Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E04 Episode 4 2018.07.08

• Start Topic

Excellent post—especially the last paragraph—who else will know what you’re talking about, lol?!

Ashamed to admit I had to click the link. Ken Howard will always be the White Shadow to me and Mare Winningham the poor little rich girl from St. Elmo's Fire, pining away for a drunken Rob Lowe sitting on her roof.

• Love 11
16 hours ago, Lemons said:

Maybe they’ll have Allison call ICE on her because she decides she wants Cole back.

Actually Cole is also breaking the law for hiring her. I agree, this show is not doing as badly as other shows.

• Love 2
49 minutes ago, Mrs.Monkey said:

Actually Cole is also breaking the law for hiring her. I agree, this show is not doing as badly as other shows.

Yes which is why her bitching at him of all people just chaps my hide. 

• Love 1
3 hours ago, JenE4 said:

Which, by the way, how was Luisa a star witness in the original custody hearing if she’s afraid the police would find out she’s undocumented but this JUDGE right here is A-OK? 

Ooh...good point!

1 hour ago, Elizzikra said:

Ashamed to admit I had to click the link. Ken Howard will always be the White Shadow to me... 

Yessss!  Ken Howard as White Shadow was totally jock hot!!

This show is easy to throw into the category of love to hate, but I enjoy it.  I have to remind myself often that seemingly cheap plot drivers or inconsistencies are mostly about the fallibility (or selectivity) of memory and the wildly varying perspectives of the players. Or maybe I'm just happy there are no prison guard flashbacks.

• Love 6
On 7/9/2018 at 8:28 PM, Lozu68 said:

Absolutely! From the get go, I thought it was hella creepy the way he kept isolating Alison from the conference...when he led her into the empty room to practice the technique they had just learned)...watch, she actually looks back towards the room where all the other attendees were...I think she had a “hmmmm” moment. Then, he leads her away, at the waters edge, again they are alone. Rents the boat sporadically...and they had packed them lunch...with wine??? No siree! Totally planned...

for found myself feeling kind of sick when they were out on that boat....

another premonition Alison is missing...

Alison should know from all that therapy, yoga and life demolition that her ah pecker picker is off. The fact that a recovering stalker doesn't raise any red flags for her is confusing and me thinks she isn't done with her death wish.

• Love 4
5 hours ago, JenE4 said:

If this Walkabout doesn’t feature a cameo by Terry O’Quinn (Lost’s John Locke) rolling through in his wheelchair bellowing, “Don’t tell me what I can’t do!!!” then what are we even doing here?

I hadn't thought of this and now it's all I want to see! 

It bothered me how whenever someone said walkabout, the immediate response was "walk . . . about . . . ?". said slowly and quizzically, as if the entire concept of this word existing in English was beyond their grasp.  Now if someone had said, "Should I drop you off in a desert and you'll make your way out?" I would have been very happy. 

• Love 5

I'm sorry but if you need 6 months to figure out if you want to be with me, you don't need to be with me. 

Cole leaving really irks me. Here is Luisa begging him to love her, telling him she just wants to feel important to him and him telling her give me a vacation and I'll think about it. 

I also assumed it would have been something that he talked to Alison about and figured out custody and such. Nope. He flees out the door as soon as she tells him yes. All while expecting her to watch his child. 

I think Luisa would have been totally fine if Cole had just said 'yes Luisa, I will ask Alison if this is possible. I will do anything to keep you here and we can talk to her and explore this option.' Then when Alison says no (or maybe yes because who knows with her) he can at least say he tried and she would appreciate that. 

To constantly feel second place, worried about being deported, have no job, no purpose, no child of your own and to be told if you are deported you are on you're own because your husband isn't coming. Those are all very big issues to deal with and all she is asking for is validation and love from the one person that is there for her. 

Ben is sketchy and I don't trust him in thr slightest. However I am also so tired of Alison being this siren that no man can turn down and needing to be constantly saved. 

• Love 17
21 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I thought that they didn't know where she was - that she left Joanie with them but didn't tell them where she was going, why or when she might be back, nor did she have any contact with them while she was gone.

Maybe I assumed wrong or misheard?

