Type keyword(s) to search

S08.E28: Forgot About Dre

druzy
  • Start Topic

(edited)

I feel like there's a fine line when it comes to school events and Father/Daughter dances. Sure, it's great to make them as inclusive as possible, but if you've got 500 kids in a school you'll never really be able to tweak things to where everybody is happy. 

Edited by BitterApple
  • Love 10
Just now, ghoulina said:

I'm with you. I think it's a fun thing. There's always going to be some circumstance where SOMEONE feels left out. It sucks, but there it is. If my daughter's school was hosting a dance like that, she wanted to go, and my husband was out of the picture for some reason (this is all very hypothetical, since we homeschool) - I'd have one of her awesome uncles take her. I'm sure the school doesn't insist every girl bring a literal FATHER. Maybe just a father figure - grandpa, older brother, etc. 

I definitely don't see anything sexual or odd about it from a relationship point of view. Quite the opposite. Little girls learn how to allow men to treat them based largely on what they see from their fathers when they're growing up. I like the idea of dads taking their girls out and showing them a little chivalry. Bring her flowers, open the door, just be polite and courteous. I think it means a lot. 

Yep. My kid's biological father died when they were 1 and 3. I never had a problem with the schools doing things for father's day.  It would have been selfish as hell of me to complain.  And if they'd cancelled it because my kids had no father, I would have felt guilty. You can't and shouldn't cancel something for one kid and not care about disappointing 30 other kids.  It's too ridiculous to even think about. 

• Love 17

In all the mishagos of pro and con daddy/daughter dances and mocktails for kids (I am in favor of both, provided the mocktails are reserved for special occasions) no one has mentioned how much the crew must hate Jenelle by making sure that we see long, loving shots of their mosquito hatchery when Jenelle and her “friend” were taking a walk. They keep panning the “land” which was basically just a fetid swamp. It was AWESOME! 

• Love 20
(edited)

Personally, I wish we would have had father daughter dances in school, because that is one dance I would have had a date to!!! Now I'm 30, unmarried, and go to weddings and events alone all the time. Yes, I feel left out. I know we are comparing a 30-year-old to an 8-year-old, which are very different in terms of emotional maturity. However, someone is always going to be left out in any event, and maybe if I had learned that at a younger age, I wouldn't feel as left out now. Last sentence was partially kidding. The point is, all of us are blessed in different ways, and there is no shame in that. Own what you do have and be thankful! A lot of the girls who wouldn't have had a dad for the father / daughter dance as kids, who were probably jealous of me, having amazing husbands now. I have the world's most awesome dad, but horrible luck with relationships and finding someone who wants to be married. Heck, I wish I could go to a father / daughter dance NOW and have a great night with my dad! Might make up for the next wedding I have to drive across the state to, alone. 

ETA: written out that sounds bitter as heck, and maybe I am a little bitter, but super thankful for the great people I have, like my dad. ?

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 18

I wish our elementary school had mother/son dances.  Me and my boy would kill it!  We have dance parties often at home just the 2 of us.  It’s hilarious!  Although I did volunteer at his Valentine’s Day party this past February which included a glow dance floor and DJ, and he told me I was embarrassing him.....in front of his crush.  

• Love 5
(edited)

You know, come to think about it, we did have daddy / daughter dances at our dance studio! When we were about third or fourth grade, every dance class would get to have their dad in their jazz dance. My dad and I got to do it twice. ? Sometimes people wouldn't have a dad, which is a bigger deal than at Aubree's dance since they are onstage, but a lot of grandpas, uncles, and brothers filled in. The biggest angst I remember was over sisters or twins fighting over who danced with Dad and who got someone else! My little cousin's dad was dead, and her mom did it! Her mom was waaaay more embarrassed than she was! A little off topic, but if anyone here owns a dance studio, audiences LOVE this! ? Plus there are so many good songs out there that are perfect for it!

Edited by Christina87
  • Love 6

Just finished watching this. As is my custom, some thoughts before reading the awesomeness that is this thread:

What was up with 5 pizza boxes and what looks like an entree container in Briana’s house? It looked like the table from someone on My 600 Pound Life.

