Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E28: Forgot About Dre

druzy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

Oh lawd!  A drink controversy?  That’s the least of Jace’s troubles.  But maybe I’m just too lax with that stuff.  We go out (hardly ever) and my kid wants a soda?  He knows sprite or root beer.  Most the time he opts for chocolate milk anyway.  On Fridays he knows he is getting soda at home, on point.  Again, sprite or root beer.  I have offered him multiple times out to eat a Shirley Temple or Roy Rogers.  And a virgin daquiri?  Ok it’s a slush puppy in a fancy glass.  Again, acceptable (as a treat,  IMO). By then again I’m the mom who says hey wanna a ice cream?  Let’s go up to Sonic quick!  On any random day.  My kid is ADHD, ODD, EDD, and PTSD.  Drink choices are not gonna change that one bit. ??‍♀️

***kid diagnoses was before he came into my home.  I did not create his traumas.  In my defense.

Edited by geauxaway
  • Love 18

I can't wait until Aubree hits her teen years so she can respond "I really don't give a shit" when Chelsea asks "Aren't you soooooo EXCITED!!!!!". 

I also know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I thought Jenelle's dinner with Jace was nice. The daquiri/coke thing didn't bother me either. Aubree's eating celebratory cakes and cupcakes on practically every episode, so it's not like Jace is an outlier when it comes to excessive sugar consumption. 

The more I see of Javi, the more I'm Team Briana. When he tells her he has someone else ready to move to Delaware on next week's preview, I was like really? So you're hooking up with three women simultaneously yet somehow Briana is the crazy one for not uprooting her life to cater to your neediness? Bye, Javi. 

I know Colin can't help his mental illness, but yowza. When he talked about burying rats in the backyard I felt the need to bust out the butterfly net. Hopefully he's in a better place now.

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, BitterApple said:

I can't wait until Aubree hits her teen years so she can respond "I really don't give a shit" when Chelsea asks "Aren't you soooooo EXCITED!!!!!". 

I also know I'm probably in the minority on this, but I thought Jenelle's dinner with Jace was nice. The daquiri/coke thing didn't bother me either. Aubree's eating celebratory cakes and cupcakes on practically every episode, so it's not like Jace is an outlier when it comes to excessive sugar consumption. 

The more I see of Javi, the more I'm Team Briana. When he tells her he has someone else ready to move to Delaware on next week's preview, I was like really? So you're hooking up with three women simultaneously yet somehow Briana is the crazy one for not uprooting her life to cater to your neediness? Bye, Javi. 

I know Colin can't help his mental illness, but yowza. When he talked about burying rats in the backyard I felt the need to bust out the butterfly net. Hopefully he's in a better place now.

Yes to all of this!

Aubree eats shit in the reg but no one comments.

Javi is a needy and pathetic excuse for a human. 

I was feeling shades of Jeffrey Dahmer when Colin was talking about burying dead rats.  Not that he's a cannibal, it was just a creepy story. 

• Love 10
1 minute ago, mscav said:

Now let's be fair.  I'm sure he's there because Roxanne axed him to help with kids.  By that I mean he woke up with Roxanne standing over him with an axe and told him if he didn't watch the kids then she was going to axe him into a million pieces. :)

Yeah, but she axed about bofe of them?

• Love 17

Why do Kail and her fucktard cohost need to get their makeup done for a fucking podcast? And no wonder Kail has gained weight,  with drinking huge ass cups of iced coffee 20 times a day. Her face looks fat as hell.  And I am not fat shaming her because I am a big girl myself, but holy fuck balls.

And JC, Brianna maybe you need to go work out and stop eating like a pig instead of getting plastic surgery because you're a lazy asshole and Yes I still kiss my mom on the mouth but not like Roxanne did. WTF was that? Looked like a kiss from a lover. Gross.

• Love 15
5 hours ago, MrsSlinky said:

I thought the Jenelle stuff irritated me, but watching Kail do that to Leah was garbage. And Leah's face said it all, like "Bitch, I told you that in private". I would have been livid if I was her, and I would have probably let her know as soon as the podcast was over (but I am really bad about filtering myself at times). Leah seems like the type who might just take it, because she doesn't want to be confrontational. It seriously made my blood boil to see that.

