Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 7/09/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

Sara is the exact kind of person who is susceptible to "fake news" and retweet or spread on it on facebook like it is real. 

Whoopi is on 10 trying to defend the karadashian/jenner klan. I couldn't follow her argument. Words have meaning and you can't change them just because you want to be up Kim and Kris's genetically modified asses. 

• Love 21
4 minutes ago, jalady said:

Why in the HELL is Whoopi freaking Goldberg arguing with Sunny and siding with RBM about the meaning of "self-made"???  It has to be to give her daughter cover.  Because this is not a controversial topic at all.  And Sunny was giving the girl credit for her product!  But self made???  GTFO.

Right!! I was genuinely confused as to why Whoopi got THAT worked up during this segment. Whoopi’s upbringing is more aligned with Sunny’s yet she basically sided with Meghan, whose upbringing was one of complete privilege. Me thinks Whoopi is out of touch with reality and has been famous for so long she forgot where she came from. Sunny wasn’t even saying anything bad about Kylie - all she said is the girl isn’t self-made. 

• Love 21
3 minutes ago, Haleth said:

I think Whoopi was looking at it from the point of view that having a famous/wealthy parent doesn't guaranty success. (See: Alex.).  Of course it depends on the kid. Kudos to Kylie for taking advantage of her name and notoriety and creating her own empire, but self made?  Oh hell no.

I would argue Kylie's sister Kim is a lot more self made than her.  Albeit with the help of a sex tape.

• Love 19
(edited)
12 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

She looked like she wanted to throttle Sunny.  She used to be like this with Paula.  I liked Sunny's bravery in not backing down.  Sunny is slowly pushing back on her.  Sunny really gets under her skin.  I wonder, if it is Sunny's education that threatens her so much.

Its not the threat of Sunny having more schooling that Whoopi, its Sunny's education as an attorney who training teaches them, for the most part to NOT raise their voices, not talk over each other, have a calculated plan before opening your trap.  I worked for a General Counsel for years and she was amazing in the boardroom, she would just sit there, takes it all in and then pounce with the facts.  Her and Sunny have the same training.  

Edited by TV Diva Queen
  • Love 21
(edited)
4 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Its not the threat of Sunny having more schooling that Whoopi, its Sunny's education as an attorney who for the most part is taught to NOT raise their voices, not talk over each other, have a calculated plan before opening her trap.  I worked for a General Counsel for years and she was amazing in the boardroom, she would just sit there, takes it all in and then pounce with the facts.  Her and Sunny have the same training.  

I love Sunny for those reasons that you listed in your post.  I think that she chooses her battles wisely and engages when she wants with indisputable facts, like today, when they were discussing why we pay the most, for NATO.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 16
7 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I would argue Kylie's sister Kim is a lot more self made than her.  Albeit with the help of a sex tape.

You're right. It's crazy how Kim's sex tape helped to set her entire family up for opportunities. And yes, Whoopi, it takes grit to make the most of those opportunities,  but it's not like Kylie started on square one. I'm glad Sunny stood her ground. I'm not even a big fan of Sunny, but I truly hate Whoopi's attitude towards her.

• Love 23
59 minutes ago, Alexis2291 said:

Here goes Meghan again, using the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" argument to undermine the points all the ladies are making at the table. And thank you, Sunny, for pointing out that the amount our allies pay towards NATO is based on the size of their economies, not because they want the U.S. to foot the bill. 

56 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Ugh.  Ditto. Such self absorbed, unpleasant characters. 

Meghan, it's called a progressive payment scale.  Countries pay what they can afford. It's like taxes-- 2% for an economy as big as ours is much less onerous than it is for a country like Latvia.  It's the same reason why there are sliding income tax brackets. 

I haven't seen the segment yet but Meghan's sentiments seem to mirror precisely what Trump is hoping his base will buy into. For one, spending is relative to the country's GDP. You can't expect a country like Canada whose population is less than the population of California alone to contribute anywhere close to the same magnitude as the US, whether percentage or dollar for dollar. Also, spending in countries are not limited to producing quantity but quality. Just because counties aren't spending money on brand new fighter jets every 5 years doesn't mean they aren't investing in their military in quality ways.  And most importantly, the US's military spending is not concentrated to the protection of NATO countries. The US has earned the reputation of being the most powerful and richest country in the world because they wanted that power. To flex those muscles, you gotta spend money to claim your dominance. That spending is not a true reflection of American's commitment to NATO, but to American's commitment to keep it's seat at the head of the world table.