I don't hate Luisa but I never really thought that she and Cole were a good match. It's always been obvious to me that Cole never got over Alison and probably never really will. 

That's my recollection too. And this was after she had essentially stolen two years of Cole getting to father his child. Cole can seem to forgive her anything. 

I feel for Luisa, not because she's right to yell at Cole - Cole is just the only person she CAN yell at. It's an unfair situation, and it's not his fault or her fault really.  As for her wanting Allison to sign away her rights, I don't think she really thinks that's a viable plan or even that Allison would ever agree. She just wanted Cole to try, to prove to her that she means more than Allison to him. But she doesn't, unfortunately. 

Allison definitely left out the "dry drowning" part of the story, and I think it's because she still feels guilty and didn't want Ben to judge her. Little does she know he's probably a hired assassin or something ridiculous. 

• Love 4
On 7/8/2018 at 8:10 PM, mochamajesty said:

Louisa is a witch for asking Cole to ask Alison to do that. No one in their right mind would do such a thing. She should just pack her things and leave instead of these manipulative tactics to get Cole's attention. If you have to resort to that, he aint worth it. 

Ben came across crazy as hell in the AA meeting. And it does defy logic that Cole would.stay silent especially after he saw Ben's behavior earlier. 

Yes! I agree that Louisa just needs to say ✌? already. I think that the “walkabout” is actually a good idea. I know it sounds kind of stupid and in reality most people can’t just pick up and go, but I see his struggle. I think he loves them both, and it seems from the preview he is finally going to let Allison go and move on. I also feel like I’m the only one that wants them (Allison & Cole) back together. 

idk where Allison disappeared to, but it’s getting old already! Her 3rd disappearance so far?

And, lastly! I would like a win for poor Helen! She seems to be handed one platter of shit after the next. 

• Love 2
On 7/8/2018 at 9:24 PM, WaltersHair said:

Alison's part. Snore. And technically the kid didn't die of a dry drowning, though the show is calling it that. Dry drowning means literally no water enters the lungs. The victim dies from laryngospasm or the heart stops when entering the water. Delayed drowning is far more rare and is what happened to Alison and Cole's son, FWIW.

Luisa is a complete POS for wanting Cole to go along with her on the Joanie issue. She's had years to get her shit together. If it was a a sick kind of test for Cole, she needs to be dead to him. That's not love, that's heartless manipulation.

This Ben guy is going to the be the reason Alison disappears, so what will the reason be? White slavery? Stalker with murder-suicide combo platter? Luisa pays this ex solder to kill Alison? Who will save her, Noah or Cole? Stay tuned.

Hilarious! This has been one of my favorite insights! I agree, though I feel like they have all been kind of boring. There are only 8 episodes and they aren’t fulfilling my fix at this point. 

Do people remember season 1?

Cole wasn’t a bag of donuts.  There was a reason Alison would cheat.

One early scene — he wanted to, she didn't.  He had this douchey body tattoo which was one reason she was feeling alienated.

• Love 3
On 7/9/2018 at 8:02 AM, JoeyCrown said:

This show is clearly on its own "walkabout" but I still love watching Helen.

And I’ve been finding Helen’s and Noah’s POV to be a snooze fest. I would like to see more to her story. Her work on making us feel her pain when everything happened was amazing! But now it feels like a completely different show. 

• Love 1

"If this Walkabout doesn’t feature a cameo by Terry O’Quinn (Lost’s John Locke) rolling through in his wheelchair bellowing, “Don’t tell me what I can’t do!!!” then what are we even doing here?"

Thanks JenE4 -- made my (otherwise crappy) day!!!

• Love 3
(edited)
1 hour ago, MBayGal said:

"If this Walkabout doesn’t feature a cameo by Terry O’Quinn (Lost’s John Locke) rolling through in his wheelchair bellowing, “Don’t tell me what I can’t do!!!” then what are we even doing here?"

Thanks JenE4 -- made my (otherwise crappy) day!!!

Edited by preeya
  • Love 5
On 7/11/2018 at 10:53 AM, Elizzikra said:

Ashamed to admit I had to click the link. Ken Howard will always be the White Shadow to me and Mare Winningham the poor little rich girl from St. Elmo's Fire, pining away for a drunken Rob Lowe sitting on her roof.

