Type keyword(s) to search

ADA Peter Stone: Mothership Legacy Kid

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, dttruman said:

Will they have rotating ADAs next season or something? Maybe a new one every other week, when there is a trial?

As was said by me and @wknt3 before, that's a possibility. It's basically what CI did after Courtney B. Vance's Ron Carver left and Theresa Randle's ADA didn't take.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, dttruman said:

Will they have rotating ADAs next season or something? Maybe a new one every other week, when there is a trial?

19 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

As was said by me and @wknt3 before, that's a possibility. It's basically what CI did after Courtney B. Vance's Ron Carver left and Theresa Randle's ADA didn't take.

Definitely a possibility, maybe even a probability if money was the motivating factor (and I still think that's more likely than it being a purely ideological move). I think they will more likely follow SVU precedent rather than CI and have some mix of recurring DA's as well as whomever they can get to come back for an episode or two - maybe even Ron Carver returns from limbo to tell Benson she is the best detective ever and try a case?

• LOL 2
  • Love 2
2 hours ago, wknt3 said:
22 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Definitely a possibility, maybe even a probability if money was the motivating factor (and I still think that's more likely than it being a purely ideological move). I think they will more likely follow SVU precedent rather than CI and have some mix of recurring DA's as well as whomever they can get to come back for an episode or two - maybe even Ron Carver returns from limbo to tell Benson she is the best detective ever and try a case?

Where did you guys (WENDYCR72 and @wknt3) say this before? I couldn't find it and I back tracked it in this topic? Whatever the circumstances, I still believe you guys.

Courtney Vance may have other projects, so that might put a crimp in that option. Unless they decide to cast another actor for that part.

39 minutes ago, dttruman said:

Where did you guys (WENDYCR72 and @wknt3) say this before? I couldn't find it and I back tracked it in this topic? Whatever the circumstances, I still believe you guys.

Courtney Vance may have other projects, so that might put a crimp in that option. Unless they decide to cast another actor for that part.

Just an aside somewhere back. It was a short discussion, so no worries!

• Love 1
11 hours ago, Fellaway said:

this brouhaha with the WGA plays out.

Could this be a probable reason why the story lines have been kind of substandard?  I don't keep up with the going-ons of the labor talks of the unions concerning the entertainment industry.

Do tv shows bid on episode scripts (or script writing teams) and the best ones go for the most money?

Edited by dttruman
Added another comment
21 hours ago, dttruman said:

He definitely wouldn't be back full time, I was thinking just for a single episode to try to bring in lapsed viewers and remind us of the history of the franchise. He is definitely too expensive to bring back full time! Think an episode of Ron Carver, then 3 episodes with no ADA followed by the return of Casey Novak again, then a couple episodes of nobody, then some Broadway star willing to work cheaply for a few episodes here and there, then some big name who has never appeared on a L&O and wants to check it off, then nobody, then the stage actor if they're not booked, then another return (maybe Dick Wolf manages to find a way to ta;lk CBS into letting Jeremy Sisto do an epsiode?)

20 hours ago, WendyCR72 said:

Just an aside somewhere back. It was a short discussion, so no worries!

It was in the Season 21 ADA thread if you are curious about our speculation or that of others.
https://forums.primetimer.com/topic/92536-what-would-you-like-from-the-new-season-21-da/?do=findComment&comment=5176552

14 hours ago, Fellaway said:

She may also have to write the episodes, depending on how this brouhaha with the WGA plays out.

I'm not seeing anyone who expects a strike, so we will hopefully be spared that. I wouldn't be surprised if they make it official and give her a "story by" credit with Michael Chernuchin or (heaven forbid) Julie Martin actually doing the hard part.

3 hours ago, dttruman said:

Could this be a probable reason why the story lines have been kind of substandard?  I don't keep up with the going-ons of the labor talks of the unions concerning the entertainment industry.

Do tv shows bid on episode scripts (or script writing teams) and the best ones go for the most money?

