Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
theredhead77

Frozen Meals: Not Your Parents' TeeVee Dinners

I bring lunch to work and found myself in a rut with the same Lean Cuisines over and over, not wanting to pay more than a couple bucks for them and ultimately grabbing lunch out when I couldn't bring myself to eat it again. Then I discovered some delicious frozen meals for just a few dollars more, and still cheaper than going out.

Eating Well - http://frozenfresh.eatingwell.com/ mac & cheese, chicken & fingerling potatoes and creamy pesto chicken are all fantastic

What are your hidden gem frozen meal suggestions?

Amy's frozen pizzas - but they need an oven. I also keep things like Bertolli's meals in the freezer - they're cooked on the stovetop. They are my emergency dinners when I don't have anything else in the house for whatever reason.

• Like 1

Trader Joe’s has a lot of frozen options, many of which can be microwaved. I usually keep their Indian entrees on hand. Their Mac and cheese and burritos are pretty good too.

• Like 1

13 hours ago, chessiegal said:

I also keep things like Bertolli's meals in the freezer - they're cooked on the stovetop

P.F. Chang's frozen meals have a permanent spot in my freezer. 

We just started buying the PF Chang bags.  The one I really like is the Chicken Fried Rice.  Love TJ's Reduced Guilt Mac and Cheese after I sprinkle some paprika on it.  Also love Bertolli's asparagus and shrimp with penne but they've gotten a bit cheap with the asparagus lately (the thinnest spears I've ever seen...as thin as twine!) I like to sprinkle Mural of Flavor over it and add a bit of white wine. Frozen naan from TJ's is so good baked for a few minutes and it goes so well with TJ's Indian simmering sauces.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, annzeepark914 said:

Also love Bertolli's asparagus and shrimp with penne but they've gotten a bit cheap with the asparagus lately (the thinnest spears I've ever seen...as thin as twine!)

I used to keep either that one or the chicken florentine and farfalle in the freezer, but quit years ago because they got so skimpy with ingredients.  Those Bertolli meals were great when they first came out (the sodium content meant it should only be an occasional thing, but other than that they were great), but then they kept the price the same yet cut way back on everything but the pasta.  Forget that noise.

I don't have any personal suggestions for frozen meals to take to work for lunch (I work out of my home office most of the time, and when I do have to go in, I just take leftovers or make a salad or sandwich), but the Trader Joe's offerings seem popular (and seem to use more natural ingredients and less unnecessary crud than most).

• Like 1

On 7/5/2018 at 3:34 PM, annzeepark914 said:

I like to sprinkle Mural of Flavor

Shout out to Penzey's! Mural of Flavor came in one of the packs they were offering and I think it's my new favorite seasoning!

The other brand I couldn't recall is Sweet Earth - everything I've tried from them is good.

• Like 3

On 7/5/2018 at 4:27 PM, chessiegal said:

I add fresh asparagus to the Bertolli's asparagus and shrimp so there is enough vegetable in it.

Excellent idea!  I'm going to do that next time. Thanks.