Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Start Topic

I've watched and gone to enough cons to know that unless a lead/main actor was involved behind the scenes in terms of writing or maybe directing, their memory of the show is going to be iffy at best. Even if we're talking about the current season of  a show that's on. It always seems to be the recurring actors who seem to have a better memory for some reason. Probably because they know they're invited to the con for a specific reason so they better have stories to tell or they won't get any more con invites. A lot more leeway for bigger names.  I don't think the actors and their foggy memories at ATX really bothered me. In fact, I really enjoyed the passion that some of them brought (ie Hep Alien playing, the behind the scenes photos labeling each other with character names, etc...)

I think the key to remember is that the actors aren't necessarily "fans" of their work.  And by that, I just mean that they won't have necessarily seen an episode multiple times, or remember all the minutiae of a show.  Like was mentioned by dustylil, they may not even have watched episodes of the series, and are stuck trying to rely on their memories of plot points or episodes that could be more than a decade old.       

I do not see a "Scheduling" thread, so I'll note here that the ABC Family reruns are starting to air again at a rate of two episodes per day.  For anyone still watching the television!  I like having the show come on the screen every day and roll through the years, even though I usually can't watch it.

Some of us felt the exact same way and said so at the time, so you're definitely not alone! I definitely didn't expect the cast to exhibit the passion and borderline freakish knowledge of the show that some of us hardcore fans do, but it was pretty disheartening that even knowing well in advance they were gathering to celebrate and reminisce about GG, some of them seemed so clueless about and indifferent to their own show. I had a few "if they care so little, why should I care so much?!" moments. 

i felt the same way for a few things. I understand they wouldn't remember a lot but when they were asked what gets shouted at them or what fans say back to them (Oye with the poodles already, Cooper Boom, Buy me a Boa), I thought it was pretty shitty that they all couldn't remember at all. Alexis even listened to a fan try to explain cooper boom and just said "oh went away to college, said cooper boom from coopertone" and I found it annoying. You'd think they would have let someone explain the whole gist then say "oh i remember or I don't etc". I did like that Lauren said "oh that is funny" and started laughing while Amy was explaining Oye with the poodles already. And she called Scott out asking if Luke had a girlfriend. Keiko seemed to remember a lot which was nice. 

Obviously it's dishartening when we love and obsess so much and the actors don't :(

It's a shame when actors doing artistic work can't do the occasional retrospective to appreciate where they were at the time and try to understand what it meant.

While we didn't hear from Kelly Bishop on the topic, neither Alexis nor Lauren seem to have done that, but Scott clearly had figured out it was the highlight of his career and had obviously, probably thanks to the recent Gilmore Boys podcast with him, done some of the retrospective work.

While we didn't hear from Kelly Bishop on the topic, neither Alexis nor Lauren seem to have done that, but Scott clearly had figured out it was the highlight of his career and had obviously, probably thanks to the recent Gilmore Boys podcast with him, done some of the retrospective work.

You know I'm pretty sure Kelly has watched the show. I don't know how introspective you can get when you've already had a career long before GG. But she'd clearly watched the show at least (unlike some of the cast). Ever seen the GG Backstage special? That was done during early S5 and Kelly remembered scenes from way back in S1, including some dialogue.

I found it interesting when they were doing the 'where is your character now' part at the ATX panel how Lauren totally sidestepped that part.

Having never been an actor I have no idea what kind of ability there is to object to your character's development or actions.  Maybe Lauren never watched it because she knew how selfish Lorelai was in the series.  I know I look at old pictures of myself and say "what was I thinking" over clothes or hair or what I was doing in them.

Having never been an actor I have no idea what kind of ability there is to object to your character's development or actions. Maybe Lauren never watched it because she knew how

selfish Lorelai was in the series. I know I look

at old pictures of myself and say "what was I

thinking" over clothes or hair or what I was doing

in them.

Lauren always spoke very positively about her character, and I see why. Selfish or not, Lorelai Gilmore was probably a great role to play.

Though she'll always be one of my favorite characters too.

From what I can see, it looks like ABC Family is ditching Gilmore Girls beginning next week.

Yes, I came here to post the same thing.  I found the ABC Family schedule going out two weeks, and Gilmore Girls is nowhere on it.  Boo.  But they were heading into seasons 6 and 7 in the cycle, so I would not have been tuning in anyway for a while.  Yes, I have Netflix, but I just like having them show up on my screen when I'm home! 

ETA:  I see the series is moving to the "UP" network, starting next week in the evenings.  I have no idea if my cable package has "UP" -- and I hope that the episodes are not any more edited than they were at ABC Family (a few words being altered from time to time).  The thing that bugs me most are networks that throw in new and extra commercial breaks; I was very grateful to ABC Family that they mostly protected the integrity of the scenes and flow. 

Article on the change of network (very cheesy photograph with far too much of the GG's calves!):  http://www.gilmorenews.com/2015/09/29/gilmore-girls-heads-to-up-begins-with-marathon/

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

" I hope that the episodes are not any more edited than they were at ABC Family (a few words being altered from time to time)."

The UP (stands for uplifting) network used to be the Gospel Music Network. Not surprisingly, they are rather conservative. When they began airing Judging Amy, they would simply not air episodes that contained what they considered objectionably content, which gutted the serialized aspect of the storytelling. They didn't show last episode of the 1st season, when Vincent was shot, and the 1st (and maybe one more) episode of the 2nd. So viewers had no idea what had happened.

But, recently they seem to be airing JA episodes I remember they skipped earlier, so maybe GG will fare better.

