Type keyword(s) to search

"The View": Week Of 7/09/2018

Jaded
  • Start Topic

1 hour ago, Coffeewinewater said:

How did the whole conversation become about MM again struggling to decide to have children?  I thought that huge dilemma had been decided when MM said months ago she would not have children. 

I find it unusual (though not impossible) that a woman of Meghan's age would not yet know if she wants kids or not. It leads me to believe that she's not being entirely honest about where her heads at and likely because her reasons may contradict the  conservative identity that she has attached herself to.  I haven't seen the segment but if she's making references that show indecisiveness and allude to the difficulty of being a mother and having a career (specifically in politics), then my first inclination is to think that Meghan would probably be more open to wanting a child if it wouldn't be such a disruption to her career aspirations and current lifestyle. I can certainly believe that there is one set of judgement reserved for a woman that says 'I don't want kids because I'm not maternal and don't think I'd have patience for it' and then an entire set (and much larger) set of judgements for a woman that says 'I wouldn't mind a kid or two but truthfully, having a child isn't worth compromising as much as I would need to compromise in order to have one'. And I don't say this as any shade to Meghan but in somewhat of a defense of her, I can see a plausible scenario where she would interchangeably talk about deciding whether she wants kids and then talk about not wanting kids.

• Love 3
13 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

Oh yes she did.  She said if she were to have a baby it would have to be between election cycles.

she really thinks highly of herself.  this was the nail in the coffin for my hate for her.  I'm honestly speechless.  

• Love 13
12 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I was listening to her say it and I'm thinking do you really think anyone would notice if you took time off from "politics".  It's not like her dad is running again.  So what exactly would she be doing during an election year that would require her to not be able to have a child?

Oh, but she feels so exponentially (her big word today) important in the political world that the distraction of a baby would rob the world of her expertise!

• Love 18
36 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

I was listening to her say it and I'm thinking do you really think anyone would notice if you took time off from "politics".  It's not like her dad is running again.  So what exactly would she be doing during an election year that would require her to not be able to have a child?

Not a G** Damn Thing!

Maybe she should be pregnant for the next RNC Convention.  This way her baby can also say "I've been in politics my whole life"  {even though you weren't}

• Love 24
1 hour ago, blondiec0332 said:

Oh yes she did.  She said if she were to have a baby it would have to be between election cycles.

why?  is she running for office?  running someone's campaign?  And does she realize that the older you get, the harder it is to TIME having a baby?   pregnancies don't occur at the exact time you want, and babies aren't always going to be born when they're scheduled.  

It's just my opinion, but, as a woman gets closer to 35, she needs to do a realistic appraisal of whether or not she wants kids.  meghan is 33, right?  you can't be 35 or 37 and still be on the fence, saying maybe someday I'll decide to have kids.  each year, fertility goes down and risk goes up.   She's fairly recently married.  Did they have a discussion about kids?  When you marry after age 30, it seems like you need to have figured that out.  

And I'm not someone who says you have to have kids early.  I had my kids when I was between 30-35.  Meghan goes on a tv show and talks about stuff. that's her job.  Election cycle or not, she has the same job.  If there was ever a job that was perfectly suited for pregnancy, it's one where you go in for an hour or two 4 days a week.  

• Love 9

She's a pundint, dammit!  She has to be there to explain things to us.

Either the people in charge are incompetent or they don't give a fuck.

I don't think it's an either/or situation.

1 hour ago, bannana said:

Whoopi managed to get a another crack in about Sunny's chickens today.

Yeah, but she winked when she said it, so this was meant to be playful.

2 hours ago, Tunia said:

Had she also pulled out "Midnight in the Garden of Good and Evil", she would have hit my trifecta! 

Love, love that book!  I so want to visit Savannah some day.

About Serena Williams, I don't know the context of her quote, maybe she was referring to the loss of her ranking while on leave, but I think she could have been talking about how difficult the pregnancy was and how it took a serious toll on her, so if she decided to have another child it might mean the end of her career. 

• Love 10
3 hours ago, Haleth said:

So Meghan is excusing and applauding the administration for taking its time reuniting families?  Is she ignoring the fact that it was totally unncessary to begin with?  She latched on to the fact that a number of children have been withheld due to questions about parentage, but this occurred (only) a handful of times during the Obama admin.  I'm not sure if the Trump spokesperson was referring to this or if he is reusing the excuse for the current abhorant policy.  Heartless.