Unfortunately not. I would say money is a reason since they are constrained by ever shrinking budgets, but there are a lot more issues at play like what seems to be a network desire for victims the target demo can personally identify with, certain creative voices wanting to focus on a particular issue to the exclusion of others, etc. The current issue with the WGA regards agents and writers and a practice called packaging that doesn't apply to Dick Wolf - he doesn't need agencies to sell his shows and would never want to share the money!

TV shows don't bid on episode scripts or even buy individual scripts from outside writers in most circumstances.  Here is a good simple explanation of the writing process https://www.quora.com/How-does-the-writing-process-work-for-a-TV-show-Do-the-producers-have-a-narrative-laid-out-and-then-writers-pitch-their-scripts-or-is-it-planned-out-in-a-more-orderly-way and here is a good explainer on how the writers get paid https://www.writersdigest.com/editor-blogs/questions-and-quandaries/writing-advice/reader-question-how-are-tv-writers-paid Of course money is a factor in hiring the best writers, but I don't think it's the problem here. While Dick Wolf will never be known for high salaries, he is known for being able to provide steady employment to those who can deal with him in an industry where that is a rare and valuable thing, so he has no problem attracting talented writers.

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
7 hours ago, dttruman said:

No, I agree with @wknt3.  I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons why the writing hasn't been up to standards since Season 17 ended, but this isn't one of them at this point.

Here is an article about what's going on with the WGA right now.  At the end, it mentions the possibility of a writers strike and the DGA and SAG-AFTRA supporting the WGA.

Writers Guild Sues Talent Agencies as Dispute Goes Nuclear

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
7 hours ago, Fellaway said:

No, I agree with @wknt3.  I'm sure there are a myriad of reasons why the writing hasn't been up to standards since Season 17 ended, but this isn't one of them at this point.

Here is an article about what's going on with the WGA right now.  At the end, it mentions the possibility of a writers strike and the DGA and SAG-AFTRA supporting the WGA.

Writers Guild Sues Talent Agencies as Dispute Goes Nuclear

It might be for the best if there is an impending strike since it would be another good reason for NBC to tell them to wrap it up halfway through to avoid being hit by the strike since there really isn't a lot of tolerance for further ratings declines and I don't see them wanting to do a Criminal Minds (or Criminal Intent!) style shortened final season coda. I do have to quibble with one thing you said though - the writing hasn't been up to standard since before Season 17 ended IMO. It was better than the nadir of Season 18, but the major issues started with the second half of Season 17 which is another reason I don't think it's a problem of showrunners or recent labor issues.

• Love 2
10 hours ago, wknt3 said:

I do have to quibble with one thing you said though - the writing hasn't been up to standard since before Season 17 ended IMO. It was better than the nadir of Season 18, but the major issues started with the second half of Season 17 which is another reason I don't think it's a problem of showrunners or recent labor issues.

We will have to agree to disagree on Season 17.  ☺️  My fannishness for SVU is for Seasons 13-17 (as well as all things Carisi), and Season 17 is my favorite of all seasons.  I watched that sucker front, back and sideways when it was on Netflix.  Netflix is how I rediscovered the show after I jumped ship during the Stabler years, and it's irksome they no longer have the show.

For me, I don't see the balance disappearing until Season 18, when it became all about Benson,  I go back and forth over which is worse - the Eid year or the Chernuchin years.  There are a few episodes in Season 18 that I rewatch, and there were scenes that were about Carisi in 18, but most of the eps are forgettable.  19 and 20, the only episode I think I'll rewatch is the one with Jennifer Esposito, 19 has the worst episode of the entire series, IMO (Undiscovered Country), and there has been nothing, absolutely nothing, about Carisi these last two seasons.  

There are other issues with these last three seasons, of course, but I don't want to highjack Stone's thread too badly here.  I will say that, mid-season, there seemed to be a glimmer of improvement in the writing, but they're on a backslide again.  Maybe 21 will be better after the writers have had some time off?  Hopefully?

