Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Start Topic

Netflix and the network that any of the regulars are contracted too will have to agree before they'll get to appear. 

Jared's contracted to The CW which is in partnership with Warner Bros who owns GG's rights. So Jared should be ok. However, Liza's signed to ABC for How to Get Away with Murder. Danny Strong is huge and busiest man with Empire. Matt Czuchry is signed to CBS, which also in partner with Warner Bros, so he should be ok.

Then the fandom will have a cow. LOL

And Netflix will EXPLODE!!  :)   So happy about this as most everyone is too.  I bet most people will binge it right?  I am going to be good and take my time and savor the episodes. 

That's right ASP, screw the CW, you're getting your final four words!

Is it wrong that I am screaming with joy a bit inside after reading the news?  I hope it all works out, and they can get everyone back who is available to come back.  My only sadness comes from knowing that Richard won't be there, but hopefully he will get a nice tribute.   

Edited by txhorns79
  • Love 4
What's this about final four words?

ASP said she had the final four words of the series written out, but never got to use them because she wasn't associated with the show during its final season.  I could be wrong, but I don't believe she ever revealed what those words were to the general public. 

• Love 1

I hope Chris comes back. not as a love interest though, just as Lorelai's old friend and Rory's father.

I've heard ASP hasn't watched the seventh season. Will she just disregard it? I think it would be sloppy if she decided to do that, but I wouldn't put it past her.

She has said for a long time that when she started the series, she knew what the final four words would be; and of course had no idea if the show would even last a season, so whatever the words are, they reflect a theme she had in mind from the start.  Many have posted guesses here and on TWoP, but I just want to know what Amy intended! 

• Love 1

This is so incredibly exciting!! Cannot wait!! 

I remember reading somewhere or I saw it while watching the ATX Reunion video that when they asked Lauren if she knew what the final words were she said she didn't and doesn't want to ever know unless she was actually saying them in some sort of movie or whatever. So YAY!! I cannot wait!

• Love 1

Netflix and the network that any of the regulars are contracted too will have to agree before they'll get to appear. 

Jared's contracted to The CW which is in partnership with Warner Bros who owns GG's rights. So Jared should be ok. However, Liza's signed to ABC for How to Get Away with Murder. Danny Strong is huge and busiest man with Empire. Matt Czuchry is signed to CBS, which also in partner with Warner Bros, so he should be ok.

I think whether or not certain supporting characters will appear depends on the availability of the actors who play them and the time of the year that production starts.  At least moreso then what networks they appear on. My guess would be that at the earliest they'll start production is in the late spring or whenever the Stars Hollow set is available. Didn't the show Pretty Little Liars use the set? Anyone know when that show normally begins and ends production on its seasons and if they still use the set? Most networks shows tend to finish up their seasons in the the Spring as well so that would free up actors like Liza and Jared.

Milo will be attending a Wizard World comic con this weekend. I'm sure his fans will be asking about the GG mini series and his possible involvement. I have a feeling that he will act like he doesn't know anything about it and hasn't been contacted but thinks it is a good idea. 

Milo will be attending a Wizard World comic con this weekend. I'm sure his fans will be asking about the GG mini series and his possible involvement. I have a feeling that he will act like he doesn't know anything about it and hasn't been contacted but thinks it is a good idea.

Scott Patterson specifically said in a tweet today that he was not allowed to comment, so I think you're right. According to the article breaking the news yesterday, the actors are all "in negotiation" so I'm guessing they're not allowed to say anything while that is ongoing.

SP was tweeting up a storm over the weekend, before the news broke, answering all sorts fan questions and requests for shout-outs. It seemed random when it started, but now I'm thinking it was't!  :-)

• Love 1

It's clear that Amy only created her out of necessity - to stall the Luke / Lorelei wedding because she didn't know how many more seasons she would have to write.

Hopefully, now that she knows exactly how much screen time she has to write for, there won't be any fat. April was indigestible fat.