• Love 16

I didn't watch the show today, but from these posts, I'm glad I missed it. I still can't figure out why/how MM can defend anything related to trump's policies(?), after the brutal attacks on her dying father. She's a phony, and I don't believe for a moment she'd pass up an opportunity for a job in his administration.

• Love 21

Re: Wednesday's show. Not a fan of DLH... i sorta think he is racist (although give him a pass based on his experience as an 8 year old)... But why was he wearing a hat that looked shit-stained, and a uniform that made him look like a bad Sheriff David Clark impersonator? Also, when you are promoting "your" book and it was co-written, why not mention the other writer?

• Love 4

Meh-gan, STFU! You know nothing about NATO and you won't listen when the other women tell you the truth. God!  You have Trump Derangement Syndrome. You always defend him. Keep rolling your eyes, dumbass.

I love Joy. Keep on going!

And Whoopie, you can STFU as well. Kylie Jenner is *not* self-made. Sunny is right - Oprah is 'self-made'. Even Whoopie, although she refuses to acknowledge it - she is 'self-made' as well. 

Oh Meh-gan, we feel bad for ourselves - having to deal with your bullshit every day!

Of *course* Meh-gan would have politics on the top of her book list.

• Love 19
(edited)

If MM needs to work 12 times harder than anyone else then she should try 25 times harder.

And if she can't explain her most favorite book explaining Trump voters in the midwest then I am not interested in spending the money to read 2 authors take on it that live in red states.

ETA - Sunny is self made as well, and Joy.

Edited by maggiemae
  • Love 16

Damn Whoopi! First, she didn't know that ignorance of the law is not a defense. She thought they had to have signs posted!

Then, in the same sentence she denied that she was self made and then immediately said she was self made.

MM said that she was born on third base and benefitted from her father's position, but Whoopi said having a famous parent doesn't help a child. It appeared that she thought she was agreeing with MM.

She was all over the place today.

I am in agreeance(trademark Sherri S.) with Sunni on the secret account. My niece has a secret account. She has a shopping addiction and sneaks all kinds of merch into the house when her husband is not home. There is always a stash in the trunk of her car. Nothing wrong with separate accounts. Secret account, no!

• Love 8

I forgot about Meghan's books. I turned it  off and deleted it. I hadn't finished  it but was done with it lol. I'm sitting here waiting for my son to be done with speech therapy and remembered the books.

What were her picks? Anything interesting. ...lol.

• Love 3
(edited)

I finally saw the NATO segment, why didn't anyone ask the question why America chooses to spend that particular percentage of money on NATO? Aside from the agreement in place that to have all countries be able to contribute 2% GDP by 2024, there is no agreement that seems to exclusively put America on the hook for the 3.5% specifically that they contribute. Again, this likely goes back to America reinforcing its dominance on the world stage, but politically strategizing to have other countries alleviate some of that financial burden without compromising their power as the 'leader'.

And I'm not sure what was so hard for Sara and Meghan to understand. You can't go issue by issue or give credence to a point if you can't trust the information that is being cited as reason for the point being made. For example, he can say that Canada treats America's dairy farmers really poorly by imposing a 270% tariff on their products (which by the way, he and his team have misreported that number several times, going as far up as 300%). On the face of things, that does sound quite unfair, doesn't it? Does it sound less unfair if you were to be correctly informed that part of the NAFTA agreement allowed both countries to impose tariffs on select domestic industries in order to protect those industries from being destabilized? So would it surprise many Americans to know that America imposes on Canada 160% tariffs on shelled peanuts and 300% tariffs on tobacco (this number has been as high as 600% in the past)? So to reiterate my point, how can you argue the premise of any point being made by someone who you can't rely on whether they are 1. sharing important context to their argument and 2. sharing accurate information in support of their argument.

Edited by RHJunkie
  • Love 13
17 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I forgot about Meghan's books. I turned it  off and deleted it. I hadn't finished  it but was done with it lol. I'm sitting here waiting for my son to be done with speech therapy and remembered the books.

What were her picks? Anything interesting. ...lol.

The Great Revolt about Trump voters.   Bad Blood about some shady shit in Silicon Valley and Luckiest Girl Alive by Jessica Knoll which I read last year.

• Love 2
(edited)

Since the US has always been about the military, they would still spend a lot of money on the military regardless of the 2% of GDP required by NATO. Why are they over 3%? Doesn’t that mean that the US are spending way too much money on their “defenses”? All these false facts that the administration is spewing right now about other countries “owing” the US is terrible. Screw you, Meghan, for adding to this.

