Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Start Topic

Scott Patterson was on The Gilmore Guys podcast that released today. It was a really great and interesting interview!

I agree--VERY enjoyable interview, not the least of which was having SP/Luke's voice coming through my computer for an hour plus...  :-)

I’ve been trying to get into listening to these Gilmore Guy podcasts but I give up in frustration every time because they take FOREVER to get into the actual episode they’re supposed to be discussing and I just can’t with the 10 minutes of conversation going nowhere... But, perhaps more highly motivated today, I managed to make it through the usual aimless intro and yay! that I did.

Some highlights, things I loved, or were new to me:

—“Duke Lanes."  Had not heard this story before, that when he auditioned he was supposed to have prepared two scenes, but he only had prepped one because the second scene had a typo, Duke for Luke. Doesn’t make him seem like the brightest fellow but I'll give him a pass since it was one of three auditions he had that day. (and overall, I was pleasantly surprised at how bright and thoughtful a guy he seems to be. I think I had somehow assumed or absorbed a bit of a ‘dumb jock’, ‘dumb actor’ thing about him? He doesn’t seem that at all, here.)

—He does a funny imitation of Sebastian Bach, saying, "Me. On Gilmore Girls. It’s so wrong it’s right."

—On casting him: “I’m not a particularly light guy, as an actor … I can be that way, but I’m not naturally that way… they felt that weightiness, they needed that for the show … a counter-balance.”

—SO happy to hear them ask about a mini series, on Netflix or otherwise, not just a movie, which I have been thinking about a lot lately, as so many other old shows are coming back for limited runs. And I LOVE his response, which I’ve paraphrased here, where he talks about the fans and if we’re “owed":

“They waited seven years for a wedding that they never got … that's a bitter pill to swallow if you’re a lifelong fan … But maybe that’s the reason the show continues to have a life. Maybe it’s what was NOT written that lives on in the imagination of the fans. Maybe that’s the genius of what Amy did (though not intentional) … the imagination goes wild…but that is a very painful tonic for fans. Not getting what they want. Not getting what they thought they were gonna get …

“Having said that … I’m in … Good lord, yes … I have a feeling … I’m eternally hopeful that something’s gonna happen … I don’t wanna mislead the fans … there are talks going on at the moment. I’m hopeful. I’m in.”

(Love the last part of course…but the first part even more, ‘cause it makes me think he must read LL fanfic… or at least be aware of it…)

—He says lovely things about Edward Hermann, as a person and as an acting legend, and how the day they shot the golf scene was one of the best days of his life:  “You know you’ve reached a pinnacle…in your life, your career. A day like that.”

—He played practical jokes on set—never on “the girls” because they were “too busy”, but on MV. One big one, and a retaliation, which he says he’s saving for “the book.”

—He’s on “Team Dean’—says Jess was clearly the train wreck relationship, to be gotten through to learn, but not to last…. (Not that I agree, but thought it was interesting…)

—He was rooting for ASP to keep L and L apart as long as possible. He was happy to wait as “(Lorelai) wasted her time with those other fellas ... the Jon Hamms of the world.”

—When asked about acting the Rachel and Nicole story lines while knowing his character was in love with Lorelai, he goes into this long thing about Stanislavski and Adler and Strasberg and COMPLETELY loses the two hosts, which is kinda funny. I didn't get a pretentious vibe off of that, he seems genuinely interested in making his point, something about how you need to act “100% in the given circumstances” and that they all trusted fully in the genius of ASP and the ‘circumstances’ she gave them.

—says a lot about Season 7 and missing Amy and how it wasn’t the same on set

—Best pals on set were Michael Winters and Sally Struthers.

—I love his deep, genuine laugh when he’s asked about the introduction of April, and the fan reaction. He goes on to say lovely things about VM, which is nice.

—He brings up his baby boy Nicholas at the end, when they ask if he has anything else he wants to share—first birthday coming up, not many details beyond that.

