Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Start Topic

7 hours ago, shron17 said:

This theory actually makes a lot of sense to me in terms of both the original series and the revival.  But does this mean the series was supposed to end with Rory writing a book?

Maybe since Episode 1.8 Love and War and Snow ;) 

L: Tsk. You are mocking your mother, the woman who birthed you.

R: I'm sorry.

L: During a snowstorm, might I add.

R: So how soon is it supposed to hit?

L: Hmm. Tomorrow. Definitely tomorrow.

R: Okay, then tomorrow it is.

L: What?

R: You, me, donuts, coffee, standing out in a snowstorm. . .

L: At midnight?

R: At midnight.

L: You are my favorite daughter!

R: So how many times are you gonna listen to that?

L: 'Til it stops being sexy.

R: Stop! That's my teacher you're talking about! I have to respect him.

L: Okay, well if it makes you feel any better, while he's being sexy, he's also being grammatically correct?

R: Better. Thank you.

L: Sorry I woke you up.

R: That's okay. Its all fodder for the tell all. Goodnight.

L: Goodnight.

• Love 2
53 minutes ago, tarotx said:

R: That's okay. Its all fodder for the tell all. Goodnight.

Hmm, forgot about that.  It seems like Rory might have referred to something like that at least one other time but I can't recall right now.  It always just came off like a joke.

If there's another season of the revival, all we need to confirm the theory is a scene where Rory is showing her manuscript to her editor Jess, and he says something like, "Hmm it's really good, I mean it's excellent, but I think it would be more effective if you started the story when you got accepted into Chilton. In media res and all that jazz, huh? You can fill in the back story bit by bit as you go along".

It would explain why there is very little in GG about Lorelei's early struggles, or even the conflict with her parents when she and Rory lived with them. Rory would want to be sensitive to her mother and grandmother (and her grandfather's memory). Of course, those early struggles are exactly what readers would want to learn about and understand, so it does seem to make the book even harder to sell. I guess you could handwave it as those darned TV executives messing around with Rory's creative vision. Like Wild, the book is more authentic than the TV show we watched ...    

• Love 3
4 minutes ago, Pam Poovey said:

Of course, those early struggles are exactly what readers would want to learn about and understand,

Not me, I'm glad the show started where it did (and that's where the book should start)! The early years always sounded like a snooze, to me. "We lived in a shed, we shunned the grandparents, and Rory was precious." Heh.

• Love 1

Okay we'll go with yours and Jess' vision! I guess I've read/read of a lot of successful memoirs like Angela's Ashes or Wild which really bring home the early struggles part of the story so that the later success/happiness seems richly won. Not that Lorelei and Rory ever did any heavy duty struggling in charming little Stars Hollow, where kind innkeepers give you a job and free accommodation just because you have a baby and a certain look in your eyes.

• Love 3

It's a little funny and some of their criticisms I don't take seriously. I think we're supposed to see the series and revival as a whole. It's an interesting theory, and made me think. Especially since so many people are critical of the girls closeness and don't think it's real. (How many of those people are familiar with the dynamics of a teen/young something parent with a child remains to be seen. Because I know several parents who had their kids young and it can result in a different parental relationship.)

10 hours ago, shron17 said:

This theory actually makes a lot of sense to me in terms of both the original series and the revival.  But does this mean the series was supposed to end with Rory writing a book?

It would make sense since so much time has been spent on how much Rory loves literature. Her choice to be a journalist always felt wrong to me, being an author fits better. 

2 hours ago, tarotx said:

Maybe since Episode 1.8 Love and War and Snow ;) 

Ha! There's also a mention in one of the early seasons of Rory having a list. She tells Lorelai it's going on the list. 

• Love 2
38 minutes ago, Pam Poovey said:

Not that Lorelei and Rory ever did any heavy duty struggling in charming little Stars Hollow, where kind innkeepers give you a job and free accommodation just because you have a baby and a certain look in your eyes.

Yeah that's the thing - it's like a rags-to-riches story told by Disney. ASP's mentions of those days are already pretty twee, so I can just imagine the long version. Bluebirds help Lorelai become Queen of the Maids while soft little bunnies let Rory use them as a pillow!

