Type keyword(s) to search

Wedding Cake Championship - General Discussion

• Start Topic

I am re-posting this from the Genre Talk  Cooking thread....

I watched Wedding Cake Championship and it wasn't as bad as I was expecting! I really liked both the cake topper and cake that the winning team made. I picked their topper from the get go....loved the cake on the hanger in the arbor! I know that I would never choose a Super Hero cake but since that is what the couple wanted, they seemed to get what they desired! I had to laugh when the judges didn't like the flavor/texture of the winning cake and the groom loved it...guess he is who counts. Felt sorry for the two bottom teams since time seemed to be their downfall...literally in one case. And surprisingly Tara and Johnny were not too over-the-top...well, for Johnny anyway, who is always over-the-top!!!! I will definitely watch this show and since it is only 4 weeks long, it will go quickly!

• Love 6
1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

Felt sorry for the two bottom teams since time seemed to be their downfall...literally in one case.

One team said that the heat of being outside under a tent, and waiting to be judged is what hurt them.  I'm trying to figure out why they decided to do this under these circumstances.  Heat and humidity is not friendly to buttercream icing!

1 hour ago, suebee12 said:

I picked their topper from the get go....loved the cake on the hanger in the arbor!

I figured Randy would love that design.  I did too!  I like things that aren't over the top in terms of decorating a cake.  I especially hate seeing a cake with a lot of fondant cutouts.  A little fondant goes a long way, IMO.  

• Love 4

While I don't think they're going to get really far, I was gobsmacked by the pair that was mother and son! Genetics are in his favor! And they seem to work so sweetly together (no cake pun intended there). I gotta root for the parent/child combo! I can pick a new favorite after their inevitably-telegraphed elimination.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I gotta say that Tara and Johnny are my #BestFriendRelationshipGoals. I suspect people are either love 'em or can't stand 'em and I LOVE 'em.

I’m also in the love them club - I enjoy them at the Olympics and I love them here!

• Love 3
10 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

While I don't think they're going to get really far, I was gobsmacked by the pair that was mother and son! Genetics are in his favor! And they seem to work so sweetly together (no cake pun intended there). I gotta root for the parent/child combo! I can pick a new favorite after their inevitably-telegraphed elimination.

Me too, when they were introduced I spent 5 minutes saying "she's his mother????", she looks just as young as he does.

• Love 2

First of all, LOVE this thread title -- I had a nontiered sheet cake for the Snappy wedding way back in the day and do not recall either having a slice (okay, square) of it but did not get any to take home either. Cake tasting/choosing wasn't a "thing." We just picked the color for the trim.

Little Snappy, on the other hand, has a few cake-tasting appointments set up (she doesn't know if they'll get a cake because it's not going to be THAT big a wedding but I urged her to "enjoy the process" of the planning, so they're going for cake tastings, wine tastings, and food tastings at several venues! Hope to have a "winner" by the end of July.)

I am really, really enjoying this show (and a few similar ones such as Extreme Cake Makers which I think is on Cooking Channel ... just saw it for the first time last night) because it's just really cool to watch the creative process in action. 

• Love 3
5 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

First of all, LOVE this thread title -- I had a nontiered sheet cake for the Snappy wedding way back in the day and do not recall either having a slice (okay, square) of it but did not get any to take home either. Cake tasting/choosing wasn't a "thing." We just picked the color for the trim.

Little Snappy, on the other hand, has a few cake-tasting appointments set up (she doesn't know if they'll get a cake because it's not going to be THAT big a wedding but I urged her to "enjoy the process" of the planning, so they're going for cake tastings, wine tastings, and food tastings at several venues! Hope to have a "winner" by the end of July.)

I am really, really enjoying this show (and a few similar ones such as Extreme Cake Makers which I think is on Cooking Channel ... just saw it for the first time last night) because it's just really cool to watch the creative process in action. 

Awww, thanks.  I asked for the forum and made the titles!  I am glad you liked it.  I did not do a cake tasting either.  My fiance and I were paying for our wedding, so I used my friend's Aunt, who could bake and design a pretty tiered cake, and could use the "roman columns" I wanted, therefore I did not care what the heck the cake tasted like!!  Thankfully, it was as tasty as it was pretty. 

• Love 3
On 7/1/2018 at 2:28 PM, Eliza422 said:

I know I’ve seen the loud mouth team member of Vicki and Riva - probably one of the Baking Championship shows. I disliked her then and I dislike her now!

I've seen her on the Women's Ent. (WE) channel show about specialty cake bakers.  She had a male partner then, and her husband helped as well. 

