Type keyword(s) to search

S02.E05: Vaginalologist

• Start Topic

Well I'll be damned! Zlata shooting Bryce is one thing but Zlata sucking and obviously fucking Ruval while claiming to be Desna's friend and mentor is quite another. Shit's gonna get extra ugly now!

• Love 18

I suspected that Zlata knew who Ruval was, but I didn't expect the double-team of Desna.  I'm glad Desna found out, though, she drank Zlata's Kool-Aid long enough.

So it looks like Roller is a good dad, who knew!  He always has good chemistry with Desna, but is he actually falling for the Russian?
Next week's episode should be interesting.

I'm in love with some of these outfits, who made Desna's skirt in the beginning and Zlata's coat/cape thing?  I have to have them!

• Love 11
(edited)

There ends Desna's delusion. I don't really understand what Ruval and Zlata are up to with Desna. It seems like an overly complicated scheme for the Russian and Haiti criminal element.

UncleDaddy's brawl was vicious and hilarious. Those guys had a death wish to keep on attacking him. 

Harold Perrineau is too good an actor for the role of Dean.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 14

Damn Densa. I knew she would likely find out about Ruval after the proposal but didn't think it would be like that. When shit goes down, maybe Desna and Ann will be cell buddies and can commiserate over their betrayals together.  In other news, Vanilla Bryce's storyline has reached its zenith for me so I'm meh on whether he lives or dies.

• Love 4

I wonder if they are softening up Roller to lay the groundwork for his reunion with Desna.

It was odd that Zlata didn't take cover when they were shooting at her. And how the hell did they miss her on that stage?

• Love 7

We knew that things were going to blow up in Desna’s face this season, what with the Haitian. Last week we knew the fan was on high last week with QA stupidly leaving that message and Dr. Ken getting busted. This episode let us know that the protective cover on the fan was off when Roller, Jen, and damn near everyone else reminded her about her Russian benefactor, and Desna still put her above everyone else, but I never saw this ending coming.

Side note, Polly is getting on my nerve with her “mothering.” We know something is seriously off with her with the lies she tells herself and everyone else, but even if that girl was her biological child, which she is not, or if she was actually raised by Polly, which she was not, she doesn’t owe Polly her life and it is not her job to live out whatever fantasy family Polly invented in her mind.

• Love 13

Why didn't Desna walk in on Zlata and Ruval to show them she knew about them? Zlata still needs her to do the legwork for the clinics and Ruval would just look like the asshole he is--and he also still needs her do be working the clinics; he's just higher up on the chain. I don't understand the long game here. I'm with you, @SimoneS.

I'm already tired just thinking about Desna pretending to still be in love with Ruval and being Zlata's loyal "lieutenant".

• Love 3
(edited)
4 hours ago, Happytobehere said:

Side note, Polly is getting on my nerve with her “mothering.” We know something is seriously off with her with the lies she tells herself and everyone else, but even if that girl was her biological child, which she is not, or if she was actually raised by Polly, which she was not, she doesn’t owe Polly her life and it is not her job to live out whatever fantasy family Polly invented in her mind.

Yeah -I was kinda annoyed with Marnie because I felt like she was being an ungrateful jerk to Polly the last few episodes, but then I realized she's been putting up with Polly's weird fake crap for months now, and likely utterly sick of it. She's clearly unwilling to play along any more and because Marnie's a teenager who doesn't really know how to say, "Thank you for what you did, and do for me, but you aren't my mother and are a pathological lair so chill out and don't cross my boundaries" instead she's surly and rude and doing things Polly doesn't care for. 

As a side note, I had no idea Dean's actor is 54. Damn, he looks freaking amazing. 

Edited by jamfly
  • Love 5
8 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I wonder if they are softening up Roller to lay the groundwork for his reunion with Desna.

Yep, it's looked that way all season. Redemption for Roller the kidnapping rapist. As if we're supposed to forget all we saw and heard last season. It's giving me some serious Todd Manning OLTL teas.

All of these people except Dean and, oddly, Virginia are repulsive.

• Love 6
(edited)
7 hours ago, bilgistic said:

Why didn't Desna walk in on Zlata and Ruval to show them she knew about them? Zlata still needs her to do the legwork for the clinics and Ruval would just look like the asshole he is--and he also still needs her do be working the clinics; he's just higher up on the chain. I don't understand the long game here. I'm with you, @SimoneS.

I'm already tired just thinking about Desna pretending to still be in love with Ruval and being Zlata's loyal "lieutenant".

