and sophisticated.

And the ratings for the past week are out - FNS is #1.

FOOD NETWORK RATINGS FOR ORIGINAL PROGRAMS – July 2-8, 2018

Source: Showbuzzdaily

(Rank/Show/Timeslot/# of Viewers/Demo 18-49 rating in parenthesis)

1--FOOD NETWORK STAR---Sunday 9:00PM---1,445,000 (0.39)

2--WEDDING CAKE CHAMPIONSHIP---Monday 9:00PM---1,174,000 (0.29)

3--BEAT BOBBY FLAY---Thursday 10:00PM---1,080,000 (0.34)

4--CHOPPED---Tuesday 9:00PM---1,079,000 (0.28)

5--THE KITCHEN---Saturday 11:00AM---1,048,000 (0.15)

6--PIONEER WOMAN---Saturday 10:00AM---977,000 (0.23)

7--DINERS, DRIVE-INS & DIVES---Friday 9:00PM---921,000 (0.24)

8--IRON CHEF AMERICA---Sunday 10:00PM---825,000 (0.23)

9--GIRL MEETS FARM---Sunday 11:00AM---748,000 (0.15)

10-GUY’S GROCERY GAMES: CULINARY IDOLS---Wednesday 9:00PM---744,000 (0.20)

11-CHOPPED SWEETS: JUST DESSERTS (Finale)---Monday 10:00PM---675,000 (0.19)

12-CAKE MASTERS (Finale)---Monday 11:30PM---510,000 (0.18)

13-DALLAS CAKES (Finale)---Monday 11:00PM---500,000 (0.15)

14-BAKED IN VERMONT---Sunday 8:30AM---408,000 (0.11)

• Love 1

I can’t believe there are that many of us willing to watch this facade of a game show every week.

1 hour ago, Julia67 said:

Do ANY of the winners have an actual show

They used to. He Who Shall Not Be Named sort of ruined it for everyone from that point on.

• Love 5
57 minutes ago, cooksdelight said:

He Who Shall Not Be Named sort of ruined it for everyone from that point on

He definitely ruined it for the option of having a show start the week after the finale.  Of course, instead of blaming themselves for not vetting him properly, they take it out on the competitors.  Perhaps the fact that FNS is now completely an end game instead of a launch pad is the reason real citizen cooks who watch LBH or Aunt Sandy and think, "I could do that," no longer apply and instead we get nothing but famewhore wannabes.

1 hour ago, chessiegal said:

(Rank/Show/Timeslot/# of Viewers/Demo 18-49 rating in parenthesis)

1--FOOD NETWORK STAR---Sunday 9:00PM---1,445,000 (0.39)

18-49.  Feh.

Do we know how it fares against other networks in that time slot?  That's the primest of prime time.  I notice that it doesn't hold its audience for the next hour when ICA comes on.

13 minutes ago, meowmommy said:

definitely ruined it for the option of having a show start the week after the finale.  Of course, instead of blaming themselves for not vetting him properly, they take it out on the competitors.  Perhaps the fact that FNS is now completely an end game instead of a launch pad is the reason real citizen cooks who watch LBH or Aunt Sandy and think, "I could do that," no longer apply and instead we get nothing but famewhore wannabes.

Preach. :) It’s why I stopped applying. I tried for several years to get on then quit once I saw the way the show was going.

I’m still applying to Chopped. I’m going to tell them I am there to honor my dead cat’s memory, who loved the way I fixed his dinner. 

• Love 17
2 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

Preach. :) It’s why I stopped applying. I tried for several years to get on then quit once I saw the way the show was going.

I’m still applying to Chopped. I’m going to tell them I am there to honor my dead cat’s memory, who loved the way I fixed his dinner. 

Lol .  Wait.  I need a tissue.  That's the best sob story I think I've heard.  ?.  

Actually, better then some of the made up/fantasized stories we've heard this season.  ?

• Love 1

I’m going to have a button made with his photo, and his name, Harry, and wear that on my jacket or whatever. I will get teary-eyed, for sure. :D

I’ll name my dishes that I make after him. “In this first round, this Harrytizer is made of ......” 

836FAFE7-3C6F-4DCC-8E80-D50CE577F8F0.jpeg

• Love 22
3 hours ago, cooksdelight said:

I’m going to have a button made with his photo, and his name, Harry, and wear that on my jacket or whatever. I will get teary-eyed, for sure. :D

I’ll name my dishes that I make after him. “In this first round, this Harrytizer is made of ......” 

836FAFE7-3C6F-4DCC-8E80-D50CE577F8F0.jpeg

Your car is so cute!

What was the cause of his death?

• Love 1

I think that one of the things that makes this season so strange is that on the one hand, none of them are going to get a cooking show and on the other most of them are ringers in some way.  Adam was the clearest case, but Christian has been a judge on Chopped and Beat Bobby Flay?? I’m stunned he won the judging competition? And Palek (who i like already Beat Bobby Flay in his own show)?  In this company Amy seems like a newbie to television.

(edited)

It's been a few days, but I remain puzzled. What connection does the episode title have to do with the episode? I assume that they were supposed to make great demos based on those horrific "show" ideas?

Anyone? Bueller?

Edited by Sew Sumi
10 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

It's been a few days, but I remain puzzled. What connection does the episode title have to do with the episode? I assume that they were supposed to make great demos based on those horrific "show" ideas?

Anyone? Bueller?

Maybe that there’s only five folks left.

(edited)
19 hours ago, Sew Sumi said:

Anyone? Bueller?

If you're referring to "take this title and run with it", I think the idea was - if we gave you a show and this was the title, gives us an example of what you would do. 

Like @bluepiano said, its part of the mean-spirited direction the show has turned to.  Asking them to pitch a show idea that isn't theirs, and would suck.

I'm just really not liking this season, not the contestants, the tasks, or the way the judges are treating them.

Edited by backformore
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Simon47 said:

I read a post on Twitter saying this is Giada’s last season on FNS. Not sure if this is true. I hope it is.

Yeah, there are all sorts of posts on Twitter and various SM that various stars are leaving their shows to start makeup companies or some such nonsense... I seriously doubt Giada is leaving FN.

(edited)
20 hours ago, chessiegal said:

Who made the post on Twitter Giada is leaving FNS? Was it Giada?

It was someone else, dlovely10, that actually made that post.

Here is the conversation:

Tina Turner: “Just watched the most recent Episode of #FoodNetworkStar and I gotta say... Giada's a bitch. The two people who went home were the two who a) made her dishes and b) were judging her.

Clearly she can't take critiques and she felt challenged when they were giving her advice (which you're suppose to do like she does) I lost all respect for Giada because she can't handle some critiques and basically lost her mind when they didn't like something that she made.

If she's going to act like that, get someone who won't lose their cool so quickly. That's my rant done.”

dlovely10: “I heard this is her last season.”

Tina Turner: “That would be nice!”

Edited by Simon47
Wanted @chessiegal to see the REAL conversation.