Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E06: Episode 6

• Start Topic

Episode Synopsis:

Nathaniel Pearce's death reveals how he embezzled Pascoe's clients funds. In London, Ross finds Geoffrey Charles led astray by Adderley and steers his nephew from trouble before telling Elizabeth. Dwight meanwhile helps in the development of Truro's infirmary as Ross, Geoffrey Charles and Caroline return to Cornwall.

Good for Rosina for telling Drake that if she can stand to look at him, he can look her. She's got a lot more backbone than he does.

LOL at Ross meeting Valentine.

Elizabeth is playing a dangerous game with her pregnancy. Dwight won't spill the beans, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone figures out what she's doing.

So is this new bank replacing the one that went under? I'm a bit unclear about what's going on here. 

• Love 3

I loved this episode. No sturm and drang for Ross and Demelza.  Elizabeth showing some backbone. Dwight and Caroline and their banter. A worthwhile community project. Off to London!  A lot happened and it wasn’t all a rehash.  

And anytime Aidan Turner gets to actually laugh is a winner. 

• Love 7

I love the scene with Ross and Demelza after he gets into it with George. Oh Ross how you vex me? I loved the entire exchange. 

Little Valentine is a mini Ross and I find it very entertaining. 

So Morwenna is pregnant that’s why she’s weepy and wants to be medicated?

Edited by TiredMe
  • Love 4

Lol'd at elizabeth and george's exchange when she told him about the pregnancy...to paraphrase:

"When are you expecting?" 

"Uh--does december sound good?"

"Sure, works for me!"

George doesn't even question it. Lol. It was sweet of how happy he was though, and how he wants a little girl, but then the uncle had to ruin the moment :(

Jeffy boy, get it together! Nana poldark did not raise you to become a francis 2.0, she raised you to carry on the cromwell line! Bah! 

Ross and demelza happily ditching their kids for a month--no way would those kiddos be that happy to see them leave. Unless they somehow know this means their lives should be relatively drama free for a month now that their parents are away from them...

• Love 6

Rosina obviously wins this episode. One scene, three lines, and she proves she's got more gumption than the whole town.  She's a girl out of her time.  Maybe Jeffrey Charles, once he gets his act together, may someday aspire to her greatness.

Ugh.  They're turning Morwenna into a Bronte sister.

Co-sign Aidan laughing in this ep.  He's certainly a brooder of Rochester & Heathcliff proportions (speaking of the Brontes!!), but what always drew me to his Being Human character were his playful moments with his co-stars.

Caroline can be so irritating at times, with her coy, wannabe-Duchess of Devonshire/Lady Hamilton affectations!  Sometimes I just wanna reach through my tv screen and FLICK HER.  

But then without warning, explanation, consideration, or any obvious change of heart -- boom, she's back in Cornwall, and Dwight and me, we're charmed by her all over again.

Goddamnit.

• Love 7
38 minutes ago, magdalene said:

No argument Morvenna has had it rough but while I feel sorry for her I don't actually like her all that much.  She seems one of those people who is determined to be a victim and a sad sack.

This probably makes me a terrible person, but she and Drake both exasperate me and get on my nerves. I can pity their situations. Maybe it's the actors, but I just have a hard time finding either one engaging, and Drake actively pisses me off. 

• Love 12
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

This probably makes me a terrible person, but she and Drake both exasperate me and get on my nerves. I can pity their situations. Maybe it's the actors, but I just have a hard time finding either one engaging, and Drake actively pisses me off. 

We can be terrible together - I find both characters annoying and eye-roll inducing as a couple.  But then I never had much patience for couples who believe they are Romeo and Juliet.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, magdalene said:

We can be terrible together - I find both characters annoying and eye-roll inducing as a couple.  But then I never had much patience for couples who believe they are Romeo and Juliet.

:D My theory on Romeo and Juliet is Shakespeare wrote them as an example of what not to do. Mercutio is where it's at in that play. 