I was the opposite. I thought that Desna was crazy going to confront Zlata. She could have killed Desna and just gotten someone else to do the work. No one is irreplaceable in the drug business which is why so many people involved get killed. At least, Desna had the good sense not to confront Zlata and Ruval. IMO, Desna's better move now is to end the engagement to Ruval while continuing to work for Zlata and pretend that she doesn't know about their scheme. I don't see the upside of confronting Zlata and Ruval with the truth or teaming up with UncleDaddy to take them on. She should just keep her head down and try to survive their war so of course, she won't do this because there is no drama in taking this approach.

1 hour ago, bombast said:

All of these people except Dean and, oddly, Virginia are repulsive.

Virginia is surprisingly likeable. It is her stupidity and love for Dean.

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 19
12 hours ago, belladonna77 said:

Despite Vanilla Bryce being an ass for the past few episodes, I am genuinely fond of his character. I hope he doesn't die.

Kevin Rankin is a regular, so I expect he'll live, at least for a few more episodes.

2 hours ago, SimoneS said:

I thought that Desna was crazy going to confront Zlata. She could have killed Desna and just gotten someone else to do the work. No one is irreplaceable in the drug business which is why so many people involved get killed. At least, Desna had the good sense not to confront Zlata and Ruval. IMO, Desna's better move now is to end the engagement to Ruval while continuing to work for Zlata and pretend that she doesn't know about their scheme. I don't see the upside of confronting Zlata and Ruval with the truth or teaming up with UncleDaddy to take them on. She should just keep her head down and try to survive their war so of course, she won't do this because there is no drama in taking this approach.

We know Zlata has no problems killing people she doesn't want around, so Desna was right not to confront her and Ruval right then. Desna should figure out what's going on and go from there. Do Zlata and Uncle Daddy know Ruval is working with the other? I wonder if Roller will tell Desna now that Uncle Daddy and Ruval are working together. I also wonder how genuine Ruval's feelings are for Zlata. It's obvious he has no trouble mixing business and pleasure.

• Love 5

I want to thank whoever decided to relegate Virginia much more to the background this season. I couldn't stand her in S1. Now that she's less relevant to the stories going on, I can deal with her better.

I am happy at my table of 1 that the writing for Roller is less of a yo-yo this season. I don't know who won the fight in the writers' room about what direction to take his character but I am happy with the winner. I don't know where the show is going with Roller or with Roller/Desna but I like their easier vibe this season. I thought scene of her trimming his eyebrows... which should've maybe been triggering for him... was cute. And Bogdan with the grill pacifier!

I figured Zlata knew who Ruval was from jump but that they're actually together and targeted Desna? I didn't see that coming. I also wonder if Olga marrying Roller ties in to what seems their plan to take over the ops in that area permanently from the Dixie Mafia? (side note: Has Roller taken a paternity test?) I felt badly for Desna walking in on them mocking her and his proposal to her. I knew Desna had been heading for a fall cause she's spent most of this season with her head in the clouds about Ruval as well as appreciating Zlata's take charge personality too much but I felt badly for her overhearing their conversation and subsequent oral sex.

Dean getting his Magic Mike on was entertaining. 

Uncle Daddy got his mojo back. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Chick2Chic said:

I thought scene of her trimming his eyebrows

Last time we saw a grooming session, Desna was threading his eyebrows. I wonder if that got too time-consuming to set up? Heh.

• Love 4

Dashiki Barbie. I kinda like it actually.

OMG, Polly channeling Debbie Allen in Fame. Polly's like a bottomless well of cultural references.

Uncle Daddy's visitation from his wife's ghost was all kinds of ugh. But "the skort is the hysterectomy of casual separates" was golden. This show has the best quips.

Do we know for sure that's Roller's baby? I see a heartbreak coming for him too now that he's starting to care about the child.

Nope, did not want to see Dean stripping, even if he is good at it.

WAIT, WHAT!!!!???? Poor Desna. It was almost guaranteed Zlata and Greg knew each other but geez, not like that. I'm just glad the scales have finally fallen (or been ripped) from Desna's eyes about Zlata.

• Love 8
1 hour ago, dubbel zout said:

Kevin Rankin is a regular, so I expect he'll live, at least for a few more episodes.

I really hope that the show doesn't go down the usual soap trope of "Getting shot made him realize that Jen is important to him and will call off the divorce".  If anything, this should reinforce to both of them how dangerous Zlata/their lifestyle is, and Jen should take the kids and get the hell out of Palmetto for awhile. 

Polly is exhausting, I couldn't imagine having to live with that. I would have told her off early on. Its not loveable or cute after awhile.