Amazing Wedding Cakes Baker Profile 

On 7/1/2018 at 7:51 AM, ChitChat said:

One team said that the heat of being outside under a tent, and waiting to be judged is what hurt them.  I'm trying to figure out why they decided to do this under these circumstances.  Heat and humidity is not friendly to buttercream icing!

I figured Randy would love that design.  I did too!  I like things that aren't over the top in terms of decorating a cake.  I especially hate seeing a cake with a lot of fondant cutouts.  A little fondant goes a long way, IMO.  

I may have misheard, but I thought the baker had said the heat from the kitchen, while they were waiting outside did them in, meaning they were waiting outside the room to come in and be judged.  Sounds like a tough situation, regardless.  I am lucky I can plate my two-tiered Betty Crocker without injury!

• Love 4

I recognized Stephen and his partner right away.  They were on Cake Wars at least once.  I also knew Holly as soon as I saw her but not from where.  I think she may have been on one of those Christmas cookie shows but I'm not sure.

• Love 1
1 hour ago, Maccagirl said:

I may have misheard, but I thought the baker had said the heat from the kitchen, while they were waiting outside did them in, meaning they were waiting outside the room to come in and be judged. 

You're probably right.  I probably misheard it myself!  That's the one thing with all of these baking shows that can be a disadvantage, and that's how long they have to wait for their food to be judged.  Some of it doesn't seem like it would sit well if not in the right environment.  We know how different temps can affect buttercream frosting!  

Good job on the forum titles, Maccagirl!  I was hoping to see  this show get it's own forum.  

Has anybody tried to make buttercream frosting the way one of the team's did with the boiling water?  I haven't heard of doing it that way, but I would think that would make the frosting super smooth since the confectioner's sugar is dissolved really well.  

• Love 3

Just watched the first episode, and I really enjoyed it, to my surprise. Johnny can be a lot, but he was just right here. He and Tara are cute. I like the judges as well. And I thought maybe I was getting a little tired of these shows, because even though Best Baker in America had such great contestants, I just wasn't that excited about it. But this was really fun and entertaining.

I also have to say I love the thread titles, @Maccagirl, and I don't think I've ever said that before!

• Love 4

What I like about this particular show is that the bakers have to make something for people other than the judges.  It's nice for them to have a couple who are letting them know what they're looking for in a cake, so it's not ultimately up to the judges, but the wishes of the couple plays a big role.  

The winning cake and runner-up cake were both beautifully decorated.  Kudos to those teams on a job well done!

• Love 5

This show is an odd mash up of Cake Wars and the GBBS........................ and it's working.  I'm really enjoying it.  Johnny and Tara are doing a good job as quirky hosts without overdoing it and the judges have legit credentials so I'm happy.  I wish it was going to run more than four episodes.

• Love 8

Is it just me, or did all the cakes look ready to topple over tonight? They were all tilting to the side, they must have all been melting.

• Love 5
(edited)
11 hours ago, tobeannounced said:

I also have to say I love the thread titles, @Maccagirl, and I don't think I've ever said that before!

@tobeannounced: Aww, thanks so much.  It was my first time requesting a forum.  I am so glad the admins act quickly with creating the forums; this show will not be around for long, since the amount of competitive teams is so small.

15 hours ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

I am SO glad you did! I know this is a short-run show but I'm excited about it ... also, I love your screen name :)

@PamelaMaeSnap: Thanks for the kind words; you are too sweet!

Edited by Maccagirl
added member name to reply
  • Love 1

While there is no thread or forum for this and not sure it even "deserves" one, if anyone has even more time on their hands to watch some uh-maaaaaa-zing wedding cake baking/decor with no competition, just imagination, check out Extreme Cake Makers (Bakers?) ... it's based in the UK. While there may be a tiny bit less pure creativity on the design end because they're filling orders for more specific requests, the actual level of workmanship is off the chain.

• Love 4
9 minutes ago, PamelaMaeSnap said:

While there is no thread or forum for this and not sure it even "deserves" one, if anyone has even more time on their hands to watch some uh-maaaaaa-zing wedding cake baking/decor with no competition, just imagination, check out Extreme Cake Makers (Bakers?) ... it's based in the UK. While there may be a tiny bit less pure creativity on the design end because they're filling orders for more specific requests, the actual level of workmanship is off the chain.

FN has Extreme Cake Masters with Duff.  But I thought awhile ago....maybe a year or so....I saw on The Cooking Channel the UK version That one I like because it had more than one cake artist in an episode.