Chelsea: boring. Not that there’s anything wrong with that but I'm just not interested.

Addie having a really nice birthday cake, they are singing to her and she blows out the candles completely straight faced. WTF? PTVers, please tell me that your kids smile when they blow out candles or open a present or jump in a bounce house? Tell me that that they laugh and have fun and show joy.

Javi is a moron for leaving Kail alone in his house with Lincoln. She totally snooped through his stuff.

The exchange with Barb and Colin was very bad acting and totally weird to me.

Why does Kail have to travel to Atlanta to record a podcast?

Briana chewing like a cow and talking on the phone while driving one handed.

Jennele: blah blah, therapy, blah blah, work on our relationship, blah, blah, my mom, blah negative, blah.

Kail is such a gross pig.

Jace is 10? In the restaurant, he sounded like his has a speech problem.  I never really noticed that before.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, Christina87 said:

Personally, I wish we would have had father daughter dances in school, because that is one dance I would have had a date to!!! Now I'm 30, unmarried, and go to weddings and events alone all the time. Yes, I feel left out. I know we are comparing a 30-year-old to an 8-year-old, which are very different in terms of emotional maturity. However, someone is always going to be left out in any event, and maybe if I had learned that at a younger age, I wouldn't feel as left out now. Last sentence was partially kidding. The point is, all of us are blessed in different ways, and there is no shame in that. Own what you do have and be thankful! A lot of the girls who wouldn't have had a dad for the father / daughter dance as kids, who were probably jealous of me, having amazing husbands now. I have the world's most awesome dad, but horrible luck with relationships and finding someone who wants to be married. Heck, I wish I could go to a father / daughter dance NOW and have a great night with my dad! Might make up for the next wedding I have to drive across the state to, alone. 

ETA: written out that sounds bitter as heck, and maybe I am a little bitter, but super thankful for the great people I have, like my dad. ?

Awww poor thing. ((((Hugs)))) it’s okay Christina87 we are here for you!

Im the last person who wants heteronormativity pushed down kids throats, BUT I think the father-daughter dance is kind of cute. Now father/daughter “dates” and purity balls skeeve me out maybe others think it’s just semantics but I see a difference. 

At the end of the day I think Cole is a great Dad and step dad and that’s what’s matters. I also remember right after Watson was born Chelsea said if she were a single mom she would put on a tie and tuxedo shirt and take Aubree herself. THAT is parenthood for the win. That girl knows she’s very much loved so I give it two thumbs up!!

• Love 14
7 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

I know someone commented up thread about the podcast but I still don’t get it. It’s not filmed right?  I mean podcasts aren’t visual are they?  I know I’m old and not up to date on all the modern newfangled things but I always thought you LISTENED to podcasts. I don’t understand the make up artist and glam. I guess it could be on YouTube?  

The imagined self importance runs deep with those two. 

I just assumed that they got all made up because MTV was filming the podcast.  Of course, whatever image they're trying to project by doing that is negated by all the other times they've filmed looking like warmed over trash (see: Leah pre-makeup and Kail 90% of the time).

• Love 5
8 hours ago, Pixiebomb said:

I know someone commented up thread about the podcast but I still don’t get it. It’s not filmed right?  I mean podcasts aren’t visual are they?  I know I’m old and not up to date on all the modern newfangled things but I always thought you LISTENED to podcasts. I don’t understand the make up artist and glam. I guess it could be on YouTube?  

The imagined self importance runs deep with those two. 

I think they mentioned they had a photographer there. They will need something to help promote it. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, configdotsys said:

What was up with 5 pizza boxes and what looks like an entree container in Briana’s house? It looked like the table from someone on My 600 Pound Life.

I'm assuming MTV foots the bill or these restaurants comp the meals whenever these girls are out eating. They probably order a ton of extra food so they can eat for the week on someone else's dime.

• Love 7
23 hours ago, BitterApple said:

he talked about burying rats in the backyard I felt the need to bust out the butterfly net. Hopefully he's in a better place now.

Collin or the rat? 

When Leah had her glasses on she looked EXACTLY like Ali. 

• Love 9

How did Javi ever miss out on a single Leah? I cannot stand him being the co-star of two of the girls’ stories. 