• Love 2

I'm still trying to process the last few minutes of fuckery from last night.  Just...DAYUMMMM!

Desna's epithet:  "Damn!  Can a bitch catch a break?  Just once?"  Or, better yet:  "Why me?"

I knew she was headed for a fall after being simultaneously seduced by Dr. Love and the material "rewards" of being crazy Zlata's "lieutenant."  I just didn't expect her eyes to be opened this soon and so drastically.  As a woman, I don't know which would have been worse for me.  Hearing my so-called man tell Zlata how much better she looks without makeup (if one likes the rode-hard-put-away-wet vibe; shallow, I know); catching him being sucked and fucked by my "friend"; or hearing them laughing at me and plotting behind my back.  I was so upset for Desna, I was ready to cut a bitch on her behalf.

I'm all for her playing it cool because she saw that crazy bitch shoot her own sister in the head with no regrets.  I'm also reminded that Desna's happily ever after was quite simple at one time: she just wanted to get from under Uncle Daddy's thumb; to win a competition; and to open her own high-end shop.  Oh, and to move into a big house.  That she thought she found love (a doctor!) on a two-way street was the icing on the cake, but she lost in on a treacherous highway.  At the rate things are going for her, she's going to end up in a big house alright except it will be at the taxpayers' expense.

• Love 9
1 minute ago, MulletorHater said:

Hearing my so-called man tell Zlata how much better she looks without makeup (if one likes the rode-hard-put-away-wet vibe; shallow, I know); catching him being sucked and fucked by my "friend"; or hearing them laughing at me and plotting behind my back.  I was so upset for Desna, I was ready to cut a bitch on her behalf.

I am going with the latter. Beauty is in the eye of the beholder and she's already been down the road of seeing her man cheat in S1 (and I think prior from the conversation in that bridal party scene in S1), but the mocking had to wound because IMO that was her dream: a good man followed by a dream house for her and Dean. And to find out he not only meant none of it but was cruel about what she probably considered the most wonderful moment of her life? OUCH. I look forward to seeing how she deals with it but confronting Zlata or Ruval directly would be suicide. She needs to stealth cut bitches in this situation. 

• Love 14
(edited)

I wonder if Ruval is playing Zlata and really cares about Desna or he is playing both of them? He could be using Zlata to push out the Russians with the intention of being with Desna (or dumping her) after the dust settles. I also wonder if Sheryl Lee Ralph's character is really his mother or is she his lover?

Edited by SimoneS
  • Love 2
13 minutes ago, SimoneS said:

I wonder if Ruval is playing Zlata and really cares about Desna or he is playing both of them? He could be using Zlata to push out the Russians with the intention of being with Desna (or dumping her) after the dust settles. I also wonder if Sheryl Lee Ralph's character is really his mother or is she his lover?

I am going with him playing with her if only because I've always thought Gregory and Desna were very dry together, regardless of the graphic sex scenes and endless chatter about how great the sex was between them.  I just didn't see any sparks.  IMO, he was probably trying to dickmatize her into ignoring her instincts. 

11 minutes ago, dubbel zout said:

She might be both. On this show, you never know.

This is true.  I am also curious about all those silent young girls hanging around. 

• Love 5

Thank God Desna finally knows whats up with Doctor Crime Boss! That was a brutal way to find out that not only was her new bestie Zlata playing her, but her perfect man is not only a criminal (after being so excited to FINALLY find a non criminal guy) but is scamming her, but at least she knows whats up now. She was drinking that Zlata Kool Aid too hard. Zlata is certainly entertaining and is certainly a solid businesswoman, but she is also certainly a brutal mob boss and general crazy person. Although, holy crap the lady can dress. 

Uncle Daddy gets his groove back! Its really a certain kind of show that can have me cheering a racist weirdo mob boss beating up jerks in suites for making fun of him and his S&M clad boytoy after getting a pep talk from his dead wife. And feeling my heart warmed at a woman cheering for her autistic brother to live out his stripper dreams. Also, how the hell is it that Virginia and Dean are coming off as the most stable people on the show at this point, at least relationship wise? 

I almost wonder if the silent little girls are a reference to the urban legend of mysterious little voodoo zombie girls who silently sell things in Haiti? Or, more likely, they're being trafficked or something. 

Bryce cheering up Uncle Daddy by taking him to Cracker Barrel was hilarious. I hope Bryce survives, I am still rooting for him and Jenn, damn it. 