Edited by twoods
  • Love 12
3 minutes ago, twoods said:

Since the US has always been about the military, they would still spend a lot of money on the military regardless of the 2% of GDP required by NATO. Why are they over 3%? Doesn’t that mean that the US are spending way too much money on their “defenses”? All these false facts that the administration is spewing right now about other countries “owing” the US is terrible. Screw you, Meghan, for adding to this.

And Sara.  She wouldn't back off either.  That to me is more annoying. People will hear Sara and believe her. They might (big might) question Meghan as just pitching for her team. Sara has been called" fair" and "considers both sides". So her spreading lies is worse for me.it's all bad but you all know what I'm saying. 

• Love 17
4 minutes ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Hahaha of course. 

Thanks @BLONDIECO332.

I will read Great Revolt because I want to know if the authors are serving up anything new about Trump voters. I've read every Trump book since he was elected and I'm waiting for a book about the people that didn't vote for him.

• Love 6
1 minute ago, blondiec0332 said:

I will read Great Revolt because I want to know if the authors are serving up anything new about Trump voters. I've read every Trump book since he was elected and I'm waiting for a book about the people that didn't vote for him.

Once you read it, can you share your opinion in the small talk thread?  

• Love 3
(edited)

I watched today, FFing through the self made millionaire part.  Kris Jenner clearly set up her daughters business, Jesus.  With her own modeling money but the success is due to the Kardashian empire.  

I have decided not to get irritated with MM anymore because she is only reciting what all Trump supporters believe.  I already know what they think.  

I am being entertained watching facial expressions.  The control booth is doing a stellar job catching both Joy and MM's reactions.  Kudos. 

Joy irritates the fuck out of MM when she smiles and glances at Whoopie.   She is having more cup clutching moments as of late as the tension on the panel builds.  It is delicious!

Edited by Wings
  • Love 14
1 hour ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Oh PUH-LEAZE!!!!! Bill Gates is self-made; Steve Jobs. OPRAH. That spawn of Kris and Bruce (now Caitlyn) is NOT self-made. I can see why the TWAT has an issue with it-she's done NOTHING on her own. Her "fame" or celebrity or why she has money is due to who her parents are. What has she done to gain her wealth? And I may just watch the segment to see Sunny push back with facts.

Meghan says she has to work 12x as hard as someone else to prove her place. The average person has to work 20x as hard just to get the opportunity! Not once did Sunny say that a person of privilege doesn't deserve credit for making the most of the opportunities given to them or afforded to them by their social circumstances. She's simply correcting the fact that Kylie Jenner is not self-made. That doesn't mean that she didn't work hard for what she's built up and you're of small mind if that's too hard for you to be able to distinguish. Sunny praised Kylie's products and gave kudos to her accomplishments, to address her in any manner that would even suggest she's some kind of jealous hater is beyond foolish. Meghan you want to cite all of the celebrity children who couldn't do what Kylie did? Well guarantee you that there are MILLIONS of people around the world that have the creativity and drive as Kylie (maybe even more) and haven't even sniffed the opportunities that Kylie has had by virtue of her circumstance.

Being self-made is what makes America the land of opportunity. It's toted as the place where you can have nothing and turn it into something great. Is Kylie Jenner an example of the American dream? Because if she isn't what the American dream represents, then she isn't self-made. Miss Patriot on the right should have known that but she was too caught up in feeling personally offended because she's one of those that started on third base. Don't worry, us average people don't tend to feel sorry for those who are born into this world with a leg up on life.

Or in Whoopi's scenario, there's a third option, you can always bring up your father so that people can be reminded of why you should be relevant (ahem Meghan).

• Love 17

Meghan needs to look up the definition for Chick-lit because when I hear the term Chick-lit to describe a book.. I'm thinking Bridget Jones Diary, Confessions of a Shopaholic, even Sex and the City... but Luckiest Girl Alive doesn't sound like a Chick-lit book to me based on the plot-line of the book.  It sounds more like a Gone Girl type of book than a Shopaholic type of book to me.. 

• Love 10
3 minutes ago, JAYJAY1979 said:

Meghan needs to look up the definition for Chick-lit because when I hear the term Chick-lit to describe a book.. I'm thinking Bridget Jones Diary, Confessions of a Shopaholic, even Sex and the City... but Luckiest Girl Alive doesn't sound like a Chick-lit book to me based on the plot-line of the book.  It sounds more like a Gone Girl type of book than a Shopaholic type of book to me.. 

Luckiest Girl Alive is most definitely not chick lit.  Meghan probably thinks female author equals chick lit.