When the burying the rat thing came up, I was picturing Jenelle and brother as the start of serial killer siblings. What an icky family. 

My kids always had soda at home and in restaurants. Whatever. They’re adults now and never drink it. Mom here is still addicted to diet Sprite. Choose your battles. 

• Love 15
(edited)
4 hours ago, kicksave said:

It seems insensitive to the girls that don’t have a dad in their life due to death, divorce or an overseas deployment. I know when my daughter was in Brownies they had a Father/Daughter dance and there were several girls whose Dads were serving in Afghanistan at the time and they didn’t go...everyone felt bad for them so the following year they just canceled the dance and had a family picnic day instead...more welcoming and fun for everyone.

The military itself (at least the bases that I have been on) does Father-Daughter dances. In the case of deployment (or death), someone else steps in if the child wants to go. My cousin, who is in the Army, has been looking forward to it since his daughter was born - she's 3, he's already missed a year of her life while in Iraq, and he loves the idea of sharing this memory with her. If at any time he won't be able to take her and she wants to go, he has Army friends that would do so.

(Now whether she will turn that dance into a mosh pit is another concern.)

I thought the Chelsea segments were sweet and giggled at Watson almost talking Cole's eye out. I'm surprised he didn't have a flag tie or something. Loved the dog/pig illustrations.

Damn Javi for making me take Briana's side. He is sweet with the kids but too extra with literally everything else. "I came all this way and you won't give me a hug"? She should have dropkicked your ass for that. Gross.

Kail 's face is so puffy, I don't know what she did with herself up there.

Edited by Luciano
  • Love 14
5 hours ago, ghoulina said:

That's gonna be a one-and-done, filming with him. 

I'm the same as you. My kids drink water, water, water. They get milk in the morning. We might indulge in some lemonade or fruit juice on special occasions. They have NEVER had soda. I don't drink it either. Cola, to me, is the worse. That thick dark syrup....I just picture it rotting my insides. 

Mine are 6 and 3 and neither one of them has tasted soda.  I'm not operating under any delusion that it'll stay that way or anything, but I'm going to ride this ignorance of soda wave as long as possible.  My sister in law drinks a 2 liter of Dr. Pepper a day which is disgusting and my brother and their son aren't much better.  They're all obese and my brother is missing a few teeth.  They're basically a walking advertisement for why you shouldn't drink that crap excessively. 

5 hours ago, TheRealT said:

I HATE the father-daughter dance and I can't believe it's done in the 21st century. It's just so warped on every level. Yes, way to exclude girls who don't have dads in their lives. Also, way to be heteronormative in a creepy way. And the weird sexualization of the father-daughter relationship. Just stop! Is there an equivalent event for boys and their moms? I taught elementary school 20 years ago and there is NO WAY a father-daughter dance would have ever happened for a million reasons. (Granted, I taught in San Francisco, but still.)

I was born and raised in northern California and I had never heard of a father daughter dance.  The whole thing is kind of weird and yeah, poses obvious problems like you described.  I'm guessing it's more commonplace in the Midwest and the south. 

• Love 4
4 hours ago, ghoulina said:

I'm with you. I think it's a fun thing. There's always going to be some circumstance where SOMEONE feels left out. It sucks, but there it is. If my daughter's school was hosting a dance like that, she wanted to go, and my husband was out of the picture for some reason (this is all very hypothetical, since we homeschool) - I'd have one of her awesome uncles take her. I'm sure the school doesn't insist every girl bring a literal FATHER. Maybe just a father figure - grandpa, older brother, etc. 

I definitely don't see anything sexual or odd about it from a relationship point of view. Quite the opposite. Little girls learn how to allow men to treat them based largely on what they see from their fathers when they're growing up. I like the idea of dads taking their girls out and showing them a little chivalry. Bring her flowers, open the door, just be polite and courteous. I think it means a lot. 

You make some interesting and valid points.  I guess there's strong arguments on both sides.

4 hours ago, geauxaway said:

I wish our elementary school had mother/son dances.  Me and my boy would kill it!  We have dance parties often at home just the 2 of us.  It’s hilarious!  Although I did volunteer at his Valentine’s Day party this past February which included a glow dance floor and DJ, and he told me I was embarrassing him.....in front of his crush.  