Is she not aware that women candidates do this all the time?

the trump spokeperson was confounding the issue with "unaccompanied minors" - those are kids, usually 12 or older, who came to this country without their parents.  Yes, we are doing them a favor by keeping them here.  

But the families are a different story  these kids didn't COME as "unaccompanied minors", we MADE them "unaccompanied"   by taking them away from their parents.    Meghan can say we need to take our time reuniting families, but remember, some of these kids are 5 and younger.  Each DAY they are separated from their parents is a trauma.  A few months, to an adult, is a blip.  but to a toddler, a few months is a significant percentage of what you've lived so far.   

Meghan is just regurgitating the GOP line about how they are right.   I'm not even sure she believes it herself. 

• Love 15
2 minutes ago, backformore said:

Meghan is just regurgitating the GOP line about how they are right.   I'm not even sure she believes it herself. 

I've said before she is defending the indefensible.  And it shows.  She talks about the optics or the message.  She completely avoids condemning the actions the administration has taken with these children.  

• Love 11
2 hours ago, Coffeewinewater said:

I agree we can't give up. It just feels harder some days but too right we must push foward.  

On a positive note,  I have loved all the books the ladies have recommended.  Great ideas. I'd love if they'd do it even after summer, maybe once a month.  

I read one of Joys books last year and really enjoyed it. 

I am totally with Joy about her the utter despondency about what's going on . My DVR still tapes Anderson,  Tapper  , O'Donnell  Zakaria but I  wind up most days only watching  Deadline WH and a little of Morning Joe. I think it's especially hard on us older folks who lived through the battles for human rights only to realize it's going backwards and unchanged for people of color .

MM is full of crap even implying the reason for separating children from parents because of them possibility of sex trafficking. 

I have a serious question for her , who will be sending her out on the " campaign trail" ?    She's not exactly in the same position of so many hard working mothers who get it done , including pumping before and during work.  Here's a revelation for your privedged ass,  New Zealand's 37 year Prime Minister and  new mother Jacinda Arden.  If she can run a country I'm sure MM can have pod casting husband tend their baby while she is "in politics" 

MM is shocked about hate crimes? Who does she think unleashed and gave permission to the racist bottom feeders 

• Love 23

Joy my baby! Thank you honey! Best dead writers books ever.....she picked some fabulous books, I loved all of them, and I adore that she gave the entire audience copies of these wonderful books.  Are they giving away books every day? 

• Love 8
20 minutes ago, athousandclowns said:

I read one of Joys books last year and really enjoyed it. 

I am totally with Joy about her the utter despondency about what's going on . My DVR still tapes Anderson,  Tapper  , O'Donnell  Zakaria but I  wind up most days only watching  Deadline WH and a little of Morning Joe. I think it's especially hard on us older folks who lived through the battles for human rights only to realize it's going backwards and unchanged for people of color .

MM is full of crap even implying the reason for separating children from parents because of them possibility of sex trafficking. 

I have a serious question for her , who will be sending her out on the " campaign trail" ?    She's not exactly in the same position of so many hard working mothers who get it done , including pumping before and during work.  Here's a revelation for your privedged ass,  New Zealand's 37 year Prime Minister and  new mother Jacinda Arden.  If she can run a country I'm sure MM can have pod casting husband tend their baby while she is "in politics" 

MM is shocked about hate crimes? Who does she think unleashed and gave permission to the racist bottom feeders 

Yeah, my dvr is full of msnbc and cnn shows that I can't get through everyday.   Even Nicole Wallace  whom I love (didn't care for on the view).  I make sure to watch the view, only  because I have you all here, and enjoy the smart comments by you all.  MM isn't taking my show from me. Lol.

• Love 12

Meh-gan doesn't give a shit about those poor kids. So, shut it, MM! And I don't give a damn if she ever has kids!  She doesn't have a career - so, what bullshit was that?

I felt sad when D.L. Hugely was on. I'm surprised Sunny isn't more tightly wound. She must worry about her kids constantly :(

I loved Joy's book picks. I'll have to re-read 'Bonfire of the Vanities' - I recently read an article, explaining some of the background. I didn't really 'get' it the first time around - second time's (hopefully) the charm!

• Love 10
(edited)
12 minutes ago, fishsanwitt said:

Meh-gan doesn't give a shit about those poor kids. So, shut it, MM! And I don't give a damn if she ever has kids!  She doesn't have a career - so, what bullshit was that?