• Love 2
9 hours ago, dttruman said:

I was going through this "ADA Peter Stone: Mothership Legacy Kid" thread line by line. I am such an idiot!

Nah. Idiocy would have been spending any more time looking for our idle speculation...

1 hour ago, Fellaway said:

We will have to agree to disagree on Season 17.  ☺️  My fannishness for SVU is for Seasons 13-17 (as well as all things Carisi), and Season 17 is my favorite of all seasons.  I watched that sucker front, back and sideways when it was on Netflix.  Netflix is how I rediscovered the show after I jumped ship during the Stabler years, and it's irksome they no longer have the show.

For me, I don't see the balance disappearing until Season 18, when it became all about Benson,  I go back and forth over which is worse - the Eid year or the Chernuchin years.  There are a few episodes in Season 18 that I rewatch, and there were scenes that were about Carisi in 18, but most of the eps are forgettable.  19 and 20, the only episode I think I'll rewatch is the one with Jennifer Esposito, 19 has the worst episode of the entire series, IMO (Undiscovered Country), and there has been nothing, absolutely nothing, about Carisi these last two seasons. 

I think we agree more than you think! I thought the first half of Season 17 was really good and said so at the time, although I was disappointed that Liv was spending so much time in the field doing detective work (hey we were young and innocent back then) and the second half declined before falling off a cliff in Season 18. My POV is that it went from 40% Benson (when I'd prefer about 30-35%) to 50-60% in the later episodes before becoming 90% Benson in Season 18 and then dialed back to 40-60% in Seasons 19 and 20.

Where we will have to agree to disagree is about there being any question over Season 18 being the worst writing wise - not only did they basically repeat the same plot over and over, but they didn't even do it competently. I remember commenting a lot about how it felt like they were filming the first draft. The past couple seasons even the misfires usually have done a better job with plot mechanics and other basics.

There are other issues with these last three seasons, of course, but I don't want to highjack Stone's thread too badly here.  I will say that, mid-season, there seemed to be a glimmer of improvement in the writing, but they're on a backslide again.  Maybe 21 will be better after the writers have had some time off?  Hopefully?

I think Stone has been part of the improvement the last couple seasons. I think Barba's characterization was trashed the most of anyone in Season 18 (others were either already ruined previously (Benson, Rollins) or just underserved (Fin, Carisi) while they actively changed Barba for the worse. And how he's replaced will be indicative of if they can maintain any sort of quality.

Edited by wknt3
  • Love 4
On 4/19/2019 at 6:56 PM, wknt3 said:

Where we will have to agree to disagree is about there being any question over Season 18 being the worst writing wise - not only did they basically repeat the same plot over and over, but they didn't even do it competently. I remember commenting a lot about how it felt like they were filming the first draft. The past couple seasons even the misfires usually have done a better job with plot mechanics and other basics.

I will definitely not argue with anyone on declaring Season 18 the worst.  ☺️  The only merit it has for me, that sets it apart from 19 and 20, is that it still treated Carisi as a character and, at least, gave him some scenes that were about him.  Otherwise, I agree the writing was mediocre at best.  19 and 20, I will never forgive for not giving Carisi anything that was about him.  He's become the plot device, the stand-in, the exposition dumper, etc., anything but a character.  I've come to the conclusion that Chernuchin has zero interest in the character of Carisi.  It's either that or the current writers just suck at knowing who he is or how to write anyone not named Benson or Rollins.

On 4/19/2019 at 6:56 PM, wknt3 said:

I think Stone has been part of the improvement the last couple seasons. I think Barba's characterization was trashed the most of anyone in Season 18 (others were either already ruined previously (Benson, Rollins) or just underserved (Fin, Carisi) while they actively changed Barba for the worse. And how he's replaced will be indicative of if they can maintain any sort of quality.

I've been watching some earlier Rollins episodes, and I've come to the conclusion that they really haven't trashed her, per se, in recent seasons.  She's always been kind of horrible.  Her judgment sucks, her personal life has always been a trainwreck, she's not a nice person, and she's always pushed the edge, sometimes breaking it, when it comes to legalities.  They've just amped it up recently.