Also Javi is messy and I can't believe he showed up there.

Aubree is adorable and I always love Chelsea's segments. 

Well, to be fair, nothing they say is "in private" when they have every conversation on TV. 

• Love 4

I think a child with ADHD shouldn’t have all that sugar.  There’s a ton of sugar in a frozen drink and then add a soda on top of that, it’s too much.  When my kids were younger they would not be allowed to order a steak.  They would order a kids meal or sometimes my two oldest would share a dinner.  Everyone is different but in my eyes it’s excessive.  We went on vacation with a couple for a week whose kids are the same age as mine, her family all ordered steak, mine ordered reasonably priced items.  They only went out to dinner twice in that week, we were able to eat out every night.

• Love 4
19 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Maybe I'm just not up on current styles, but I thought that haircut he got was awful.

It did register somewhere between Hitler Youth and 1950s milkman, but hey, it's the thought that counts? 8-year-olds aren't up on hair trends luckily lol. He obviously wanted to make it a big event which was cute and I melted when he called her "his sweetie."

• Love 18
6 hours ago, Bridget said:

She also can't even pronounce the word "association" either, which made her look like even more of a moron, which I didn't think was possible. "Aschociation" is what I heard come out of her mouth.  I'd never mock anyone with speech issues, but it's Jenelle, so everything is fair game.

I caught that too. Personal pet peeve. However, i realized I'm in the minority because I mentioned this pronunciation in another TV show forum. It's a show in which the host repeats the word "association" multiple times. He says "a-sho-shi-ation." It grates my nerves. I vented about it, but other posters did not agree with me and actually said its a valid pronunciation. 

oh, well. I continue to be irritated, valid or not!

1 hour ago, BitterApple said:

I thought so, too. It was a sweet (pun intended) mom-son outing.

I wasn't bothered by the coke. My kids drink it all the time.

26 minutes ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

Maybe I'm just not up on current styles, but I thought that haircut he got was awful.

I thought the fade transition was not very smooth. I could clearly see the mid-fade line, plain as day.

• Love 5

Why does it seem like Roxanne is the one doing all of the negotiating about what kind of time Devoin spends with Nova. First we get the voiceover from Briana saying she was out and found out that Devoin was at the apartment spending time with Nova. Then she gets home and Roxanne informs Briana that they have decided that Devoin will stay there at their apartment while Briana is away having her surgery and Briana basically shrugs and agrees. Briana and Devoin are Nova's parents. THEY should be the ones working out who is taking care of her when. Also, it seemed inappropriate to me that Devoin would be sleeping in Briana's bed while she is out of town. These witches have no idea how to have any kind of relationship with men. It is either all or nothing all the time. 

• Love 12
48 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

I agree. I would never defend Jenelle but the "oh my god, I would NEVER" responses surprise me. I watched the episode but fast forwarded her scenes so I didn't see this particular one.  As long as she didn't pour any Jack in his coke, I don't see a problem. My kids are 34 and 32 and they had sodas growing up.  Not every day but I'm addicted to Dr. Pepper so we always had sodas around and on occasion I'd let them have one. They also always had sodas when we went out,  but like yours, more often than not they'd pick milk or chocolate milk.  Neither of my kids have rotting teeth or any other health problems from drinking some soda when they were growing up. 

I also want to clarify that I didn't ever put soda in their bottles and they didn't have any soda at all during their toddler years. 

There are, unfortunately many reasons to worry and have concerns for Jace but in my opinion, drinking soda isn't one of them.  Where did the idea that soda is horrible for kids with ADHD come from? From what I'm reading, that isn't true at all. Granted I don't know much about it but in my quick search I didn't see that this is true. 

I also don't think Chelsea asking if Aubree is excited to be a bad thing. I think it's kind of reaching to be honest. My grandkids are 6 and 10 and I ask them that all the time. When I call to invite them to come spend the night, I ask if they're excited, or if we take them somewhere or make cookies together or what have you. What's wrong with asking that?  And I really, seriously doubt if Chelsea will still be asking her that when she's a teenager. 

