Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Start Topic

GILMORE GIRLS: A YEAR IN THE LIFE
Available on DVD and Digital Just in Time for Holiday Gift-Giving on November 28, 2017 
Also Available on Blu-rayTM from Warner Archive Collection

BURBANK, CA (August 1, 2017) – We take you back to the nostalgic Stars Hollow for the ultimate revival of the adored series, Gilmore Girls. The coffee-loving, fast-talking, mother and daughter duo are back just as you remembered them as Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) releases Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life on DVD on November 28, 2017. Take a stroll down memory lane with four 90-minute seasonal chapters, directed, written, and executive produced by series creator Amy Sherman-Palladino and Daniel Palladino. Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life will be priced to own on DVD at $24.98 SRP. The limited series will also be available to own on Digital on November 28, 2017.

To accommodate fan requests, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life is also available on Blu-rayTM courtesy of Warner Archive Collection. The Blu-rayTM release includes the same content as the DVD, and is also arriving November 28, 2017. Warner Archive Blu-ray releases are found at Amazon.com and all online retailers.

Nearly ten years after the original series ended, Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life begins, Lorelai still runs the Dragonfly Inn (and chugs coffee like it's water) and Rory, now 32, has experienced some career success. As Rory works through job-related struggles and Lorelai deals with some unresolved issues of her own, Emily Gilmore has been handling the loss of her dear husband, Richard. Emily is at a major crossroads in her life, recently widowed and trying to figure out what to do next. Richard's death forces Emily and Lorelai to finally reexamine their own fraught relationship, which hasn't changed much since the beginning of the series.

“Years after the original series ended and with 6 million DVD units sold, Gilmore Girls continues to have an incredibly loyal fan base.  We are thrilled to be able to release this DVD for fans to complete their collections,” said Rosemary Markson, WBHE Senior Vice President, Television Marketing. “We will definitely miss our beloved friends from Stars Hollow, but this release will enable us to relive the final moments, laughs and loves of this incredible series over and over again.”

Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life stars Lauren Graham (Parenthood), Alexis Bledel (The Sisterhood of the Traveling Pants), Kelly Bishop (The Good Wife) and Scott Patterson (Saw V, Saw IV), and Matt Czuchry (The Good Wife). The mini-series also includes special guest appearances by original cast members including Oscar nominee, Melissa McCarthy (Mike & Molly, Bridesmaids), Milo Ventimiglia (This Is Us), Liza Weil (How To Get Away With Murder), Jared Padalecki (Supernatural), Yanic Truesdale (Rumours), Keiko Agena (Transformers: Dark of the Moon) and Sean Gunn (Guardians of the Galaxy).

FOUR 90-MINUTE SEASONAL CHAPTERS
Winter
Spring
Summer
Fall

ABOUT DIGITAL
Gilmore Girls: A Year in the Life is also currently available to own on Digital, allowing consumers to instantly stream and download all episodes to watch anywhere and anytime on their favorite devices.  Digital movies and TV shows are available from various digital retailers including Amazon Video, CinemaNow, iTunes, PlayStation, Vudu, Xbox and others.

About Warner Bros. Home Entertainment Inc.
Warner Bros. Home Entertainment (WBHE) brings together Warner Bros. Entertainment's home video, digital distribution and interactive entertainment businesses in order to maximize current and next-generation distribution scenarios. An industry leader since its inception, WBHE oversees the global distribution of content through packaged goods (Blu-ray Disc™ and DVD) and digital media in the form of electronic sell-through and video-on-demand via cable, satellite, online and mobile channels, and is a significant developer and publisher for console and online video game titles worldwide. WBHE distributes its product through third party retail partners and licensees.

http://www.ramascreen.com/gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-coming-112817-to-blu-ray-dvd-here-are-details/

• Love 1

I bought Season 6 and 7 to complete my collection. I think I've decided enough is enough, and I will not be adding these!

1 hour ago, fluffy said:

http://www.tvguide.com/news/gilmore-girls-a-year-in-the-life-logan/

I know that people who hated Logan all along will disagree with this, but I think it made some very valid points. 

LOL! 

They won't get an argument from me.

I agree with the article but this quote stood out  

So why is the Logan we saw in A Year in the Life a liar and philanderer?

Because he needed to be to fit the ending.

This can be applied to everyone and everything in the revival. Not just Rory and Logan. That is why the revival was a failure 

• Love 7
On 8/5/2017 at 1:28 PM, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

They won't get an argument from me.

I agree with the article but this quote stood out  

This can be applied to everyone and everything in the revival. Not just Rory and Logan. That is why the revival was a failure 

Aside from Emily missing L&L's nighttime wedding, I thought she got a good ending in the revival, and that Kelly Bishop did a fabulous job. I thought LW and MV did a good job with their roles too.  The Jess character seemed to be an even more grounded, mature version of the guy we saw in Philadelphia when Rory, Luke and April visited the small press shop where he worked. 

