Type keyword(s) to search

Gilmore Girls in the Media

• Start Topic

Bringing this topic over from the other place.  For a show that's been off the air for 7 years now, it still gets media mentions--if you see one, come share it!

So this piece on Indiewire is why I wanted to open up this topic---5th paragraph focuses on Melissa McCarty as Sookie.

Kind of random but fun tidbit. Every Wednesday I like to participate in E News online chat on Twitter. Today's topic was reboots, sequels, reunions, etc. 

This was the question. 

Q4: Which off-the-air TV show NEEDS a reunion?

The tweet that I responded with. "@ENews I need to see my #GilmoreGirls. The ending just wasn't enough. #LukeandLorelai #eonlinechat"

I was happy when I got the notification that they favorited the tweet.

• Love 2

I saw an interview today with Melissa McCarthy on CBS Sunday Morning.  It was a little strange.  They referred to her current CBS show, Mike and Molly, as her "first big success," and no mention was made of Gilmore Girls, even though she was a co-star on that show for what, seven years?  I mean, I can certainly agree that she's a much bigger star now than she ever was on Gilmore Girls, but it was strange for them to act as though she hadn't already had a successful career on television prior to her current show. 

• Love 1

I miss Sookie too.  I read a comment just the other day, I think it was on the Forever Young Adult GG recaps but I don't remember for sure, that said something about MM dressing like a trucker in all of her roles.  It made me laugh but it also made me sad, because as Sookie she always looked so pretty and feminine and colorful and fun, and nobody gets to see that anymore.

• Love 1

I was discussing Melissa's roles as of late with some friends. While Sookie was a bit scattered at times she was never over the top (most times). I feel that she's pigeon holing herself into the "Will Ferrell/ JIm Carrey" of the female set. She's a lovely lady and I never thought of her as frumpy/unkempt on Gilmore Girls

• Love 2
(edited)

So I was looking on Amazon in hopes of possibly buying one of my best friends GG DVDs for her upcoming birthday (I try to Give the Gift of Gilmore whenever possible!), and I caught the end of the official Amazon review of S5:

"but it mined the best drama of its run with the season's last four episodes, which found Rory's confidence shaken to the core. To give any of the proceedings away would spoil the drama, but suffice it to say you will be glued to the TV for this season's final four hours; it's Gilmore Girls at its phenomenal best."

...wait, WHAT?! The last four episodes of S5 represent GG at its "phenomenal best"?! That cracked me up, because while I totally get that opinions on S5 differ radically (some fans rank it near the very top, others near the very bottom, and still others right in the middle!), and I do totally get why many java junkies were psyched about the proposal, I can honestly say I've never met any GG viewer who felt the last four episodes of S5 represented GG at its very best. I just felt compelled to share :) 

Edited by mstaken
  • Love 4

Maybe "the last of the best" -- that is, before the April years.  But no, those episodes were not the best by any stretch of the imagination.  I found the so-called newspaper internship tedious, and am always amazed at how few episodes involve the newspaper internship.  In memory, it seems like half a season, but no, just two episodes!  And these "final four" episodes also include the visit to the Huntzberger mansion (fourth episode from the end), and I hated how they interacted with each other and treated Rory.  I'd take almost any consecutive four episodes *before* these as the "best" instead of these! 

• Love 1

I don't care, Buzzfeed, I will forever stand by my support for S5 Mitchum. The man was not demonstrably wrong!

But whatever, I have my own issues with a list that ranks Colin and Finn ahead of 9-10 other dudes, Dave #11, and calls Lane and Zack a perfect couple anyway.   

• Love 2

I will forever stand by my support for S5 Mitchum. The man was not demonstrably wrong!

SO, SO true!  I actually laughed out loud when I saw Mitchum at the top of the list.  Whatever, buzzfeed.

a list that ranks Colin and Finn ahead of 9-10 other dudes,

*jaw drops*

I get that this stuff is wildly subjective, but in what universe does Colin rank ahead of, like, ANYONE?! I think I might even rank freaking TJ over Colin, and you guys know I do not say that lightly :) 

• Love 1

This one is a little dopey in that the brilliant proposed 'recasts' for the hypothetical but oh-please-let-it-happen movie nearly all boil down to suggesting that the original TV actor play his or her same role in the film...as if we could ever envision other people in most of these roles anyway! On a brighter note, any mention of a possible GG movie makes me smile, and the author's comment about Dean was amusing :)

http://gawker.com/recasting-gilmore-girls-for-the-highly-anticipated-hyp-1624015705 

Hee, Nolie, I had the same exact thought about Logan when I saw that picture of him and his infamous smirk! I'm not clear on exactly what I DO want to see in a movie, but I know that I'm not eager to see Logan again. In fact, I'd prefer not to see much romantic angst for Rory in general, though i'd be fine if she's in a fairly drama-free pairing with Jess :)  Needless to say, though, that's just my own subjective preference. 

• Love 2

If they cast Idris Elba as Christopher, I will forgive the character everything. OK, I'm shallow.

On a more serious note, I do hope that was just an unfortunate photo of Liz Torres and that she is not seriously ill.

• Love 1

I don't see a schedule thread, so I'll add here that ABC Family has started showing two episodes per day, and it is the schedule for the foreseeable future.  Yay for speeding through season seven! 

• Love 1