Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 7/09/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Has Sunny developed a new "cultural appropriation" soapbox?   She actually said on a previous show (I'm paraphrasing...badly) that the oppressed/deprived peoples don't--by virtue of their being a minority--appropriate anything from the majority.  It may have been in referance to Black women (Sunny) who wear weaves that are Caucasian/Asian-like.  Today she objects to White women's adopting cornrows, but she's weavin' with the best of them.   I don't think she sees that this is an odd dichotomy.

• Love 8
(edited)

LOL - I was married in 1979 and we went to Mexico for our honeymoon. I got sick and my husband called the doctor but I needed to sleep so he explored the resort Las Hadas. He returned and said he saw the most beautiful woman there - it was Bo Derek and they were filming "10".

I was fine the next morning but we were not able to see any of the filming.

Seems to me braids (cornrows) whatever - they have been around all cultures practically forever.

OTOH - I have a very beautiful BFF for 50 years and 40 years ago she went to a Caribbean island and came back with them and looked rediculous! LOL

ETA - I'm 71.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 7
(edited)

I wonder if after today Sara may have finally learned there's no point trying to placate Meghan. The way Meghan screamed at her, things like "Wait a minute!" and "Let me finish!", was so bizarre as Meghan wasn't talking and getting interrupted by Sara, she was the one interrupting and then claiming she was being spoken over. Meghan is so weird.

It frightens me when people like her basically say: "the end justifies the means". It's what I appreciated about Tara's comments when she said even if she agrees with what's happening with the Supreme Court, it's not worth the undermining of institutions. The fact that Meghan thinks otherwise is chilling.

Edited by MelP
Removed my rant.
  • Love 24
15 minutes ago, MelP said:

I wonder if after today Sara may have finally learned there's no point trying to placate Meghan. The way Meghan screamed at her, things like "Wait a minute!" and "Let me finish!", was so bizarre as Meghan wasn't talking and getting interrupted by Sara, she was the one interrupting and then claiming she was being spoken over. Meghan is so weird.

Yes, that interaction WAS weird. But what was even weirder was that Joy put a stop to it by saying "we need to stop talking over each other. Meghan, you can have the last word."

WTF, Joy, Sara was talking first!

• Love 10

I think I can try to explain what Sunny means when she says cultural appropriation. Kylie Jenner is making millions off of makeup kits, especially lipsticks and such. Kylie herself had lip fillers until she recently took them out. Black women have had naturally fuller lips and they were called ugly. The same with certain hairstyles. Black people have had dreadlocks for years, but would get fired for wearing their natural hair. I think one of the Kardashians wore a hair style like that and it was called daring and bold. That is what Sunny sees as profiting from black culture.

• Love 17

Which is our favorite catch-phrase from our favorite The View panelist...the one who sits across from Whoopi?    These, of course, are with and without eyerolls, eye-darts, sneers, and coffee slurps.

• Let me finish!
  • As I was saying...
  • I'm not finished!
  • CAN I FINISH???
  • Love 12
5 hours ago, Former Nun said:

Which is our favorite catch-phrase from our favorite The View panelist...the one who sits across from Whoopi?    These, of course, are with and without eyerolls, eye-darts, sneers, and coffee slurps.

• Let me finish!
  • As I was saying...
  • I'm not finished!
  • CAN I FINISH???
  • I will say...
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, maggiemae said:

I think all co-hosts are told to placate MM.

Because her contract will not be renewed.

I just wonder, if she is fired, when exactly she'll leave? She technically started at the end of the first month of the current season. Does that mean she would be a part of the first month of the next season before she's booted or not?

• Love 1
7 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Or because her father is dying, and the other ladies have been told to play nice with her--so later MM cannot accuse these non-conservatives/non-Fox staff of being mean to her.

White, uber-privileged MM luuvves being the victim, but ABC  is going to be blameless and classy-- -not that it matters at all, cuz MM will twist anything so that the other entity is the bully.

After her father passes and her leave of absence, she will be desperate for a another job or a way to get into the news of the day, so she will bring up anything the View ladies ever said, even slightly tinged with criticism , esp Joy, of course. But people move on to newer news, newer  shinier celebrities, as well as more outrageous Negative Nellies.

No more coat-tail relevance for you,  MM. 

My hope is for Joy and my fear also, because MM has made Joy into the enemy and there are crazies out there.  

• Love 10
9 hours ago, maggiemae said:

Sadly, I don't think Meghan is leaving anytime soon. I think ABC loves the attention.

Look how long Bitsy was there!