• Love 6

I agree that the theory about the idyllic aspects of GG being a product of Rory's fiction---um, that is, carefully crafted autobiography---was mostly in jest, but I find it really fascinating! The revival had a few of us questioning whether these characters had always been unlikable, whether AS-P's underlying themes and messages were always more bitter and cynical than some of us initially believed, etc. It kind of blew my weird little mind to think about some of the more over-the-top twee, cutesy, perfect, adorably quirky etc. aspects of the show being Rory's deliberately glossed over version of a grimmer reality.

What if they really DID struggle financially? What if they were often mocked by the town rather than so revered by it? What if most of their male romantic interests actually ran from Lorelai and Rory soon after getting to know them instead of all staying hung up on the GGs for approximately forever? 

Many of us cling to a few happiness-preserving, ego-maintaining delusions, right?! And many of us look back on things as we need and want to see them rather than as they actually were. What if aspects of the series really did represent Rory and Lorelai's need to see themselves and their lives as better and happier than they ever actually were?! Again, I know that wasn't AS-P's intention, and I know the likelihood of the theory proposed in that video being valid are tantamount to the odds of me keeping my resolution to consume less caffeine (i.e., somewhere around .00001%), but I find it a really interesting take on some of the discrepancies that nagged at a few of us throughout the series. Mostly I just want a few of the talented fanfic writers here to explore the possible gap between Rory and Lorelai's version of themselves and the lives they led vs. the possible reality :)

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 8

It is an interesting theory, and as long as it remains just a theory I could really enjoy exploring it.

But if it ever becomes canon?  I will revolt.  It still pisses me off that that's the route they went with on Roseanne.

Although if everything was accurate for the most part and it ended up it was just 'as seen through Rory's eyes' I would be okay with that, I guess.  Shoot, I've even commented before that I wonder if the perceived discrepancies in some of the characters, is because we're supposed to be seeing them through the eyes of a Gilmore.  Most notably, the way some fans feel Dean changed between S1 and S2 - it would make sense that he went from being Perfect!Cute!Dean to being just another guy with issues controlling his anger and jealousy, if we were supposed to be seeing him through Rory's eyes.  As she became more disenchanted with him, so did we.

Cripes.  Maybe Jess really was the hell-raising hoodlum the town thought he was, and it was just Rory's perception that he wasn't all that bad, so that became our perception.  I think I need to go lie down.

• Love 10

I know, right?! And what if Rory, who to so many viewers clearly seemed more passionate about and well-suited for a career related to novels/fiction/etc. than journalism, was just clinging to this youthful dream of herself as a hard hitting journalist and future Christine Amanpour even as she was ACTUALLY looking back as a novelist who was giving us this (mostly fictional!) account of her life all along and...ugh, now I need to lie down too :) 

Edited by amensisterfriend
  • Love 5
2 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

But if it ever becomes canon?  I will revolt.  

It would leave a bad taste in my mouth, but pretty much everything in the revival did so I guess I'm already in revolt (revolting?).

As you say, you begin to question everything. Was Paris really that insane, or was that Rory trying to cast some shade on her high-achieving academic rival? Did she try to make Logan more sympathetic than he really was, since he is (probably) her child's father, and a possible source of its financial support? Did Jess really get it together so well in later life, or is she painting her editor in flattering colours? Was Stars Hollow even that charming and quirky, or was that to provide some much-needed comic relief?   

*lying down after rifling through Paris' medicine cabinet for something soothing*

• Love 6

I choose to keep my Stars Hollow as I have always seen it. Rory, like a lot of people didn't achieve everything like she hoped she would, she f'ed up in a few ways, and now she is trying to get it together. 

• Love 5
4 hours ago, Taryn74 said:

Although if everything was accurate for the most part and it ended up it was just 'as seen through Rory's eyes' I would be okay with that, I guess.  Shoot, I've even commented before that I wonder if the perceived discrepancies in some of the characters, is because we're supposed to be seeing them through the eyes of a Gilmore.  Most notably, the way some fans feel Dean changed between S1 and S2 - it would make sense that he went from being Perfect!Cute!Dean to being just another guy with issues controlling his anger and jealousy, if we were supposed to be seeing him through Rory's eyes.  As she became more disenchanted with him, so did we.