—Finally, kudos to the hosts for NOT asking about the reports of him and LG not getting along. Sick of that media ‘story line’, whether its true or not.

Hee. I went on a little longer than I planned! Just really enjoyed listening to such a long and thoughtful interview. Maybe it’s all old news—I was a latecomer to the show and didn’t really follow interviews and such in the media at the time. So I thoroughly enjoyed this.

• Love 7
(edited)

—Finally, kudos to the hosts for NOT asking about the reports of him and LG not getting along. Sick of that media ‘story line’, whether its true or not.

According to Scott they had a very good relationship on and off screen. He had only good things to say about her and their working relationship. 

I really enjoyed this podcast.

Edited by Aloeonatable

According to Scott they had a very good relationship on and off screen. He had only good things to say about her and their working relationship. 

I really enjoyed this podcast.

If they had a bad relationship, then they are both amazing actors. I watch their interactions looking for some hint of annoyance or dislike but I don't see it! If you really dislike someone, it can be hard to disguise, even if it is your job. I don't doubt they got on each other's nerves at some point. That's pretty normal!

I agree--VERY enjoyable interview, not the least of which was having SP/Luke's voice coming through my computer for an hour plus...  :-)

Some highlights, things I loved, or were new to me:

—“Duke Lanes." 

(Love the last part of course…but the first part even more, ‘cause it makes me think he must read LL fanfic… or at least be aware of it…)

—He’s on “Team Dean’—says Jess was clearly the train wreck relationship, to be gotten through to learn, but not to last…. (Not that I agree, but thought it was interesting…)

Ditto on the enjoyment, he was far more personable than I'd seen on old TV interviews. Mmmm and that voice - hearing it talk about pleasant things was refreshing.

The Duke scene: That comment certainly gives credibility to the purported original script floating in the interwebs, which has the same mistake.

What I found otherwise interesting about the audition was that he was auditioning for just the pilot episode (IIRC), but that he and his "team" (manager et al, I presume) deduced that it was a chemistry test. If the chemistry with Lorelai worked, Luke would be more permanent, and when it was discovered that they had amazing chemistry, he held out for a regular cast member job and got it.

Also loved the anecdotes about how easy they found GG to cast, in particular that JP was the first one they saw and apparently the casting team got worried that it was too easy. The second anecdote I recall was that they stopped auditioning for Luke after SP's audition as far as he was told.

He was wonderfully effusive about the fan base, but I was VERY unimpressed with the platitude about it may be good for the audience not getting what they wanted and it makes the fan base stronger. It doesn't sound any better coming from a person as pretty as him. What I interpret from the platitude (in any story/show/etc, not specifically GG) is the equivalent of saying "Fine, maybe we dumped on you and let you down, but just think how much stronger it's made you."

If a happy ending was good enough for Jane Austen, it's good enough for the GG. No one can claim that JA's fan base is any the less because she made us happy at the end.

I really really liked how much he appreciated the experience and that he acknowledged that there are millions of wonderful actors out there who will never reach that level of success, not because they lack talent, but because timing and being in the right place are critical.

The Team Dean comment was funny, because it seemed that he couldn't remember the character's name, but knew it shouldn't be Jess.

His comments about a possible reunion project are a trending story on Facebook.

It doesn't smell like a Netflix project, and is too high falootin' for something like Yahoo Screen, so I wonder where they're shopping this?

If it's JUST a reunion movie and not an actual series it could be plenty of places.  Even the CW, although since they don't generally do one-offs, that might be tricky.

Yes, they definitely have been advertising this reunion more then most. I wonder if there is more behind it then a chance to get the actors/creators together to shoot the breeze and answer questions. I'm half expecting an announcement for a movie/mini-series since their has been so much speculation/insinuation about it from the actors themselves. I find it interesting that they've managed to get so much of the main cast back together, even the ones who have long moved on or gotten out of acting. Either way, I can't wait for this :).