The thing that kills me with the most with Drake is that he just basically gives up on life because he can't have the girl he wants. We all don't get what we want at some point in life, and a big part of being a functional adult is moving on with your life in those instances. Doesn't make it hurt any less, but that's just life. But he just basically wants to lie down and die instead. I have no respect for that. 

I give Morwenna the slightest bit of a pass because she has had an awful married life, for sure, but even then, I just never found her a very interesting character. 

I guess it's inevitable the two most boring people on the show want to be together. Everyone else would probably fall asleep. 

Edited by Zella
  • Love 9

The shirtless man on the beach scene has really become a joke on this show now. Wonder if the show runners are forcing the men to do this, or whether all the men in the show are demanding that they have their shirtless scene in hopes of launching their career, like Aiden Turner? I am embarrassed as a woman if the show is doing this because women are demanding this. Overall, agreed with the comments so far, especially with those not feeling the Drake/Morewanna relationship. Agree that Drake seems about 16 years old, but cannot tell how old anyone is supposed to be on this show (Jeffrey Charles dramatic age increase, Valentine seems as old or older than Jeremy, and the adults don’t seem to age a bit). As a side not, and I know there is another forum for it, BUT EEK!! THE VICTORIA PROMO!! CANNOT WAIT!!

• Love 3
9 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Good for Rosina for telling Drake that if she can stand to look at him, he can look her. She's got a lot more backbone than he does.

Yes, she does.

8 hours ago, voiceover said:

Rosina obviously wins this episode. One scene, three lines, and she proves she's got more gumption than the whole town.  She's a girl out of her time.

I agree.

I liked both Dwight and the Prime Minister pointing out some very realistic facts to Ross.  It was good advice.  I'm still baffled as to why Ross keeps expecting people to be nice and do what he wants just because he wants them to.

• Love 3
7 hours ago, Zella said:

The thing that kills me with the most with Drake is that he just basically gives up on life because he can't have the girl he wants. We all don't get what we want at some point in life, and a big part of being a functional adult is moving on with your life in those instances. Doesn't make it hurt any less, but that's just life. But he just basically wants to lie down and die instead. I have no respect for that. 

Seriously! Especially since for the times in which they are living, a man of Drake's class would scarcely be allowed to speak to a young woman of Morwenna's class (beyond "Yes Miss, No Miss"), let alone marry her! Maybe his sister's unusual good fortune in going from scullery maid to Lady of the Manor (an admittedly generous description of Nampara, I'll admit, but she does get to go to all the High Society parties now) has given Drake the wrong idea about his chances with Morwenna. Let it go, Drake. I hope he does leave town to start over somewhere else. He's certainly made a mess of things here.

• Love 3

Can we have a spin-off with Rosina?  She has gumption a-plenty, and I'm starting to regret Drake pushed her over for the Widow of Reverend Porky.

When I said I wanted Jeffrey Charles to have his own story line, I didn't mean this drink-party-gamble-STD bit.  Maybe Rosina can catch his eye and wrinkle George's nose?  (Although George's reaction to Elizabeth's pregnancy was, dare I say, charming.  Even though it may end poorly...)

That Monk Adderley character leaves a trail of slime wherever he goes, and he needs to haul off forthwith.  Next week's duel looks promising...  (Wonder what his actor is like IRL.  Could be another case of Ozzie.)

*double-checks everybody's names is correct as to avoid a blunder similar to last week.  Helps that this is done over day-after coffee, not night-of wine.*

• Love 7
20 hours ago, Zella said:

No argument Morvenna has had it rough but while I feel sorry for her I don't actually like her all that much.  She seems one of those people who is determined to be a victim and a sad sack.