Cripes.  Maybe Jess really was the hell-raising hoodlum the town thought he was, and it was just Rory's perception that he wasn't all that bad, so that became our perception.  I think I need to go lie down.

Well, we are seeing things from Lorelai and Rory's perspective. Even when certain characters have real world flaws, I tend to side with them if they are the protagonist(s). It's their story. I love House of Cards and the protagonist on that show is a real bastard, but I still cheer him on.

That's a good point about Dean. (Although Rory was pretty clear that she thought he was a great guy even when she was dating Jess.) It makes you think. Every love interest for the girls falls under this a bit. That would explain the criticism the show gets for making one guy look good, so the other has to be screwing up. 

• Love 1

Note: I just recalled that ASF posted this recently too. Consider this more a comment on her post than an original media post.

This guy's perspective as a non-GG fan is funny, snarky, often valid, and about ten minutes long.

I liked his opinion primarily because it highlights things I both love and hate about the show.

Edited by junienmomo
  • Love 4

Man, that was pretty hilarious. From "Gilly" Gilmore to pointless scenes to Kirk (I so agree, but at the same time, I do know it mostly has to do with ASP having to fill 90 minutes). I also love his review on Gilly's behaviour. 

I really want to see this guy's reviews for the last three episodes, if he can stomach them. 

• Love 2
On 1/5/2017 at 2:02 AM, junienmomo said:

This guy's perspective as a non-GG fan is funny, snarky, often valid, and about ten minutes long.

I finally remembered to watch this!  OMG I was dying!!!  Very spot on.

"First World Problems: The TV Show"

Hahahahahahahahaha

• Love 2

I haven't ventured over here yet because I didn't make it through "Summer" of the revival. I could actually feel my once high regard for the entire series evaporating, so I had to stop. Maybe one day I'll watch the rest, and I did hear that "Fall" is an improvement over the other installments, though that is a really low bar.

The most heartbreaking aspect of it for me was having to reevaluate my entire opinion of Rory. This article summed up many of my thoughts in an amusing way---

https://www.buzzfeed.com/sheridanwatson/bye-bye-rory?utm_term=.pjVNwmez0#.qnQlyBYZG

• Love 2
On 1/30/2017 at 6:30 PM, whateverhappened said:

I haven't ventured over here yet because I didn't make it through "Summer" of the revival. I could actually feel my once high regard for the entire series evaporating, so I had to stop. Maybe one day I'll watch the rest, and I did hear that "Fall" is an improvement over the other installments, though that is a really low bar.

Fall is definitely the best episode. The best thing I did for myself on revival release day was give into the temptation to watch Fall first. It wasn't about the four words, it was about how the writers were going to leave the characters when it was over. It made the other three episodes so much more tolerable.

• Love 1

I'm not sure I agree with all of this, but I'm posting it because there's some interesting and sometimes amusingly phrased food for thought!

http://www.thefrisky.com/2016-12-01/was-gilmore-girls-always-as-racist-homophobic-and-fat-shaming-as-the-revival-is/

Same with this one

http://www.theverge.com/2016/11/28/13765088/gilmore-girls-year-in-the-life-review-netflix

Edited by whateverhappened
  • Love 1
1 hour ago, FictionLover said:
9 minutes ago, lulu1960 said:

I was wondering how long it would take for people to not like the idea. I for one would watch.

Oh god, I'd watch because I couldn't help myself but it wouldn't be a hopeful experience. It makes me so sad because I've actually given up on a happy ending for the characters, particularly Rory. The revival had so many hopes and opportunities, and squandered literally all of them. Emily is the only character that developed, it was nice Lorelai and Luke got married but they were so lackluster for the rest of it, Rory - as discussed enough - was a total mess, and secondary characters like Lane, Paris, Logan and Jess either weren't given storylines or left hanging. I just can't go into another revival hoping anything will get concluded when chances are it will only get worse. (Luke and Lorelai split up again? Rory rehashes the L/L/C triangle with Logan and Jess? Emily and Lorelai start fighting again? Ughhhh. For ASP the characters being happy = death of the show, so it's only ever going to be melodrama. Just give it to the fans now). 

That said, if I heard someone else was writing another GG season I might actually feel optimistic....

• Love 7
7 minutes ago, TimetravellingBW said:

That said, if I heard someone else was writing another GG season I might actually feel optimistic....