I can't wait to embarrass my kids.  It'll be payback for the shenanigans they're currently subjecting me to.  :D

• Love 5

My dad taught me how I should expect to be treated by men without us ever having to go on one date!  

So now we’ve met Colin, I’m waiting for Jenelle’s sister to be on the show.  From what I gather, she’s the craziest of the bunch and that is saying something.

• Love 8

Awwwwww @Scarlett45 love you too! xoxo. I love my PTV family! You guys are better than therapy!!!!! ???

i agree that bri's food looks like my 600 pound life. Honestly, the coven must have GREAT metabolism to be able to eat like that and still look like they do. Not saying they are any kind of Adonises, but if I ate utter crap daily, I would be a candidate for Dr. Now, lol! Especially at Roxanne's age, how do they do it? Just imagine the banging bodies everyone in that family would have if they are healthily! Roxanne was very thin and pretty as a young woman, when the kids were growing up, and I assume she probably ate that way then (being a single mother with no time, probably working multiple jobs, and the fact that she eats that way now suggests it's a habit for them). I'm not the slightest bit against indulging within reason, and obviously some people eat less than ideally because of schedules or stress, but I would hate to know I could be really pretty if I abstained from constant junk. Well, I guess there is always Dr. Miami!

• Love 4

Something about the father/daughter dance thing has always seemed creepy to me. Too many people act like it's prom , renting limousines, dinner flowers etc. I know this isn't the case with cole and Aubrey (besides the flowers) but it just feels a little icky. 

Aubree at gymnastics! Adorable!!

• Love 8
1 hour ago, heatherchandler said:

My dad taught me how I should expect to be treated by men without us ever having to go on one date!  

So now we’ve met Colin, I’m waiting for Jenelle’s sister to be on the show.  From what I gather, she’s the craziest of the bunch and that is saying something.

Wasn’t she on the “Being Barbara” special? The one where they were trying to find Babs a date? I know I’ve seen her on the show. 

• Love 5

My kids don’t drink soda. We don’t even do juice. One is 9 mos so he wouldn’t have had the opportunity the other is three and even if somdond offered her an honest organic juice box as a treat she has no interest in it. However I don’t see it wrong for a kid to drink a soda out on a special ocassion out at a restaurant. 

I have to say this 

drinking soda should literally be the LAST Of anyone’s concerns when it comes to Jace! He got far more uphill battles to climb than concern over having a soda. 

• Love 11

Also IMO there is nothing wrong with a father daughter dance. I have such fond memories of doing that with my brownie troop with my father. We don’t live in some po-dunk town either, I live on Long Island right outside NYC so it’s definitely not a mid-west red state kind of a thing. 

I can’t even with the sexualing the relationship between father and daughter. I don’t understand at all how something as innocent as dancing with your father is interpreted that way. I’m sorry I think that’s just wrong. 

• Love 17
15 minutes ago, KittyKat133 said:

Also IMO there is nothing wrong with a father daughter dance. I have such fond memories of doing that with my brownie troop with my father. We don’t live in some po-dunk town either, I live on Long Island right outside NYC so it’s definitely not a mid-west red state kind of a thing. 

I can’t even with the sexualing the relationship between father and daughter. I don’t understand at all how something as innocent as dancing with your father is interpreted that way. I’m sorry I think that’s just wrong. 

I agree with you on the father daughter dance. I just don't get why people are looking at it as a creepy sexual thing and I don't get the attitude that because some girls don't have active fathers in their lives then the dances shouldn't be allowed. I do not have a father in my life and if my school had done this, I wouldn't have gone, which would have sucked. However, I dont see that as a reason to stop everyone else from having that nice memory. 