I felt sad when D.L. Hugely was on. I'm surprised Sunny isn't more tightly wound. She must worry about her kids constantly :(

I loved Joy's book picks. I'll have to re-read 'Bonfire of the Vanities' - I recently read an article, explaining some of the background. I didn't really 'get' it the first time around - second time's (hopefully) the charm!

D.L Hugely had me in tears, when he recounted that harrowing story about his first encounter with a police officer,  as a youth, in LA. Sadly, it is very common for Black men. At least, he made it out alive.  Plus, the LAPD was always notorious for it's racism and corruption, when it came to the Black community.  

I too loved Joy's books and I intend to read them. I read the Bonfire of the Vanities, in High School.  I will reread it. I have so much books to read. It is insane.  

Edited by Apprentice79
  • Love 10
9 minutes ago, Apprentice79 said:

I too loved Joy's books and I intend to read them. I read the Bonfire of the Vanities, in High School.  I will reread it. I have so much books to read. It is insane.  

I reserved The Plot Against America at the library.  I had never heard of it until today.

• Love 6

I loved Joy's book picks.. I've owned Catcher in the Rye since I was 18.. but put a hold request at my public library for 'The Plot Against America'.  I am curious to see what Meghan's picks will be tomorrow... I'm going to guess it will be either super political/nationalistic.. or it will be something rom com/chick lit.  Only time will tell.

I think the show realizes Meghan can't sit out for every segment since she can't get a handle on  her emotions.

• Love 4
(edited)

I agree with and was very interested and disheartened to hear what DL Hughley was talking about. There was just one issue that slightly marred it for me and it was his including trans people in the beginning in a kind of: "if everyone accepts them why do we still have problems". That just left a bit of a bad taste in my mouth. It's also not true that everyone accepts trans people now, there's a hell of a lot of problems still to be fixed for those in that community too, and the stories you will hear from trans people about what they go through will horrify you as much as what the black community goes through. Not every trans person has the privilege of Caitlyn Jenner.

This isn't to take anything away from his stories or message though. I am glad people are pointing out these problems with the police and I enjoyed his comeback to Sunny when she pointed out: "not all police are bad though". I agree with him, we don't need to say that. Sunny wasn't doing it for this reason, I'm sure, but a lot of times people say stuff like that and the conversation gets so caught up in everyone trying to cover themselves in not saying all police are bad that the real issues are lost. It happens the same when people talk about foreign policy or similar and then get all caught up in trying to one up each other about how much they love the military.

I just don't like it when one marginalised group uses another to make a point like the way he did in the beginning and it smacked a little bit of saying how weird trans people are so if they can be treated well, of course black people should.

Loved listening to Joy's book recommendations. She speaks so naturally and passionately about the books she chose. I'm not even interested in The Catcher in the Rye or The Bonfire of the Vanities but I can listen to her rave about them all day. She would've been a great teacher, you can tell. The Plot Against America sounds really interesting though.

Edited by MelP
Missed a "so".
  • Love 5
5 hours ago, bannana said:

Whoopi managed to get a another crack in about Sunny's chickens today.

How would Whoopi feel if Sunny started making unkind comments about Whoopi's beloved cat?   Sunny is probably too nice--and doesn't have the guts.

• Love 9
2 hours ago, fishsanwitt said:

I recently read an article, explaining some of the background. I didn't really 'get' it the first time around - second time's (hopefully) the charm!

So many books we read or were assigned in school (no matter what level) are SO DIFFERENT when we read them as mature adults.

• Love 16

I wonder, as well, why MM never really has anything to say about Puerto Rico when her FIL and husband are PR's descendants. According to Wiki her FIL grew up for a time in his family's native island of PR as a child, and was actually a Colonel in the army after 30 years. But seems MM is silent on all things PR.

• Love 15
28 minutes ago, maggiemae said:

I wonder, as well, why MM never really has anything to say about Puerto Rico when her FIL and husband are PR's descendants. According to Wiki her FIL grew up for a time in his family's native island of PR as a child, and was actually a Colonel in the army after 30 years. But seems MM is silent on all things PR.

What a surprise!!!  Gutless wonders reign supreme!!!