Ha!  My kiddo loves to take a drink out of my daily 32 oz diet Dr Pepper from Sonic!  He knows he can’t “have it,” he’s like mom can I have a drink of it?  Sure!  He thinks it’s like he won the kid lottery. He’s gonna act cray regardless so why not?!  No one ever died from a soda drink, as far as I know.  And it’s not like a daily thing.  Kid loves his milk and water.  Weekend?  Different story but who cares!

• Love 7
(edited)
36 minutes ago, Blissfool said:

I caught that too. Personal pet peeve. However, i realized I'm in the minority because I mentioned this pronunciation in another TV show forum. It's a show in which the host repeats the word "association" multiple times. He says "a-sho-shi-ation." It grates my nerves. I vented about it, but other posters did not agree with me and actually said its a valid pronunciation. 

oh, well. I continue to be irritated, valid or not!

I thought so, too. It was a sweet (pun intended) mom-son outing.

I wasn't bothered by the coke. My kids drink it all the time.

I thought the fade transition was not very smooth. I could clearly see the mid-fade line, plain as day.

Regarding the bold: That one doesn't bother me as much as hypMotize and when people on animal/veterinarian shows say  "vetINarian" without pronouncing the first R.  It makes me cringe. 

Edited by Maharincess
  • Love 3
11 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

Regarding the bold: That one doesn't bother me as much as hypMotize and when people on animal/veterinarian shows say  "vetINarian" without pronouncing the first R.  It makes me cringe. 

Like real-a-tor. 

Sim-u-lar

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Maharincess said:

, unfortunately many reasons to worry and have concerns for Jace but in my opinion, drinking soda isn't one of them.  Where did the idea that soda is horrible for kids with ADHD come from? From what I'm reading, that isn't true at all. Granted I don't know much about it but in my quick search I didn't see that this is true. 

Caffeine, like most stimulants, can help increase focus and concentration in ADHD people. People with normal dopamine levels in the brain experience jitteriness and hyperactivity when they take stimulants, but people with low levels of dopamine (like ADHD people) experience a different effect, because the stimulants tend to increase dopamine levels to what's considered normal. It's not uncommon to find ADHD adults self-medicating with caffeine. And while excessive sugar isn't good for kids, it doesn't make them any more hyper than normal (https://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJM199402033300501#t=articleResults). 

• Love 17

Kail is such an asshole. Just the night before Leah tells her about her and Jeremy Hooking up thinking she is talking to a FRIEND! First thing kail does is blast her on her podcast by asking Leah point blank if they hooked up already knowing the answer. If I were Leah I would’ve said “yea just like you had sex with javi while he was dating bubble brain bubble butt briana you freaking loser!”

This is kail.. oh yea, let me call you out on my podcast, betray your trust but come to Hawaii with me!! Oh man I haven’t had a vacation since little soapy was born! He’s gonna be one this summer! It’s fucking March! So yea he’s SIX MONTHS OLD!! Poor poor kail! Hadn’t vacationed without her kids in SIX LONG MONTHS! Wow! How did she manage?! But wait!!! She had 15 “work” trips in between so she was def away without her kids! Such a loser. 

Jenelle, so distant from Jace it’s hard to watch. The NRA nonsense was all David speak. Im also afraid for those kids! I can’t see David putting those Guns away in a locker gun case every night! Poor kaiser! I’m so afraid for him! The way he’s growing up he will be one of those kids to “show off” David’s gun an accidentally kill him self or someone else! Save kaiser for real! 

Multi tasking mom!!! Shaking a baby bottle and feeding her is soooooooo hardddddd! 

• Love 10
11 hours ago, Mkay said:

The gun chasing, kidnapping, Jenelle following a guy home while showing her gun is true.  The Ashley wrote about it, the go pros were in the car, and radar online has the police reports.  

I know Jenelle following a man home because he had the nerve to pass her when she was driving like an asshole is true, it just sounded like they showed the footage this episode. Since no one was talking about it here, I figured the airing of the video wasn't true, breaking my cold little heart.

