Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Start Topic

Whoa!  Unbelievable that Netflix is bringing us the show.  I got an HD TV in the past year, and am amazed at how beautiful shows are that I've seen in regular D!

But I came here to say that Edward Hermann is the voice of FDR in "The Roosevelts" on PBS.  I did not see another thread where I could post this.  Some of you may have seen him in the wonderful miniseries of decades ago, "Eleanor and Franklin," so this is a repeat role for him.  Interestingly, he has only read one line that I have heard in the first four hours, so it seems they are saving him for his own Roosevelt episodes.  He was superb in that miniseries, with Jane Alexander. 

• Love 1

Sadly, it is only the American Netflix that is airing Gilmore Girls. We Canadians continue to be deprived of a regular, on-going source of the show. Sniff.

The Roosevelts is quite good. And it is wonderful to have Edward Herrmann in another incarnation as FDR. In an episode the other night Mr. Herrmann is heard reading a warm letter from the son to his mother, Trix. Er, Sara.

• Love 1

I don't mean to even more pedantic than usual, but that "Friday Night Dinner attendance in exchange for school tuition" has always bugged. And it shows up not just in the above HuffPo item but  on a number of sites and in articles, even those  devoted to all things Gilmore Girls.

The FNDs were the equivalent of interest on the loans for Chilton and Yale, not as quid pro quo for prep school and college. The money for tuition was expected to be paid back (at least until Season 6 when things got murky). Certainly the Chilton loan was repaid.

Um guys, Gilmore Girls is going to be on Netflix starting October 1st.

I'm soooo excited. I had never watched when it originally aired and I just started watching S1 randomly this week, on iTunes. I wasn't intending to buy every season but watching through methods can be annoying, so the Netflix option is great. 

I know the show isn't perfect, but I'm enjoying it (and all of the now-hilarious pop culture references... Madonna and Sean Penn, Angelina Jolie and Billy Bob Thornton...too funny). And I just watched the Rory's Birthday Parties episode and fully understand why it was entered into the Canon. Really great.

OK, not reading much of anything on these GG threads because I don't want to be spoiled. Carry on! :)

• Love 1

I completely agree with that article, and it makes me really sad.  MM as Sookie was so pretty and sparkly and fun.  I haven't actually seen any of her other stuff, but believe me the previews for everything I have seen have been enough.  :(

Loved the MM article, thanks for posting it.

Sadly, the big screen movie market requires teenage boys as well as teenage girls because that's where the money is. Raunchy comedies can have all kinds of redeeming factors, like MM as a star, but they still need raunchiness to draw a teenage boy box office. Sad, but it's the way of the market. I agree with you that she will hopefully soon be able to drive the projects she wants.

Maintaining my role as curmudgeon - I think I would be somewhat more sympathetic to Ms McCarthy's career issues raised in that February 2013 article, if she and her husband had not been responsible (as writer and director) for her recent film Tammy, where once again she played a crass and vulgar character.

I would think if she disliked the kinds of roles she has had since Bridesmaids, and she clearly has the resources to do so, she would make some effort to get away from them.

Edited by dustylil
  • Love 1

Thanks for the Vulture article - very interesting. Don't forget to look at the other GG articles they're posting, just finished the boyfriends article, liked it too.

I'll start a separate thread for this, but my opinion of the main characters is changing strongly since I started learning about the "Hero's Journey" concept from Joseph Campbell (remember the Power of Myth video in Florida?). The journey describes a path, like a character arc, in stories, be they old myths or modern, like Star Wars or GG.

Looking at the Lorelais from the Hero's Journey perspective is changing my outlook for the better.

Here's a link to a summary of the Hero's Journey: http://www.thewritersjourney.com/hero%27s_journey.htm

I was sure this must have been linked days ago, but do not see it:  a New York Times article about "Why Are We So Obsessed With ‘Gilmore Girls’?"  So many internal links to other articles and reviews of the show.  Something to read while we wait for October 1!

http://op-talk.blogs.nytimes.com/2014/09/22/why-are-we-so-obsessed-with-gilmore-girls/?module=Search&mabReward=relbias%3As%2C%7B%222%22%3A%22RI%3A17%22%7D

Edited by jjj
  • Love 1

Warning: Those who dislike Jess/Rory probably won't like this one :) It's funny, because on paper Jess/Rory (and, really, Jess in general!) would be on my 'ugh' list, but somehow I really perceived this strong chemistry and connection between them, and this was a fun reminder as to why:

http://www.metro.us/newyork/entertainment/television/2014/09/28/five-scenes-that-prove-jess-is-rorys-true-love-on-gilmore-girls/

Edited by amensisterfriend

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/10/09/gilmore-girls-best-episodes/

Entertainment Weekly challenged itself to name just one best episode from each of the seven seasons. The picks were generally a little different than mine, but closer to mine than many other recently released lists, which have me wondering whether I watched the same show ;) (I'm thinking specifically of the one that declared the final episodes of S5, where Rory stole a yacht and dropped out pof Yale, the highlight of the series!) 

