Type keyword(s) to search

The Conners: Speculation and Spoilers

• Start Topic

2 hours ago, Chaos Theory said:

The actress who plays her is only 19 which isn’t beyond unreasonable for actors and actresses to play teenagers.    All they need to really do is tone down Harris a little and make her a little less bitchy.  But to be honest she is playing almost the same character she is playing on Shameless.

I haven’t watched Shameless but I saw the actress doing a few interviews last spring and she is a delight.   I hope they make Harris a bit more likeable this season, I know she is a teenager and comes from a broken home but maybe we can see some more depth.  

• Love 3

This is struck work and the actors should be ashamed. Rosanne found these people who were unknowns and gave them careers. They repay her by stealing her life’s work. The actors should have shown solidarity and refused to work without Rosanne. But they are gutless and ungrateful. Hope the show bombs.

• Love 4

I am actually looking forward to this in large part because it’s mere existence pisses of so many people.  I have seen tv shows that parents though they could watch with their kids that turned out to have cussing and nudity with less outrage.    

Twitter is hilarious.  

• Love 14

Just a reminder, "Concerned": 1988 Roseanne Barr had people believing she was a feh-muh-nist Sticking It To The Patriarchy. 2018 Roseanne Barr has long since let her racist bigoted arsehole true self show. She's bought her own fate. No sympathy.

• Love 19
3 hours ago, Concerned said:

This is struck work and the actors should be ashamed. Rosanne found these people who were unknowns and gave them careers. They repay her by stealing her life’s work. The actors should have shown solidarity and refused to work without Rosanne. But they are gutless and ungrateful. Hope the show bombs.

John Goodman was doing feature films and Laurie Metcalf was on Broadway.

• Love 14

I will watch tonight out of curiosity about how they deal with Roseanne being gone but will not continue to watch the series.  Darlene and her kids are boring and I don't think the cast can carry a show on their own.  It's only 10 episodes anyway.

• Love 3

Without Rosanne, this show is a nothing burger. The actors will phone in their roles and collect a paycheck. ABC is already planning to cancel it and is working on a replacement. By Christmas, this show will be dead and buried. Goodman,  Gilbert and Metcalf will go on to much more creative and rewarding work. The others will fade until the what ever became of shows. The fact that they are already stunt casting guest stars indicates the premise and characters are a bore.

• Love 3
22 minutes ago, LucyEth said:

I will watch tonight out of curiosity about how they deal with Roseanne being gone but will not continue to watch the series.  Darlene and her kids are boring and I don't think the cast can carry a show on their own.  It's only 10 episodes anyway

I agree. Same here regarding the curiosity factor. I wonder if they will have characters like Bev, Crystal, etc. on this "version" of Roseanne. I'm sorry - you can call it The Connors all you want, but it will always be Roseanne to most people. Like the actress or not, like her actions or not, the tweet in question was not Roseanne Connor's actions. There are all kinds of actors/actresses who I think are idiots, shit-disturbers and just plain jerks - and those with whom I do not agree politically, socially, or in any way really, but I still watch their movies & tv shows because I'm not watching "them" - I'm watching someone they PRETEND to be. I know there are bunches that will belittle me for feeling this way, but I really think there are a lot of double-standards in the entertainment business these days (and probably bygone days too - we just hear about it all now with social media). 

• Love 3
2 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

John Goodman was doing feature films and Laurie Metcalf was on Broadway.

And Sara's on TV everyday. I don't know why RB is pissed about dying from pills. It happens every single day and just gets worse. She had a stash or 5 and was supplementing from the street. All signs were pointing in that direction.

• Love 13
On 10/9/2018 at 1:37 PM, peacheslatour said:

Wouldn't it be funny if the Conner's finally all became successful and it turns out that Roseanne was holding them back all along?

I LOVE this idea! It might be a good way for the spin-off to move ahead of the Roseanne drama too. I can totally see this idea being tossed around the writers room!  It's my birthday and I'm so excited for tonight's episode! I'm placing my Birthday Wish on it being awesome! 

