Type keyword(s) to search

ADA Peter Stone: Mothership Legacy Kid

• Start Topic

11 hours ago, ChristiKRN said:

What is with SVU committing character assassination with their regular ADAs? Stone; Cabot became something of a vigilante for victims of domestic violence; and what they did to Barba was especially egregious as he progressively became a shell of his former self.  Hopefully, the cycle has been broken because I could not handle that happening to Carisi.  

I don’t know why SVU likes to trash their ADA’s - what happened to Barba and Stone was atrocious - they destroyed Barba over the course of a couple of seasons, neutering his personality and turning him into a Benson Bot, and they managed to destroy Stone all in one episode, all for St Olivia as well. And yeah Cabot had become a borderline vigilante. If they ruin Carisi I will lose it, I don’t think they will since he’s well liked but then again I never thought they would do what they did to Barba or Stone either. 

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

I don’t know why SVU likes to trash their ADA’s - what happened to Barba and Stone was atrocious - they destroyed Barba over the course of a couple of seasons, neutering his personality and turning him into a Benson Bot, and they managed to destroy Stone all in one episode, all for St Olivia as well. And yeah Cabot had become a borderline vigilante. If they ruin Carisi I will lose it, I don’t think they will since he’s well liked but then again I never thought they would do what they did to Barba or Stone either. 

Well, let’s hope that Carisi doesn’t take any cues from Barba and Stone, both of whom he liked and looked up to professionally.  I could see him throwing himself on the sword for Rollins for some God-forsaken reason. And Barba was wildly popular with SVU fans.   

Edited by ChristiKRN
  • Love 1
53 minutes ago, Picture It. Sicily said:

Trashing ADA goes all the way back to Casey Novak 

Oh yes, I forgot to mention Novak’s exit in season 9. That means all 4 of their main ADA’s - Cabot, Novak, Barba and Stone, have all been thrown under the bus to one degree or another. Pathetic. If Carisi joins that list I will be beyond furious.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

Oh yes, I forgot to mention Novak’s exit in season 9. That means all 4 of their main ADA’s - Cabot, Novak, Barba and Stone, have all been thrown under the bus to one degree or another. Pathetic. If Carisi joins that list I will be beyond furious.

Well, @Xeliou66, for all our talk of poor ADA Ron Carver never getting a real exit on CI, looking at all of this together, maybe that was for the best. 😛

• LOL 3
(edited)

I haven't seen all the L&O episodes of Seasons 1-4 with Ben in them, but does he even mention having children? I hate when shows just throw in these offspring that we never even knew existed at the time they apparently would have been around for. But when you look back at said era when they didn't exist yet obviously but were apparently around, it's like, where were they? Why weren't they mentioned? Peter and his sister would have been like kids during the 1990-1994 period. And it sucks we never even got to see Ben Stone return before they just decided to kill him off. Seeing him on Chicago Justice a couple times would have been good to see. 

Edited by Devonte Huntley
5 hours ago, Devonte Huntley said:

I haven't seen all the L&O episodes of Seasons 1-4 with Ben in them, but does he even mention having children? I hate when shows just throw in these offspring that we never even knew existed at the time they apparently would have been around for. But when you look back at said era when they didn't exist yet obviously but were apparently around, it's like, where were they? Why weren't they mentioned? Peter and his sister would have been like kids during the 1990-1994 period. And it sucks we never even got to see Ben Stone return before they just decided to kill him off. Seeing him on Chicago Justice a couple times would have been good to see. 

Yes Ben Stone mentioned being a father several times on the original L&O. And on his desk there was a picture of him holding a baby, that was the actor’s son in real life, so in universe that’s Peter.

And Michael Moriarty would never return to reprise the role of Ben Stone, he hates Dick Wolf and his departure from the show was very acrimonious. So I liked how they handled Peter coming to NYC, I loved McCoy’s eulogy of Ben Stone, it was a really good tribute to Ben and a really good moment for Jack. 

• Useful 1
(edited)
2 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Yes Ben Stone mentioned being a father several times on the original L&O. And on his desk there was a picture of him holding a baby, that was the actor’s son in real life, so in universe that’s Peter.

And Michael Moriarty would never return to reprise the role of Ben Stone, he hates Dick Wolf and his departure from the show was very acrimonious. So I liked how they handled Peter coming to NYC, I loved McCoy’s eulogy of Ben Stone, it was a really good tribute to Ben and a really good moment for Jack. 

Okay, good. He did have kids, but how many or is this not stated? 

And why does Michael hate Dick? Him leaving had nothing to do with any conflicts with Dick from what I read and after 23 years I think he could have squashed whatever beef he had anyway by the time Chicago Justice rolled around. 

34 minutes ago, Devonte Huntley said:

Okay, good. He did have kids, but how many or is this not stated? 

And why does Michael hate Dick? Him leaving had nothing to do with any conflicts with Dick from what I read and after 23 years I think he could have squashed whatever beef he had anyway by the time Chicago Justice rolled around. 

It was never stated how many kids Ben had, he mentioned a daughter specifically once, but it was never stated how many children he had.