• Love 1

I'm in the minority, sorry. Not fond of this series.  I wanted to see more baking. The first part with them making the toppers, doesn't interest me quite as much. I guess because around here for most wedding cakes the couple has a topper already(or flowers). I get asked for toppers for every other special cake. Destination weddings, I get asked to do the topper, for when they have the reception here.  I also am over FN not supplying them with adequate air conditioning, especially when asking them to make edible cakes/toppers.  Either that, or the whole "melting" is for dramatic purpose. FN has been doing the cake comps for such a long time, the falling apart/melting comes from not enough time for the cake to cool, or the toppers to dry.  Even on BB, it was a wide open room which allows for air circulation.  On this series, all those ovens going in a small space....Sorry, don't mean to be a Debbie Downer, just expected more.    The one good thing is maybe I won't get customers coming in after watching this show, expecting me to whip up one those creations in a day:). 

• Love 3

I never watch any cooking shows or Top Chef or anything like that, and I have never watched anything on the Food Network before. But Tara and Johnny have been promoting this thing on their podcast so I checked it out.

Much to my surprise, I am fascinated by it. It's really amazing to see the elaborate things these people can do in such a short amount of time. You can tell right away that not only are they professionals but they are true artists as well. I'm really bowled over by some of the artwork the taller half of the two-guy team pulls off. 

That said, the competition itself is really kind of . . . stupid. It's not realistic for them to make an elaborate cake in just 2 or 3 hours. It really boils down to who can do the least crappy job in the quickest amount of time. And, who cares? Speed isn't a criteria for a wedding cake. You want it right, not fast. 

• Love 10
23 minutes ago, iMonrey said:

It's not realistic for them to make an elaborate cake in just 2 or 3 hours. It really boils down to who can do the least crappy job in the quickest amount of time. And, who cares? Speed isn't a criteria for a wedding cake. You want it right, not fast. 

Right! That's what I said after the son and mom team exited. You can tell he's a talented cake-maker and decorator. But, he's not really good at these competitions. I believe I saw him on Cake Wars a few years ago... and his nerves got to him there as well. Some people are just not cut-out for competitive cooking/baking. I'm betting when he can take his time he does amazing work. I enjoy the show, but, wish there was a wee bit more baking. Seems rushed.

It cracks me up that Johnny and Tara try to speak in unison.. totally not necessary guys. Lol! 

• Love 3

I didn't understand the mother's reaction when her son's batter started slopping out of his mixer.  She just stood there looking horrified and yelling at him about it.  Wouldn't the natural response be to run over and turn off the mixer?  

• Love 11
16 minutes ago, mlp said:

I didn't understand the mother's reaction when her son's batter started slopping out of his mixer.  She just stood there looking horrified and yelling at him about it.  Wouldn't the natural response be to run over and turn off the mixer?  

Yep... that's what I would have done. Poor guy... couldn't pull it back together after that. Maybe he should bring a professional assistant with him next time... one who knows how to turn off a mixer. So much batter was wasted while she was calling him over to fix it. But, man would I love to taste that sweet-potato cake. Sounded tasty.

• Love 4
20 hours ago, ChitChat said:

What I like about this particular show is that the bakers have to make something for people other than the judges.  It's nice for them to have a couple who are letting them know what they're looking for in a cake, so it's not ultimately up to the judges, but the wishes of the couple plays a big role.  

The winning cake and runner-up cake were both beautifully decorated.  Kudos to those teams on a job well done!

Honestly, the fact that there's a couple is what's won me over. I find Tara and Johnny annoying, but I like that there's a couple with specifications and reactions. I wish we had more time on the actual baking/decorating, though; it feels very rushed. Maybe I'm just used to the lack of commercials on GBBS, though.

• Love 2

I should have added that, in addition to getting a kick out of Johnny's shtick, I respect him for his accomplishments.  From what I've read about him, I gather that he's very bright.  He spent years in a difficult, highly competitive field that requires constant training, practice and self-discipline.  And he seems like a genuinely nice person.

• Love 3

Thee is no such thing as too much Johnny and Tara.  They are the reasons I tuned in to this show.  Johnny's coach was Russian and he's fluent in that language. 

I also like David Tutera, but I suspect I'm the only one.  Nobody on these forums caught his show.  Even *I* couldn't remember to watch him.

I do not like the judge with the nose-piercing.

• Love 3

I was checking out departed-Van's bakery site and it is AMAZEBALLS! It seems his mom is more the business partner and the person who runs the biz side and he's the chef, decorator, creative talent ... and both the creations shown on the site and the flavor choices both had me wishing they were closer to ONE of the two "wedding celebration" sites upcoming in our family but, sadly, not quite close enough (we are making a day trip to the area next month though and now I'm wondering if I can buy a wedding snack cake?)