• Love 11
15 minutes ago, HadleyFields said:

I LOVE this idea! It might be a good way for the spin-off to move ahead of the Roseanne drama too. I can totally see this idea being tossed around the writers room!  It's my birthday and I'm so excited for tonight's episode! I'm placing my Birthday Wish on it being awesome! 

Happy Birthday, HadleyFields!

• Love 3

This isn’t a TV show, it’s a money grab. The actors were already signed for the second season so ABC wanted to get their money’s worth. The actors will show up for 10 weeks and collect their checks and ABC will run as many ads as is legal and then the show will be shut down. Nobody cares if it’s watched and few will watch it. There won’t be a train wreck, just bored actors shuffling their feet and staring at their watches.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, llewis823 said:

I still watch their movies & tv shows because I'm not watching "them" - I'm watching someone they PRETEND to be..

Problem is, in this case, the actor and the character were one and the same. So it's harder for some to make that separation. 

Anywho, I'll be watching-regardless of how well or not this show does in general, I'm curious to see how they handle everything. I do wish the show luck, though. 

• Love 4
1 minute ago, Annber03 said:

I'm curious to see how they handle everything. I do wish the show luck, though. 

Yeah I'm giving this show a chance.  I doubt I'm the only one who wouldn't watch with Roseanne Barr but will give The Conners a try

• Love 6

I'm on Concerned's side in this one folks.

Honestly? After the inaugural season return, I wasn't that impressed. It was dry, plodding, boring, shitty acting all the way around except for Roseanne and the original cast (anne marie, chuck, etc.) Otherwise it was awful. I'm a loyal fan so I figured I'd give it another season to get on its feet. Then they killed her. 

Tell the truth, have ANY of you rewatched that season? And can we PLEASE leave her politics OUT of it for a second? Let's just talk about the SHOW. And in the show, shitty as it was, dry as it was, she was the center, the catalyst, the one that kept it going.

Without that? I don't think Darlene can do it. I KNOW Jackie can't. DAN could, but for some ungodly reason they seem determined to leave him as a background character. The kids can't ACT and they're not likeable, let alone loveable. I only in the reboot liked David, Dan and Anne Marie and Chuck. The rest were just God Awful.

Let's face it. WITH OR WITHOUT HER, this show SUCKS. Let's just say it already....I'm gonna watch cause I'm curious. But I'm not holding my breath that this season, without Roseanne to bitch about, is gonna be any better. Without her, the rest have to actually ACT.

AND THEY CAN'T (DJ...dude....)

Here's a review from one of the news agencies that got to screen the first two or three episodes a few weeks ago:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/arts/television/article-without-roseanne-barr-the-conners-is-just-a-lacklustre-family-sitcom/

• Love 3

I only in the reboot liked David, Dan and Anne Marie and Chuck. The rest were just God Awful.

Yeah I don't think anyone is expecting Masterpiece Theatre here.  I've been told by others  that they felt Darlene and Becky were quite good.  I hope so because if not the show is doomed.  And while I do agree with the general sentiment that Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman are awesome actors they're really going to have to bring their A game for this show to work.  That said the acting isn't my big concern, it's the writing.  The writing staff have a pretty tough task and it's going to be interesting to see how they tackle it.  

Edited by CherryAmes
  • Love 8
34 minutes ago, CherryAmes said:

Yeah I don't think anyone is expecting Masterpiece Theatre here.  I've been told by others  that they felt Darlene and Becky were quite good.  I hope so because if not the show is doomed.  And while I do agree with the general sentiment that Laurie Metcalf and John Goodman are awesome actors they're really going to have to bring their A game for this show to work.  That said the acting isn't my big concern, it's the writing.  The writing staff have a pretty tough task and it's going to be interesting to see how they tackle it.  

Agree 100%.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, Concerned said:

. ABC is already planning to cancel it and is working on a replacement. By Christmas, this show will be dead and buried.

7 hours ago, Concerned said:

The actors will show up for 10 weeks and collect their checks and ABC will run as many ads as is legal and then the show will be shut dow

Just curious...where are you getting your information from? You seem to be confident on what ABC is planning to do with the show and I was just wondering if you could share the source?