The story about Moriarty leaving L&O is a long one but it had a lot to do with Dick Wolf - to make the long story short Moriarty was an alcoholic at the time and Wolf claimed they had to let him go because of his alcoholism, while Moriarty claims it was because of his rants against then US Attorney General Janet Reno because of her wanting to censor shows, he felt that Wolf was bowing to people who wanted to censor shows. It was an ugly departure and it’s clear Moriarty would never work with Wolf again. So since he would never return, it made sense for them to pay tribute to Ben Stone by having him die offscreen and showing McCoy speak at his funeral. I thought it was a well done tribute, one of the brightest moments of the last few seasons of SVU.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
(edited)
5 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

It was never stated how many kids Ben had, he mentioned a daughter specifically once, but it was never stated how many children he had.

The story about Moriarty leaving L&O is a long one but it had a lot to do with Dick Wolf - to make the long story short Moriarty was an alcoholic at the time and Wolf claimed they had to let him go because of his alcoholism, while Moriarty claims it was because of his rants against then US Attorney General Janet Reno because of her wanting to censor shows, he felt that Wolf was bowing to people who wanted to censor shows. It was an ugly departure and it’s clear Moriarty would never work with Wolf again. So since he would never return, it made sense for them to pay tribute to Ben Stone by having him die offscreen and showing McCoy speak at his funeral. I thought it was a well done tribute, one of the brightest moments of the last few seasons of SVU.

Okay, so it works with him having a son and daughter pop up all of these years later. No problem there.  

The Janet Reno was the reason I came across minus the Dick Wolf stuff about bowing to those people. But still, to give the character children and they are never able to meet their father? Seems so odd. And Dick's involvement with the shows these days are not as big as they were back in the 1990s. He's not really doing much that it's like Michael is majorly dealing with him. It's mainly the show runners he'd be consulting and seeing a lot. We should have seen Ben again all these years later, interact with his kids, and furthermore finally meet the man that replaced him on L&O. 

1 hour ago, Devonte Huntley said:

Okay, so it works with him having a son and daughter pop up all of these years later. No problem there.  

The Janet Reno was the reason I came across minus the Dick Wolf stuff about bowing to those people. But still, to give the character children and they are never able to meet their father? Seems so odd. And Dick's involvement with the shows these days are not as big as they were back in the 1990s. He's not really doing much that it's like Michael is majorly dealing with him. It's mainly the show runners he'd be consulting and seeing a lot. We should have seen Ben again all these years later, interact with his kids, and furthermore finally meet the man that replaced him on L&O. 

It would’ve been nice to see Ben again I agree, but there was just no chance of Moriarty ever appearing on the show again. So they did the next best thing. I really liked the tribute to Ben that they did, it was really nice seeing McCoy eulogize him and it was nice seeing Jack talk to Peter about Ben. Like I say, it was one of the few things that modern day SVU did really well. Unfortunately it was the only thing they did well in that episode as Barba’s exit was stupid. 

• Love 1
49 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

It would’ve been nice to see Ben again I agree, but there was just no chance of Moriarty ever appearing on the show again. So they did the next best thing. I really liked the tribute to Ben that they did, it was really nice seeing McCoy eulogize him and it was nice seeing Jack talk to Peter about Ben. Like I say, it was one of the few things that modern day SVU did really well. Unfortunately it was the only thing they did well in that episode as Barba’s exit was stupid. 

I get it, they had to cut corners. HOWEVER, I'd be more understanding if they did try to reach out to him by the time Chicago Justice rolled around. If they didn't and he could have changed his mind and have been interested, then that's disappointing. But if not, I would have recast with a look-alike to be honest. If I want a character to come back and the actor didn't want to return after two decades, I would have recast just to have that character interact with the children and lead up to a proper closure then just taking them out without another on-screen role for a bit and it NOT being a brief one. 

Barba's exit was pretty dumb. I blame the actor. It was his choice to leave which was disappointing. What is with these ADA actors not sticking around for more than five years? Peter was suppose to be his partner, never a replacement. It was just convenient they brought him in when Barba left to have that transition, but the two were suppose to be bumping heads. Perhaps they should have convinced Raul to stay on for the rest of the season and then Peter plays a role in Barba leaving, perhaps transferring. I hate that they made him into a defense attorney now. What a traitor to the type of character they set him up to be.

I don't think of Barba as being a traitor.  Lots of attorneys "switch sides" in their careers for various reasons.  Most attorneys want to make money and a good living so they go where the money is.  Ex-prosecutors can make good defense lawyers because they already know how "the other side" thinks.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, CrystalBlue said:

Lots of attorneys "switch sides" in their careers for various reasons.

Even in the L&O world---Jamie Ross started as a defense attorney, became a prosecutor, then back to a defense attorney, before judgeship. Paul Robinette went from prosecutor to defense attorney. I like to think that Serena Southerland went from prosecutor to defense attorney as well.

• Love 2
(edited)

I just don't get it. You start off being such a criminal despiser and then you go to defend them? Especially with characters like Barba who wasn't a soft-heart when it comes to criminals anyway, so to see him turn is just jarring. 