• Love 10

All-American, red state, gun loving Meghan McCain thinks we should give “balls and strikes” to a “president” who lies like he breathes and commits daily civil liberties violations and conflicts of interest. 

Forgive me, but that’s not how it works.

• Love 22
6 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

Miss Patriot on the right should have known that but she was too caught up in feeling personally offended because she's one of those that started on third base.

She isn't happy unless she can play the victim.  Even if that victimhood is growing up in a privileged family.  Oh, the humanity!

• Love 16
13 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Oh, the humanity!

Not to mention The HORROR!

21 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

She's simply correcting the fact that Kylie Jenner is not self-made. That doesn't mean that she didn't work hard for what she's built up and you're of small mind if that's too hard for you to be able to distinguish. Sunny praised Kylie's products and gave kudos to her accomplishments, to address her in any manner that would even suggest she's some kind of jealous hater is beyond foolish.

Please forgive me--regarding the bolded--just need clarification; the"you're" is referring to Meghan, correct? That she was being small-minded?

10 minutes ago, Haleth said:

She isn't happy unless she can play the victim.  Even if that victimhood is growing up in a privileged family.  Oh, the humanity!

Loved her mother's advice to never depend on a man (when they were talking about money and private bank accounts).  Wisdom so easily given from a very wealthy woman from birth.  

• Love 17
2 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Not to mention The HORROR!

Please forgive me--regarding the bolded--just need clarification; the"you're" is referring to Meghan, correct? That she was being small-minded?

Yes, Meghan AND Whoopi. I don't remember much of what Sara and Joy said this segment because it was dominated by Whoopi and Meghan taking issue with Sunny's comments. I find both women to be quite small minded on a lot of things actually. I think that intellectual growth has to stem from an open mindedness to walk into any conversation and assume as the listener, that the speaker has something important to say. When Whoopi and Meghan are passionate about something, they immediately stop listening when they realize that the speaker is saying something contrary to their point of view and instead they rebuttal points that they've created in their mind (based on their misinterpretation) rather than actually argue what was actually said.

Whoopi totally contradicted herself in trying to defend her 'self-made' argument. She denied being self-made because she took advantage of opportunities given to her but then later called herself self-made because she didn't receive monetary assistance along her journey to success. Meghan was arguing from a space of personal affront. She said nothing that debunked Sunny's notion of self-made, only tried to enforce (using herself of course) that being born into privilege is not easy and at points, dared to suggest that it's actually harder than coming from no privilege...all the while acknowledging that she has been privileged. Just a bunch of nonsense talking points that all contradicted each other. I'm glad Sunny didn't back down. Not her fault that they aren't smart enough to track a conversation and the points being made. Meghan is often defensive because she must be aware of how she comes across but she chooses to believe that it's all of us that's misunderstanding her words and behaviour. I've lost track of the amount of times something general was said and she responded with making it her platform to deny HER being like that when no one explicitly accused her of such.

• Love 14
3 hours ago, blondiec0332 said:

On a spectrum, I would actually argue that Kylie is more self-made than Kim. Kim's notoriety was built on a privileged social circle from childhood that was in thanks to her father, and then that lifestyle continued in thanks to her step-father. She has been surrounded by a lifestyle and opportunities to be part of the world she's in today. She became known for being Paris Hilton's sidekick. Then it was her sidekick. Kim was the catalyst for the family's mega popularity today and plays a big part in the opportunities afforded to Kylie BUT it was Kris that was really the mastermind behind Kim's image in the public eye throughout the years. Kim and her sisters made it no secret that Kim was virtually Kris' puppet. She showed up for pap shots, she took endorsements that Kris negotiated, she showed up to the paid appearances. What made it work is that Kim is a hustler. She wanted that life that Kris was working hard to get and so she also capitalized the opportunities afforded to her. As much attention Kylie has gotten for her looks and procedures, I think she's at least equally known for her business and that's something that I don't think any of her siblings outside of Kendall can say. Her other sisters have slapped their names onto so many products but Kylie has been far more selective and it appears that she has far more say in her business dealings than Kris. Kim seems to now be at that stage where she's making more creative decisions on her own when it comes to business, but Kim spent a LONG time under her mother's thumb.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, Bronzedog said:

Whoopie’s daughter was born on third base and dropped the ball.

Whoopi's daughter may have been born on third base, but Whoopi had to pick her up and continue push her everywhere for the rest of her life.

• Love 19
1 hour ago, Wings said:

I watched today, FFing through the self made millionaire part.  Kris Jenner clearly set up her daughters business, Jesus.  With her own modeling money but the success is due to the Kardashian empire.  