Silly, coulda just said a little birdie told you! 

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 10:53 AM, Elizzikra said:

Mare Winningham the poor little rich girl from St. Elmo's Fire, pining away for a drunken Rob Lowe sitting on her roof.

I still cringe every time I see the scene where he finds her 'spanx' and she gets all embarrassed. She is one of my fave actresses and its good to see her back.

Walkabout is a term I will forever associate with one John Locke in what was a magnificient hour of television.

• Love 3

I'm curious what time of year this is supposed to be. Seems like the kids are in school so after Labor Day? 

The reason I"m wondering is that the water would have been COLD but Alison and Ben were floating around like it was bath water. 

• Love 1
On 7/13/2018 at 11:47 AM, Elizzikra said:

The reason I"m wondering is that the water would have been COLD but Alison and Ben were floating around like it was bath water. 

In comparison to the land, the ocean absorbs heat more slowly and retains it longer: the north Atlantic is frigid in the late spring and still warm in early fall.

Meanwhile Luisa has been discovering that when it comes to Alison, her husband is the same: he retains heat, unseasonably. I sympathized with her, even through Cole's eyes. Luisa was freshly alarmed about how precarious and tenuous her life is. Her circumstances are precarious, by definition. Her marriage is tenuous, by what seems to her is not only Cole's ambivalence, but Alison's ability to change the game at will. Meanwhile Luisa can't drive, can't work a job on the books, can't leave the country -- she has no passport -- can't bear a child and can't adopt. I don't hear her blaming Cole or anyone else for any of that. What does anger her about Cole is the way that after several years, he can still seem to forget all that. Perhaps because he's still more used to being with the wife who could do all those things. Perhaps because Alison is still more real to him than Louisa. 

When Luisa chose to marry Cole, his ex-wife was a new mother married to a best-selling novelist and lived two-and-a-half hours away in Manhattan. Most of all, when Luisa chose to marry Cole, he didn't have a child. Joanie was the novelist's daughter. Yet months after her wedding, her husband became a father again: the father of a toddler, with his will-o'-the-wisp of an ex-wife. Not long after adjusting to that, Luisa was asked to become a full-time step-mother, and stepped up. Only then, when Alison returned, to force herself to concede that Joanie and Alison belonged together, despite Alison's frailties.

Luisa is right that she's a "stronger, kinder, more competent" wife to Cole than Alison was in the last years of their marriage, or is likely to be again. Luisa's better than right; she's wise enough to know that this doesn't matter. Her anger is partly at Cole for his ambivalence and denial, but more at fate. Cole loves Alison, not Luisa. We don't love people because they're good for us.

• Love 17

Pallas, you make a good case, and thank you for clarifying the circumstances around the time Luisa agreed to marry Cole.  That always carries a lot of weight with me, though I still wouldn't choose to get involved with someone schlepping as much baggage as Cole.   Fair point that he supposedly had no live children when they married, though.  I can empathize with Luisa, but still hate the methods she's using to become more secure.

• Love 6
16 hours ago, Razzberry said:

I can empathize with Luisa, but still hate the methods she's using to become more secure.

And that's the show: The Affair, or, The Terrible Methods that People Use to Feel More Secure. Noah's methods, Alison's, Helen's, Cole's, and now Vik's and Luisa's.

• Love 4

Cole and his walkabout .... so ridiculous.   I can’t stand Luisa, but I laughed out loud at how quickly she agreed to that suggestion.   She’s packing a bag to go where? ... her mothers apartment in Queens or back to Equador??    Sure, Cole, take your time ... I’ll be here in the mansion.   

The druggie kid looked exactly like the blonde guy from Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure when he was walking into rehab with his colorful outfit and sideways hat.    But, I like the Spiccoli comparison too.  I’m sure Bill & Ted, and every other stoned character since Fast Times, was modeled after him.   I doubt we’ll ever see him again    Served his purpose to put Cole and Ben together and get Cole auspicious    

I was waiting for something to happen on the boat too.   The clip at the beginning with the car ride to nowhere put it in our heads.   I thought Ben was going to attack her right before he kissed her.   Allison walked across the boat for no reason and looked really shady (shadier) all of a sudden.    Her falling back into the water was stupid. 