Each of the 4 episodes will take place in a different season of one year. So  for example 1st episode is summer, the 2nd next fall, 3rd winter, then 4th spring. 

Gilmore Girls Revival's 4-Episode Narrative Twist Revealed

Gilmore Girls‘ unorthodox revival structure is about to make a whole lot more sense.

As we reported last week, Netflix is reviving Amy Sherman-Palladino’s beloved dramedy via four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies — a relatively unusual format for a TV continuation.

Well, according to insiders, each episode will represent a different season over the course of one calendar year. In other words, there will be a fall chapter, a winter chapter, a spring chapter and a summer chapter.

Pretty genius, right? 

AS-P and exec producer Daniel Palladino (AKA Team Palladino) will write and direct the entire revival, which will be set in the present day (or roughly eight years after the series ended). Negotiations with the show’s primary cast — Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, Kelly Bishop and Scott Patterson — are said to be underway.

I'm very happy for all of you.  To someone like me who wishes her certain favourite shows would get revived I know that this is a dream come true.  The GG fan community here was so welcoming and nice to me even though I only discovered the show in 2014.  Very happy for you guys.   Excited for the revival.  TV can be an amazing medium these days.

Speaking of things which might affect the revival: Milo Ventimiglia's been cast as the lead in a pilot for a new NBC show.

It's only a pilot, which means it may or may not go into production as a series. If it does go to series they usually don't start filming until mid-summer. His contract with NBC could allow him to also film GG as well as movies or tv show guest spots prior to filming the series. 

I don't expect some characters, like Jess, to be in too many scenes in the Netflix GG series, so he can work it out if need be. 

Milo has a new show coming; Liza, Matt and Melissa have ongoing TV shows. This is going to have to be a quick shoot if they want to include these characters (I doubt Melissa will be in it anyway).

Also, Alexis is pregnant and Lauren is starting production for a new film soon as well. I wonder how Alexis' pregnancy will effect it. Hope they don't have to hide her pregnancy. That kind of stuff is always painfully obvious on-screen.

It's only a pilot, which means it may or may not go into production as a series. If it does go to series they usually don't start filming until mid-summer. His contract with NBC could allow him to also film GG as well as movies or tv show guest spots prior to filming the series. 

I don't expect some characters, like Jess, to be in too many scenes in the Netflix GG series, so he can work it out if need be. 

When you put it like that, it doesn't sound so terrible, especially when compared to the other major characters who are played by actors tied up in other projects:

Milo has a new show coming; Liza, Matt and Melissa have ongoing TV shows. This is going to have to be a quick shoot if they want to include these characters (I doubt Melissa will be in it anyway).

Also, Alexis is pregnant and Lauren is starting production for a new film soon as well. I wonder how Alexis' pregnancy will effect it. Hope they don't have to hide her pregnancy. That kind of stuff is always painfully obvious on-screen.

Lauren's starting a new film, Milo has a pilot, Liza's a series regular on HTGAWM, Melissa's a big-time movie star and also a series lead on Mike and Molly, Matt's a regular on The Good Wife, Jared Padalecki's a lead on Supernatural, Danny Strong's screenwriting career is on fire and he's a co-showrunner for Empire, Sean Gunn's working on Guardians of the Galaxy 2...

To be fair, it seems like Lane, Luke, Lorelai and Emily's actors are all free. Assuming that Alexis Bledel either is not pregnant or pregnant and that they can work around it, really, that's all they need. It would be nice to have Jess, Logan, and Dean back, but they're not strictly necessary (unless one of them is the guy ASP wants Rory to end up with, I suppose). Dean disappeared from the show in Season 5. Jess' last episode in the show provided a nice amount of closure. It's plausible that Logan could appear in Rory's life, via her grandparents' connection to the Huntzbergers, but it's plausible that he would keep his distance. Paris and Doyle would be nice to have, but I don't view them as indispensable to the revival.

Do we even know when this starts filming?  All of the existing situations surrounding commitments might be a moot point by then.