• Love 6
On 9/19/2018 at 11:56 AM, Sakura12 said:

Why couldn't they just go with her dying during her knee surgery she was getting in finale? All surgery has risks. I don't think they really showed enough of her drug use to go with she Od'ed. 

The thing about ODs and drug use is that it can happen seemingly out of nowhere. Especially with opioids/pain meds. 

• Love 7
10 hours ago, AgentRXS said:

Just curious...where are you getting your information from? You seem to be confident on what ABC is planning to do with the show and I was just wondering if you could share the source?

All the Boycott The Connors people are assuming this is an evil liberal money grab by disloyal no talent frauds.  Some are using the fact that the show is 33% down from the original Roseanne revival (which is true) but fail to also admit it is up 22% from critical and fan darling This is Us.  It is also going up against NCIS.  My guess it will make up a few points on DVR watch but no one ever expected it to do as well as the Roseanne remake but if it keeps doing as well as it is doing it isn’t in danger of failing. 

• Love 13

Wasn't it also on par with the finale? Which to me shows the people that stuck with it the first time came back for this show.

No one expected the same numbers from the Roseanne premiere, they were off the air for 20 years and people were curious. They didn't even keep those numbers it dropped viewers like every other show.

The Connor's premiered well for a reboot of a reboot. 

• Love 11

They are not cancelling it mid-season, lol. It will at the very least do its run of 10(?) episodes. No one seems to be clear yet on whether this is intended as a one-time farewell bow to end it on their own terms or something long-running. It is entirely possible the senior cast could want the former and the network the latter, but I think it is most likely what it appears to be: An attempt to continue the revival indefinitely. Will it accomplish that, I don't know. I think it has a pretty good shot at renewal as of this morning. Few network shows have the deep talent bench, longtime audience goodwill and viewing interest (via both controversy and history) of The Conners.

• Love 8

Is Lecy Goranson Pregnant?????

The Becky Character wore layers upon layers. Never just a shirt, but a shirt with another shirt over it, and when she crossed her arms........

They did all the typical "hiding the belly" shots on her last night.

Hmmmm

• Love 4

If Geena is going to be around (they're using the actor in a lot of promotion, so I suspect she will), then it could be her; she got pregnant while home on bereavement leave in episode one, and thus can't remain on her overseas assignment.

They threw in the "my boyfriend" line for Becky, so it could still be her (she was my original guess), but I'm so hoping it's not her or Darlene that now I'm keeping my fingers crossed it's Geena.  (I wish they'd skip the whole thing, but that ship has sailed.)

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 3
6 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

Where did you read E2 description? I would love to read it.

Aw man, the description was on TV Guide earlier today, and I thought about pasting it here. Of course it's been removed since then.

Something about Geena getting upset that Mary hasn't been going to church while she was gone, and Mary doesn't want to go without her cousins.

• Love 1

The original 2nd episode is called "The Separation of Church and Dan".  I wonder if they thought the Johnny Galecki episode was a better draw, all things considered. 

When Geena learns that D.J. hasn’t been taking Mary to church, she insists they go as a family. Mark’s attempt to conduct an unbiased survey on the upcoming election for his school project goes south when Jackie volunteers to help.

• Love 1
10 minutes ago, Zoe said:

Something about Geena getting upset that Mary hasn't been going to church while she was gone, and Mary doesn't want to go without her cousins.

4 minutes ago, tessaray said:

When Geena learns that D.J. hasn’t been taking Mary to church, she insists they go as a family.

This episode is going to determine how I feel about Gina - I liked her "Yes, I could have" snark to D.J. when he said she could have warned him the couch was wet, but she can miss me with her "pick up a Bible/you're all going to hell" talk.  So how she handles this church thing will be a big one -- is it the former, where she wants her daughter to come to church with her when she's home, Mary asks others to come with her and they agree, or is it the latter description, where Geena is demanding people who don't want to go attend anyway?

• Love 5
1 minute ago, Bastet said:

This episode is going to determine how I feel about Gina - I liked her "Yes, I could have" snark to D.J. when he said she could have warned him the couch was wet, but she can miss me with her "pick up a Bible/you're all going to hell" talk.  So how she handles this church thing will be a big one -- is it the former, where she wants her daughter to come to church with her when she's home, Mary asks others to come with her and they agree, or is it the latter description, where Geena is demanding people who don't want to go attend anyway?

