Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, AnotherCastle said:

It was a very entertaining podcast. Long, too. He teased Matt Czuchry and Jared Padelecki to provide as good a podcast to the Gilmore Guys as he did. At one point, one interviewer commented on Jess' resemblance to a young Bruce Springsteen, which devolved into a similar comment about Luke as well, so I played with some photos just for fun. That image is here on tumblr.

• Love 1

Wow, how refreshing.  In this world of celebrity oversharing and caring on social media my fondness for Alexis Bledel just skyrocketed.  Let's hope more and more of them realise we don't need to know every teeny, tiny detail of their weird and wacky lives.  The more celebrities that shut it down on social media the better -- the oversharing has gotten way out of control and way, way, way too image driven!!

• Love 2

Biggest GG MIstakes

---I saw the above (obviously subjective!) rankings of the biggest mistakes GG ever made and am eager to know if you agree that these are GG's most egregious mistakes and if you agree with the order the writer put them in. Warning: there are a couple of factual errors guaranteed to irk some of us, like claiming that Rory became friends with Lucy and Olivia during her sophomore year at Yale when we fanatics know those annoyances made their appearance in her SENIOR year! 

I'm not sure that ranking Digger way up there as a mistake is valid.  He was no worse than any of the other Lorelai's Revolving Door boyfriends, he just lasted a few extra episodes  At least he didn't just sort of fade away, never to be heard of again.

The rest I am good with although there is a longer list of mistakes than is listed.

• Love 2
50 minutes ago, amensisterfriend said:

Biggest GG MIstakes

---I saw the above (obviously subjective!) rankings of the biggest mistakes GG ever made and am eager to know if you agree that these are GG's most egregious mistakes and if you agree with the order the writer put them in. Warning: there are a couple of factual errors guaranteed to irk some of us, like claiming that Rory became friends with Lucy and Olivia during her sophomore year at Yale when we fanatics know those annoyances made their appearance in her SENIOR year! 

The first three for sure.  I think the marriage to Nicole was a bigger mistake than Rachael. 

• Love 2

I agree with all of them but Digger and Rachel. And in addition to dumbing Dean down each year, they seemed to do the same with Luke. I guess once you start dating a Gilmore Girl, your IQ drops significantly.

• Love 4

I'm completely on board with you guys: I like Digger, think Nicole and Luke's ridiculous marriage to her was a far worse character/storyline than Rachel's short stint in S1, and agree that Luke (and arguably a few others!) was also a victim of Dean's decrease in both IQ and likability as the seasons progressed. 

As a Life and Death Brigade hater, the writer's mention of them amused me :) I do wish that Rory dropping out of college and stealing a yacht because she was criticized had warranted a mention along with the Lorelai/Rory rift in S6, which I wasn't necessarily against in theory but ultimately IMO led to zero change, growth etc. I guess this was implied in the general criticism of shorter-haired Rory, though! 

although there is a longer list of mistakes than is listed.

Ha! I think that a chronicle all of GG's missteps would have made for FAR too lengthy an article :) 

• Love 2

Another nitpick from the article - they say Jess's Dad was married to (Whatever Sherilynn's character was named) and the daughter was his sister. Neither is true. That, to me, is worse than the Soph friends who appeared Senior year gaffe.

I agree with all but the Digger one and the Dean one mainly because I always thought he was an agressive tool. Revisiting the Dean/Rory relationship in s4 is the most egregious mistake ASP ever made when it comes to GG, imo, which isn't mentioned on the list, followed by ruining Jess' character so he could be sent to Spin-off land (#9).

• Love 2
On May 30, 2016 at 2:35 PM, chessiegal said:

Another nitpick from the article - they say Jess's Dad was married to (Whatever Sherilynn's character was named) and the daughter was his sister. Neither is true. That, to me, is worse than the Soph friends who appeared Senior year gaffe.

A month late, but the article is pointing out that ASP took the characters/actors/premise for the failed Jess series/backdoor pilot and shoved them into GG. For example, Sherilynn Fenn really was supposed to be involved.

• Useful 1
2 hours ago, CheeseBurgh said:

I read this blog and I thought it had so many interesting and relevant points. A lot of it has to do with frustrations of Amy Sherman Palladino and how women are treated on the show. I found it really fascinating! I hope you do too.

http://kaylee-jade.com/feminism/femivision-gilmore-girls-through-the-eyes-of-feminism/

She only had the one post so far? The author spoke more of homophobia than of feminism. 

If you're interested in the feminist angle, I recommend either the free online thesis https://etd.ohiolink.edu/rws_etd/document/get/akron1276797081/inline 

or the book of essays Gilmore Girls and the Politics of Identity by Ritch Calvin. 

I wonder why it is taking Netflix so long to set a launch date for this?  Longmire just wrapped up 3 months of filming 10 episodes that will be over an hour each and Netflix already announced  the launch date of September 23.  GG is considerably shorter so what gives?  It's not like when they were on a network and had to trim things down to fit a time slot.  On Netflix the length of each episode isn't set in stone so there shouldn't be as much angst over scenes running long.

• Love 1

I agree, and GG is already finished filming up to reshoots. MST3K reboot was just announced to be on Netflix and sounds like they are planning to air by the winter due to the Christmas Episode and that will have 14 episodes total. I mean if they plan on doing these episodes with a season theme according to the song. You think at the worst, October because Luke Cage premiers in September and Iron Fist is set for February and Fuller House season 2 around January. Get going Netflix. 

I haven't seen any reports that they'll stream the TCA panel, but it might wind up on Youtube. I would also check Twitter tomorrow, as I'm sure some of the journalists will be tweeting during the event. Ausiello will likely have a wrapup afterward.

• Love 1

Today's article on the Netflix series has Amy saying she did not want the episodes all released at the same time, because we would go right to the "final four words" and then spoil them.  Well, it had not occurred to me until she said that!  I'm still going to watch the news episodes multiple times, even if I know the "four words" in advance!   (No spoilers in the link below:)

http://www.moviefone.com/2016/07/29/gilmore-girls-creator-dont-spoil-final-four-words/

Very local to Annapolis, MD media news - I read in the local paper that one of the plebes at the Naval Academy told a reporter at her first day of a weekend of leave since Induction Day 6 weeks ago she planned to spend some of it binge watching Gilmore Girls. How cute is that?

Edited by chessiegal
  • Love 2

Gala magazine in Germany did a spread on the revival at the end of July. 

Revival pics link, nothing other than the usual spoilers here:

Additionally, they did a series of photos about Lauren Graham's face evolution. Turns out she started using Botox very early on in the original series.

link: http://www.gala.de/beauty-fashion/beauty/beauty-verwandlung-der-jugendwahn-von-lauren-graham_1433250-i10347562.html 

10 hours ago, junienmomo said:

Additionally, they did a series of photos about Lauren Graham's face evolution. Turns out she started using Botox very early on in the original series.

link: http://www.gala.de/beauty-fashion/beauty/beauty-verwandlung-der-jugendwahn-von-lauren-graham_1433250-i10347562.html 

Not surprised, her face really changed between the first season and the later seasons. The few signs of aging Lauren had in the beginning smoothed out over the years.