So now, of course, I need to ask you guys: What would YOU pick as your single favorite episode from each of the seven seasons?!

Hmmm...

It's VERY hard to limit myself to just one, and sometimes they change, but here they are:

Season 1: Rory's Birthday Parties - I love the juxtaposition between the Gilmore Mansion and Lorelei. It seems to highlight everyone's characters.

Season 2: Like Mother Like Daughter - I was with Rory all the way on this one and I'm glad she stood up for herself with the headmaster. The Lorelei/Emily stuff was cute too.

Season 3: Those Are Strings, Pinocchio - My favorite episode of the entire series. Everything about it was just...perfection.

Season 4: The Festival of Living Art - Not a great episode in terms of story movement, but its fun and pretty and I like the overall feel of it.

Season 5: Women of Questionable Morals - I like the near-reconciliation of Emily and Richard; the townie stuff was cute. Just a nice episode for me.

Season 6: Friday Night's All Right for Fighting - Just for the FND scene alone, I can watch it over and over. I thought it was really well-done.

Season 7: Will You be My Lorelei Gilmore? - Love love love Lane's baby shower stuff; It's the beginning of the end for Logan. :)

• Love 1

I love your list, Alina Ray! Especially...

Season 2: Like Mother Like Daughter - I was with Rory all the way on this one and I'm glad she stood up for herself with the headmaster. The Lorelei/Emily stuff was cute too.

You have no idea how happy it makes me to find other people who love this episode even a fraction as much as I do :) 

This is virtually impossible, but I think I'd go with...

1) Rory's Birthday Parties (Double Date is probably even more rewatchable for me, but RBP is such a rich, emotionally satisfying, quality episode IMO!) 

2) Like Mother, Like Daughter (I'll spare you guys more rambling about why I love this one!)

3) Those Are Strings...As Alina Ray noted, this episode is my idea of TV perfection :) As much as I love episodes like Lazy Hazy Days, They Shoot Gilmores and Let the Games Begin, nothing can top TAS,P for me! 

4) The Fundamental Things Apply---I know this is an odd choice, but it's just such a rewatchable, quintessential GG episode for me

5) I share Alina's love for Women of Questionable Morals and am also REALLY close to selecting Come Home here, but I've got to go with But Not as Cute as Pushkin 

6) Argh...do I have to?! Sidekick, if only by default! 

Love love love Lane's baby shower stuff; It's the beginning of the end for Logan. :)

7) I, too, love Will You Be My Lorelai Gilmore, Aline Ray, but I've got to go with Bon Voyage, because I'm a sentimental sap :) 

The authors of the Entertainment Weekly article seemed to favor the slightly more 'dramatic' and eventful episodes. I was actually glad to see them mention I can't Get Started, though, because while there are other S2 episodes I love even more (I'm obsessed with S2 overall!), I think it's a really awesome, underrated episode. 

• Love 1

Season 1: Rory's Dance. I'll go with it just to be different. I love Rory's Birthday Parties and could watch it endlessly on repeat, but Rory's Dance is good too.

Season 2: Presenting Lorelai Gilmore. Again, I'm trying to be different! I love Like Mother, Like Daughter as well. Also Help Wanted is up there because it has such good interaction with Richard and Lorelai, which is rare in the series.

Season 3: Dear Emily and Richard: After many years and many rewatches, I have come to the conclusion that this is my favorite Gilmore Girls episode. It is pretty much perfect in every way. (I'll put They Shoot Gilmores at 1a for this one)

Season 4: The Lorelais' First Day at Yale.  I love the shenanigans with the mattress and Luke's truck. And while season four was really boring when it first aired, it got much much better in later years.

Season 5: Wedding Bell Blues: Is it wrong that my favorite scene in this episode is when Babette scares Luke in the beginning?

Season 6: I'll also go with Friday Night's All Right For Fighting -- but not just for the FND scene. I love Lorelai's British accent when she's imitating Emily. Gets me every time.

Season 7: Didn't happen.

