Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Start Topic

Not classic media, not fanfic, but I added some of my analyses to my webpage.

Had time to sit down and read through this tonight.  This is really great stuff!!  Let us know when you post more, okay?

Once I considered the arrival of Jess as part of the Heroines' Journeys, the next analysis all fell together in my head. As a former disliker of Jess, I'm now looking forward to seeing more of his influence on the protagonists. 

http://junienmomo.wordpress.com/heaven-is-hell-in-reverse/

The rest of S2 has me puzzled, though, several episodes seem to be just throwaway, not moving the key characters along in any significant way. Bracebridge is a good example of this. 

Gilmore Girls reunion -- but no, not in a movie!

Organizers of the ATX Television Festival announced on Thursday that a Gilmore Girls reunion panel featuring stars Lauren Graham and Alexis Bledel, as well as series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino, is set for the annual TV jamboree.

http://tvline.com/2014/11/13/gilmore-girls-reunion-lauren-graham-alexis-bledel-atx-television-festival-2015/#more-564898

Still pretty exciting. I want to know what Amy had planned for the final words, what she would have done with season 7, etc.

• Love 1

Gilmore Girls reunion -- but no, not in a movie!

http://tvline.com/2014/11/13/gilmore-girls-reunion-lauren-graham-alexis-bledel-atx-television-festival-2015/#more-564898

Still pretty exciting. I want to know what Amy had planned for the final words, what she would have done with season 7, etc.

Please tell us those words Amy, geeze.  I hope it ends up like the other reunion panels where a ton of cast members show up. As much as I'm psyched about Lauren and Alexis, I so want to hear from Kelly Bishop and Liza Weil.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 1

Of the list from the first article, I feel 100% confident in saying that Jared and Milo are least likely to attend.  Jared's always said that he'd be open to GG reunion stuff but June is his break from filming Supernatural (which has no end in sight) so I don't know how willing he'd be to sacrifice that time from his family (he doesn't seem that in demand for non-SPN projects otherwise I'd include that as another reason) for a panel reunion of a show that's been gone for so many years.  A reunion movie or miniseries would be different but I don't think that's ever going to happen.  I also don't think Milo will be there because it always seems like actors who date and then break up always avoid each other unless there's some external factor (ie, contract obligations like what happened when Chad Michael Murray and Sophia Bush divorced but remained on One Tree Hill or Nina Dobrev and Ian Somerhalder both continuing to be on Vampire Diaries after their relationship ended).  Plus, Alexis is married and we all know that there would be that one idiot in the audience who'd start yelling for them to get back together and that would just be uncomfortable for everyone no matter how amicable the split. 

I do think that Sutcliffe will probably be there and I could see Patterson going as neither is setting the acting world on fire and could use the exposure.  I'd love to see Liza and Keiko on the panel and to hear their thoughts on their characters respective stories.  ASP better move heaven and earth to get Kelly and Edward to show up because they should be there above everyone aside from Lauren and Alexis.  Should be a fun panel and I'm glad they're doing this. 

I think the writer of the second article saw the show when it originally ran but hadn't seen it in years at the time of publication.  I feel like I can refute most of the claims made but even I can only do that thanks to my own recent rewatch, so I'll cut her some slack.

To be honest I'm happy with just LG, AB and ASP being there. I'd gladly take Ed Herrmann, Kelly Bishop & Liza Weil too, but the rest I can do without.

I want some fun behind the scenes insights and I want some in depth character analysis with regards to Lorelai/Rory. I couldn't care less about any conversation on the merits of Luke v Chris or Logan v Jess.

Mainly I want there to be some decent discussion as to how seasons 6 & 7 came to be the utter mess they were - namely Lorelai & Rory acting OOC for the most part. I want some explanation of the Lorelai/Rory rift; Rory becoming a bit of an entitled lady; Lorelai's dating/marrying Christopher despite him being out of Rory's entire life for the most part etc. I need some better explanation of those types of things because I have never been able to understand the reasoning or character motivation for those events.

Where was the payoff for the Lorelai/Rory rift? They never hashed things out.

Why was Rory not in the least bit resentful that her mother was going to help raise her father's other child with him after he couldn't have been bothered to be a father to Rory herself for most of her life?

How in God's name did a long lost daughter seem like anything other than a terrible idea? 

And besides, I just cant see any reason for Jared or Milo to be there - Milo because, awkward much? And Jared because I don't think anyone gave a hoot about Dean after season 4.Matt C perhaps. SP, yes. But I'd be very surprised if either of MV or JP were there.