Logan of the AYITL was a continuation of *the Logan character AS-P created during the series.*  The writing for AYITL never acknowledged that Logan and Rory had been serious, that Richard's last on-screen words to Lorelai were complimentary (at Rory's surprise party), that Rory's first post-Yale writing job was covering Obama on the campaign trail, or that Luke had made an effort to be  a good father to April. I was taken aback by Lorelai and Luke's conversation in his diner, where she said he didn't get to have the experience of raising a child and seeing his child graduate.  He helped raise April starting at almost 13 years old. I also don't believe Luke would miss April's high school graduation! That conversation was written like April didn't exist. 

It seems like the only thing AS-P acknowledged in AYITL's writing, which she didn't create during the series, was that line or two in the therapist's office when Lorelai said she and Rory's father were married briefly. 

• Love 5

As someone who actually enjoyed the miniseries, I probably won't bother with the DVD if there's no special features offered at all, what a disappointment! I remember the actor who played Michel indicated that there was *a lot* of his footage cut from the final episodes, and fans also speculated that there was supposed to be more of Jess than there ultimately was, so why not include that at least? I wasn't necessarily expecting a commentary, a gag reel, and a featurette with behind the scenes footage (although they would have been very welcome!), but it wouldn't have cost them any extra work to at least throw the deleted scenes on there, or heck how about the recent ATX cast reunion, I would love my own copy of those interviews.

A bare-bones release is barely worth bothering with when the episodes are up on Netflix anyway. And, not to keep on moaning, but even the cover they choose for it is pretty basic-looking, there have been some much nicer official photo shoots with Alexis and Lauren that they could have used. 

And on another note, congrats to Alexis, a well-deserved win!

Edited by Frelling Tralk
  • Love 1
11 hours ago, Frelling Tralk said:

As someone who actually enjoyed the miniseries, I probably won't bother with the DVD if there's no special features offered at all, what a disappointment! I remember the actor who played Michel indicated that there was *a lot* of his footage cut from the final episodes, and fans also speculated that there was supposed to be more of Jess than there ultimately was, so why not include that at least? I wasn't necessarily expecting a commentary, a gag reel, and a featurette with behind the scenes footage (although they would have been very welcome!), but it wouldn't have cost them any extra work to at least throw the deleted scenes on there, or heck how about the recent ATX cast reunion, I would love my own copy of those interviews.

A bare-bones release is barely worth bothering with when the episodes are up on Netflix anyway. And, not to keep on moaning, but even the cover they choose for it is pretty basic-looking, there have been some much nicer official photo shoots with Alexis and Lauren that they could have used. 

And on another note, congrats to Alexis, a well-deserved win!

There was also a scene that Lauren spoke of her horseback riding too. I heard in an interview that Michele was shocked so much of his scene buying the building was cut. Also, L&L's "intense adult scenes" SP teased with :)  

Did you hear they were not adding anything extra? It would be silly not to, they would sell more.

16 hours ago, FictionLover said:

Did you hear they were not adding anything extra? It would be silly not to, they would sell more

I went ahead and pre-ordered. I'm curious too if somewhere it is said that there are no extras. It's a three disc set so even if they put two episodes per disc that would still leave a third for extras and such.

19 hours ago, FictionLover said:

There was also a scene that Lauren spoke of her horseback riding too. I heard in an interview that Michele was shocked so much of his scene buying the building was cut. Also, L&L's "intense adult scenes" SP teased with :)  

Did you hear they were not adding anything extra? It would be silly not to, they would sell more.

I haven't heard that they're not being included, but there's no mention of any extras in the promo for the dvds, instead all that's mentioned is the 'FOUR 90-MINUTE SEASONAL CHAPTERS'. It would be pretty unusual for a promotional article to completely omit all mention of the unaired footage if it is going to be included, they usually always list the extras that you can expect with upcoming releases 

I'd love to be proven wrong though! As I said, there's not much incentive for me to buy them if it's just going to be the episodes that are already available for viewing on Netflix, but I'd definitely pick them up if they included some extra content 

1 hour ago, tarotx said:

Amy and Dan related but could affect GG-if you had hope for more. I think if we get new content it'll mean more passing of time and more Amy not focusing on GG until last minute. 

Amy Sherman-Palladino & Daniel Palladino Ink Amazon Studios Overall Deal

September 25, 2017 6:00am

http://deadline.com/2017/09/amy-sherman-palladino-daniel-palladino-overall-deal-amazon-studios-1202176072/

Yep, after reading that, I pretty much figure that ASP and Co won't be doing any more Gilmore Girls stuff. 