We shall see...

Edited by wonderwoman

I can totally understand not wanting to watch myself on tv, the sound of my recorded voice bugs me. Johnny Depp claims he has never seen a finished film of his. He said it creeps him out. Lauren Graham, not wanting to watch herself on tv is understandable and sort of refreshing. Gilmore Girls was the job, the fact that fans love it and memorize every nuance is a side effect.

Say you worked at Cheese Cake Factory 15 years ago.....You had this 1 table in September 2000 who loved your service. Would you remember it? Unless it was recorded for prosperity and put on YouTube, and obsessively watched by (you) and millions of fans.... It was just another work day. I don't understand why anyone would be offended. I know this analogy might be shaky, but if you are an actor that truely hates watching themselves on tv...I can see why they don't remember a monkey lamp...which was a total throw away line made in 1 episode and never referred to again.

I think though if you were attending a paid (I assume?) reunion at a fan fest, with a bunch of your old co-workers, your old customers and the founder/ceo of Cheesecake Factory, and knowing that Cheesecake Factory fanatics were gonna watch the event, you might brush up on some Cheesecake Factory lore, even the minutia. I don't know if this is stemming from my original comment, but I wasn't criticizing Lauren in particular. I maintain that it was a bit jarring, but I hold no grudge against them. It just made me realize that I was a little obsessed.

• Love 1

GG marathon is today (Sunday) on UP. Season 1.

ETA:  Just got home in the evening and "Christopher Returns" was about to come on.  A parental warning went on the screen and voice over, telling us that "This episode contains language and life situations that may not be suitable for all viewers.  Parental guidance is advised."

I assume they are referring to the balcony scene! 

I hope the popups go away after the marathon. 

Edited by jjj

Amy and Lauren interview for ew.com on the show's 15th anniversary.

http://www.ew.com/article/2015/10/05/gilmore-girls-amy-sherman-palladino-lauren-graham-anniversary?hootPostID=6d48a6818757e8edb080e1dd9fa7dcf6

Interesting, I never knew that about the song.

ETA: I saw Lauren in Guys and Dolls and there were several teen girls there to see her. And she talks about that phenomenon. To me GG is a show that holds up and still gets discussed because its themes about families, mothers and daughters are timeless.

Edited by Minneapple
  • Love 1

Amy and Lauren interview for ew.com on the show's 15th anniversary.

Thank you, I just never get tired of hearing from them about the show!

I wouldn't have minded the popups if they had ended with periods instead of exclamation marks.  Where someone was born does not warrant that much excitement.

Philadelphia!  (wow, that does add some pizzazz!)

• Love 1

In light of our recent discussion about how Lauren Graham said she didn't watch herself perform, US Magazine wrote a flimsy as wet tissue paper story about Graham's and ASP's favorite moments from the pilot.

Graham's memory was she liked Melissa McCarthy and thought she was funny. She also commented where Lorelai would be in 2015, not exactly a memory from the pilot. LOL, stupid magazine writers. ASP had actually relevant comments.

http://www.usmagazine.com/entertainment/news/gilmore-girls-15th-anniversary-lauren-graham-amy-sherman-palladino-favorite-memories-2015510#

Oh, for heaven's sake.  "Becomers"?  Are they kidding?  How many on this forum fit their 18-34 demographic?

I hate that made up crap.  Stop trying to pigeonhole the whole world.

Someone (some firm) got paid a lot of money to make up that demographic!  I think "Gilmore Girls" transcends demographics!

And on the UP network, the word "damn" was bleeped in "Rory's Birthday Parties":  "Saturday's a pretty good night, Mom."  "Not as good as Friday."  "Pretty [----] close!"  I'll stick with Netflix and ABC Family. 

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

http://tvline.com/2015/10/19/gilmore-girls-revival-netflix-new-episodes/

Gilmore Girls Limited-Series Revival Set at Netflix — This Is Not a Drill

THIS JUST IN: We’re getting those final four words!

Sources confirm that Netflix has closed a deal with Warner Bros. for a limited-series revival of Gilmore Girls penned by series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and exec producer Daniel Palladino.

Although negotiations with the cast are only now beginning, I’m told all of the major players — most notably Lauren Graham, Alexis Bledel, Kelly Bishop and Scott Patterson — are expected back for the continuation. Additionally, per multiple insiders, the revival will consist of four 90-minute episodes/mini-movies.

Reps for Warner Bros. and Netflix declined to comment for this story.

And I repeat: This is not a drill.

Edited by Artsda
  • Love 5

I have to say I never, ever thought this would happen! Woot! 

I wonder if they'll try to go back 8 years to the end of the series or do a big time jump. Maybe set around Rory's wedding?

I think there will be a time jump.  And they will have to address Richard's death too

Well, they will finally get me to renew my Netflix subscription. Also I can take Lauren Graham off my crap list of actors and actresses I cannot support because they so monumentally screwed up their TV series. I am still peeved that an executive producer would allow a show to end like that. However a proper wrap up written by the originals could make things right in the Gilmore Universe, even if it stinks to high heaven. Kirk hitch a ride back to earth will you.

Holy cow!  I can't believe this!  It will also allow an opportunity to honor Edward Herrmann, and I would assume a revival would begin by dealing with his death.

This is amazing, especially if they get all those cast members named together again. 

I just texted my sister we are so excited. I turned her onto GG after it ended. Put my DVD collection to use (they look like dinosaurs now). She is 70 miles away but have to figure out a way to watch the premiere together!

• Love 1