Edited by Gooey
  • Love 2

I just cant see any reason for Jared or Milo to be there

I don't either, to be honest, but a few of the articles I've read on the subject including what's posted in this thread have put both Dean and Jess on wish lists for the panel and it surprised and compelled me to comment.  I also agree that Lauren, Alexis, and ASP being the only ones would be enough but I'd just personally want Kelly and Edward as well above the rest of the supporting cast.

I can't see any reason to have Jared or Milo there either.  Dean was only there for 2.5 seasons and ended on a very bad note, and Jess was there for what?  A season and a half all together?  He ended on a good note but I can't see "normal" fans (not us, of course, but we're not normal LOL) really caring that much.

Jess was on the show for almost 2 years, plus the half a dozen episodes in seasons 4, 5 & 6. Jared was on the show recurring the first season then as a regular for 3 more. I don't think that either Milo or Jared will sit on the panel unless they don't have anything else to do at the moment. They both seem to have fond memories, but have probably moved on. I really don't think that the situation between Milo and Alexis would be a problem, as they are both adults and it has been 8 years since they broke up. I would like to see Edward and Kelly. I'm sure Melissa won't be there.

I didn't like the Richard in Stars Hollow episode in season 2. He is very annoying in this episode, and rude to Lorelai. I would switch that one out for Lorelai's Graduation Day. I love Jess and Rory and that scene where Lorelai walks across the stage and looks at her parents. It gets me everytime.

I also don't like watching Keg! Max! since Jess is awful in this episode, and I hate seeing him being such a jerk. Although if I were Rory in that upstairs bedroom, the episode would've ended much differently! I would trade this one out with The Big One because of the Paris meltdown. Also Lazy Hazy Crazy Days is great too.

And I would add to season 4 Last Week's Fights This Week's Tights since this is when Luke gets things moving with Lorelai.

The Richard in Stars Hollow is one of my least favorite episodes. Richard knows he's been pawned off, but the story just doesn't go anywhere for me.

Jess has so much pain in Keg! Max! that I feel sorry for him, not excusing any bad behavior, but he comes across as more sympathetic than Dean, who is also very unhappy.

Fights/Tights has now been officially declared my favorite episode. It's not just the javajunkie stuff, it's the Jess/Luke relationship. Those guys just knock it out of the park.

Just finished writing the first chapter of a fanfic that starts right after the wedding. I even kept Jess around for some fun. Link: https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10838056/1/Relationship-Renaissance

I know I'm late to the game on a lot of these, but I hope it's still okay if I weigh in...

Oh, this is definitely something we need to talk about! From Buzzfeed:

The Definitive Ranking of the Men on Gilmore Girls

Curious to see what your opinions are! I'm ticked off that they only rated my dearly-loved Tom as #23!

I can't tell you how much I loved Marty's raking. Not only was he #7, he was also ahead of both Logan and Dean. That pretty much nails it in my book.

Vulture did a piece on Who is Worse: Lorelai or Rory?

That article had a link to a Gilmore Girls Superfan Quiz. While I did well (47/50), I was more delighted with how well Mr. Takalotti did. His result was "32/50. You're Luke. You speak the language, even if you don't always want to." Ha! Spot on!

Yes that's Pamie!

Thanks for the confirmation!
  • Love 1

Lauren Graham

Ed Herrmann’s combination of pure charisma plus his distinctive voice lit up any room he entered. He had a gentlemanly manner, a wicked sense of humor, and a sharp wit. He was well-read, interesting, and just plain fun to be around. He had deep respect and love for the craft of acting and led by example. You wanted to be better prepared, or just plain better, because he always was. He brought such humor and humanity to all his work, but I know the character of Richard Gilmore had a special place in his heart. He loved our show and was touched by the enthusiasm of its fans.

Emily Bishop

We, the Gilmore Girls family, are so terribly sad and somewhat stunned. We only learned about his illness a week or so ago. I got a call from [Edward’s wife] Star Monday night asking if I wanted to come to the hospital to say good-bye. I went yesterday and was able to give Ed love from Lauren [Graham], Alexis [bledel] and Amy [sherman-Palladino]… I have so many fond memories of our time together on Gilmore Girls and since, mainly via email. I think everyone who knew or worked with Ed found him to be absolutely delightful… Everything looks a little dim, as if the lights went down.

Amy Sherman Palladino

Ed Herrmann was a towering presence who filled the room with grace, laughter, Chekhov references and several salty stories. He was our Patriarch. Gilmore Girls would not exist without Ed. There really are no words.