So, I’m confused about Gabriel’s death.   Is she telling a new story or just leaving something out. Aside from the dry downing detail (or whatever it’s actually called),  didn’t she bring him home to bed and he passed away later?   I always pictured a swimming pool when she told the story previously, not sure why.  

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:16 AM, JenE4 said:

Because this show is The Affair and Allison is single so we need someone in the coupling to be cheating. Allison “knows better” than to get involved with a married man again, hence put her in an unwitting affair.

If this Walkabout doesn’t feature a cameo by Terry O’Quinn (Lost’s John Locke) rolling through in his wheelchair bellowing, “Don’t tell me what I can’t do!!!” then what are we even doing here?

This REALLY makes no sense after he had such a moral superiority complex over Allison “abandoning” Joanie. Lolz, I’ll go have my emotional crisis now—later Joanie. But it’s the perfect plot for Luisa. Now BOTH of these flaky assholes abandoned this kid. I’ll just sip my latte from this Stars and Stripes mug right here are wait for the federal government to give me sole custody of this kid along with my citizenship.  I figure she’ll slip an extra page into the Lobster Roll sale paperwork for Allison to sign, and Joanie is hers! Which, by the way, how was Luisa a star witness in the original custody hearing if she’s afraid the police would find out she’s undocumented but this JUDGE right here is A-OK? 

The EMDR—or Ben’s dreamy eyes—totally cured Allison. She fell into the water to prove to herself she’s no longer terrified of the ocean, and she saw herself in that dream she always had. Ben is the savior she’s dreamt about all these years. He couldn’t jump in too soon because this was a big breakthrough moment. Plus, we finally got some payoff—and footage—for the strange theme song.

I interpreted it differently.  At first I thought she fell in to exorcise the dream and reenact it so she didn't think of it as a warning that should have saved Gabriel.   They deliberately showed Ben was very slow to react, and Alison came up smiling because she saved herself.  That was my take at least.

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:29 AM, attica said:

I fully endorse a grown-ass man with joint custody of his daughter running off to 'find himself' and leaving his kid's care to (presumably) the stepmother for whom he refused to acknowledge the primacy of said caregiving only 10 minutes (of show time, I'm not sure how much time is supposedly elapsing here) earlier. We don't even know if he talked this over with the child's mother, since no such practical conversation was shown. After committing to the child's mother to take the kid so mom could attend a work function. Sure, dude, strap a surfboard to your woodie (no not that one, jeez) and follow your manfeels. And by 'fully endorse' I mean 'GTFO with that bullshit, dude.'

On the other hand, I'm fanwanking that Cherry knows all about walkabouting because of her time in Australia when she was the daughter of that woman who was banging that priest. Before she ran off to Europe to marry Ken Howard.

Justine!  I love her in that role.

• Love 1
(edited)
On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 6:36 PM, scrb said:

Do people remember season 1?

Cole wasn’t a bag of donuts.  There was a reason Alison would cheat.

One early scene — he wanted to, she didn't.  He had this douchey body tattoo which was one reason she was feeling alienated.

Most excuse away Cole's season one behavior by pointing out it's Alison's POV.  But it's indisputable that he was a drug king pin, drunk driving cabbie,  and he pulled a gun on Noah - even Whitney mentioned it (although she claimed the gun was aimed at her).  The character was far more fascinating then.  The Saint Cole of season two was exhausting to me. 

ETA:  I don't think the tattoo was douchey.  Wasn't it a tattoo of Gabriel and it was difficult for her to see it all the time?  My aunt lost her 9 y/o to drowning and thirty years later there's still not a picture of her in the house.  

On ‎7‎/‎11‎/‎2018 at 9:30 PM, preeya said:

One of my all-time favorite characters.

Edited by RedheadZombie
  • Love 2
(edited)
13 hours ago, wallofsound said:

Cole and his walkabout .... so ridiculous.   I can’t stand Luisa, but I laughed out loud at how quickly she agreed to that suggestion.   She’s packing a bag to go where? ... her mothers apartment in Queens or back to Equador??    Sure, Cole, take your time ... I’ll be here in the mansion.   

