Type keyword(s) to search

A Very English Scandal - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I've watched only the first installment, and Grant is marvelous in the role, as is Ben Whishaw in his.  But it's a bit odd that they cast someone a good 20 years older than Thorpe was at the time of the events depicted.  When a reporter asked Thorpe/Grant a question about being one the youngest ever Labor party leaders at 37, it was a bit jarring.  Granted, the real Thorpe (scroll down here) looked a bit older (maybe 45) at the time, but as ABay notes, Grant's real age cannot be disguised.

• Useful 1

Hmmm, doesn't seem to be generating much of a following here.  I enjoyed the series less as it went on.  For me the most interesting part was the actual relationship between Thorpe and Scott, but the mini-series dispensed with that pretty quickly.  The 2nd installment in particular felt very slapsticky.  It bounced back a bit with the trial in the 3rd installment.  I thought the scene where Thorpe/Grant explained the "why" of his relationship with Scott to his barrister (punctuated with background scenes of

Spoiler

Thorpe being roughed up by some of the men he picked up)

was very effective.

• Like 1

I thought the series was an absolute treat and am looking forward to watching it again. I liked that it was done largely as near-farce, although apparently Scott did not approve of attempts at his own murder being played for laughs. I've recommended it to all and sundry, and no one's disliked it. Plus, it had so many of my favorite British actors. (I swear there are only 25 British actors in total, and they just keep showing up in everything.) And every show I've seen Ben Whishaw in he ends up in floods of tears at some point (I call him Weepin' Ben Whishaw). Eighteen minutes in to Scandal? Floods. He is an excellent cryer (and actor).

• Love 4
6 hours ago, Inquisitionist said:

For me the most interesting part was the actual relationship between Thorpe and Scott, but the mini-series dispensed with that pretty quickly.  The 2nd installment in particular felt very slapsticky. 

I liked the first installment the best too.  I liked the mini-series but I think I would have liked it more had it only been two hours instead of three.

Golden Globe nominations!

Best Television Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television
Best Performance by an Actor in a Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Hugh Grant
Best Performance by an Actor in a Supporting Role in a Series, Limited Series or Motion Picture Made for Television: Ben Whishaw

I didn't expect to like it -- so much of this genre is sensationalized and exploitative.  But I ended up being sympathetic to both Thorpe and Scott, although I did feel some guilt, seeing as how Thorpe solicited a murder.

Another example of how the "good old days" were only good for a certain segment of the population.

Grant was great, and Whishaw stole every scene he was in.

• Love 2
On 4/27/2022 at 5:06 PM, Razzberry said:

Season 2 is now up on Amazon!  A 3 episode mini series now called 'A Very British Scandal' starring Claire Foy and Paul Bettany as the Duke and Duchess of Argyll.   Loved it.

I just started watching episode 1 today. It’s really fun. 

• Love 1

Top to bottom fantastic. Bettany and Foy are fantastic in this.

While I knew the broad beats of their relationship what was a surprise was how equally (objectively) terrible they were.

• Like 1
  • Love 1

Finished this last night. I knew only a little about the story, mostly because it became the basis for an opera. Agreed that this was excellently done. I wish it had gotten more publicity. Did not realize Polaroids went back this far. I guess this could be the first instance of a selfie getting one into a lot of trouble.

• Like 1

I adored the first season because Hugh and Ben were so fantastic. This season is less successful. I'm not a fan of Claire Foy, and all of these upper crust folks are running together on my TV screen. Still, the scenery and clothes are fun.

• Love 1

The first season's scandal was so much more compelling because it was such a wild ride of crazy events.  The second season's scandal felt all too familiar because I've watched countless other shows with that same sort of plot and having this be based on an actual real life couple didn't make it anymore compelling or exciting for me to watch I'm sorry to say.  But I would still rather watch a hundred more seasons of this show over the garbage on television.  The production value is a 10/10 along with the superb acting. 

• Love 1
(edited)
On 5/6/2022 at 8:26 AM, pasdetrois said:

I adored the first season because Hugh and Ben were so fantastic. This season is less successful. I'm not a fan of Claire Foy, and all of these upper crust folks are running together on my TV screen. Still, the scenery and clothes are fun.

I think Paul Bettany was miscast. He’s not really attractive or rugged as the character is described. He’s kind of pasty-face and wimpy to me and creepy. Just my opinion. 

It’s hard to like Claire Foy’s character. I kind of want to see her have consequences. The guy is an absolute jerk, so there’s no one to root for here. 

Edited by Sweet-tea
  • Like 1
  • Love 1

I just binged both seasons. The acting was excellent in both, as were scenery and sets. But I found all four characters to be unlikable, with moments of sympathy for each. All four seemed to behave selfishly and lack empathy.

Although the way society treated women and effeminate men, you could see why Scott and the Duchess fought back against being used by powerful men. The court judgment readings at the end of both trials were horrific, proving the point. 

• Like 2