• Love 9

Noted that right after the racist video of the man berating the lady wearing a PR shirt, MM made sure they discussed the story about the elderly Mexican man hit by a brick.  Whoopi was moving on to a different picture to discuss a new topic, and MM made them go the the story, I’m sure because the perpetrator was presumed to be Black.   Horrible story regardless of the race of the perpetrator.  MM generally avoids racial discussions but has no problem doing so if the perpetrator is not white.   

It it also bothers me that they rarely if ever have MM sit on interviews of guests that discuss discrimination based on race or sexual orientation.  Like producers are afraid she will offend.  They don’t seem to exclude the other cohosts from certain types of interviews.  Just her.   

• Love 11
(edited)
17 minutes ago, After7Only said:

It it also bothers me that they rarely if ever have MM sit on interviews of guests that discuss discrimination based on race or sexual orientation.  Like producers are afraid she will offend.  They don’t seem to exclude the other cohosts from certain types of interviews.  Just her.   

I think that's because they know she will have nothing of value to add to the conversation. The notes on her blue cards don't help her to keep up with serious interviews, except when the person interviewed is complimenting her father.

Edited by Kenz
  • Love 11
22 minutes ago, After7Only said:

There might be guests who state their preferences as to who will interview them.  Meghan has been pretty confrontational with guests whose views don't align with hers.  Not every guest wants to put up with that. 

• Love 16
(edited)
10 hours ago, maggiemae said:

The only time she ever really talked about PR was when Sunny was questioning Bethany Frankel's involvement.  Of course Meghan would defend the reality star.

Meghan won't criticize the delayed aid to PR because her father-in-law works for Trump and her husband defends Trump.  If they don't care about PR why would Meghan?

Edited by blondiec0332
  • Love 5
9 hours ago, After7Only said:

Noted that right after the racist video of the man berating the lady wearing a PR shirt, MM made sure they discussed the story about the elderly Mexican man hit by a brick.  Whoopi was moving on to a different picture to discuss a new topic, and MM made them go the the story, I’m sure because the perpetrator was presumed to be Black.   Horrible story regardless of the race of the perpetrator.  MM generally avoids racial discussions but has no problem doing so if the perpetrator is not white.   

Maybe the show learned its lesson after the debacle that was the interview that Born Again Barbie did with Danny Pintauro. That was the most insincere, awkward and condescending interview I've ever seen.

8 hours ago, Kenz said:

I think that's because they know she will have nothing of value to add to the conversation. The notes on her blue cards don't help her to keep up with serious interviews, except when the person interviewed is complimenting her father.

See above.

20 minutes ago, blondiec0332 said:

The only time she ever really talked about PR was when Sunny was questioning Bethany Frankel's involvement.  Of course Meghan would defend the reality star.

Meghan won't criticize the delayed aid to PR because her father works for Trump and her husband defends Trump.  If they don't care about PR why would Meghan?

I think you mean her father-in-law. Because members of Congress don't work for the president. Even if he thinks they do.

• Love 7
8 minutes ago, GHScorpiosRule said:

Maybe the show learned its lesson after the debacle that was the interview that Born Again Barbie did with Danny Pintauro. That was the most insincere, awkward and condescending interview I've ever seen.

See above.

I think you mean her father-in-law. Because members of Congress don't work for the president. Even if he thinks they do.

Fixed it.

• Love 1
14 hours ago, Former Nun said:

So many books we read or were assigned in school (no matter what level) are SO DIFFERENT when we read them as mature adults.

Right???  I'd like to get a hold of my high school's required reading list from the early 80's and re-read (or read, LOL) these books again.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, backformore said:

There might be guests who state their preferences as to who will interview them.  Meghan has been pretty confrontational with guests whose views don't align with hers.  Not every guest wants to put up with that. 

Interesting possibility.  Doubt that guests like  DL or Michael Eric Dyson would have made the request to exclude her.  Both are well versed with arguing far more skilled conservatives than her.   Just baffles me why they employ a person that they either don’t trust in certain interview situations or who guests refuse to work with.   

• Love 4
1 hour ago, TV Diva Queen said:

Right???  I'd like to get a hold of my high school's required reading list from the early 80's and re-read (or read, LOL) these books again.  

I did that with my high school reading list from the 90s...fell in love all over again with To Kill a mockingbird and A Tree grows in Brooklyn.

I dont think the guests can dictate who interviews them...unless that had changed over the last few years.  I recall a decade ago Barry Manilow wouldn't go on the View if Bitsy was going to be in on the interview and Babs said 'see ya' and she explained that guests cant dictate who interviews them, etc.