Polly doing a Fame reference for her stripper show is just so very Polly. You know, at first I thought that her kind of daughter was being bratty towards her, but then I was reminded that she has been dealing with Polly's constant lying and smothering weirdness for several months now. And now Polly is being super passive aggressive about her life choices (which are certainly odd, but are certainly better than a LOT of character on this show, including Polly) and is trying to turn her into a mini Polly. I dont blame her for pushing back.

• Love 9
3 hours ago, dubbel zout said:

I wonder if she'll cut a deal with Arlene. The FBI and local police are starting to close in, so she might as well get ahead of all of that while she can.

I can see this happening.  Dr. Ken is not going to make a compelling witness when the time comes if he even lives long enough.  Also, he is also treating legitimate patients along with the fraudulent ones, and he cannot break doctor/patient privilege.  The cops need someone like Desna to connect all the dots in any investigation.  If she plays her cards right, she can escape a lengthy prison sentence. 

• Love 4

So Polly has a twin?  Has this been mentioned before?  It sure sounds like foreshadowing for a future storyline and a chance for Carrie Preston to have some fun with it.

• Love 4

@Joimiaroxeu, I liked Dashiki Barbie too, LOL.

Man, fuck Zlata. Fuck Ruval, too, but he’s been a lying POS for a while now. I actually liked Zlata and her girl power attitude, and how supportive she was to Desna. I hope Desna tells Clay. Yeah, I don’t think either one of them would have been above killing Desna then and there if she had made her presence known.

Dean’s dancing ... well, then. I was surprised someone upthread said Harol Perrineau looked younger than his age; I didn’t know his age but thought he looked about 50. But I always remember him as Black Jesus from Living Single 20 years ago, so I well remember what young Harold looked like.

• Love 5
11 minutes ago, OpalEyes said:

Hi everyone! I've been lurking here for a long time and finally feel the need to add my 2 cents.

It seems to me that Zlata and Ruval are setting Desna to be the fall guy. They are too smart not to know that they are being watched by the cops/feds. Since Zlata came into the picture, she's had Desna be front and foremost in all her shady businesses. All those gifts, like the house, the car and the cash? Those are just more pieces of false evidence for if and when the hammer comes down. They've baited Desna with trappings of the 'goog life' and she's gobbled it all up while allowing herself to become fully exposed. Also, Zlata and ruval now have their hands in every aspect of Desna's life and all the people that she loves. That means that crazy Zlata and slimy Ruval have Desna by the balls. As you'll remember from Zlata's first show of crazy in the nursing home before she shot Reeva, she said that back in Georgia (Russia), when they want hurt you they bomb your whole street and kill the people that you love the most. Now it seems like that's about to happen to Desna (or at least the threat of it), with an added helping of setting her up to be the fall guy and do the hard time for their crimes.  

@OpalEyes, you need to change your handle to QuietAnne. You finally speak up and blow my damn mind, LOL. The setup you laid out never crossed my mind but it makes total sense.

There have been at least 4 different religions represented on this show, they all need to come together and pray for Desna.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, bobbyjoe said:

So Polly has a twin?  Has this been mentioned before?  It sure sounds like foreshadowing for a future storyline and a chance for Carrie Preston to have some fun with it.

It was mentioned in the last episode. This now makes two potential characters who have been mentioned and who will probably make an appear ance at some point: Polly's estranged twin sister and Quiet Ann's long-lost daughter.

• Love 3
36 minutes ago, OpalEyes said:

They've baited Desna with trappings of the 'goog life' and she's gobbled it all up while allowing herself to become fully exposed.

Exactly.  Which is why I won't give a damn when/if she goes down.

• Love 1
(edited)

So many enemies for Desna now:  Zlata and the Russians, Dr. Ruval and the Haiti-ans (I like to think Toby was making a Clueless reference), the cops and feds. That’s what I get for complaining that the premiere was too slow-paced.

ETA: I like that they didn’t clean up Dead Juanda in Clay’s hallucination, but why was she suggesting he rape one of those homophobes? I don’t feel like that added anything to her little pep talk.

Edited by link417
  • Love 1
9 hours ago, Chick2Chic said:

1) I want to thank whoever decided to relegate Virginia much more to the background this season. I couldn't stand her in S1. Now that she's less relevant to the stories going on, I can deal with her better.

2) I am happy at my table of 1 that the writing for Roller is less of a yo-yo this season. I don't know who won the fight in the writers' room about what direction to take his character but I am happy with the winner. I don't know where the show is going with Roller or with Roller/Desna but I like their easier vibe this season. I thought scene of her trimming his eyebrows... which should've maybe been triggering for him... was cute. 