• Love 1

S1: Donna Reed
After being tempted by Birthday, Forgiveness and Double Date, I settled on Donna Reed, just because it's so full of fun. If I could pull segments together into one episode, I'd take the whole Rachel sequence, from finding the sweat jacket to her saying goodbye. I like that best.

S2: Dead Uncles
the visit from Mia, apartment hunting, pushing Jess in the lake and the chuppah were all strong contenders, but Rory taking charge of Jess really gave this episode the edge.

S3: Pinocchio
Lorelai's dream and the Yale visit, especially the Jess/Rory interaction, were both important. Also the Poes and the day after the keg party were great. Pinocchio just had it all, bigger and better than the others

S4: Tights
Tights beats out Raincoats because of the dance and its song, but almost as important is the relationship between Luke and Jess. Marvelous moments in this episode. If Kirk hadn't screamed and L&L got to have some followup to the kiss, Raincoats might have come closer.

S5: Written in the Stars
I'm very moved by Logan's ability to draw Rory out without her angsting over the situation, so Jump was also very important to me. In Written, Lorelai's reaction in the restaurant baffled me a little, but the scene at Luke's apartment made up for it.

S6: Fight Face
This is not important to me because of Rory, although I have a lot of respect for her slow growth in this season. Fight Face wins because of the truth-telling during the repair on Lorelai's house. L&L are great, and Rory's dark moments in the diner are memorable.

S7: The Long Morrow
I perversely like the rocket metaphor for Logan and Rory, but this whole season revolves around the acting in the sad moments. After debating Fisticuffs, the dark moment Luke experiences when Liz and TJ stay over, and both L&L's performances in Karaoke, I settled on the Long Morrow simply because of Patterson's acting in the elopement moments. All in all, though, I thought this was really his season when it came to acting. Lorelai just missed the boat, and Rory was simply ticking off all the "successful college student moments," not a lot of meat for her.

• Love 1

Don't know if we classify IMDB as media, per se, but I found these quotes from ASP interesting. 

Link: http://www.imdb.com/name/nm0792371/bio?ref_=nm_ov_bio_sm

The character of Anna was originally to have a strong enough presence to be a potential threat to the character of Lorelai. However, after Sherman-Palladino left the show, the producers changed the direction originally intended for the character, as they decided to make her a villain in a custody battle.

So it looks like the replacing producers created the April character. If ASP like Fenn so much I wonder why she wasn't cast as Lorelai.

Also on the web, although again not news media, I've uploaded the timeline I created for GG. I was curious to see what happened when, and before I knew it, I decided I might as well complete some information for each episode. 

There's also an Excel file you can download and keep a copy for yourself if you are so inclined.

http://junienmomo.wordpress.com/gilmore-girls-timeline/

• Love 1
The character of Anna was originally to have a strong enough presence to be a potential threat to the character of Lorelai. However, after Sherman-Palladino left the show, the producers changed the direction originally intended for the character, as they decided to make her a villain in a custody battle.

Interesting, Juniemomo! Thanks for passing that along. I'm kind of torn here: On one hand, I couldn't stand the Anna we got and didn't really get her role and motivations at all. On the other, though, I'm not sure making her a viable love interest for Luke would have been a better direction. I haven't met many people, L/L shippers or otherwise, who feel that the Lorelai/Luke pairing lacked a sufficient number of setbacks, stumbling blocks and outside love interests, you know?! They certainly had more than enough issues in S6-S7 without turning Anna into Nicole 2.0, aka another what's-the-point-since-they-won't-end-up-together-anyway love interest :) 

The funny thing is, the writers missed the easiest way to create a dangerous rift in the relationship between L&L. 

Luke. There was a reason he wore baggy jeans and flannel shirts all the time. My guess is that nice clothes attracted the wrong kind of woman (the kind that were interested in him, but that he didn't have the gut feeling for them).

Put Luke in the diner in nice clothes every day, not GQ nice, although why not, but nice-fitting jeans and a tucked-in, close-fitting shirt. There would be women lined up at the door, friendlier and more direct in their interest than Lorelai. Think about crazy Carrie, only they're not crazy. 

One of the things I believe she liked about their friendship was that he wasn't too interested in finding other women. If they found him, that would have piqued Lorelai's interest as well as showed her the danger of taking him for granted.

One of the things I believe she liked about their friendship was that he wasn't too interested in finding other women. If they found him, that would have piqued Lorelai's interest as well as showed her the danger of taking him for granted.

I strongly disagree, but I'll take my reply to the UO thread.