I love in Southern California and my kids school has a father daughte and mother son dance every year. My girls look forward to it and love the buildup to it. We shop for their dresses. shoes and accessories. My husband orders corsages and they go out to dinner after the dance and some dads even rent limos. I dont see what is creepy about that, but YMMV

• Love 10

Okay so I know this is not going to be the most welcomed comment but I want to address the segment with Barb and Colin - I just cant understand what Barb is thinking by letting Colin interact one on one with Jace like he was suggesting they do in a attempt to promote himself in regards to living with Barb. This grown man who is obviously mentally unstable should not be around a little boy or girl unsupervised for any reason other than parental neglect. The part where he said that Jace doesn't calm down until he has been in the room playing video games for a few hours is also very telling- wtf cant Jace ever get a break from these idiots that seem to be raising him? I like the part where Barb tried to lead him about the way Jace is angry and violent when he gets back home and who is to say he isn't angry because he is back with these two? 

At the end of the last show we heard Jace call his mother and David pieces of shit and yet she did not say one word other than ask him to repeat himself? This kid is going to be so messed up - he could very well end up like all three of Barbs children so far and why not?

• Love 5
On 7/11/2018 at 1:34 AM, poeticlicensed said:

David uses guns to channel his anger. David is exactly the type of person that those who oppose guns point to when they talk about the how guns are a danger to the community.

Also, why does Kail have to travel to Atlanta to record a podcast? I listen to lots of podcasts and most people either do it in a local studio or they buy equipment and do it at home. It seems like another excuse to travel. 

I will have you know that Kail hadn't been on a holiday in SIX MONTHS at that point. That is an incredibly long amount of time to be in your home state with your children. She needs those vacations at LEAST every three months, you know!

• Love 9

Don’t mind the father-daughter dance. My now grown daughter went to a few of these with her dad. Really just a way for her to dress up (she was and is into that kind of thing - I am not!) and spend some one-on-one time with her dad away from younger siblings.  It was not through the school, though. Their elementary has something for dad and mom and kids are encouraged to bring grandfathers, uncles, aunts, etc. if their parent is not around. I lost my father when I was young and it never occured to me that events should be cancelled because I was dealt a bad hand. Like said upthread, we all have our crosses to bear over a lifetime. If Aubree enjoys it, that is reason to do it. She still deals with a shitty father even though she has Cole.

• Love 9
1 hour ago, monicageller said:

I will have you know that Kail hadn't been on a holiday in SIX MONTHS at that point. That is an incredibly long amount of time to be in your home state with your children. She needs those vacations at LEAST every three months, you know!

Was Jamaica before or after Hawaii? I could go on her Instagram and look but I’m being lazy and attempting to get sleepy.  Dang Insomnia. 

Every time I click this thread I sing the “Forgot About Dre” song in my head.  Who is this referring to anyway? I’m assuming Brianna since I FF through her parts. 

• Love 3
14 hours ago, gunderda said:

I recently discovered adult shirley temples and ommggggggggg.  Get you some cherry vodka, cherry pucker, sprite and grenadine and you will be in shirley temple heaven (i suggest more pucker than vodka)

MUST TRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Love 2

I don't know if it's a regional thing (San Francisco -born, raised, and now hanging on by my fingernails to afford to stay) but I had never heard of a Father-Daughter dance until watching this show. It did strike me as odd...heteronormative, I guess.

Do they have Parent-Child dances? That would be awesome.  Same benefits, but inclusive to however each family is made up. (Please excuse bad grammar and typos )

• Love 10
1 hour ago, elsie said:

I don't know if it's a regional thing (San Francisco -born, raised, and now hanging on by my fingernails to afford to stay) but I had never heard of a Father-Daughter dance until watching this show. It did strike me as odd...heteronormative, I guess.

Do they have Parent-Child dances? That would be awesome.  Same benefits, but inclusive to however each family is made up. (Please excuse bad grammar and typos )

I grew up in Connecticut and Louisiana and now live in North Carolina.  I had never heard of daddy-daughter dances until this show, either.    Anyway,  the parent-child dance seems like a good idea. 

• Love 3
7 hours ago, lilmarysunshine said:

Don’t mind the father-daughter dance. My now grown daughter went to a few of these with her dad. Really just a way for her to dress up (she was and is into that kind of thing - I am not!) and spend some one-on-one time with her dad away from younger siblings.  It was not through the school, though. Their elementary has something for dad and mom and kids are encouraged to bring grandfathers, uncles, aunts, etc. if their parent is not around. I lost my father when I was young and it never occured to me that events should be cancelled because I was dealt a bad hand. Like said upthread, we all have our crosses to bear over a lifetime. If Aubree enjoys it, that is reason to do it. She still deals with a shitty father even though she has Cole.