(edited)

I understand that the panel has been sold out (so to speak) for quite awhile now, so unless E news wants to get their numbers up for the live stream, I think the Scott interview and the news about Milo is just coincidental.  I also think it is a testament to the casts' admiration for ASP.

Edited by Aloeonatable

Yes, they definitely have been advertising this reunion more then most. I wonder if there is more behind it then a chance to get the actors/creators together to shoot the breeze and answer questions. I'm half expecting an announcement for a movie/mini-series since their has been so much speculation/insinuation about it from the actors themselves. I find it interesting that they've managed to get so much of the main cast back together, even the ones who have long moved on or gotten out of acting. Either way, I can't wait for this :).

That is what sticks out to me the most. It's kind of unusual to assemble so much of the cast of a tv show when it's not even for an anniversary type of thing or a special event.

(edited)

Or it could be because they just lost Edward Herrman, who was a huge part of the show. I'm sure they all jumped at the chance to get together. 

Also, Milo Ventimigila is confirmed as attending. Maybe there is a movie in the works. Sad that it would need to address Edward Herrman's death though. 

Edited by jb0495

That is what sticks out to me the most. It's kind of unusual to assemble so much of the cast of a tv show when it's not even for an anniversary type of thing or a special event.

Actually, ATX has done a fantastic job in recent years of assembling the casts of long ended TV shows. Considering so many of them are still friends (actors for Lane/Brian/Zach/Mrs.Kim/Kirk I know for sure) or like keeping in contact, the idea of getting a free ticket to and from Austin (which is a pretty fantastic place) for a reunion sounds pretty great.

• Love 2

Huffpo interview with Keiko Agena.

Since the show came out on Netflix there's been a lot of new articles cropping up about it. Some critics (and re-watchers on the Internet) have focused on the fact that Lorelai and Rory are kind of bad people.
[Laughs]

Like, we love them, but they're selfish.
Well, I have a theory! Because of the financial crash and this whole situation -- the show ended in 2007 -- since then it's been a lot harder for people coming out of college to find jobs at all. So I think that when you look at "Gilmore Girls" now, especially young people who have grown up in this environment when it's so hard to have financial security. When you see Emily offering all of these things to Lorelei, and all she wants [is] personal interaction ... After 2008, Lorelei seems a lot more selfish than maybe she did back when it was originally created in 2000.

Huh, good theory on Keiko's part. I've always considered GG a bit of a fairytale story, and I guess it could be the case that the world isn't the shiny, happy place it used to be. Plus, I think people like me who watched the show as teens and younger who've grown up see the show through different eyes, in some respects.

Just as I was finishing the interview with Keiko, Mr. Crs was searching around on Netflix and decided to watch the pilot to see what all the fuss was about.  I definitely could see newcomers thinking her selfish and feeling a little sorry for her parents.  It's funny that in the pilot Richard is the jerk while Emily isn't that bad at all.  She lays out her disappointment in being cut out of Rory's life for the past 16 years, and a phone call and weekly dinner isn't much to ask in exchange for $50,000.  Of course, we soon learn her issues as well, but it was interesting to watch it through fresh eyes 15 years later.

a phone call and weekly dinner isn't much to ask in exchange for $50,000

With respect, the Chilton money was always seen as a loan by all parties. The senior Gilmores did accept its repayment (as opposed to say passing it on to Rory for her college fund) even if Emily was angered by it at the time. So it was not just a phone call and a weekly dinner in exchange for $50,000. The calls and the FNDs  were the weekly interest payments.

With respect, I disagree that the elder Gilmores thought of the money as a loan. Richard was delighted to be able to tell her about the stock sake, and IMO they were surprised and devastated when she used the proceeds to repay them. They quickly used that money for Rory's graduation, and that payment was identified as a loan.

Glad they kept Melissa around, as wacky as the character got, she did a good job with her. She played comedic brilliantly and it's no wonder (well I'm kind of surprised but still) she's as popular as she is now.  Didn't they originally cast the harp player who later played Miss Seline(?) as Sookie (the voice actress for Lois on Family Guy and the guy who played Jackson's wife)? The way she played the two characters I'm not sure I would have liked Sookie as much.