This article says that the plan is to start production in early 2016. I don't know whether Alexis Bledel's pregnancy would throw a spanner in the works to the point where they would move everything around.

There has been no confirmation or denial from Alexis' reps as to the pregnancy. Assuming Alexis Bledel is pregnant, she might have been sufficiently advanced in her pregnancy for them to feel comfortable telling family and friends (which is presumably how the rumour got out), meaning she was out of the first trimester. So assuming she's about four months into her pregnancy, that would put the birth in April 2016. If she's already at four months, she's going to be huge in 2016. If filming is shifted to accommodate that, she probably wouldn't be in any shape to shoot anything until a few months after giving birth, so we'd be looking at midsummer 2016 at the earliest, which would be right around when all the actors committed to regular series would be ramping up filming for the fall. The later her due date, the more likely they can get it done in early 2016, I think.

I have a feeling they'll start filming around June and it'll be a VERY tight shoot with most of the busy actors like Jared, Milo etc. They'll probably only do each scene once, maybe twice, and get them in the can ASAP. Similar to how the VM movie handled all their cameos.

There's also the matter of the Stars Hollow WB backlot. Isn't that still used by Pretty Little Liars or some other show? They'll have to work around that filming schedule as well.

So yeah, this isn't going to be easy to schedule if they want all those other cast members to return.

For me personally, I would be actively upset if we don't see Paris in it. She was one of my favourites. I'd say the chance of Melissa McCarthy being in it is hovering somewhere around 3% so if anything I hope they mention what happened to her character.

Edited by stopthestatic
  • Love 1

I have a feeling they'll start filming around June and it'll be a VERY tight shoot with most of the busy actors like Jared, Milo etc. They'll probably only do each scene once, maybe twice, and get them in the can ASAP. Similar to how the VM movie handled all their cameos.

There's also the matter of the Stars Hollow WB backlot. Isn't that still used by Pretty Little Liars or some other show? They'll have to work around that filming schedule as well.

So yeah, this isn't going to be easy to schedule if they want all those other cast members to return.

I hadn't even thought about the PLL set. That's a very good point.

As for the busy cast members--JP, MC, LW, etc.--it depends on the scope of their intended involvement. If all they're needed for is a few scenes--and I really doubt the revival will be The Second Coming of Dean, for example--then it would be pretty easy to film their scenes. However, four episodes that are 90 minutes apiece is a lot of show. That's pretty much the equivalent of eight regular GG episodes. They're going to look pretty threadbare if all these minor characters only make small, one-and-done appearances. Even though you don't strictly need them for the show, assuming you've got the Lorelais, Lane, Luke, and Emily, the show would feel pretty threadbare if everyone else is gone or only making short appearances.

I forgot to mention that David Sutcliffe is available. It looks like he's back to doing Lifetime movies, at least for the moment.

Edited by Eyes High
  • Love 1

Milo on GG Revival 

I'm glad he's up for it. I always had the feeling that after a while he didn't like being on the show. I think he needs to be on this new Netflix thing. I think he was such an important part in Rory's life, it wouldn't feel right without him. In my dream world, he'd have reunited with Rory, but I don't know if that's going to happen. I'm really interested to see where ASP envisions Rory at this point in her life. I'd rather not see Logan at all. I never saw the connection between them, and it never quite fit for me. I'm assuming Lorelei is going to be with Luke. Maybe with a child. I can see them as a childless couple too. It's sad that we lost Edward Herrmann. I think Kelly Bishop will do wonders with this. It sounds kind of callous typing it out, but I don't mean for it to come out that way. They had great chemistry and displayed such love toward each other, I can only imagine where Emily is at this point in her story without Richard. 

Honestly, I think the hardest part will be lining up everyone's schedules, but if it happens I think ASP is going to make awesome and completely worth it. I need to know those final four words! It seems to be the common consensus that they're going to be spoken by Lorelei? 

• Love 1