@lilmarysunshine You are so right! I had never thought of it that way, but just because a little girl has someone to take to the dance, it doesn't mean her life is perfect or she doesn't still deal with a shitty father. I'm sure even though she's glad Cole goes, a part of her wishes her father were involved and would say, "of course I'm going, Aubree! I'm glad Cole offered, but I wouldn't miss it for the world!"

haha I was thinking and you know what just occurred to me...you guys are going to laugh at how Southern this is...but I did cotillion as a preteen/teen, and we would have our opposite gender parent attend with us on the last night so we could show them our waltzes and stuff that we had learned over the course, and show off our good manners. ? I loved cotillion, and my sister had to be bribed to go, and quit after one year!

i agree though with @Scarlett45 that the purity balls skeeve me out. No offense to anyone who has done them, but that IS making the daddy / daughter relationship all about sex. Somehow, I don't see Cole and Aubree doing that haha. On a side note, I reeeeeally hope Aubree (and Braylee) can avoid being teen moms, since it seems to run so strongly in their family!

• Love 6
(edited)

I'm in Iowa and I think we only had daddy-daughter dances for girl scouts. I remember to only going to one and I was only in girl scouts for a year because for whatever reason all of my friends were in it and I wasn't.

But it seems like now a lot of schools do parents-child events.  My nephew went to a school that did Muffins with Mom and Donuts with Dad.  But my nephew's mom was in jail or maybe treatment.  So I'm not sure how may Muffins with Mom he couldn't partake in but I know my mom drove 10ish hours once to do it with him.  Schools really need to rethink that stuff. 

Edited by gunderda
  • Love 5

My kids school does her daddy/daughter dance and a mommy/son event (baseball game, bowling etc). I have no problem with it. Lots of flexibility is allowed in regards to who attends. I saw several girls at bowling this year because that was more their style. I saw grandparents, Aunts/Uncles, friends. I guess they could just advertise them as “events” rather than father/daughter and mother/son,  but I think the school is trying to make it special and not a whole school deal. They do those too. Things like carnivals, science nights, movies. Now the creepiest thing I have been to is my husband’s cousins getting married at 19 and daddy taking their purity rings off after he walked them up the aisle. So gross and awkward. It was like a billboard was flashing “They get to have sex now!!!”  Those girls got married just so they could have sex. 

• Love 9
21 hours ago, gunderda said:

I recently discovered adult shirley temples and ommggggggggg.  Get you some cherry vodka, cherry pucker, sprite and grenadine and you will be in shirley temple heaven (i suggest more pucker than vodka)

Shirley Temple Black ;)

• Love 3
(edited)
9 hours ago, Witchz said:

Okay so I know this is not going to be the most welcomed comment but I want to address the segment with Barb and Colin - I just cant understand what Barb is thinking by letting Colin interact one on one with Jace like he was suggesting they do in a attempt to promote himself in regards to living with Barb. This grown man who is obviously mentally unstable should not be around a little boy or girl unsupervised for any reason other than parental neglect. The part where he said that Jace doesn't calm down until he has been in the room playing video games for a few hours is also very telling- wtf cant Jace ever get a break from these idiots that seem to be raising him? I like the part where Barb tried to lead him about the way Jace is angry and violent when he gets back home and who is to say he isn't angry because he is back with these two? 

At the end of the last show we heard Jace call his mother and David pieces of shit and yet she did not say one word other than ask him to repeat himself? This kid is going to be so messed up - he could very well end up like all three of Barbs children so far and why not?

I totally agree.   I knew ahead of time that Colin is schizophrenic so my first thought during that scene was what a horrible idea to have him around Jace.  So basically whenever Jace isn't with an angry, hateful abuser he's hanging out with his schizophrenic uncle who recently got kicked out of a group home. That poor kid really doesn't stand a chance.

5 hours ago, elsie said:

It must be.  I'm also from the bay area and had never heard of them before this show.