I'm going to come sit at your table.  While they're not among my favorites I don't hate them on the page because you can see some of their inner life there and it's not just Morwenna Morwenna Morwenna all the time.  Onscreen they're just a chore.  Morwenna's marriage is indeed a terrible tragedy all around, but she's just so very blank here.  Maybe they're going for a shellshocked into despondency kind of portrayal, instead it mostly reads as big empty doe eyes and why are you making us sit through all of this sturm and drang for a match that seems likely to fade pretty quickly once the novelty of being together wore off if you were able to be together?  Drake just comes off as such a child who wants something with no idea how it would work if he actually got it.

14 hours ago, JudyObscure said:

Drake has always looked and acted about sixteen years old to me.  If only Hugh had lived, he and Drake could have formed the first  boy band together and traveled Cornwall singing sentimental love ballads to dreamy young maidens.

Love this.  They both seem more in love with the idea of being in love with their one "true loves" than anything else. 

• Love 6
11 hours ago, voiceover said:

Ugh.  They're turning Morwenna into a Bronte sister.

Yeah, I'm having a hard time keeping my sympathy for her. She's in a terrible position, but she's also not doing anything to help herself. Morwenna needs to have a chat with Rosina.

1 hour ago, JustDucky said:

When I said I wanted Jeffrey Charles to have his own story line, I didn't mean this drink-party-gamble-STD bit. 

I don't need to watch him sow his wild oats, Show.

• Love 7

My damn cable kept giving me fits and would buffer and freeze at the worst times.   This was a fun episode.  I enjoyed the Elizabeth/Ross conversations.  I was wondering why she felt the need to tell Ross that she was content.  I figured she was pregnant and was attempting to hide that fact just so she can fudge the due date or conception date.  No use going through such machinations with George.  He just wants to know two things,  is it Ross' child and approximately what season will the child be born?  No need to be precise,  "just say no, you're the father,  and sometime during Christmas".  Thankfully,  the show didn't feel the need to show the viewers any sexy George/Elizabeth times.  Ewww!  Its amazing Elizabeth even got pregnant,  as I don't remember those two ever even kissing. I would have been curious to see Elizabeth tell Ross that not only is she "mindful of Ross' plan so much that she's actually pregnant". Those two have an easy relationship and they seem entirely comfortable with each other;  Elizabeth seems like a totally different woman when she's around Ross.  She's actually warm and honest and I like the two of them together.  Liked the fake drama of the two carriages crossing paths in the driveway.  Well done,  Heida Reed,  your expression suitably displayed the potential disaster. Also, liked the climactic "Ross meets Valentine" moment and liked that both Elizabeth and Ross felt the importance of the meeting and shared a mutual, "that's our boy" proud parents vibe.

Mother Whitworth,  please fall and die........soon,  please.  Now I understand Morwenna's current malaise,  the odious one left his "Killjoys" behind in his assault,  reminding her of his  repulsiveness forever.   Blecch! Can someone help me out here,  ever since they've introduced Morwenna as a character,  I've struggled with a word to describe Morwenna's eyes.  She has distinctive eyes, but they have this look that begs description and I'm at a loss as to how to describe them.  They're not "bedroom eyes" or "sleepy eyes". So what then?

What the fuck is wrong with Tholly?  I thought he and Ross were friends? Why is Tholly hanging around with the asswipe's brother "Cudgel-lite" and why does the brother have such a grudge against Drake?  Drake,  leave Morwenna alone and try again with Rosina, she seems amenable to another try.

Demelza's Pascoe plan was hilariously performed and Sam can't remember lines,  however,  wasn't his deception against his religion or is his religion one of convenience.

Hallelujah,  Ross asked Demelza what she would do.  He's finally getting this whole "Partner" thing.

Good episode.

Funny recap:

'Poldark' Season 4 Episode 6 Recap: Mo Money Mo Problems

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 4
21 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

So is this new bank replacing the one that went under? I'm a bit unclear about what's going on here. 