Remember that episode of the Simpsons where Marge forces her husband and children to attend church in the middle of a freaking blizzard? 

• Love 3

No, I don't watch The Simpsons, but it would annoy me in anyone.

We'll see how this plays out, but the odds of it unfolding in a way that doesn't sour me on Geena are pretty low.  Which will be a bit of a bummer, since the girl D.J. wouldn't stage kiss because she's black winding up the woman he married tickles me.

The episode when D.J. started getting interested in religion contained some hilarious lines (that entire "what religion are we ... we're good people/yeah, but not practicing" conversation is gold), so Dan wanting no part of this shit will probably be funny yet again, at least.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 4

Some of the stills floating around showed all the Conners at church and DJ giving Darlene a bear hug (like she had just agreed to go with them, though that's just my interpretation).  Did the original show ever have them at church?  I missed big chunks back then. 

I wonder if they are trying to substitute religion for politics, since one of the other taglines for the new show was about in-law problems. I guess if Geena's parents are religious in the traditional sense, it could be a source of conflict?   

• Love 1
1 hour ago, tessaray said:

Did the original show ever have them at church?

No (except D.J. during his phase - which apparently lasted - and when they were in Ed and Crystal's wedding [no one else got married in a church]).  Darlene and Bev didn't believe in any god, Roseanne believed in a higher power of some sort but was not involved in any organized religion, and Dan was the same - he had a talk with his god while in the hospital after his heart attack, but had no use for religion as a whole.  (Which is why Roseanne praying at the dinner table in the revival premiere was so out of left field.)

This was the great conversation when they found out D.J. was sneaking around to go to church; he says he went because he had questions about "god and stuff," and Roseanne tells him he should have come to them, since there's no one better to answer his questions:

D.J.: Okay.  What religion are we?
Roseanne: I have no idea.  Dan?
Dan: Well, my family is Pentecostal on my mom's side and Baptist on my dad's. Your Mom's mom is Lutheran and her dad was Jewish.
D.J.: So what do we believe?
Roseanne: Well, we believe in, uh, being good.  So, basically, we're Good People.
Dan: Yeah, but we're not practicing.

Edited by Bastet
  • Love 12
9 hours ago, Zoe said:

Based on the E2 description (not the one actually airing next week with Blue), it looks like Geena's religion isn't just a throwaway line.

Are they switching the eps?  I thought the ep with Blue was going to air in November?

On 10/16/2018 at 12:17 PM, FairyDusted said:

I don't know why RB is pissed about dying from pills. It happens every single day and just gets worse. She had a stash or 5 and was supplementing from the street. All signs were pointing in that direction.

Also, and I know it wasn't pills (but still an opiate and in the same family of narcotics as far as I know), but Glenn Quinn died of a heroin overdose so I'm surprised that she's so offended that they had her die this way.  I mean I guess I understand that she's just lashing out at whatever she can, but she used to be all about representing real America, and this is it.  And it already hit the cast close to home when Glenn died. 

• Love 7
44 minutes ago, BeachDays said:

Are they switching the eps?  I thought the ep with Blue was going to air in November?

It seems like they shuffled things and moved David's episode up in the schedule. The Geena episode will likely air fourth unless they push it way back.

• Love 1

Yeah, the Blue episode was for November sweeps.  The B plot of the church episode has Mark doing a survey about the election, which won't make sense if they push it out past that.  Now I'm more interested in seeing why they moved it out. 

• Love 4

I could see Harris being pregnant but I feel like that is so similar to Darlene... who got pregnant at 19, even though the reboot made her daughter way younger than she was supposed to be!  But yeah it could really be anyone within the teenage to mid-40s age range.  

• Love 1

Partisan political discussion is prohibited on PTV. (Please see this post in our FAQ.) Limited discussion of politics as used in an episode is acceptable.

This topic is for speculation on The Conners upcoming episodes and The Conners lack of political content is off-topic.  Posts attempting to start political discussions will be removed and may lead to warnings or other consequences.  

• Love 4