3 hours ago, lulu1960 said:

Yep, after reading that, I pretty much figure that ASP and Co won't be doing any more Gilmore Girls stuff. 

Personally, if AYITL is the best we got after 9 years, I don't care. Sorry for the fans that were excited for more though.

• Love 6

Yanic posted IG Live videos today of a promo for GG he filmed today. Do we have theories on why they're shooting new promos?

So if another one happens a few years down the line, I wonder if we'd be treated to another dose of everyone mentally being in the same place despite all the time that's passed. That was one of my biggest problems with the first revival, considering it was nine years since we had last saw them. And now Rory could have a toddler with her while being as awful as ever. Ugh.

• Love 2
22 hours ago, lemonandsage said:

A new interview with ASP on the possibility of more GG in the future: http://www.radiotimes.com/news/on-demand/2017-11-10/gilmore-girls-sequel/

Here's another article.

http://eonli.ne/2mnRaAE

"We're very close with these actors, especially Lauren [Graham], Kelly [Bishop] and Milo [Ventimiglia]...I think if the time was right and everybody is in the right space, because that's what happened before. Everybody was kind of, like, in a room together and we were kind of like, ‘Should we do this? Is everybody up—' because it has to have that feeling, it has to be like we're all in it to win it," Sherman-Palladino said. "It'd have to be the right format, the right story, so—we have allowed for it. The deal we have with Amazon has a Gilmore clause carved out, so it's definitely if we can all come together, it can happen. Nothing is in the works right now."

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tarotx said:

Here's another article.

http://eonli.ne/2mnRaAE

"We're very close with these actors, especially Lauren [Graham], Kelly [Bishop] and Milo [Ventimiglia]...I think if the time was right and everybody is in the right space, because that's what happened before. Everybody was kind of, like, in a room together and we were kind of like, ‘Should we do this? Is everybody up—' because it has to have that feeling, it has to be like we're all in it to win it," Sherman-Palladino said. "It'd have to be the right format, the right story, so—we have allowed for it. The deal we have with Amazon has a Gilmore clause carved out, so it's definitely if we can all come together, it can happen. Nothing is in the works right now."

Here is to everyone who said she intentionally left the show hanging so she is offered another season despite her touted ending.

• Love 1
On 12/09/2017 at 4:51 PM, lulu1960 said:

I went ahead and pre-ordered. I'm curious too if somewhere it is said that there are no extras. It's a three disc set so even if they put two episodes per disc that would still leave a third for extras and such.

I believe that the set has been released now, has anyone got any info on what deleted scenes and extras have been included?

On 12/2/2017 at 6:10 AM, Frelling Tralk said:

I believe that the set has been released now, has anyone got any info on what deleted scenes and extras have been included?

A scan at reviews on Amazon says there are no extras 

I’m really curious of sales of these DVDs and rewatch data of the Revival. I think as the novelty wears off, so would views/sales. It just doesn’t hold up as a continuation of the OS

Edited by Deputy Deputy CoS
6 hours ago, Deputy Deputy CoS said:

I’m really curious at sales if these DVDs and rewatch of the Revival.

Me, too, especially without any extras.  While there are a few folks on the forum that thought it was good, my feeling is the majority did not like it and therefore would not spend the money for something they would never re-watch especially when there were so many scenes that would require frequent use of the fast forward button.

10 minutes ago, FictionLover said:

Also, that he would be less than 100% on board with doing another one.

Since I would be 100% not going to watch, I guess I am in agreement.

• Love 1
(edited)
12 hours ago, Kohola3 said:

Since I would be 100% not going to watch, I guess I am in agreement.

I hated the surrogate storyline too. And then the whole bit about Luke not knowing how it worked. 

He seems more protective of the character he developed than he used to.

I may be curious enough to watch again but I certainly don’t care if they make another one. In an interview with ASP following the release of AYITL she said “Lorelai is happy for now”. It doesn’t seem like she plans on leaving her that way if she does continue it.

Edited by FictionLover
  • Love 1

In the interviews I have read, Scott seems to want the fans to be happy.  I seem to recall once he liked the “will they or won’t they” aspect of the L/L relationship and was surprised to hear the fans wanted them together and settled.  After that, I would see him say in interviews that the fans deserved to see L/L happy and get their middle.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he looks at the reunion scripts with an eye to the fans now, which seems to be in direct contrast to ASP.  Scott was 100% right about the surrogacy plot line.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, Crs97 said:

In the interviews I have read, Scott seems to want the fans to be happy.  I seem to recall once he liked the “will they or won’t they” aspect of the L/L relationship and was surprised to hear the fans wanted them together and settled.  After that, I would see him say in interviews that the fans deserved to see L/L happy and get their middle.  I wouldn’t be surprised if he looks at the reunion scripts with an eye to the fans now, which seems to be in direct contrast to ASP.  Scott was 100% right about the surrogacy plot line.