My nephew has ADD and suffered during school. If a bird flew by the window he turned to look at it, then a girl turns her head and her ponytail swishes and he turns to her. He started on meds and said he never realized the world didn't move at warp speed. He would take one pill in the morning before leaving for the bus and another at lunch. It completely wrecked his appetite and he couldn't force himself to eat. So, when he got home and the meds were wearing off, he began to get whiny and ready to burst into tears at any moment, would eat everything he could get his hands on, and then turned into the Tasmanian Devil. After speaking to his doctor or therapist, I don't remember which one, it was suggested he have a cup of strong coffee with dinner to help smooth the transition.  My sister bought some flavored creamers since he didn't like the coffee, and he said it actually helped him not feel so awful. He was probably around 8 or 9 at the time. I was going to post the same information as @Wicked Biscuit about how stimulants act differently with ADD. 

The conversation about Jace's drinks at dinner reminds me of the scene where Jenelle was telling Barb that Jace was acting wild after he drank a lot of Coke, and Barb said that she told her to "hide the Coke from Jace."  We gave Jenelle the benefit of the doubt that she was referring to cola and not what has been rumored to be UBT's drug of choice. Actually, I think that was back when she was with Nathan and he was in jail so Barb was allowed to visit with Kaiser. Still though, the word "coke" in a sentence with Jenelle hardly leads to the first thought being soda.

• Love 8

I realize that there are WAY bigger issues with this episode in terms of damage done to the kids, but couldn’t Jenelle have switched seats with Jace so that he could actually see the boats from his seat at the restaurant without having to turn around? 

Of course she chose the seat with the better view. 

• Love 19
3 hours ago, zenme said:

Yeah, but she axed about bofe of them?

Devoid did axe about the daily routine though and thank God that Aunt Brittany the actual care giver was there to make sure that Devoid knew about brushing teef before bed. I loved that part!

(I've never seen Briana do HW with Nova or read a book to her. Just sayin'.)

Jesus, Mary and Joseph! Simply looking at the food in that house makes me feel like I gain 5lbs each episode. There were pizza boxes on the table in the first scene and when Devoid was axing about the schedule, I spotted KFC packaging. 

Consistent and daily meals that are severely lacking in nutrition, along with learned shitty eating habits at home really ruffles my feathers. Pizza every Friday night isn't a big deal if the household eats decently during the rest of the week, but when every meal is from a fast food place or delivered, that's when the developing brain cells start to suffer. It explains so much about Briana when I stop and think about it.

The impact of a student's regular diet is huge on so many levels, especially as it correlates to their academic life. From pre-school to grade 12, there is a certain amount of stamina required to do well in school. Nutrition plays a huge role when it comes to stamina. I know I don't teach Nova's age group, but I have friends that do. A student is a student is a student, no matter what grade they are in.

I see students struggle to stay awake every single day, no matter the time of day, no matter the class (art, science, office TA!) and no matter the day of the week.

They're tired from being on their damn phones until 3am, I know, but you should see the shit they shovel down their throats all day long. I don't allow eating or drinking in my classroom (water only, and not when the laptops are out), but I see way too many Venti sized frappucinos during 1st period. Lots of snacking all day long on family sized bags of chips and washed down with 2 liter bottles of soda. However, if you are in need of an afternoon sugar rush, there are always kids who will share, so that's a perk. It's almost like it's the day after Halloween all year long!

• Love 8
(edited)
22 hours ago, zenme said:

Yeah, I thought that scene with Barb and son were hilarious. She was trying to talk to him about how close Collin and his sister used to be, and Collin kept bringing up stuff that just made them look like a weird family. Barb kept looking at him like "What the fuck are you even talking about?"

This was so funny!!!  (your commentary)

I agree with @BitterApple that the lunch actually seemed nice.  Not perfect by any means because Jenelle but she actually seemed a little more relaxed. 

My son (9) has had pop at a restaurant and out at the movies for number of years, while camping, etc.....................