• Love 12
16 hours ago, Former Nun said:

BRAIDS.     All cultures have had some sort of hair-braiding technique going back to ancient times (B.C. or B.C.E.).  White people who had never seen other ethnicities managed to create braids.  It was a depiction of beauty and art for both men and women.  Just because modern ladies don't know their history, they should not assume/declare that one culture is stealing a style from another culture.   Sunny seems to get more narrow-minded about some things while her mind gets opened about others.

I guess I like it when someone has enough self-assurance to say, "I look pretty."  Sounds weird, though.

thank you.   as a white person, i was offended during the braids discussion. i am not going to apologize for or stop wearing braids because i am white. because i don't have to. as you say, many many cultures have braided their hair. men and women. what the hell was sunny talking about, cultural appropriation. this p.c. stuff (in this case b.s.) is getting really out of control. stop it now  liberals this has gotten us in trouble before. don't get me wrong. i am all for some aspects of being politically, culturally, humanly correct. but what she was spouting was ridiculous. 

• Love 9
7 hours ago, Former Nun said:

• Let me finish!
  • As I was saying...
  • I'm not finished!
  • CAN I FINISH???

1 hour ago, Haleth said:
  • I will say...

As the lone Republican 

• Love 9
1 hour ago, OnTime said:

Sadly, I don't think Meghan is leaving anytime soon. I think ABC loves the attention.

Look how long Bitsy was there!

ABC doesn't seem to care about the fans, as long as MM is showing up in the media.  I thought Bitsy would never go!

58 minutes ago, msrachelj said:

thank you.   as a white person, i was offended during the braids discussion. i am not going to apologize for or stop wearing braids because i am white. because i don't have to. as you say, many many cultures have braided their hair. men and women. what the hell was sunny talking about, cultural appropriation. this p.c. stuff (in this case b.s.) is getting really out of control. stop it now  liberals this has gotten us in trouble before. don't get me wrong. i am all for some aspects of being politically, culturally, humanly correct. but what she was spouting was ridiculous. 

Oh, Yawn - I wore braids as a child as did my eastern European ancestors.  How about not getting indignant on a daily basis?

• Love 8
(edited)
9 hours ago, Former Nun said:

• Let me finish!
  • As I was saying...
  • I'm not finished!
  • CAN I FINISH???

3 hours ago, Haleth said:
  • I will say...
  • Let me say...

And the neck snaps, pursing her lips as if she just sucked on a lemon and the blink-blink.

Oh! And the raising of her hand while holding a pen spouting off nonsense from the blue cards as if she’s a reporter reading facts.

Edited by GHScorpiosRule
  • Love 14

As a  white former braid wearer (thx, Ma  - those suckers hurt while going in, as part of  my before school toilette, age 8)   I think I understand  cultural appropriation concerns, but in looking up this hairstyle's history , I found early representations from 20,000 BC in France, and one at 28000 BC in Austria, although they think the latter may be a hat!   Meghan's braided hair Thursday (before the braid talk) looked so bad to me that I actually thought , why does she keep detracting from her beautiful face with these weird braided do's - next day she's  bragging how she's pretty with 'em.  I WILL say, Nazis loved their  braids, circa WW Ii.

• Love 7

After being admonished or ignored MMM often throws in a nose-tip twitch after a neck snap and hair-stroking before a blink blink water sip.  Who does she think she is?  Elizabeth Montgomery on Bewitched (who would not be caught dead in braids)?

• Love 6
(edited)

Meghan will not storm off or even quit, calmly.  She's auditioning for a job in the White House, directly under Trump as Omarosa claimed she had.  A job there, at any rate.  She wants to be the darling, outspoken hawk of the 'conservatives.'*  

* everything Trump has done is radical, nothing conservative about it. 

Edited by Wings
  • Love 6

For the record, hair weaving was invented by a Black woman in the 1950s.

This conversation is circular and the issue is deep and layered and cannot be adequately addressed in a forum.

I didn't like that hairstyle on Sara. I thought it aged her. Sara was more forceful in interjecting with her opinions. It was good to see, but I enjoy the sweet Sara. The show needs some sweetness. Lol.

• Love 8
2 hours ago, deirdra said:

After being admonished or ignored MMM often throws in a nose-tip twitch

I don't think that's purposeful.  I think it's some sort of unconscious* twitch and I'm always happy to see it.

"They're wrong.  I'm pissed, but I'm not gonna show it.

• Love 5

What's odd is Meghan is not retweeting this article, or the one on Mediaite, she almost always does.

Rather she is pulling out the my dad has cancer card because, you know, she is the only one that has gone through this or ever will go through this.

• Love 4