Jamie Ross' case is conflicting with me because she started off as a defense attorney before the show, but she turned because a suspect her husband was defending apparently knowingly committed a crime and went to do another which haunted her. To see her go back is quite jarring, and she seemed uncomfortable doing so when we see her return following her departure like "I don't really want to do this". 

Going from prosecutor to judge is one thing and seems to be more reasonable, but going from prosecutor to defense attorney? Unless that prosecutor wasn't a hard-ass and had occasional soft-spots for the defendants, then I don't see the point or logic in switching sides.

ION is showing some episodes with Stone today, and I was reminded of what a strong prosecutor Stone was when he came on to the show and how much I despise how they wrote him off. Stone was such a good, by the book ADA and he was really a breath of fresh air when he came on, Barba had been watered down so much it was nice to see a new ADA. I loved seeing him interact with Jack in his first episode and how they talked about Ben, and while the whole Barba exit plot was stupid I did like Stone’s cross examination of Barba and how he said “Mr Barba, do you feel guilty, sir?” emphasizing the “sir” the way Ben did on the Mothership when cross examining someone. And then when Stone became the SVU ADA in Chasing Demons, it was glorious seeing him call out St Olivia on her bullshit when she let Cassidy hide out in her apartment. So refreshing. It really enrages me that they wrote Peter out by having him throw his ethics out the window all because of possible romantic feelings for St Olivia, one of the worst moments in the show’s history.

I really wish they had done a better job with Stone because he was a strong character, unfortunately they gave him too much personal stuff (a habit of modern day SVU), killing off his sister was a really dumb plot, then he had a drinking issue in a few episodes, then they had the stupid episode where the woman thought Stone raped her in the past, then right when Stone had gotten back on track they had him throw away his career to please St Olivia. Fucking shameful how SVU treated him. But watching these episodes today reminded me how good Peter was when he came on and how the show really wasted potential with him. 

• Love 4
On 1/29/2022 at 4:49 PM, Xeliou66 said:

ION is showing some episodes with Stone today, and I was reminded of what a strong prosecutor Stone was when he came on to the show and how much I despise how they wrote him off. Stone was such a good, by the book ADA and he was really a breath of fresh air when he came on, Barba had been watered down so much it was nice to see a new ADA. I loved seeing him interact with Jack in his first episode and how they talked about Ben, and while the whole Barba exit plot was stupid I did like Stone’s cross examination of Barba and how he said “Mr Barba, do you feel guilty, sir?” emphasizing the “sir” the way Ben did on the Mothership when cross examining someone. And then when Stone became the SVU ADA in Chasing Demons, it was glorious seeing him call out St Olivia on her bullshit when she let Cassidy hide out in her apartment. So refreshing. It really enrages me that they wrote Peter out by having him throw his ethics out the window all because of possible romantic feelings for St Olivia, one of the worst moments in the show’s history.

I really wish they had done a better job with Stone because he was a strong character, unfortunately they gave him too much personal stuff (a habit of modern day SVU), killing off his sister was a really dumb plot, then he had a drinking issue in a few episodes, then they had the stupid episode where the woman thought Stone raped her in the past, then right when Stone had gotten back on track they had him throw away his career to please St Olivia. Fucking shameful how SVU treated him. But watching these episodes today reminded me how good Peter was when he came on and how the show really wasted potential with him. 

I love your post and I wish that I could like it a thousand times.  I thought the actor was not only excellent but very handsome and he should have remained on the show.  Anybody that put Saint Olivia in her place deserves to be on the show.. 

• Love 3
On 1/30/2022 at 11:04 PM, Pearson80 said:

I love your post and I wish that I could like it a thousand times.  I thought the actor was not only excellent but very handsome and he should have remained on the show.  Anybody that put Saint Olivia in her place deserves to be on the show.. 

I think Peter Stone was only written off of the show because of the showrunners changing and Warren Leight wanted to make Carisi the ADA, and that’s been a mixed bag IMO, while I like Carisi a lot and I think he’s transitioned well into the ADA role, they’ve made some really poor choices with the storytelling of Carisi being an ADA, such as trashing the DA’s office and bringing in Hadid. One thing I really liked about Stone was that he wasn’t unprofessionally close with the squad and he wasn’t afraid to exercise his authority. It just enrages me how they wrote Stone off, completely trashing the character and everything he stood for and making his exit more about Benson than him. There’s no excuse for that - they could’ve had him transfer to another division or another city, or just had him get burned out of prosecuting sex crimes and decide to go back to work in the sports world or something. Just about anything would’ve been better than what they did. Such an insult to the fans and to the character how he was written off, it makes me angry just thinking about it.

• Love 4
On 5/22/2021 at 10:42 PM, Xeliou66 said:

Yes, and another reason why Ben never would have come back is that Michael Moriarty is essentially retired and living in Canada - and has been for quite a few years now. Then there's the animosity with Dick Wolf...

In "Virus" (S3), Ben was asked by the defendant's mother if he had children, and he nodded. We were never told just how many children Ben had, at least on the mothership.

• Love 2