Hulk's podcast just seems like trash.  The 3 times we have seen it being taped she wanted to talk about her butthole, then she had Javi and Leah both on to gossip about Teen Mom. I imagine it is as scary and brainless sounding as the after show (I've still not watched a single one since I tried it that once).

I love Chelsea segments. They are nice.  Isn't it nice to just chill and watch people be happy every few minutes?  It's nice to know people like Cole exist. So sweet and not forcefully doing anything for attention (ahem...Javi)

I don't know who titled the episode but I appreciate it.  Because I think everyone who watches the show is older and would know the song.  

Edited by IDreamofJoaquin
  • Love 14
(edited)

There some gems in this episode:

Jenelle's crazy brother going all crazy train talking about burying rats in the backyard and cutting off all of Juhnelle's hair while Barb gives him a "DAMMIT COLIN, WE REHEARSED THIS SCENE 10 TIMES YESTERDAY!" look. 

Cole and Aubrey's adorable father daughter dance scenes.   I know he's got mixed reviews here but he was damn sexy to me in those scenes.  I see what Chelsea sees in him.  I hope she jumped his bones that night because dude deserved it.

Brittany telling Bri she's got body dysmorphia.  DING DING DING!  Who has three plastic surgeries by their mid-twenties?  Girl is gonna start looking like a freak show in about 10 years. 

THAT KISS.  You know what I'm talking about.  WTF was THAT????

Kail's hilarious assertion that she "hasn't gone on vacation since she was pregnant with Lux and he'll be one AT THE END OF THE SUMMER.   Um, they went to Hawaii March 12.  He was still 6 months away from turning one!  HAHAHA!  Nice try, Kail. 

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 24

Just chiming in as an adult who wasn’t diagnosed with ADHD until about 30: I definitely self-medicated with caffeine! I was obsessed with Dr Pepper since middle school, and even now, I take my meds with RockStar Recovery or Diet Dr Pepper. NO RAGRETS. Apparently it’s not that bad for ADHD kids and can even “lower explosiveness.”

The link between sugar and hyperactivity is tenuous at best, and red dye does not cause ADHD. Sugar is bad for teeth and it’s empty calories, but as others have said, an occasional treat is just not a big deal. Extreme restrictiveness tends to make kids seek out the “forbidden” stuff when they’re away from their parents, and they’re not going to be great at moderation. Jace is up against so many worse things in his little life, I just can’t bring myself to worry about two treat drinks at an occasional dinner. 

I actually enjoyed Jenelle and Jace’s outing. Under normal circumstances I’d be like, damn, that is one awkward relationship, but for them it was about the best we’ve seen. I wasn’t sure before, but there it seemed like Jenelle has genuine affection for Jace — maybe not the way a mom really should, but it’s something. It reinforces how terrible David is. If she could just stand to be single for a minute I honestly believe she could be a decent person. 

Given that the topic is a controversial one, I thought Jenelle’s explanation of the NRA was fairly tame and age-appropriate. The only part that lost me was when she said “the National Rifle Association,” Jace asked “what’s that?”, and she said “the NRA!” That does not answer the question! 

The way Briana’s mom kissed her was NOT okay. I know some families are on-the-lips kissers — definitely not my scene but whatever — but this went waaaaayyy beyond normal. The way the mom closed her eyes and leaned in was straight-up romantic, it lasted much longer than a family kiss, and Briana was trying to slide away like that poor cat with Pepe le Pew. It was totally inappropriate. Even if I were leaving my mom and knew I was going off to die for some reason, we would not make out. 

Leah’s fidgety mannerisms and talking over Kailyn drive me insane. The way she talks with that vocal fry/nasal congestion/Valley Girl cadence combo from Hell makes me suspicious of whether she’s truly clean and sober. If so, she picked up some bad vocal habits that never went away!

• Love 18

I know someone commented up thread about the podcast but I still don’t get it. It’s not filmed right?  I mean podcasts aren’t visual are they?  I know I’m old and not up to date on all the modern newfangled things but I always thought you LISTENED to podcasts. I don’t understand the make up artist and glam. I guess it could be on YouTube?  

The imagined self importance runs deep with those two. 