I do think MM needs to sit in because how else does someone become educated and not so insulated?

• Love 4
1 hour ago, After7Only said:

Just baffles me why they employ a person that they either don’t trust in certain interview situations or who guests refuse to work with.   

Love her or hate her (I definitely fall in the latter category), MM creates buzz when she argues with Joy, Sunny or Whoopi.  That's why the show hired her.

Just now, JAYJAY1979 said:

I did that with my high school reading list from the 90s...fell in love all over again with To Kill a mockingbird and A Tree grows in Brooklyn.

Same here, I actually appreciated them more now than in high school.  But I hated Wuthering Heights on the re-read.  Definitely a book for teenagers.

• Love 3
2 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Love her or hate her (I definitely fall in the latter category), MM creates buzz when she argues with Joy, Sunny or Whoopi.  That's why the show hired her.

Same here, I actually appreciated them more now than in high school.  But I hated Wuthering Heights on the re-read.  Definitely a book for teenagers.

Wuthering heights was banned in my high school, yet we could read The Color Purple and Of Mice and Men.  Boggled the mind.

So as an adult..read it in one day...haunting and odd.  Thank gosh for libraries:) 

• Love 2
(edited)
11 hours ago, After7Only said:

I definitely think it's intentional on the show's part to exclude Meghan from certain segments, especially when the guest is outspoken on things like racism and the Trump administration. I certainly cannot imagine that D. L. Hugley would bite his tongue had Meghan sat with them during his segment or kiss her ass just because of the family she comes from.

Edited by Alexis2291
  • Love 9

Here goes Meghan again, using the "Trump Derangement Syndrome" argument to undermine the points all the ladies are making at the table. And thank you, Sunny, for pointing out that the amount our allies pay towards NATO is based on the size of their economies, not because they want the U.S. to foot the bill. 

• Love 18
(edited)
33 minutes ago, sugarbaker design said:

Ugh.  Ditto. Such self absorbed, unpleasant characters. 

Meghan, it's called a progressive payment scale.  Countries pay what they can afford. It's like taxes-- 2% for an economy as big as ours is much less onerous than it is for a country like Latvia.  It's the same reason why there are sliding income tax brackets. 

Edited by Haleth
  • Love 16
(edited)
13 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Meghan, it's called a progressive payment scale.  Countries pay what they can afford. It's like taxes-- 2% for an economy as big as ours is much less onerous than it is for a country like Latvia.  

Why was Sara not understanding that as well? Was she trying to side with MM  or did she really not understand?

I love Sunny but damn the word  secret drove me up the wall.

STFU MM and Whoopie. Sunny is right about that Jenner girl.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 9
1 minute ago, Coffeewinewater said:

Why was Sara not understanding that as well? Was she trying to side with MM  or did she really not understand?

Idk if Sara is truly that naive or if she just likes staying in the good graces of her fellow co-hosts. Maybe a combination of both.

• Love 5

I believe that Sara is on the panel to appeal to the non-political demographic. She makes the show more accessible to those who really aren't that educated in the political going ons. I like her, but i definitely don't see her doing hard news. Can we please give her a break?

• Love 5
(edited)
6 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

I believe that Sara is on the panel to appeal to the non-political demographic. She makes the show more accessible to those who really aren't that educated in the political going ons. I like her, but i definitely don't see her doing hard news. Can we please give her a break?

No. I can't give Sara a break because she was spreading lies just like Trump and MM.

Eta. Sorry I'm not sure if you mean a pass or a break off the show. Lol.  Anyway sorry if I came off aggressive towards you. 

It just annoyes  me that lies are just passed off as truth. No questions asked. Trust me  I know plenty of people that will believe Sara MM and Trump and not bother looking up the facts.

Edited by Coffeewinewater
  • Love 24
22 minutes ago, Haleth said:

Meghan, it's called a progressive payment scale.  Countries pay what they can afford. It's like taxes-- 2% for an economy as big as ours is much less onerous than it is for a country like Latvia.  It's the same reason why there are sliding income tax brackets. 

I don’t understand why these women are not better informed.  The subject was discussed on news shows last night.  I guess The Bachelorette didn’t cover this!

• Love 10
7 minutes ago, rickhurst3186 said:

I actually like Sara, she's great for the more light-hearted topics but she can be incredibly naive and misinformed on the more serious subjects. 

• Love 12