• Love 1

Yes, Alex Borstein.

It might well be my lack of imagination, but is difficult to think of  Ms Borstein being able to convey the warmth and bubbliness of the early seasons Sookie.

• Love 1

Interview with Kelly Bishop.

Decider: You’ve worked with Amy Sherman-Palladino on two projects now, but out of curiosity, what were your thoughts when you first picked up the script for Gilmore Girls?

KB: That year, The Sopranos was right in the midst of it’s big life. So what I was getting during that pilot season — they were mainly sitcoms, so they were a half-hour — and a lot of Italian family stories. And none of them were very good. I think one of them was okay. And [Gilmore Girls] was among the bunch and I start reading it and I’m finding it deeply funny. Right off the bat, I’m going, ‘This is really interesting.’ Then I found myself about forty pages in, looking at the thickness of it and going, ‘This can’t be a half-hour, this has got to be an hour show. There are too many pages here, but it’s so funny.’ And it’s funny without a studio audience — thank God. I read through the whole thing and said, ‘This is a fabulous script. These are wonderful characters. I love this character Emily.’ I called my agent and said, ‘Oh yeah, I’m really interested.’ Then I had to proceed to audition for it, but I worked that audition. I really, really did my homework on that audition because I wanted to deliver what I thought Amy wanted and what I heard in my head.

Decider: Part of what makes Gilmore Girls so unique is the amount of talent within its younger cast. Were you ever surprised by what they brought to the table?

KB: Alexis [bledel] was pretty new to the business and really hadn’t even wanted to be an actor. I think she actually wanted to be a writer. But she’s so beautiful — just an extraordinary face. I think she had done some acting in school and some modeling because she’s such a beauty then somehow got sent through her agent for an acting job and that’s how she got in. So acting was very new to her. But she is a very intelligent young woman and kind of realized that she didn’t have the training and the technique and certainly the experience that the rest of us, to varying degrees, had on the show. But she held her own and she learned so much. It was really interesting to watch her grow as an actress as time went on because she is smart, she’s paying attention.

Liza [Weil], on the other hand, so spot on. I just went, ‘I love this chick. This is one good actress.’ And this wasn’t from working with her, it was only from scenes I saw her in because we didn’t have storylines together. And Keiko! I love Keiko. I’m mad for her, she’s so cute. And just a really good actress. It was just a quality bunch. But Amy, she’s very specific about that. I mean, she’s really picky. You might even be surprised by a choice that she makes in an actor and then you go, ‘Ah, now I see where she was going with that.’

(edited)

EW was supposed to have  a live twitter feed or, live stream, but now I've read that they won't have it up until a few days after. Bummer. We'll have to rely on tweets or reports from the fans at the reunion show.

Some Hep Alien

Edited by Aloeonatable
  • Love 1

Is someone there who can report back to us? I would love to hear about all the stuff that won't show up in newspaper articles.

Search #gilmoregirlsreunion on Twitter. Wade through the people saying "I wish I was there" and you should be good.

(edited)

I knew that Sookie wouldn't be at the reunion since MM is like the biggest star in the world now, but it dawned on me as i was obsessively following the Twitter feed that we were missing some other favorites too. No Mrs. Kim, no Sally Struthers, no Kirk or Taylor, and no Christopher. Still, it was a great turnout and so fun to see all of them that did make it.

Someone on Twitter said "Of course Christopher would skip out on the reunion! So typical!" Ha.

Edited by desertflower
(edited)

What's all the talk about the final four words of the series? Is there supposedly some dialogue that didn't happen? I saw some references to that yesterday and don't really know what it means.

ASP had written the last scene of the show and the scene ended with 4 final words. However, since ASP and WB couldn't work out a contract for the final season, we never saw how she wanted the show to end (or her rendition of season 7).