When we were casting the part of Richard on Gilmore Girls, we all sat around saying, ‘If we could only get Ed Herrmann.’ So we sent the script to his agent who said Ed will come in and meet, but he won’t read. We said fine — great. Set it up. The agent said, ‘But I need you to understand — he will not read.’ We said we get it — no reading. The agent said, ‘He’s Ed Herrmann. He’s worked with Woody Allen! He was in Reds! He will not, under any circumstances, read!’ We were like ‘Hey, if he’ll even sit down and talk to us, we’d be honored.’ So Ed came in. He sat down and said, ‘I like it. It’s funny. Should I read?’ We sat there in stunned silence as Ed opened the script and proceeded to read. And just like that, Richard Gilmore was sitting in front of us. And that’s when I knew this show was charmed… To our patriarch, I thank you. I miss you. And I could never repay you

David Sutcliffe

Sad to hear about the passing of Ed Herrmann, aka Richard Gilmore from Gilmore Girls. Great man, great actor. He will be missed. Spent a lot of time on set watching Ed Herrmann work, trying to understand what it means to be a professional. He was always alive and present, taking care of his business while never forgetting to play and have fun.

Edited by maculae
  • Love 4

I was so surprised to hear he'd been ill.  I've really enjoyed it whenever I've found him in new roles since GG ended.  He reprised his role as FDR on the new Ken Burns Documentary on the Roosevelt's.  I actually had no idea he'd played FDR in the past (apparently he did two mini series in the 70's and played him in Annie - how did I miss that?) but even though his voice was instantly recognizable to me, he was a whole new character.  How do people do that?

I'm very sad for his friends and family and it seems a bit silly to admit, but after reading a few really lovely write ups about him, my mind wandered back to Gilmore Girls.  It's one of those very special shows that even though it's off the air, it's never really ended in my mind.  All through Obama's rise in politics I kept picturing Rory there in the thick of things and imagining life going on in Star's Hollow.  With Edward Hermann's passing, I also can't help think of Emily, Lorelai and Rory losing Richard too.  :(

So sad to hear of Edward Hermann's passing, he seemed to be such a warm, kind person irl. 

With Edward Hermann's passing, I also can't help think of Emily, Lorelai and Rory losing Richard too.  :(

I was watching Forgiveness&Stuff last night and it is even more poignant now. I especially am touched about Emily's speech about dying before Richard and Lorelai's silent moment with her dad. Just very sad.

I also think back to that time Rory quit college and even though I get why Lorelei was pissed at her parents for taking Rory in instead of helping her talk Rory into going back, you can't blame them especially Richard after Rory hugs him crying. You can see him turn into mush and his "betrayal" came because he had too much heart, not because he was heartless. Then later he's the first to admit they were wrong.

• Love 5

Gosh, I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times I've teared up over a celebrity dying, because realistically I can love someone's work, but I don't really actually know them.  Since their work is recorded and available to me, they will always be as alive for me as they ever were.   Actors get to at least flirt with immortality, so whereas it's always a case of "I'm so sorry for their family, they must be grieving this loss" I rarely cry or even get misty.   

So it's not Edward Hermann dying , at least not precisely, that just made me cry a bit.  It's what Amy Sherman-Paladino had to say about him:  

The agent said, ‘He’s Ed Herrmann. He’s worked with Woody Allen! He was in Reds! He will not, under any circumstances, read!’ We were like ‘Hey, if he’ll even sit down and talk to us, we’d be honored.’ So Ed came in. He sat down and said, ‘I like it. It’s funny. Should I read?’ We sat there in stunned silence as Ed opened the script and proceeded to read.

Jeez.  That made me tear-up rather dramatically.  For one thing, it brought Edward Hermann to life for me as a person, outside of a character, but it also underlines something about AS-P  -- when she's "on" that lady sure can tell a poignant story in unexpected ways.  

• Love 4

Statement from Alexis Bledel:

Ed Herrmann was a wonderful actor and a kind man. He was endlessly knowledgeable about theater, TV and film, and would generously share his wisdom or tell stories from a long and rewarding career. I am grateful to him for that, and will miss him tremendously. He loved acting and was the head of our Gilmore family with his strong presence and great sense of humor. May he rest in peace.

• Love 2

Thought I'd share this youtube video of a recent promotion Milo Ventimiglia did in Germany for a web series he filmed called Chosen. Gilmore Girls is mentioned in a question and answer session. I would have liked to know what he meant in his comment "Gilmore Girls was not that easy." 

Edited by Aloeonatable

Ha!  A little shout-out/mockery of us GG fans and fic writers (and posters everywhere...) here at preTV, via this week's  Elementary recap. (Scroll down to #4....)

Holmes Wins One For Online Forum Posters Everywhere....
...as angry as a Gilmore Girls fan who has been denied ....

• Love 1