Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

Drake reminds me of a puppy--minus a puppy's natural charm. He's like the most annoying, least trainable puppy on the world. He's the puppy that just keeps shitting in your shoes and doesn't get why you're aggravated and don't want to be his pal right now.

(I say all this as a dog lover who ordinarily loves puppies.)

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Gizkok said:

Did I misunderstand?  When Sam told Drake to give her another chance I thought he was talking about Rosina.  But Drake heard what he wanted to hear.

I think Sam said that Rosina would probably give him another chance but that he should try with Morwenna one more time.

• Love 2
56 minutes ago, johanna101 said:

I think Sam said that Rosina would probably give him another chance but that he should try with Morwenna one more time.

That's the impression I got from watching the deleted scene along with the other scenes.. Sam spoke with Rosina and learned that she has no animosity Towards Drake, in fact she can understand his behavior because he loved Morwenna, but doesn't feel Morwenna earned that love.  I gather that at some point during their conversation off-screen, Sam learned that Rosina would consider working things out with Drake.  Drake, listening to Sam, decided to visit Morwenna one last time to tell her that despite all that has happened, he still loves her. Probably not what the poor girl wanted to hear at this point, but perhaps it might give her solace that even though the people around her treat her like crap, at least she knows she's loved by someone.

• Love 2

I enjoyed the Elizabeth/Ross conversations.  I was wondering why she felt the need to tell Ross that she was content. 

I did NOT enjoy this one bit.  I'd tell you why, but that would mean bringing up the novels.  Needless to say, I think that Debbie Horsfield and the BBC have seriously undermined this saga.

Thanks for the recap of the missing scene. But I’m pretty sure that would Rosina said was that he went to her when she was widowed, not wedded. Because wedded makes no sense.

I was annoyed with Morwenna but now I understand.

yall it’s not that she couldn’t love s baby or marry drake with someone else’s baby. She loves her other son.

its the MOTHER IN LAW. With another child they will never let her go. She’ll be in prison forever.

she has a point.

I hope Caroline and Dwight try again because among everything else those are such pretty people and I like them both very much. Kind and merry is an unusual combination.

Demelza and Ross in London were cute. Every man throughout time has liked to see his wife naked. That rang true as did her modesty.

i even like George and his reaction to the pregnancy. His one redeeming trait is he does indeed love Elizabeth. 

Edited by lucindabelle
  • Love 2
3 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

Thanks for the recap of the missing seen. But I’m pretty sure that would Rosina said was that he went to her when she was widowed, not wedded. Because wedded makes no sense.

Yes, of course, I misspoke, so to speak.  Thank you for correcting me and setting the scenario straight.

3 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

i even like George and his reaction to the pregnancy. His one redeeming trait is he does indeed love Elizabeth.

Does he?  Does George truly love Elizabeth?  Perhaps now he does, I have not rethought my original conclusion.  My thoughts have always been that George views Elizabeth as a prize he was able to win over Ross because he was better positioned to provide for her long-term support. Remember, Elizabeth was taken aback when she found out that Ross had married Demelza, and she had always held out hope that Ross would renew his bid for her hand after Francis died.  I may be suffering from hallucinations, but I thought Elizabeth made some of her decisions based on the fact that Ross had moved on with Demelza, despite George's derision about scullery maids. I think George took advantage of Elizabeth's shock and pressed his case.  He won.  Elizabeth, to me, is just George's trophy wife (with perks of a better social standing).  Now, his excitement at an impending child, I believe, was quite real; so there is some tiny bit of humanity in George, I think.  He loves Elizabeth as much as she can bear him an heir.  If Elizabeth were barren, George would have no qualms about kicking her out on the street as unsuitable.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3

I have no trouble believing George does love Elizabeth, but you're also right in that he primarily views her as a prize he eventually won over the hated Poldarks who polishes up his aristocratic pretensions beyond what he could have likely accomplished on his own.  He loves her for the credit and legitimacy she and her old name and bloodline bring him.  His children will have legitimate claims to being gentility through her, rather than like him be considered nouveau riche offshoots of a blacksmith.  Still, he's pretty quick to defer to her when she tells him enough, to drop some avenue of real or imagined vengeance against Drake or Ross, for example.  His delight in advancing himself seems to be as much about proving himself "worthy" of her as it is for himself and settling petty slights against the gentility he both avidly courts and hates.  

George is actually a pretty fascinating mix of motives and affections once you get past the tedious Ross Ross Ross fixation.  On the surface, that fixation and the idea of being cuckolded to raise and make his heir a child not biologically his would seem to be the main impetus behind his lingering suspicions that Ross fathered Valentine, which we as viewers know isn't completely off the mark.  But mixed in there is the idea that Ross got there first, that Ross even momentarily had something he believed he'd won over him.  Sure, as a modern woman I can be turned off by George viewing Elizabeth as a "prize," little more than a possession he has that he knows Ross very badly wanted and has taken great glee in rubbing Ross's nose in at various points.  By the standards of their day, however, wives are basically chattel and a reflection on the man who secured them.  Elizabeth as his wife reflects well on George and he's extremely aware of it.  