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 1
(edited)

Yup - Solotrek got it.

I am beside myself with smiles right now - I had NO IDEA all this Gilmore Girls-ing was going on. The podcasts, the interviews and the reunion of course are coming out of left field to surprise me today. Guess I should be keeping a closer eye on Reddit.

Congrats to Melissa for her star on the walk of fame - I absolutely feel it's deserved, though I wish some of the projects she was involved with now were half as good as Gilmore Girls was. Sookie was a good part and she elevated it and then some. As one of you said, she brought a warmth and genuine loving kindness to it (and serious comedic chops) that I don't think Alex Borstein would have been ideal for.

LOL at the comment about Christopher's absence from the reunion :) So true.

Actually, I found it noteworthy that neither he nor the actress playing April appeared. Given how Season Seven went down, I wouldn't at all be surprised if that was because audiences probably don't have such warm fuzzy feelings for those two characters. In reality, it's probably because they just weren't part of the "main cast" or weren't available.

I am SHOCKED at how thin Liz Torres is now - I hardly recognized her in the group shots posted at EW.com. Has she been well lately? I know she was dangerously overweight in the original series, so I'm happy for her if she was able to get the weight off and is healthier now, but it's a drastic change and I hope not because of a health issue.

In the 9th picture posted in the EW gallery, Lauren is with two of her co-stars from Parenthood, right? The girl and the guy? I don't remember either of them on GG...

http://www.ew.com/gallery/gilmore-girls-reunion-red-carpet-atx/2211048_lauren-graham-mae-whitman-and-miles-heizer

I LOVE that Hep Alien did a concert. That's amazing. So awesome to see them together again, and Keiko looks even more like a real-deal drummer with her shorter hair. Love it. Also love that the actress who played Lindsay participated (though I'm surprised no one asked her or Jared P about the cheating storyline if they were both there).

Who was moderating the talk? In one photo it looks like a woman with dark hair (at first glance I thought it was Gyspy) but the EW site says it's the actress who played Lindsay.  Confused.

Edited by DisneyBoy
(edited)

In the 9th picture posted in the EW gallery, Lauren is with two of her co-stars from Parenthood, right? The girl and the guy? I don't remember either of them on GG...

http://www.ew.com/ga...nd-miles-heizer

The Braverman clan is incredibly close. Mae Whitman was part of the all-star guest cast reading for Dawson's Creek pilot episode at ATX, she read the part of Dawson. Miles and her are BFF and roommates, and they're insanely close with Lauren. It's adorable really. Although not pictured, I think Sarah Ramos (Haddie) from Parenthood was there as well. She's a HUGE Gilmore Girls fan.

Who was moderating the talk? In one photo it looks like a woman with dark hair (at first glance I thought it was Gyspy) but the EW site says it's the actress who played Lindsay.  Confused.

It was moderated by Jessica Shaw, EW Morning Live host. The actress who played Lindsay (Arielle Kebbel) did the introductions and also did the Dawson's Creek reading.

Sean Gunn is filming something overseas so he couldn't make it. Though I'm surprised they couldn't get Melissa to leave a video message or even call her. Chris Pratt called in for the Everwood ATX panel while filming Jurassic World.

Apparently Yanic did a Q&A on the official Gilmore Girls FB page.

Edit to add: Apparently John Cabrera (Brian) was calling Sean Gunn seeing if they could get him to skype in or something.

Edited by solotrek
  • Love 1

It's a shame there appear to be no actual realistic plans for a reunion movie or miniseries or such.  It's nice that Kelly Bishop is enthusiastic, but it seems pretty clear the notion is going nowhere.

Well, you never know, if Netflix or some other outlet takes notice of how much love and attention the reunion got maybe they will make an offer that will get thing rolling.

We rented "St. Vincent" the other night and Melissa was really good in it. Not as bubbly as Sookie but not as over the top as some of her other roles. Nice subtle performance.