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 2
(edited)
1 hour ago, HooHooHoo said:

My kids school does her daddy/daughter dance and a mommy/son event (baseball game, bowling etc). I have no problem with it. Lots of flexibility is allowed in regards to who attends. I saw several girls at bowling this year because that was more their style. I saw grandparents, Aunts/Uncles, friends. I guess they could just advertise them as “events” rather than father/daughter and mother/son,  but I think the school is trying to make it special and not a whole school deal. They do those too. Things like carnivals, science nights, movies. Now the creepiest thing I have been to is my husband’s cousins getting married at 19 and daddy taking their purity rings off after he walked them up the aisle. So gross and awkward. It was like a billboard was flashing “They get to have sex now!!!”  Those girls got married just so they could have sex. 

That's why I loathe the whole "no sex before marriage" rule.  All it does is lead way too young people to get married for the wrong reasons.  A piece of paper does not ensure stability.  When I was young not only did my mom tell me she didn't give a shit if I had sex before marriage but she told me she'd much prefer if I lived with whomever I wanted to marry before we sealed the deal.  I believe her exact words were something like "you have to try before you buy." 

Edited by lezlers
  • Love 10
13 hours ago, EmeraldGirl said:

How did Javi ever miss out on a single Leah? I cannot stand him being the co-star of two of the girls’ stories.

OMG I never even thought of that! Come on Javi, get busy, you'll have to catch Leah between hookups with Germy. Positive side, West Virginia isn't as far from Delaware as Florida.

I seriously wonder if he's contemplated it. I bet he has.

• Love 9

I grew up in the boonies and never heard of daddy-daughter dances, which, thank fuck, because that would've been hopelessly awkward for me. I had a father figure growing up, but he was more likely to teach me how to rebuild an engine than put on some stuffy clothing he wasn't used to and stiffly pretend to dance around a gymnasium. I'm happy with that. That said, I can see the benefits. Most little girls grow up and marry men, so it would make sense to have a solid relationship with a father figure to prepare them for relationships with men. I just wish there were other ways to do it. Why a dance? Why not, say, a science camp or a boxcar derby or a camping weekend like boys get? Truly, I know why. Dances are easy and vanilla enough to please everyone just enough and they take little effort compared to something as specialized as a hobby-related event. I do think it's cute, and I think Cole and Aubree's relationship is precious and the whole thing was handled not-creepily at all.

Now, those daddy-daughter virginity balls? Gross. Just fucking gross as hell. Those should be illegal. Your virginity belongs to you and only you, not a partner, not a parent.

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, gunderda said:

and didn't colin just go on a twitter rant not that long ago about how Barb was a terrible mom and sent him off to a school so she didn't have to take care of him??

He also ranted on twitter about his "girlfriend" having been raped to death (?) in jail.  He was going crazy about it, demanding that they produce her body(!) until her family finally told him that they lied to him and told him she was killed in prison so he would leave her alone.  I mean, I know Barb means well, but he may not be the best buddy for Jace.

• Love 8

We're kind of veering off track a little. Your personal anecdotes and feelings about father/daughter dances can be discussed in the Small Talk thread. Please keep the discussion here to what was shown on the episode. Thanks!

(edited)
14 hours ago, heatherchandler said:

I'm not saying it's necessary. I just don't think it's creepy or sexual or hurts anything. 

I think the effort that Cole puts into these dances is teaching Aubree something for how men in the future should treat her. He goes all out and it's so sweet! 

ETA - Sorry, just saw the mod warning. Consider the topic dropped. =)

1 hour ago, gunderda said:

and didn't colin just go on a twitter rant not that long ago about how Barb was a terrible mom and sent him off to a school so she didn't have to take care of him??

Colin has said several things on social media that make him come off as really unhinged, IMO. I'm not saying Barb should keep Jace away from him 100% (can't be any worse than Jenelle and David, right?), but she should be VERY mindful of their time together. 

Edited by ghoulina
  • Love 11
(edited)
2 hours ago, gunderda said:

Yes.  Then said his girlfriend died in jail after being beaten by guards and it was hidden.  Then wait, no she wasn’t.  Her family lied to him.  ??‍♀️ Then he was looking for a new girlfriend.  