I have decided not to get irritated with MM anymore because she is only reciting what all Trump supporters believe.  I already know what they think.  

I am being entertained watching facial expressions.  The control booth is doing a stellar job catching both Joy and MM's reactions.  Kudos. 

Joy irritates the fuck out of MM when she smiles and glances at Whoopie.   She is having more cup clutching moments as of late as the tension on the panel builds.  It is delicious!

My favorite!  I wrote about it either last week or the week before.  I live for shit like that.  LOL

• Love 9
56 minutes ago, TV Diva Queen said:

My favorite!  I wrote about it either last week or the week before.  I live for shit like that.  LOL

Joy gets under Meghan's skin without even trying.  Meghan tries to get under Joy's skin and fails.  Meghan is like an annoying gnat Joy swats away.

• Love 18

Just when i thought Whoopi had retired her valley girl voice, this week it's back with a vengeance. I really want someone on the panel to do an angry black woman voice.... (won't happen). Also, whoopi may have been "self-made" at one time, but she was also "self-unmade" a couple times.

• Love 6
6 minutes ago, pachebo said:

Just when i thought Whoopi had retired her valley girl voice, this week it's back with a vengeance. I really want someone on the panel to do an angry black woman voice.... (won't happen). Also, whoopi may have been "self-made" at one time, but she was also "self-unmade" a couple times.

Ha!  Good point!

• Love 1
(edited)

You've all spoken about Whoopi's incoherency beautifully. I have nothing much more to add except that I just have to find it funny now. She gets so worked up and focused on being "right" and "winning" the argument that she talks herself in circles, argues against herself and has to resort to beginning sentences like: "Here's the thing..." to try and gain some kind of standing above everyone else. You can tell during her lifetime people have told her she is "wise old Whoopi" or something and she truly believes it. But she's just hilariously incoherent most of the time. Even when I agree with her, I'm thinking: "Can't we have someone more lucid making these points?" When she got to the point she was arguing Kylie Jenner was self-made but she, Whoopi, was not, I just burst out laughing. Anything to try and seem like the smartest one at the table. It's quite sad really.

3 hours ago, Haleth said:

I've noticed many people in positions of privilege tend to love to play the victim, whatever position of privilege that is. They'd fall apart if they had to walk in the shoes of someone else. Salman Rushdie once put it really well when talking about the religious bigot: "while they’re denying people their rights, they claim that their rights are being denied. While they are persecuting people, they claim to be persecuted. While they are behaving colossally offensively, they claim to be the offended party. It's upside-down world."

Edited by MelP
Bad punctuation.
  • Love 23
23 minutes ago, RHJunkie said:

Whoopi totally contradicted herself in trying to defend her 'self-made' argument. She denied being self-made because she took advantage of opportunities given to her but then later called herself self-made because she didn't receive monetary assistance along her journey to success.

HUZZAH !!!                  My thought on being self-made would be how many doors would automatically open to someone starting a business--how many would accept their phone calls.  Oprah?  No one.    Bill Gates?  Nope.   Kylie Jenner?   I cannot think of anyone who wouldn't take her phone call or set up a meeting immediately.  That doesn't seem self-made. 

• Love 15
5 hours ago, pachebo said:

Re: Wednesday's show. Not a fan of DLH... i sorta think he is racist (although give him a pass based on his experience as an 8 year old)... But why was he wearing a hat that looked shit-stained, and a uniform that made him look like a bad Sheriff David Clark impersonator? Also, when you are promoting "your" book and it was co-written, why not mention the other writer?

Most if not all celebrities with books on this show have co-writers or ghost writers.  They are rarely mentioned..   I don't think DLH is racist in that he doesn't believe other races are inferior/superior or treats people negatively because of race.   He's a comedian who does use race as a subject of comedy, which in today's climate can be labeled offensive, even though the point of the joke was to point out injustice.  Now I agree 100% regarding his look.   The weird hats are pretty much his thing.  

Re:  self-made - The reason why a lot of people have a hard time calling her self-made is that it seems that most of her contribution to her business is her name and marketing.  She did not design her cosmetics line from scratch, mixing formulas in her basement.  Someone likely came to her with an existing product and she partnered by lending her brand to it.  Kind of like George Foreman and the George Foreman grill.  It's possible she's involved or a decision maker in day to day operations of her business, but not likely.  This is how she differs from other self-made people like Oprah, or Bill Gates.    But being the figurehead of a $900 million business is still impressive.  

• Love 8