• Love 4
16 minutes ago, nodorothyparker said:

Still, he's pretty quick to defer to her when she tells him enough, to drop some avenue of real or imagined vengeance against Drake or Ross, for example. 

But then he immediately went behind her back and told the meathead to go burn Drake's house down. 

George is, and always will be, an insecure little weasel.  He's probably got small hands, too. ; )

• Love 4

I think George loving Elizabeth and seeing her as a prize are not mutually exclusive. A lot of his ideas about class and his competition with Ross are also mixed up in that, so it's clearly dysfunctional, but I was always under the impression that he was infatuated with her for a long time. Getting to pull one over on the gentry and Ross is an added bonus. 

As far as husbands go on the show, George is actually a lot more affectionate than Ross is. Of course, he's also a backstabbing little weasel, so there's that, too. 

And I'm not sure he would throw her over just because she was childless. He was incredibly curt with his uncle when Cary was making snide comments about her not being strong enough to have children in past seasons. Seems like his uncle had made him well aware she was not a good choice for providing an heir, and he didn't care and didn't want to hear it.

34 minutes ago, Ohwell said:

George is, and always will be, an insecure little weasel.  He's probably got small hands, too. ; )

I know this isn't what you're referencing. But I just watched one of the It's Always Sunny episodes with Charlie's creepy Uncle Jack, his delusional fixation on his hand size, and his fake big hands he overcompensates with. Envisioning George sporting those and am DYING laughing. 

uncle jack hands.jpg

uncle jack 2.jpg

You know you want to see George wearing these and acting like there's nothing the slightest bit out of the ordinary. 

uncle jack 3.jpg

"You're put off by my hands. I know they're very small. It's been very hard on me."

Edited by Zella
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, Ohwell said:
1 hour ago, nodorothyparker said:

Still, he's pretty quick to defer to her when she tells him enough, to drop some avenue of real or imagined vengeance against Drake or Ross, for example. 

But then he immediately went behind her back and told the meathead to go burn Drake's house down. 

Exactly. If George can screw Ross and his extended family somehow, George will do it, no matter what Elizabeth says. His spite and pettiness will always win out.

• Love 8
6 hours ago, lucindabelle said:

When she fainted he looked truly terrified.

I cannot say for certain what were George's thoughts when Elizabeth fainted.  It could have been concern for her well-being out of love, or it could have been the realization that his social rung up the ladder can be wiped out in a fraction of a second if Elizabeth dies.  I'm cynical, I always think the worst of the little shit.

• Love 5

I believe that George genuinely loves Elizabeth.  He always has.  Even from the beginning.  But I do believe that during his "courtship" of her and their early marriage, he also saw her as a trophy wife, as a blow against Ross and as someone who could help him rise on the social class ladder.

However, I also feel that Ross' attitude toward Elizabeth was no better . . . even worse in some ways.  I believed he viewed her as some feminine ideal for him to worship.  And I think what she wanted was a companion to love.  I also believe that Ross' ideal of Elizabeth led him to react in anger when she became engaged to George, by forcing himself upon her.  George was not only his enemy, but someone from the lower class, whom he believed was unworthy of being Elizabeth's husband.  By raping Elizabeth, Ross not only took revenge not only against George, but against Elizabeth for this second rejection of him and for sullying his ideal of her.

Edited by CTrent29
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

Are there only two episodes left this season?  Why do I feel that this story has slowed to a crawl and nothing much happened beyond Sarah and Ross' new post?  This is the last season????

No, there is a final season to come after this, they have just finished shooting it. It is likely to be original content, though, in the main, because this current season ends at the point where the novels skip forward in time more than 10 years to focus on the next generation, and they aren't going to be able to convincingly age their actors that much! So unless material from the later novels is brought forward into the new season, it looks likely to be original content designed to wrap up all the storylines.

• Love 2
55 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

@Llywela  Thank you very much although the news saddens me a bit and may force me to actually read my Kindle books to see how the story ends

The last book is really not worth your time.  Winston Graham jumped the shark with it.  Now there are a few plotlines in the later books that I want to see on screen before the last book.  

• Love 1
5 hours ago, Ohiopirate02 said:

The last book is really not worth your time.  Winston Graham jumped the shark with it.  Now there are a few plotlines in the later books that I want to see on screen before the last book.  

Thanks.  I look forward to reading the books once the series on air, ends.  See what all the fuss is abut between Winston's version and Debbie's version. I'm not encouraging talk about the differences; I'll find those on my own.

• Love 2
On 11/12/2018 at 2:10 PM, Llywela said:

No, there is a final season to come after this, they have just finished shooting it. It is likely to be original content, though, in the main, because this current season ends at the point where the novels skip forward in time more than 10 years to focus on the next generation, and they aren't going to be able to convincingly age their actors that much! So unless material from the later novels is brought forward into the new season, it looks likely to be original content designed to wrap up all the storylines.

I won't be watching that.  Debbie Horsfield has proven to me that she is incapable doing real justice to Graham's saga.  And I fear that she'll stick some drippy "happily ever after" coda at the end of Season 5.

• Love 1