• Love 8
15 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Jace has way bigger problems. Given his environment, he'll be smoking and drinking by middle school. I won't be surprised if he goes to juvie and/or gets someone pregnant by 17 but it's not like he'll be sitting in prison therapy at 22 saying "it all started with that virgin daiquiri when I was 8..." lol

This. The saddest thing is I see no way out for Jace. He'll be in juvie before he's 12.

• Love 2
15 hours ago, BitterApple said:

1 hour ago, JocelynCavanaugh said:

I actually enjoyed Jenelle and Jace’s outing ... it seemed like Jenelle has genuine affection for Jace  It reinforces how terrible David is. If she could just stand to be single for a minute I honestly believe she could be a decent person. 

The only part that lost me was when she said “the National Rifle Association,” Jace asked “what’s that?”, and she said “the NRA!” That does not answer the question! 

I agree, I think this was the best we've seen of Jenelle in a long time, her and Jace were kind of cute ! :) I didn't find it awkward, at least for their standards. It definitely reinforces what a horrible influence David is in both of their lives. But no, she didn't answer the NRA question lol ! I can understand the controversy regarding the drinks she ordered for Jace, but I'm sure she was trying to treat him too, they seemed to be having a really good day. I wish she would spend a lot more one on one time with Jace and cut David from their lives. 

I'm embarrassed for Kail and her cringeworthy immature podcast, it sounds like 2 mean high school girls ganging up on anyone they can find for gossip. I think Leah is quite an anxious person and I felt bad for her and how she was treated. 

• Love 7
1 hour ago, Pixiebomb said:

I know someone commented up thread about the podcast but I still don’t get it. It’s not filmed right?  I mean podcasts aren’t visual are they?  I know I’m old and not up to date on all the modern newfangled things but I always thought you LISTENED to podcasts. I don’t understand the make up artist and glam. I guess it could be on YouTube?  

The imagined self importance runs deep with those two. 

I think they stream it live on facebook or something. But yeah, podcasts aren't typically filmed. 

• Love 3
(edited)
19 hours ago, StatisticalOutlier said:

I loved Shirley Temples (and somehow didn't develop a drinking problem).  But I tried one the other day, in a bottle, and it was wretched, despite my lingering child-sized sweet tooth.

I recently discovered adult shirley temples and ommggggggggg.  Get you some cherry vodka, cherry pucker, sprite and grenadine and you will be in shirley temple heaven (i suggest more pucker than vodka)

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 9
2 minutes ago, gunderda said:

I recently discovered adult shirley temples and ommggggggggg.  Get you some cherry vodka, cherry pucker, sprite and grenadine and you will be in shirley temple heavy (i suggest more pucker than vodka)

whaaaat? THESE ARE A THING?!?!?!?!!!

I need them now.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, guilfoyleatpp said:

whaaaat? THESE ARE A THING?!?!?!?!!!

I need them now.

Indeed they are.  I ordered one at an amusement park a few weeks ago and the next day I went out and bought all the ingredients.  Another tip - don't sub for 7up, much better with sprite. 

The official name is dirty shirley

• Love 4

Jace has Barb looking out for him - Poor little roll at least has Nathan and his mom - but little Endsley has no one but Janelle and David in her life.  Poor little thing.

• Love 11
(edited)
21 hours ago, kicksave said:

Right? Why is she ordering fake alcoholic drinks for a child? The chances of Jace having a substance abuse problem when he gets older is probably pretty high since his bio father and Jenelle are both former addicts....why order him beverages that are mock alcoholic drinks...whats wrong with milk or for fun chocolate milk or a milkshake? She is such redneck trailer trash.

I can't be the only one who regularly ordered virgin drinks at restaurants as a kid.  They're basically slushees.  That doesn't make you trailer trash.   Now, ordering a virgin (super sugary) drink PLUS a giant coke?  For an ADD kid?  That's just...Jenelle.   I bet he was going home to Babs that night, too.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 12
(edited)
22 hours ago, kicksave said:

Right? Why is she ordering fake alcoholic drinks for a child? The chances of Jace having a substance abuse problem when he gets older is probably pretty high since his bio father and Jenelle are both former addicts....why order him beverages that are mock alcoholic drinks...whats wrong with milk or for fun chocolate milk or a milkshake? She is such redneck trailer trash.