It absorbs all the debts and holdings of Pascoe's smaller bank.  That's what Ross was fighting so hard to get all the men with money on board for.  It saves his friend from the humiliation of living out his later years working for wages as a bank teller after having once been an owner and the larger newly formed bank puts a serious check on the Warleggans having a near monopoly on banking and money lending in the region.  Bonus that Ross now gets to be a named bank partner despite not actually investing any money in it in yet another round of Ross Falls Ass Backwards into Good Fortune, further earning George's eternal ire.  I did love Dwight giving George serious side eye when he was bloviating on about everything Ross was missing out on when he was actively plotting to take the old bank down.  By this point, all of these people must be hearing villain theme music in their heads when the see George coming or he's being so obviously passive aggressive in Ross's general direction, just as they must be doing a lot of bracing and eyerolling every time Ross decides to get his back up as you can't take him anywhere without him causing a scene.  Yet this time the scene he caused worked out at eating at the right peoples' consciences. 

Am I supposed to be enjoying the newfound contently easy relationship between Elizabeth and Ross?  Because I kind of am.  I like that Elizabeth fully has George's number, can acknowledge it for what it is to Ross, and just be okay with that and knowing that the ship with Ross has permanently sailed.  Ross meeting Valentine was a quietly lovely little moment and you could feel Elizabeth's pride in it too despite everything that got them there.  It's sadly amusing that George isn't wrong to have his suspicions in their direction yet it's played as if he's just completely ridiculous and unreasonable for having those suspicions.  At the same time Elizabeth comes off as pretty justified in wanting to throw him off those suspicions to prevent any further bad blood between them or between Ross and George.

I did love Caroline's small snort at Geoffrey Charles innocently wishing Ross could have been his stepfather after Ross was laying him out for being a wastrel on stepfather George's dime.  The actor playing Nat Pearce must have thought he had the easiest bit part in the world this season.  His entire role consisted of laying in a bed and then in a box.

• Love 6
1 hour ago, Jacks-Son said:

Liked the fake drama of the two carriages crossing paths in the driveway.

White horses for Ross, black ones for George.  To match their subtle hats?

• Love 2
4 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Yeah, I'm having a hard time keeping my sympathy for her. She's in a terrible position, but she's also not doing anything to help herself. Morwenna needs to have a chat with Rosina.

I don't need to watch him sow his wild oats, Show.

I'd give Morwenna a break.  She is pregnant with a child she doesn't want and cannot love, which has trapped her all the more.  She is also suffering from a bad case of PTSD from marital rape.;  You don't shake that off quickly- it would be unrealistic for her to do so.  She is also in shock from her husband's (despised as he was) murder, and the relief she feels must bring feelings of guilt as well. And then there is the social pressure of being involved with someone like Drake and knowing she might be cast off from her family. Why anyone thinks she can shake it off and move on in a matter of weeks is beyond me.

• Love 21

Thanks for the bank explanation, @nodorothyparker. I understood only bits and pieces of what was going on. I wonder if the right people finally realized that once the Warleggans have the poors under their control, the rich are next. If someone doesn't stand up for you, why would you stand up for them?

2 hours ago, Jacks-Son said:

Liked the fake drama of the two carriages crossing paths in the driveway.

Would it have been so terrible if George learned Ross accompanied his nephew home? I guess any mention of Ross will set George off, regardless of the context.

• Love 4
2 hours ago, Driad said:

White horses for Ross, black ones for George.  To match their subtle hats?

Good eye.   I didn't notice that.   I did notice that Elizabeth needs to stop asking George about taking actions against Ross and then lying that her concern is only for George.  Stop asking and stop bringing it up,  you're not fooling anyone.

Caroline,  you enjoy Ross' company,  but he has more important things to do than provide a distraction from your boredom.  Stop hogging him and complaining when he has shit to do.

Please show,  no suicide for Morwenna,  the odious one is not worth it,  plus more importantly,  you have a child and are pregnant again.

Did anyone seem puzzled by Caroline's minimal contribution to the conversation she was having with Demelza by the docks?  Caroline was mostly silent when she could have been more forceful in talking up Ross' London behavior which involved helping both GC and her.  Why the silence.?