The druggie kid looked exactly like the blonde guy from Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure when he was walking into rehab with his colorful outfit and sideways hat.    But, I like the Spiccoli comparison too.  I’m sure Bill & Ted, and every other stoned character since Fast Times, was modeled after him.   I doubt we’ll ever see him again    Served his purpose to put Cole and Ben together and get Cole auspicious    

I was waiting for something to happen on the boat too.   The clip at the beginning with the car ride to nowhere put it in our heads.   I thought Ben was going to attack her right before he kissed her.   Allison walked across the boat for no reason and looked really shady (shadier) all of a sudden.    Her falling back into the water was stupid. 

So, I’m confused about Gabriel’s death.   Is she telling a new story or just leaving something out. Aside from the dry downing detail (or whatever it’s actually called),  didn’t she bring him home to bed and he passed away later?   I always pictured a swimming pool when she told the story previously, not sure why.  

But can she even fly to Ecuador?  She doesn't have a passport.

Regarding Gabriel's death - I think they were on the beach at their house that Alison's grandmother gave her.  Gabriel revived and seemed normal.  I think she bathed him and put him to bed only to find him dead later.  The pediatrician called it a secondary drowning and reassured her that she wasn't at fault.  Cherry tormented Alison and blamed her because precious Cole couldn't be at fault.

Edited by RedheadZombie
Gabriel
  • Love 2
On 7/8/2018 at 10:16 PM, Gem 10 said:

Yes, it was a dry drowning.  The after affects and fever from too much water in the lungs.  I also thought Alison going on the boat was going to end up bad.

why did she lie and say "no one saved him" . these people are all crazy. 

On 7/9/2018 at 1:25 AM, MBayGal said:

I laughed when Cherry said the father went to some little town with a big rock in the middle of the sea.  I love Morro Bay, lived there for several years, and am only 20 miles away now. You can walk to the rock from town easily.  I saw the story in the paper that they were filming there for a couple of days, but didn't drive over. 

Since Cole never knew his father had been there, how did he have the postcard from his father?  Or was I distracted and Cherry gave it to him?  In that case, she would have known the name.  

It is a real thing, but it doesn't work in 10 seconds like on the show.  A friend of mine was afraid to fly, so had to take the train cross country to visit her ailing sister. She went to an EMDR practictioner for a while and was able to fly -- tho with a few xanax

what the heck was that with lay people practicing emdr on each other? i went to a therapist who wanted to try this on me, and after reading more about it, decided not to. one of the possible outcomes while doing it were seizures.  shouldn't this be left up to professionals trained in this?  it's not supposed to be a party act like they were showing, sort of like hypnotism. is this really a thing because it seems dangerous.

On 7/9/2018 at 10:26 PM, CarpeFelis said:

In the scene where he and Alison were practicing whatever voodoo that was, and she got up and left, it showed he left his bag on the floor by his chair.

i'm all for alternatives to drugs for mental issues but this stuff sound like voodoo bull crap for sure. i know, i was asked to try it and researched it. 

5 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

But can she even fly to Ecuador?  She doesn't have a passport.

She can't but that's always been the case so why is it all of a sudden a big problem?

Now supposedly ICE is cracking down on enforcement, looking to find reasons to deport or even de-naturalize some legal immigrants who went through the process.

But were these scripts written within the last year?  It's one thing if Luisa or Cole mentioned that they're really cracking down these days and she had to keep a low profile or something.

Montauk is a small town so if she's been living and working there for years, you'd think the local cops would know of her, though local cops aren't necessarily looking to enforce immigration laws or even narc to ICE.

I would think it would have been very difficult for her mother and her to get into the US illegally.  It's one thing for people to come from Central America and sneak in through the border.  But from Ecuador?  There are undocumented people who enter with a visitor visa or papers, like going to school in the US or visiting as a tourist.  Then they just never return.

Ecuador, like all of South America, is not a Visa Waiver county, meaning Ecuadoreans have to get a visa to visit the US.  So presumably they had to have some kind of papers from Ecuador to get a US visa?  Maybe Luisa was too young to get an Ecuadorian passport?