Addiction is a disease. It's not something someone learns by drinking mocktails.  It's partly genetics and coping skills.  A child with ADHD who has a parent with alcoholism is more likely to also develop an alcohol abuse problem. Researchers have pointed to common genes shared between ADHD and alcoholism.  I personally would be more concerned about giving him Ritalin but I don't think research has made a connection between Ritalin and addiction issues. I just know several people including my own brother who were treated with Ritalin and had addiction issues. 

Edited by usernameG
  • Love 4
22 hours ago, zenme said:

I was so cringing for Barbara during her exchange with Collin!

That's gonna be a one-and-done, filming with him. 

21 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

Really??  I wouldn't even entertain the idea!  I have given my 8 year old 1 sip of coke once.  We eat out a lot and I have never seen kids with pop.  My kids get water with lemon or a splash of lemonade in water for a special treat.  I would actually be ok with a virgin daquiri before a coke.  I guess I am in the minority with this.

I'm the same as you. My kids drink water, water, water. They get milk in the morning. We might indulge in some lemonade or fruit juice on special occasions. They have NEVER had soda. I don't drink it either. Cola, to me, is the worse. That thick dark syrup....I just picture it rotting my insides. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, lezlers said:

Now, ordering a virgin (super sugary) drink PLUS a giant coke?  For an ADD kid?  That's just...Jenelle.   I bet he was going home to Babs that night, too.

She probably didn't give him his meds either.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, ghoulina said:

That's gonna be a one-and-done, filming with him. 

I'm the same as you. My kids drink water, water, water. They get milk in the morning. We might indulge in some lemonade or fruit juice on special occasions. They have NEVER had soda. I don't drink it either. Cola, to me, is the worse. That thick dark syrup....I just picture it rotting my insides. 

Funny story: my sister is rabid with her 1 year old having zero sugar. He only drinks water in a sippy cup.   My  1 year old granddaughter can have juice, and was having a play date with her no sugar cousin. He found her sippy cup and finished her entire cup! Apparently, he likes organic apple juice.  I didn't tell my sister, but every time we get the kids together he tries to find granddaughter's cup. 

My kid's had non-caffeinated soda from time to time--like at the movies and places like that.  They also had candy and other sweets.  They're happy, college-educated, and law abiding citizens today. They vote... 

I agree. While I wouldn't have given him a Coke and a virgin daiquiri, I'd say THAT'S the least of the poor kid's problems.

• Love 10
17 hours ago, SnarkEnthusiast said:

Also, Colin was giving me serious Lenny from Of Mice and Men vibes.

YESSSSS. Nailed it. 

5 hours ago, lezlers said:

Brittany telling Bri she's got body dysmorphia.  DING DING DING!  Who has three plastic surgeries by their mid-twenties?  Girl is gonna start looking like a freak show in about 10 years. 

Brittany can be such a sour puss sometimes, but damned if she doesn't just open her mouth and spout some realness. Briana thinks she can just keep popping out babies, eat like garbage, then run to the plastic surgeon. 

4 hours ago, Pepper Mostly said:

This. The saddest thing is I see no way out for Jace. He'll be in juvie before he's 12.

I think that's progressing things a little drastically. I know Jace has issues, but Barb has got him on medication and got him in therapy. I think it's quite possible that he can avoid juvie in the next few years. 

• Love 13
43 minutes ago, ghoulina said:

Thank you!  I was beginning to think I was some kind of weirdo.  

• Love 3
1 hour ago, usernameG said:

Addiction is a disease. It's not something someone learns by drinking mocktails.  It's partly genetics and coping skills.  A child with ADHD who has a parent with alcoholism is more likely to also develop an alcohol abuse problem. Researchers have pointed to common genes shared between ADHD and alcoholism.  I personally would be more concerned about giving him Ritalin but I don't think research has made a connection between Ritalin and addiction issues. I just know several people including my own brother who were treated with Ritalin and had addiction issues. 