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3
43 minutes ago, jehan said:

I'd give Morwenna a break.  She is pregnant with a child she doesn't want and cannot love, which has trapped her all the more.  She is also suffering from a bad case of PTSD from marital rape.;  You don't shake that off quickly- it would be unrealistic for her to do so.  She is also in shock from her husband's (despised as he was) murder, and the relief she feels must bring feelings of guilt as well. And then there is the social pressure of being involved with someone like Drake and knowing she might be cast off from her family. Why anyone thinks she can shake it off and move on in a matter of weeks is beyond me.

Thank you for this.  I really feel for Morwenna.  Women at that time had it HARD.  Women couldn't own land or anything.  If a woman owned any property or money, if she married, the husband got everything.  Morwanna was married to a rapist pig, but everybody looked the other way since he was considered gentry.  I don't expect her to move on at all.

• Love 12
5 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

Thanks for the bank explanation, @nodorothyparker. I understood only bits and pieces of what was going on. I wonder if the right people finally realized that once the Warleggans have the poors under their control, the rich are next. If someone doesn't stand up for you, why would you stand up for them?

Ross made that point to Lord Bassett, that by letting the Warleggan bank grow unchecked it would be that much more unlikely for smaller men to ever stand up to them with the implication that the Warleggans would likely only aim higher as they got even richer and more powerful.  Bassett as one of the majority shareholders of a competing bank that was originally offering to take on Pascoe's debts and assets but not incorporate with Pascoe himself seemed to be chewing on that idea even before Ross made his big scene that shamed/goaded them all into agreeing to merge to form their larger new Cornish Bank.

• Love 5

OT Quickie: I was listening to the Poldark Fancast (Podcast about Poldark 2015) and the hosts remarked that the British airing of episodes were a bit more detailed than the current Masterpiece broadcasts on PBS.  Anyone know where I can watch the British broadcast or at least what channel broadcasts it?

• Love 1

I think the episodes on Amazon are the originals. I haven't watched it there yet this season, but they have a longer runtime. Maybe someone else who has watched on there recently can chime in. The DVDs should also have the British originals. 

• Love 1

@Zella, thanks. I'll check on Amazon.  Supposedly, there are quite a few scenes left on the cutting room floor.  Hopefully, none of them showing Whitworth, who belongs on the cutting room floor along with Tom Jr.

The Amazon airings do seem to have a longer run time.  I've purchased the season pass and I will let you know what got dropped, if you're interested.

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3
1 minute ago, Jacks-Son said:

@Zella, thanks. I'll check on Amazon.  Supposedly, there are quite a few scenes left on the cutting room floor.  Hopefully, none of them showing Whitworth, who belongs on the cutting room floor along with Tom Jr.

I used to watch it on both Amazon and on the DVDs, depending on whichever one I could access, after watching it on PBS. I remember seeing quite a few deleted scenes per episode on at least one of them and thinking things made a lot more sense. 

I actually kind of enjoyed Whitworth (except for the scenes when he was attacking Morwenna). I tend to find the baddies more entertaining. He was so awful it was kind of glorious. One of my favorite scenes this season is when he is updating George at that social event about Ross running for office. His cheerfully ruining George's world as just a matter of idle social chitchat made me laugh. 

• Love 5
2 minutes ago, Zella said:

One of my favorite scenes this season is when he is updating George at that social event about Ross running for office. His cheerfully ruining George's world as just a matter of idle social chitchat made me laugh. 

Do you mean the oblivious gossip drop about a "Poldark in Parliament" at the Warleggan dinner table?  I loved that.  Whitworth leaves disasters in his considerable wake and seems to not even notice, unless he does that intentionally.  In that case, Bully for him when it comes to George.