Yeah, the new showrunners, post 17, had no idea who Barba was.  He became a plot device, too, and leave us not even speak of how out of character he was in Undiscovered Country.  The less said of that the better.  As to Stone, I dunno, I guess he was an improvement in terms of pushing back on Benson, but, for me, he was so very bland that I don't see him as a loss to the show.  My money is on them not replacing him with a regular new ADA because I'm guessing their money was a huge part of why they fired him.  Cast cuts are one of the easiest ways to save money, and a 21 year old show will be expensive.  MH alone probably eats a huge bite of their budget.  Maybe cutting costs was a quid pro quo for getting renewed, even if it was never in question that they would be for no other reason than to break the record.

• Love 2
21 minutes ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

So Warren Leight will return as Showrunner.

Chermunchin is getting shoved out  the door along with Winchester.

I guess that Sony deal disintegrated or wasn't as lucrative as Leight had hoped.

• Love 1

I’m not sure how I feel about this, on one hand Leight did revive the show when he took over in season 13 and maybe the show will get a new freshness with him taking over again for season 21, but on the other hand I liked the tie ins Churnuchin had with the Mothership and with his departure I doubt we will have any more links to the Mothership or their characters. Either way I will miss Stone and I have no doubt that the courtroom scenes/legal stuff will be weaker next season without Stone. 

This goes a long way in explaining PW’s departure though.

• Love 2
2 hours ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

So Warren Leight will return as Showrunner.

Chermunchin is getting shoved out  the door along with Winchester.

Are you serious?!?  Wheeeeee!  ::the squee heard round the world::

Hey, if nothing else, he knows Carisi.  And likes him!

As a fan of the Leight years, this has me very happy.  It will be interesting to see if he got the memo on All Benson, All the Time of the last three seasons, or if they'll let him bring the balance back.

Edited by Fellaway
  • Love 1

Watched the Blatant destruction of a Legacy Character tonight.

All to prop up and center Olivia Benson.

Best of luck to Phillip Winchester, he deserved better.

He should  make a run for James Bond, Part British,  same body type as Craig.

Definitely could handle the physical demands, thanks to his time on Strike Back.

Plus he's under 40, they could lock him in for a few installments.

• Love 4

I lost all respect for Peter Stone tonight, one of the worst character assassinations I’ve ever seen. So OOC for Stone to be trying to set someone up with fake evidence, if his father was around he would be sickened. 

• Love 6
On 5/17/2019 at 12:22 AM, Xeliou66 said:

I lost all respect for Peter Stone tonight, one of the worst character assassinations I’ve ever seen. So OOC for Stone to be trying to set someone up with fake evidence, if his father was around he would be sickened. 

That was my first thought: Ben Stone must be rolling over in his grave at this.

• Love 4

While I'm 99% sure it won't be, I hope next season is the last one. The diminishing returns are almost all dried up, and the writing is beyond awful. Go out with a CRUMB of dignity.

(I know - that crumb was probably two or three seasons ago. But still.)

• Love 6
1 hour ago, WendyCR72 said:

While I'm 99% sure it won't be, I hope next season is the last one. The diminishing returns are almost all dried up, and the writing is beyond awful. Go out with a CRUMB of dignity.

(I know - that crumb was probably two or three seasons ago. But still.)

Agreed, I hope season 21 is the end. Please let the L&O franchise end before this crapfest destroys its legacy, it pisses me off to no end that this show gets the record while the Mothership, which was 100000 times better, got canceled after season 20. 

• Love 4

While I feel bad for PW getting thrown under the bus, I just never warmed up to Peter Stone - either here or on Chicago Justice. I don't know if it's due to the writing of the role or the way PW played it. I just never warmed up to Peter.

Anyway, I wish PW nothing but the best in his future endeavors. He didn't deserve to get such a bad exit on SVU.