Of course mocktails aren’t the reason someone becomes an alcoholic...my point was that with that family history of substance abuse, it might be better to order a kid type of beverage for Jace instead of not one, but two sugary fake adult beverages. 

As for genetics and substance abuse, yes...there is a direct link to a genetic predisposition towards alcoholism. Jenelle’s family seems to have some genetic predisposition to mental health issues also being that she was diagnosed bipolar and apparently her brother is schizophrenic. I hope Jace is able to grow up and live a healthy life and not have to deal with any of this stuff.

• Love 2

Sexualization of the father daughter relationship?!  Wow. I did not see that at all. 

So, if people think that they shouldn't have these dances because of girls who don't have dads. Does that mean that kids in school should never make mothers/fathers day cards because some kids don't have both parents? Or that kids shouldn't celebrate their birthdays at school with cupcakes (which I did with my kids every year) because some kids might not celebrate their birthdays? Should they abolish holiday parties and Halloween parades because some kids don't celebrate?  Should no child be allowed to eat peanut butter and jelly because some kids are allergic?  I could go on but I think you all get my point.

Isn't Aubree in a private school? My kids went to public schools and I was disappointed that they didn't have father daughter dances. I think they're adorable and I would imagine that the kids who don't have involved fathers just don't go.  Kids are often not able to do certain activities and they get over it. 

• Love 17
8 minutes ago, TheRealT said:

I HATE the father-daughter dance and I can't believe it's done in the 21st century. It's just so warped on every level. Yes, way to exclude girls who don't have dads in their lives. Also, way to be heteronormative in a creepy way. And the weird sexualization of the father-daughter relationship. Just stop! Is there an equivalent event for boys and their moms? I taught elementary school 20 years ago and there is NO WAY a father-daughter dance would have ever happened for a million reasons. (Granted, I taught in San Francisco, but still.)

It seems insensitive to the girls that don’t have a dad in their life due to death, divorce or an overseas deployment. I know when my daughter was in Brownies they had a Father/Daughter dance and there were several girls whose Dads were serving in Afghanistan at the time and they didn’t go...everyone felt bad for them so the following year they just canceled the dance and had a family picnic day instead...more welcoming and fun for everyone. My daughter didn’t even want to go the Father/Daughter dance because she said “it’s stupid Mom”...they came home early from it and my husband concurred with her opinion of it!

2 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

Sexualization of the father daughter relationship?!  Wow. I did not see that at all. 

So, if people think that they shouldn't have these dances because of girls who don't have dads. Does that mean that kids in school should never make mothers/fathers day cards because some kids don't have both parents? Or that kids shouldn't celebrate their birthdays at school with cupcakes (which I did with my kids every year) because some kids might not celebrate their birthdays? Should they abolish holiday parties and Halloween parades because some kids don't celebrate?  Should no child be allowed to eat peanut butter and jelly because some kids are allergic?  I could go on but I think you all get my point.

Isn't Aubree in a private school? My kids went to public schools and I was disappointed that they didn't have father daughter dances. I think they're adorable and I would imagine that the kids who don't have involved fathers just don't go.  Kids are often not able to do certain activities and they get over it. 

Now you’re over reacting...calm down.

• Love 10
6 minutes ago, Maharincess said:

I'm with you. I think it's a fun thing. There's always going to be some circumstance where SOMEONE feels left out. It sucks, but there it is. If my daughter's school was hosting a dance like that, she wanted to go, and my husband was out of the picture for some reason (this is all very hypothetical, since we homeschool) - I'd have one of her awesome uncles take her. I'm sure the school doesn't insist every girl bring a literal FATHER. Maybe just a father figure - grandpa, older brother, etc. 

I definitely don't see anything sexual or odd about it from a relationship point of view. Quite the opposite. Little girls learn how to allow men to treat them based largely on what they see from their fathers when they're growing up. I like the idea of dads taking their girls out and showing them a little chivalry. Bring her flowers, open the door, just be polite and courteous. I think it means a lot. 

• Love 21