Or maybe they went to Mexico and then crossed the border illegally?

According to the Wiki, visa overstays can be almost half of the illegal immigrant population and there are hundreds of thousands of illegal immigrants from countries like India, China and the Philippines:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Illegal_immigration_to_the_United_States

• Love 2

her mothers apartment in Queens or back to Equador?? 

I believe her mother lives in Queens and that is where she was planning to go when Cole found her packing. Remember when Cole showed up for Luisa's family Thanksgiving in Queens before they were married???

On 7/11/2018 at 9:29 AM, attica said:

On the other hand, I'm fanwanking that Cherry knows all about walkabouting because of her time in Australia when she was the daughter of that woman who was banging that priest. Before she ran off to Europe to marry Ken Howard.

Yes!! I was completely obsessed with the Thorn Birds! I remember a scene where Rachel Ward is screaming about her son, Not my Dane!” - always stuck with me.

Of course a young Cherry (Mare Winningham) was also relieved of her virginity by one young, hot saxophone player - Rob Lowe in St. Elmo’s Fire.

Along with the rest of the nation, I discovered Mare Winningham and Richard Thomas during the 70s and they have always been two of my favorite actors. So I was pleased and looking forward to seeing Mare again when I heard about a new show called The Affair. I dimly remembered that she began her career as a vocalist so when I heard the theme song intro-ing the first episode I thought "Damn, she's still good." I had heard of Fiona Apple but wasn't the least bit familiar with her work and it was most of the way through the first season when I found out that she wrote and sang the theme. But, for real, it sounds just like Mare, her intonations and staccato way of speaking, amirite? 

I totally thought they were both going to be stranded in the ocean because Ben had just pulled up the anchor, so the boat would be floating away while they are in the water.... 

• Love 3

And what was with Noah reminder that he raised Joanie for two years at the beginning of Alison's part?

That whole scene was laughable. Noah bitches about Helen to Alison for not dropping everything to allow him to reconnect with the kids he abandoned for years to raise Alisons kid instead. He then playfully reminds Allison that he raised Joanie for two years as his own due to her lying about it and they have a little giggle.

if this show could give me anything it would be everyone finally calling Alison out for selfish liar that she is. 

• Love 2

This episode was maddening.

1)HELEN, he asked you NOT to say anything to his parents tonight. It doesn’t matter why! You don’t get to make that call!

2) the whole reason Alison lost custody in the first place is for leaving for six months, and she was ill and needed help. Now Cole can just leave for six months without saying goodbye to his daughter, with no plan in place, and for no good health reason, and it’s fine??? 

3) Luisa- no reasonable person would ask a mother to give up custody of her child so you can have citizenship. What? Why was everyone (Cherry, Luisa) acting like if Cole only loved Luisa he would do that. What??? No he wouldn’t. 

• Love 1
On 7/12/2018 at 2:10 PM, Lady Iris said:

She is one of my fave actresses and its good to see her back.

Mare Winningham is always great. I really liked her scene with Joshua Jackson. She is such a natural actor, and I think JJ's acting was elevated by being in the scene with her. (I do like JJ's acting in general, but I realized how much better he seemed to me in the scene with MW.)

Speaking of acting, probable Party of One here, but I think Ruth Wilson is great as Alison. I was blown away by the EMDR scene, even as I agree that having participants in a conference practice it after a quick demo seemed lame. I first saw her in Luther, where I thought she stole the show. Alison is a tough character to play, IMO, but RW does it so well.

• Love 1
On 7/9/2018 at 4:37 PM, Tikichick said:

I was watching to see if they would show us if  Ben had one.

I noticed he left his tote bag behind when he went to chase after Allison after she fled from their practice session.

On 7/11/2018 at 9:54 AM, Elizzikra said:

I thought it was just a mistake or like the fifth take and they were using the same bottle over and over again. If the wine was drugged, they sort of dropped that part of the plot, no?

IMO if they were going to reuse the bottle, the actor dropped the ball because he should have faked the cap resisting when he tried to open it.

On 7/11/2018 at 6:29 AM, attica said:

What The Affair really needs at this point is Cherry's Australian great-aunt, Barbara Stanwyck.

stanwyck.gif