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Jacks-Son said:

Do you mean the oblivious gossip drop about a "Poldark in Parliament" at the Warleggan dinner table?  I loved that.  Whitworth leaves disasters in his considerable wake and seems to not even notice, unless he does that intentionally.  In that case, Bully for him when it comes to George.

YES! I laughed so hard during that conversation. 

• Love 1

I absolutely adored this episode! The plot advanced so much and every character had something to do! I especially enjoyed the choreography of the infirmary scene with the focus shifting rapidly between the different character interactions to tell the story.

I loved where Ross and Demelza were as well. That's what I want to see - an established couple and the community they are supporting all around them. I'm glad Caroline was able to go back to Dwight and I hope she feels brave enough to risk another child. If she had decided to be estranged from him forever due to feeling she'd failed him and herself and especially Sarah by not being able to provide her child with strength and viability that would have been understandable. But, they made such a loving family. I hope they try again! 

I also felt for Morwenna and less so for Drake. I can see where he couldn't just move on and find happiness elsewhere knowing how much Morwenna has suffered after sacrificing herself to keep him out of prison. If only he could sweep her away from all of her miseries, but they are both so constrained by the world they live in. And poor Morwenna, betrayed by everyone in her life. I think it's to be expected that a gently reared lady, protected and sheltered all her life, would be irrevocably scarred not only by the unexpected reality of her husband's abusive demands but also by the complicity of everyone around her who knew about what she didn't. Dwight is the second person she's tried to open up to - describing her experiences as being violated - I wonder if those attempts to be heard will get her committed. 

Ross meeting Valentine was so sweet and so wrong. He never should have been risking Elizabeth's well being by being anywhere near Trenwith, but Valentine is so like him and having to grow up without a biological father who would understand him is so sad. Damn Ross for putting Elizabeth in that impossible position in the first place. It's created so much anxiety for her in her attempts to protect herself, her sons, and the people of Trenwith as much as she's able. It also casts a shadow over her newest child, especially if she's going to try for another eight month baby.

Looking forward to next week's episode - hope it's paced like this one!

The Amazon airings do seem to have a longer run time.  I've purchased the season pass and I will let you know what got dropped, if you're interested.

Please do! Anything not plot related risks being cut, no matter how good. Some of my absolute favorite scenes have been deleted ones :(

• Love 3
17 minutes ago, Hyla said:

Please do! Anything not plot related risks being cut, no matter how good. Some of my absolute favorite scenes have been deleted ones :(

I'll try to post a short note of dropped scenes for the episodes.  Not too detailed, sorry, 'funny, I go on ad nauseam about the episodes during a normal post but when it comes to a recap of dropped scenes, I choose to be less loquacious. :-) FYI, I've taken a shine to a Poldark podcast called Poldark Fancast (I have nothing to do with the podcast) hosted by three ladies (A British lady, a French lady, and an American lady, all Poldark fans) who critique the episodes and discuss scenes dropped onto the cutting room floor. That's how I learned of the alternative British airing.

• Love 2

Watching the Amazon airing of S4, E6 and this is the 1st scene I don't remember seeing in the Masterpiece airing of the episode.

After the scene when Dwight pays a visit to the Whitworth home and speaks with that nasty woman, Ossie’s mother, and discusses Morwenna’s condition, the scene shifts to the stone beach with Sam walking towards Rosina.

Sam: “God go with ee maid”

Rosina: “ And thee, Sir”

Sam: “Rosina? What passed twix thee and my brother, I believe he did wrong. A promise is a promise and should not be broke on a whim.

Rosina: “’Twas not a whim Sam.  For he loved she afore he ever saw me, and when she was wedded, he felt he must go to her, so…I respect him. I don’t respect her. She’s free now, yet she’ve turned him away.  If she truly loved him, why did she so?

Sam: “That, I cannot answer. And perhaps I have no right to speak to thee of Drake at all, but if you’ll allow me…. 

That’s the end of their on-screen conversation, but from the looks of both at this point, Rosina seems willing to listen to what Sam has to say about Drake and his situation and Sam seems willing to bring her in the loop.