Agreed on the surrogacy. It’s interesting to see him questioning ASP because he always sung her praises...maybe he finally watched all 4 seasons and changed his mind!

• Love 2

Scott seems a bit in denial to me though when he talks about, “In my mind it’s just a foregone conclusion that we are going to have a child but not like that...I mean, of course he wants to have a child with her”. The whole reason the surrogacy came up was because they had left it too late to conceive naturally when Lorelai was pushing 50, so how exactly is them having a child together a foregone conclusion?

I mean I would agree that I think that Luke came off as pretty dumb when he didn’t seem to understand how surrogacy worked at all, so I could understand his objections to that part of it, but the impression I get is that Scott didn’t care for that storyline because he thinks that Luke and Lorelai should have been written as having a kid the old-fashioned way. Heck he almost seems to be under the impression that the characters decided to go for surrogacy instead just so that Amy could be wacky about it, but I thought it was pretty clear that Lorelai was only pursing surrogacy as a last-ditch effort

• Love 1
9 minutes ago, Frelling Tralk said:

Scott seems a bit in denial to me though when he talks about, “In my mind it’s just a foregone conclusion that we are going to have a child but not like that...I mean, of course he wants to have a child with her”. The whole reason the surrogacy came up was because they had left it too late to conceive naturally when Lorelai was pushing 50, so how exactly is them having a child together a foregone conclusion?

I mean I would agree that I think that Luke came off as pretty dumb when he didn’t seem to understand how surrogacy worked at all, so I could understand his objections to that part of it, but the impression I get is that Scott didn’t care for that storyline because he thinks that Luke and Lorelai should have been written as having a kid the old-fashioned way. Heck he almost seems to be under the impression that the characters decided to go for surrogacy instead just so that Amy could be wacky about it, but I thought it was pretty clear that Lorelai was only pursing surrogacy as a last-ditch effort

Obviously the man doesn’t have the best recall of the series. He also said something about Lorelai standing alone with snow falling around her after the wedding...rose pedals, buddy :)

But regardless, he is right, that bit was pretty bad. Not much in the revival about the couple was fulfilling except the end...and even that was a little too late for me.

• Love 2
On 3/7/2018 at 6:36 AM, FictionLover said:
On 3/7/2018 at 2:53 PM, Frelling Tralk said:

I mean I would agree that I think that Luke came off as pretty dumb when he didn’t seem to understand how surrogacy worked at all

This is probably the main reason he is questioning doing another season. He probably has more influence than he ever has and dumbing down his character more probably isn’t something he wants to do.

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I remembered that back in the TWOP days, one of the writers did a "fame audit" of the cast. I did some searching because, I really wanted to see how well they did or didn't nail the GG Cast's future prospects. Unsurprisingly, they got Melissa McCarthy's completely wrong. What's really interesting is Sean Gunn (Kirk), they mention his brother as an asset, but only because he was married to Jenna Fischer. I guess no one saw Guardians of the Galaxy coming that long ago. I do think that they were spot on about Kelly Bishop though, that woman can do WHATEVER she wants. I think the biggest surprise was Alexis Bledel. Like Guardians of the Galaxy, no one saw The Handmaid's Tale coming either. Anyway, it's a great read for anyone interested in looking back on the original cast and looking at their current projects. 

http://www.brilliantbutcancelled.com/show/gilmore-girls/fame-audit-the-cast-of-gilmore/

• Love 3

We're in Hamburg, Germany tonight, and as my husband was flipping through TV channels, there was Gilmore Girls dubbed in German. He flipped the channel too fast for me to figure out what episode it was. Hee.

On 5/1/2018 at 6:45 PM, MatildaMoody said:

Apologies if this has been posted before, but I remembered that back in the TWOP days, one of the writers did a "fame audit" of the cast. I did some searching because, I really wanted to see how well they did or didn't nail the GG Cast's future prospects. Unsurprisingly, they got Melissa McCarthy's completely wrong. What's really interesting is Sean Gunn (Kirk), they mention his brother as an asset, but only because he was married to Jenna Fischer. I guess no one saw Guardians of the Galaxy coming that long ago. I do think that they were spot on about Kelly Bishop though, that woman can do WHATEVER she wants. I think the biggest surprise was Alexis Bledel. Like Guardians of the Galaxy, no one saw The Handmaid's Tale coming either. Anyway, it's a great read for anyone interested in looking back on the original cast and looking at their current projects. 

http://www.brilliantbutcancelled.com/show/gilmore-girls/fame-audit-the-cast-of-gilmore/

That's funny about Sean Gunn because he was actually good friends with Jenna Fischer from childhood.