Oops someone else already said this. My bad. 

Edited by Mkay
  • Love 6

I thought that about Barb saying Colin could be a male role model or something like that?  A schizophrenic guy with a chaotic lifestyle and past?  Are you kidding me, Babs?  Get him a Big Brother or something. Talk to the school counselor about a male mentor.

Jace has NEVER had a decent man in his life -  not his sperm donor "father," not Keiffer, Courtland, Nathan or David. And not his uncle. The closest he came to that was Barbara's boyfriend but apparently he cheated on her with a Hooters person or something?

Poor kid.

• Love 10
(edited)

i’m sure its been said already but i felt like colin was just trying to be sarcastic & funny with the rat story, he knew the cameras were there. he probably knew babs would give him that look. i also have some gross childhood stories i like to save for awkward reactions too, i look forward to my mom’s (and whoever else’s) face becoming this emoji, it amuses me: ??

??‍♀️

eta: i am well aware of his mental illness diagnosis. while there have been some instances in the past where he said things that were leaning more towards his diagnosis, it honestly just seemed like he was just trying to be funny & get an awkward reaction.

Edited by shinyclefable
clarification
  • Love 5
1 hour ago, Mkay said:

Yes.  Then said his girlfriend died in jail after being beaten by guards and it was hidden.  Then wait, no she wasn’t.  Her family lied to him.  ??‍♀️ Then he was looking for a new girlfriend.  

Oops someone else already said this. My bad. 

If Jenelle gets fired or quits, they can just continue her segments with Colin and Barb. Based on what I saw last Monday, I have a feeling that dude would be ratings gold. 

• Love 6
4 hours ago, gunderda said:

I'm in Iowa and I think we only had daddy-daughter dances for girl scouts. I remember to only going to one and I was only in girl scouts for a year because for whatever reason all of my friends were in it and I wasn't.

But it seems like now a lot of schools do parents-child events.  My nephew went to a school that did Muffins with Mom and Donuts with Dad.  But my nephew's mom was in jail or maybe treatment.  So I'm not sure how may Muffins with Mom he couldn't partake in but I know my mom drove 10ish hours once to do it with him.  Schools really need to rethink that stuff. 

Schools try really hard to find ways--many ways, to get parents to participate in school activities with their children.  Sadly, in many communities it just doesn't happen. Even for things like school performances.  In a community like Aubrey's this isn't really an issue.

• Love 2
On 7/10/2018 at 5:41 PM, heatherchandler said:

When I was little we ate out a lot and we go out to eat with the kids now, and I go by the same rule - for food.  Everyone gets to order what they like to eat.  My parents never put restrictions on me, and I don't put them on my kids.  I think it is great that they can try different things.  

As far as drinks go, though, I would feel weird letting my kids get a pop.  

Oh, of course!  Yes, impressive!  

I was also bugged that she was shaking the bottle - which gives the kids gas.  I always stirred it.

Really??  I wouldn't even entertain the idea!  I have given my 8 year old 1 sip of coke once.  We eat out a lot and I have never seen kids with pop.  My kids get water with lemon or a splash of lemonade in water for a special treat.  I would actually be ok with a virgin daquiri before a coke.  I guess I am in the minority with this.

I see 8 year old's with pop out all the time. You can even get it with your happy meals now. My son can either have a pop or chocolate milk when we go out, since it's a treat for him. I never really thought it was that big of deal to be honest.

• Love 8
3 hours ago, lilmarysunshine said:

I thought that about Barb saying Colin could be a male role model or something like that?  A schizophrenic guy with a chaotic lifestyle and past?  Are you kidding me, Babs?  Get him a Big Brother or something. Talk to the school counselor about a male mentor.

Jace has NEVER had a decent man in his life -  not his sperm donor "father," not Keiffer, Courtland, Nathan or David. And not his uncle. The closest he came to that was Barbara's boyfriend but apparently he cheated on her with a Hooters person or something?

Poor kid.

This worries me too. I've always thought it's a good thing that Jace is in Scouts.  Hopefully, his leaders or his friends' dads take him under their wings. 

• Love 4