This kind of explains why Sam was so confident that Rosina would not rule out a reconciliation and why she kept checking Drake out at the gathering. 

Edited by Jacks-Son
  • Love 3

Sam: “God go with ee maid”

Rosina: “ And thee, Sir”

Sam: “Rosina? What passed twix thee and my brother, I believe he did wrong. A promise is a promise and should not be broke on a whim.

Rosina: “’Twas not a whim Sam.  For he loved she afore he ever saw me, and when she was wedded, he felt he must go to her, so…I respect him. I don’t respect her. She’s free now, yet she’ve turned him away.  If she truly loved him, why did she so?

Sam: “That, I cannot answer. And perhaps I have no right to speak to thee of Drake at all, but if you’ll allow me…. 

That’s the end of their on-screen conversation, but from the looks of both at this point, Rosina seems willing to listen to what Sam has to say about Drake and his situation and Sam seems willing to bring her in the loop.

Thanks for that :) If I ever watch the episodes through again it will have to be the British version through Amazon then. Character moments make the show for me especially when they are irrelevant to plot.

• Love 3

To me she is just wallowing.  

I don't expect her to "shake it off" but I do expect her to stop indulging herself in abject misery and make some a small attempt in some small manner to improve her own life in some small way.  

At this point she is enjoying being wretched just a bit too much and dancing on the edge of martyrdom.  Rosina has a spine so presumably other females in this era have them, too. Fight, girl. Show a bit of moxy.   Something.

I do hope something happens soon that provides George some humanity otherwise he will forever remain a one dimensional cartoon. 

SO happy that Caroline and Dwight found themselves again- by far my favorite pairing and couple.

• Love 4

Morwenna did attempt to talk to Elizabeth and George, and then Dwight, but they didn't want to hear the horrible details.  It's bad enough that Morwenna's own family forced her into that awful marriage then to add insult to injury they pretend to want to offer Morwenna comfort and sympathy.  However, it's just shallow meaningless words.  They haven't done anything to help Morwenna, and she's still in a terrible situation, now with her mother-in-law, which could be helped by a MALE relative.

• Love 4

If I recall correctly, it was Elizabeth, after hearing Morwenna's pleas of his "ungentlemanly" behavior and hearing Ozzie's mewling excuses, who demanded that he had better see to it that Morwenna's medical concerns and complaints be addressed by Dwight and addressed promptly otherwise......  I remember this because I applauded her stance at the time.

You can forget George listening to anyone not named Elizabeth or Uncle Asshole "Cary" Warleggan, much less try to help.  Dwight subsequently listened to her pleas and had a row with the Reverend over his demands that she fulfill her marital duties (an ugly phrase) and told him to back off and give her time and perhaps be a bit more gentle (LOL, think 400 pound man typing on a 105 lb keyboard and try to picture gentle). Dwight, just tell him to imagine Morwenna as one BIG foot.

Otherwise, correct, no one did anything to effectively, or even partially help Morwenna.  This is, of course, the writer's perspective of the differences between the two worlds of "Poldark" - Poldark vs Warleggan.  Nouveau Riche Warleggans are not usually concerned with the affairs of others outside of the family, they are the robber barons of the age; Poldarks (We, the People) consider themselves part of a much larger family, Cornwall. Poldark's are the Patriarchal head of that family. Poldarks would go to an enemy's house to nurture an ill neighbor, at the cost of their own family member. Warleggans use family members as chattel to be bargained with in order to advance their social standing. If Morwenna had been with the Poldarks none of this would have happened.  Of course, George as usual, contrived that damn bible plot along with The Thug and put an end to any potential happiness and began the descent of Morwenna Whitworth, née Chynoweth

• Love 5

In all fairness, there isn't a whole lot that anyone could have done on the Morwenna front.  She couldn't divorce him, doesn't have rights to her own child, and could fairly easily have been put away into the whole new horror that was 18th-century mental asylums if Ossie could have gotten a doctor to sign off on it to preserve any tender sensibilities among the gentry or churchgoers who might have questioned it.