3) I also wonder if Olga marrying Roller ties in to what seems their plan to take over the ops in that area permanently from the Dixie Mafia? (side note: Has Roller taken a paternity test?)

4) Dean getting his Magic Mike on was entertaining. 

5) Uncle Daddy got his mojo back. 

1) I still don’t care for or truly trust Virginia, but I do agree she has not been insufferable this season. 

2) I too am liking Roller more this season and the steps the show has taken to show that however their relationship began, and whatever dirt has transpired between them, at some point, Roller and Desna actually began to deeply care for/possibly love one another. I think the show runners know that the Roller they created when he was a one and done character cannot remain if he is to remain a viable long-term character on the show.

3) I had the same thoughts as I watched Roller bonding with “his son” I think it’s going to be revealed that the baby isn’t his and that this was a plan on the part of the Russians to get their hooks in the Dixie Maffia. If the baby is Roller’s I doubt Olga will be long for this world; leaving him as a single parent.

4) The actor playing Dean kills it each week.

5) Now that’s the Uncle-Daddy I came to love to hate last season.

• Love 6
9 hours ago, MulletorHater said:

That she thought she found love (a doctor!) on a two-way street was the icing on the cake, but she lost in on a treacherous highway.

I loved that song!

This may or may not be a UO, but I have never liked Polly.  Never.  Quiet Ann creeps me out, and Dean is becoming more and more annoying.  

• Love 1

I know this is just a fantasy show, but how does a fight like Uncle Daddy had in that club have no repercussions? It was in a public place, not someone's home, and there were plenty of casualties and witnesses.

Also, if all of this takes place in Palmetto, why is the Sarasota PD involved?

From the recap:

By way of answer, Uncle Daddy mumbles that he's sick of people pissing in his mouth and calling it "mango liq-war."

It was not that clear, but the closed-captioning indicated that he said "mango La Croix" (i.e, that brand of sparkling water.)

• Love 3

As awful as it was, Desna needed that Band Aid ripped off in one clean jerk.  She was so taken in by both sides of their game the only way she was going to snap out of it was all cards on the table and a happy ending to leave no room for doubt.    Now she can get her feet back on the ground, apologize to the people who are truly loyal and supportive of her and dispose of Zlata, Ruval -- and the real power player behind the whole sick game.  Can't wait until Desna gets to unmask? her by ripping off the gray wig.

• Love 5

I have to ask because the suspense is killing me-

Doctor Terrific started love bombing Desna before Zlata ever showed up.  Now Doc and Zlata are in cahoots to set Desna up as the patsy.  So do we think Zlata knew she was going to come to Palmetto and off Reva, so she made a point of getting to know some of the locals before hand?  Or that she didn't meet Doc until after she got there, but they became tight enough to work together and trust one another in a very short time.  I think the sex is just sex, so I'm not including that in my calculus but wondering how long Doc and Zlata have been working together is really bothering me because of his meetings with Uncle Daddy.  Are they really working together or are they just using each other- I NEED TO KNOW!

With regard to a possible Roller redemption/ reuniting with Desna- I hope not, and so far this show has done a pretty good job of not falling into the obvious cliches, so I'm going to trust them for now.  Roller is being rehabbed, no doubt, but I can see them going a completely different way like Roller falls in love with Mail Order Bride- they team up to take down Zlata but Bride (of Bogdan) dies and Roller becomes crazier and more ruthless than Uncle Daddy.

Speaking of Uncle Daddy- holy wow that bar fight was bananas.  Uncle Daddy is the Honey Badger and he does NOT give a shit.

9 hours ago, lizzyp said:

Doctor Terrific started love bombing Desna before Zlata ever showed up.  Now Doc and Zlata are in cahoots to set Desna up as the patsy.  So do we think Zlata knew she was going to come to Palmetto and off Reva, so she made a point of getting to know some of the locals before hand?  Or that she didn't meet Doc until after she got there, but they became tight enough to work together and trust one another in a very short time

I think it's the latter. I think that Ruval initially showed interest in Desna so that eventually she would come to work for the Haitians. He could see that Desna is a loyal,hardworking solider and that is a valuable asset. Between Uncle Daddy bitching about and Desna likely praising/admiring Zlata, it piqued his interest in her.

• Love 1

Until we know exactly what type of crimes Ruval is commiting, we can't really say how he fits in with the rest of the criminal organization. Is Ruval a competitor (drug dealer) or does he make their jobs easier (money launderer, gun runner) or is he neutral (human trafficker).