• Love 6

That was a great interview. I really liked what Philip had to say, he’s spot on about how there is a small group of nutjob fans who are deeply invested in SVU and influence the show, and he’s right about how Stone standing up to Benson is probably the reason he was written out and that the other characters besides Benson deserve more screentime. He seems to echo a lot of what viewers are saying about the show, and I have a feeling that pissed off Mariska and she was behind him getting written out. Notice how he didn’t really say anything about her in the interview. 

• Love 6
12 minutes ago, Xeliou66 said:

That was a great interview. I really liked what Philip had to say, he’s spot on about how there is a small group of nutjob fans who are deeply invested in SVU and influence the show, and he’s right about how Stone standing up to Benson is probably the reason he was written out and that the other characters besides Benson deserve more screentime. He seems to echo a lot of what viewers are saying about the show, and I have a feeling that pissed off Mariska and she was behind him getting written out. Notice how he didn’t really say anything about her in the interview. 

I'm not sure PW's lack of MH mentions means she hated him or he her BTS. She did have a photo of them smiling together on her Twitter account some months back, which she didn't have to post. Who knows? Either way, while PW made some great points, nothing will change. Especially with Warren Leight's return.

• Love 2
1 hour ago, Xeliou66 said:

This is the third part of an series of interviews with PW.

First one was 2018, when he was preparing for S20.

Second one, earlier this year not long before his wife gave birth.

Third one, right before his final appearance aired.

He was quite Candid and kept it classy but it's clear his abrupt dismissal still stung a bit.

• Love 2
On 5/17/2019 at 1:22 AM, Xeliou66 said:

So OOC for Stone to be trying to set someone up with fake evidence, if his father was around he would be sickened. 

He did it for Olivia! because she is the most specialest prettiest fairy princess policewoman of the universe!

BLECH!

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
(edited)
17 hours ago, Norma Desmond said:
On 5/17/2019 at 12:22 AM, Xeliou66 said:

So OOC for Stone to be trying to set someone up with fake evidence, if his father was around he would be sickened. 

He did it for Olivia! because she is the most specialest prettiest fairy princess policewoman of the universe!

BLECH!

Who will be the next character to flush his career down the toilet or worse, give up his life for Benson and what she believes in? Since it will probably be the last season, will it be Fin (or another regular) or a new edition?

Edited by dttruman
  • Love 2
9 hours ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Liked the group pic with PW, Calllie, Richard, Titus and Aida. 

Sounds like working with them was pleasant for him.

Wish I was a fly on the wall, to hear them share their ups and downs in the biz with Philip.

If they are not associated with Law & Order or it's affiliates in 5 years. I would like to find out what they really thought of SVU.

• Love 1
12 hours ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

I'm confused.

Stone is gone, but those who hated him are still mad.

Salty AF about Phillip's exit interview, ole Hit Dog Hollerin Asses.

LOL! 

No kidding! I don't know if you read the twitter thread or not, but wow, those people sure seem to think a lot of themselves, claiming that "no one" who watched the show liked Stone. So what, the entire viewing audience consists of a dozen or so Mariska and/or Barba stans? LMAO. Are they the only people who have a little thing called a Nielsen box? I'm sorry, but those who think they speak for "everybody" are unhinged, and sadly, I think they believe their own hype. They must be exhausting. 

• Love 4
3 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

I'm sorry, but those who think they speak for "everybody" are unhinged, and sadly, I think they believe their own hype. They must be exhausting. 

No. Fucking. Shit. That’s why I don’t even bother to read the comments on twitter anymore. Just go straight to the article link.

• Love 3

The fringe group of SJW nutjob Mariska stans think they speak for the whole fanbase and are always looking to bash someone/get offended by something. They are very vocal but they certainly don’t represent the majority of SVU fans, they are the ones who had it out for Stone since before he even came on the show. 