The only male "relative" she has of any influence who might have been able to strongarm Ossie into treating her better is George, and we know that was never going to happen.  As much as Ossie clearly annoyed the fuck out of George, he was still a connection he had sought out for his own benefit and wouldn't have thrown that away for something as inconsequential to him as the unhappiness of his wife's poor relation cousin.  Probably not even had she been screaming it across the dinner table at him.  The fact that Ossie could blow so freely to anyone who would listen about Morwenna denying him his "marital rights" is a pretty good indication that he knew he could count on the sympathies of his listeners, and aside from Dwight, he really didn't get any pushback or hint that maybe just maybe his poor treatment of Morwenna might have anything to do with it.  After all as pretty much everyone on the canvas had agreed, Ossie was a good marital match for her and she should be grateful for it.

I think my issue isn't with Morwenna's story or her as a character as much as how utterly big-eyed passive the portrayal is coming across.  It's reminiscent of earlier seasons Elizabeth in that while I get the story that's being told, it's not terribly interesting to watch.

• Love 8

Early in Morwenna and Ossie's marriage I suggested that she make sure his meals contain lots of delicious but bad-for-you ingredients: butter, meat, salt, whatever was known at the time. That would at least have been a less passive approach.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, nodorothyparker said:

I think my issue isn't with Morwenna's story or her as a character as much as how utterly big-eyed passive the portrayal is coming across.  It's reminiscent of earlier seasons Elizabeth in that while I get the story that's being told, it's not terribly interesting to watch.

Same here. It's not interesting to watch someone be a passive victim. I understand the societal/legal limitations of the time, but that doesn't mean I want to watch Morwenna sit around and mope all day. That's completley boring.

• Love 4

I can't believe Jeffrey Charles is really a teenager already.  The show makes it seems like he's around 15 or so, and Julia would've been around the same age.  This just doesn't seem accurate, especially because the other Poldark children still seem so tiny.   Has it really been 15ish years since Demelza and Ross got together?  

7 hours ago, Driad said:

Early in Morwenna and Ossie's marriage I suggested that she make sure his meals contain lots of delicious but bad-for-you ingredients: butter, meat, salt, whatever was known at the time. That would at least have been a less passive approach.

Perhaps saltpeter (Potassium Nitrate) could be used VERY liberally.  In combination with the above food sources.  Ossie, clearly doesn't care what he puts in his mouth! Well,  no longer I'm mean because HE'S DEAD ???? "?We could be dancing,  yeah. "

• Love 2
18 minutes ago, WhatsUpDummy said:

I can't believe Jeffrey Charles is really a teenager already.  The show makes it seems like he's around 15 or so, and Julia would've been around the same age.  This just doesn't seem accurate, especially because the other Poldark children still seem so tiny.   Has it really been 15ish years since Demelza and Ross got together?  

Yes.   It's 1799 now.  Geoffrey Charles was born in 1784, so he's 15.  Julia was born  in 1788, Jeremy in 1791, and Clowance in 1794.  So the younger kids may be played a bit young- they would be 7-8 and 4-5, depending on their birthdays.

• Love 2

Yeah, I think my biggest problem with the Morwenna story is the actress. There are some actresses (and actors) who can be devastatingly affecting and effective in their depictions of trauma and despair, especially during such a restrictive time period. They don't need words or anything more than body language and facial expressions to sell their pain. I just don't think the actress playing Morwenna is that talented. She was bland before her character was traumatized, and she is bland now. Ditto for Drake. 

• Love 8
3 minutes ago, Jacks-Son said:

Oh man, don't get me started on Drake.  He's bordering on "sheepish"!  I think that's primarily the reason the NEW Tom, (read: New Coke) picks on his sorry ass.

He's so drippy.