Ditto to that.  Ditch ASP and I might watch.  Not if she and Danny Boy do the writing.

• Love 5

I'm not looking forward to a second season, but I'd 100% watch. Unfortunately for me, I tend to stick with shows in some capacity to see how they end. Also, I totally knew that they left the revival open ended for a reason. ASP knew that her last four words would cause a lot of curiosity and would need more closure, and that's why she probably stuck with it. She can say all she wants that she and Daniel need to step back from Gilmore Girls or whatever her excuse is, but she's probably thrilled that there's talks for a season 2 and that it could very well happen.

• Love 5
7 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

I'm not looking forward to a second season, but I'd 100% watch. Unfortunately for me, I tend to stick with shows in some capacity to see how they end. Also, I totally knew that they left the revival open ended for a reason. ASP knew that her last four words would cause a lot of curiosity and would need more closure, and that's why she probably stuck with it. She can say all she wants that she and Daniel need to step back from Gilmore Girls or whatever her excuse is, but she's probably thrilled that there's talks for a season 2 and that it could very well happen.

All of this.

10 hours ago, Lady Calypso said:

Totally agree with this. When I saw the story about the talks for another season, my first thought was "Meh." There were aspects of the revival I liked, a lot I didn't, and I was okay with it ending where it did. That being said, I'll watch it if it happens, but I won't hold out much hope for being happy with it.

Based on how the revival ended, ASP/DP were angling to do additional episodes and were keeping their fingers crossed that it would be received well enough for them to push for those additional episodes. I wasn't pleased either with the story they told, I'd most likely watch whatever the new episodes will be just because I've invested far too much of my life into GG to walk away now! I'm not optimistic on what we will get as far a story. 

• Love 5
(edited)
30 minutes ago, msani19 said:

I'm not optimistic on what we will get as far a story. 

Tell me about it. I'm basically in for the long haul, but in particular I have little trust that ASP can write a pregnancy/new parenthood storyline that isn't a joke.  I said to my husband, I expect ASP to top herself with a second season and double the musical numbers/ dream sequences. With the crowning achievement being a dream musical sequence in the delivery room, complete with Lorelai and the medical staff soft-shoeing it, Luke getting a waiting room solo, Rory in her designer hospital gown sleepwalking through the whole birth, and Logan, Paul and the Wookie as the possible daddy Greek Chorus. The climax will be Kirk dressed as the stork, flying in with plastic doll baby Gilmore.

Crap, I hope I didn't give ASP&co ideas lol.

Edited by HeySandyStrange
  • Love 9
6 minutes ago, HeySandyStrange said:

Tell me about. I'm basically in for the long haul, but in particular I have little trust that ASP can write a pregnancy/new parenthood storyline that isn't a joke.  I said to my husband, I expect ASP to top herself with a second season and double the musical numbers/ dream sequences. With the crowning achievement being a dream musical sequence in the delivery room, complete with Lorelai and the medical staff soft-shoeing it, Luke getting a waiting room solo, Rory in her designer hospital gown sleepwalking through the whole birth, and Logan, Paul and the Wookie as the possible daddy Greek Chorus. The climax will be Kirk dressed as the stork, flying in with plastic doll baby Gilmore.

Crap, I hope I didn't give ASP&co ideas lol.

Is it bad that I picture Lorelai taking care of the baby with Luke while Rory is off, gallivanting in London, trying to win Logan back while fumbling with finding a new job away from Stars Hollow? I highly doubt ASP can write a story around a baby. She couldn't do it with Gigi, with Sookie's two kids, or with Doula. Hell, they couldn't do it with April, and she was a thirteen year old girl. The babies were just props for whatever was going on in the scenes that they were in. I can't very well see Baby Gilmore being in many scenes especially with Rory, since she'll most likely being doing fifty book tours and traveling to London to deal with Logan Huntzberger drama. 

But this discussion is best left for another thread, so I'll leave my fears/speculation at that. 

• Love 4
(edited)

Netflix is considering it because of it's high ratings. There is no way another series will get them the same viewers that the first one did. Too many disappointed viewers not to mention the hype of GG coming back after 9 years. Hopefully they will conduct a marketing survey first.

Edited by FictionLover
  • Love 5