• Love 5
6 hours ago, Gigglepuff said:

No kidding! I don't know if you read the twitter thread or not, but wow, those people sure seem to think a lot of themselves, claiming that "no one" who watched the show liked Stone. So what, the entire viewing audience consists of a dozen or so Mariska and/or Barba stans? LMAO. Are they the only people who have a little thing called a Nielsen box? I'm sorry, but those who think they speak for "everybody" are unhinged, and sadly, I think they believe their own hype. They must be exhausting. 

I saw some of them whining about Phillip's exit interview.

The DELUSION is hella Strong.

Talkin bout he didn't understand how SVU works.

Ummmmm,kay....

• LOL 1
  • Love 1
(edited)

The fringe group of SJW nutjob Mariska stans think they speak for the whole fanbase and are always looking to bash someone/get offended by something. They are very vocal but they certainly don’t represent the majority of SVU fans, they are the ones who had it out for Stone since before he even came on the show. 

Yep, and seriously, even though I did like Stone, I honestly think that the majority of the viewers don't fee passionately about any of the characters, especially the "side" characters like the ADA etc... They're mostly older people who don't stream or have subscription services and are used to tuning in to SVU. They've been doing for the last 20 years and will continue till it finally dies. Can't believe that some of them honestly believe that SVU was never an ensemble show. Bunch of nuts with too much time on their hands. 

As far as PW's exit interview goes, I guess some of them were outraged that he viewed his role on the show as a job, just like any other actor views his/her roles, and didn't realize how special SVU is. 

Edited by Gigglepuff
  • Love 4
3 minutes ago, Gigglepuff said:

As far as PW's exit interview goes, I guess some of them were outraged that he viewed his role on the show as a job, just like any other actor views his/her roles, and didn't realize how special SVU is. 

I think many of them are outraged that he didn’t bow at the altar of Mariska/Benson and echoed some complaints about the show, and defended Stone’s character. That’s why I think some people are in an uproar over this. 

• Love 4

I think many of them are outraged that he didn’t bow at the altar of Mariska/Benson and echoed some complaints about the show, and defended Stone’s character. That’s why I think some people are in an uproar over this. 

Exactly! 

Philip was like FuckYoFeelings!

• Love 4
On 6/28/2019 at 5:06 AM, Gigglepuff said:

On 6/28/2019 at 5:16 AM, Xeliou66 said:

Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! Ding! WE HAVE TWO WINNERS HERE!

Seriously though, both of you guys’ points are correct. They really, honestly think that SVU is a Very Special(TM) show, OB is some kind of lord and savior and cast members should recognize the show’s importance and treat their roles like a gift from the gods instead of “just another job”.

• LOL 2
  • Love 3
33 minutes ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Was Stone's departure addressed  this season?

If so, Did he return to Chicago?

Stone hasn’t been mentioned one time this season, we don’t know where he wound up.

Edited by Xeliou66
31 minutes ago, MrsRafaelBarba said:

Nearly a year later and I'm still mad they got rid of PW/ADA Stone. 😡

Hope everyone is okay during this strange time.

Be safe, Stay Well.

Have you watched any of the episodes this season? 

I’m still pissed at Stone’s exit, it was beyond stupid and awful. I liked Stone and thought he added a lot to the show, and to see his character assassinated in an atrocious way really enraged me - he was always so ethical and by the book and to see him throw all of that out the window for St Olivia really sickened me. 

Hope you, and everyone else, are doing well during this crazy time. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, Xeliou66 said:

Have you watched any of the episodes this season? 

I’m still pissed at Stone’s exit, it was beyond stupid and awful. I liked Stone and thought he added a lot to the show, and to see his character assassinated in an atrocious way really enraged me - he was always so ethical and by the book and to see him throw all of that out the window for St Olivia really sickened me. 

Hope you, and everyone else, are doing well during this crazy time. 

What is with SVU committing character assassination with their regular ADAs? Stone; Cabot became something of a vigilante for victims of domestic violence; and what they did to Barba was especially egregious as he progressively became a shell of his former self.  Hopefully, the cycle has been broken because I could not handle that happening to Carisi.  

• Love 3