• Love 3
On 7/1/2018 at 1:28 PM, Eliza422 said:

I know I’ve seen the loud mouth team member of Vicki and Riva - probably one of the Baking Championship shows. I disliked her then and I dislike her now!

Yea, Riva's been on a lot of shows.  She was last on the Halloween Wars, where it all took place outside.

• Love 2

All of the teams have very impressive looking portfolios, so I think it would be interesting if they had a more realistic amount of time to design and create an elaborate wedding cake. I don't know how long it would take them to make something under ordinary circumstances, I believe Tara said sometimes two or three days. I get that wouldn't be practical for the sake of the show, but since each episode takes place on a different day (or so they would have us believe), I assume they could have at least the whole day. What's the point of seeing who can do the best job in 2 hours? When is anyone ever going to order a wedding cake 2 hours before the wedding? 

• Love 8
On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 11:57 AM, penbrat said:

I guess I am in the minority.  I don't find Johnny and Tara nearly as entertaining as they seem to find themselves.

Me as well.  I was a figure skating junkie for a long time, and I liked Johnny as a skater, but he's too snarky for my taste as an announcer.  I do like Tara.

On 7/5/2018 at 3:16 PM, iMonrey said:

All of the teams have very impressive looking portfolios, so I think it would be interesting if they had a more realistic amount of time to design and create an elaborate wedding cake. I don't know how long it would take them to make something under ordinary circumstances, I believe Tara said sometimes two or three days. I get that wouldn't be practical for the sake of the show, but since each episode takes place on a different day (or so they would have us believe), I assume they could have at least the whole day. What's the point of seeing who can do the best job in 2 hours? When is anyone ever going to order a wedding cake 2 hours before the wedding? 

Remember the old days of the Food Network.... where they did just that? Four highly trained and professional teams (2-to 4 folks per team), creating magnificent show pieces, in front of a live audience. I think it was part of a Disney attraction. They got 8 hours to complete a small challenge that took an hour or two... and then a bigger challenge that took 5 or more hours. Now, personally I can't imagine sitting in a studio for 8 hours watching folks put together cakes and sugar sculptures. But, it sure was fun watching it on TV.  

• Love 4
4 hours ago, 40Love said:

Remember the old days of the Food Network.... where they did just that? Four highly trained and professional teams (2-to 4 folks per team), creating magnificent show pieces, in front of a live audience. I think it was part of a Disney attraction. They got 8 hours to complete a small challenge that took an hour or two... and then a bigger challenge that took 5 or more hours. Now, personally I can't imagine sitting in a studio for 8 hours watching folks put together cakes and sugar sculptures. But, it sure was fun watching it on TV.  

The best thing about the old challenge shows (other than Kari Vincent as a judge!) was that the cakes were premade...that makes such a big difference when stacking and sculpting cakes. 

• Love 11
7 hours ago, funky-rat said:
On 7/5/2018 at 11:57 AM, penbrat said:

I guess I am in the minority.  I don't find Johnny and Tara nearly as entertaining as they seem to find themselves.

Me as well.  I was a figure skating junkie for a long time, and I liked Johnny as a skater, but he's too snarky for my taste as an announcer.  I do like Tara.

Agreed. I am watching despite them not because of them.

• Love 1
On 7/2/2018 at 4:09 PM, mlp said:

I like them too.  Johnny is just unapologetically OTT and I get a huge kick out of him.  

I love them too but I have not watched this show.  Johnny Weir is such a hoot!!!

On 7/3/2018 at 12:22 PM, iMonrey said:

That said, the competition itself is really kind of . . . stupid. It's not realistic for them to make an elaborate cake in just 2 or 3 hours. It really boils down to who can do the least crappy job in the quickest amount of time. And, who cares? Speed isn't a criteria for a wedding cake. You want it right, not fast. 

I agree.  A wedding cake needs time and patience.  You nailed it when you said this comp is about who can do the least crappy job.

• Love 2

There are two comps going on here, I think.  One is taste, while can make a tasty cake with interesting combinations and two, who can sculpt a beautiful cake.  Both criteria in two hours is a ridiculous task.  

I'd rather have a plainer cake that tastes amazing.  Not that, as a real life bride, you should have to choose.  A real life bride wouldn't have a cake that was made in two hours, unless there was a disaster at the bakery.

However, I enjoy these shows.  I thought the son and mom team had great flavor combos, they just couldn't get the decoration done in time.

One other point, don't these cakes seem more like groom's cakes?  I mean, the wedding cake is tall, usually mainly white, with elaborate work.  The groom's cakes are more fanciful, like the themes we've seen the last two weeks.

• Love 3

These two are a microcosm of everything the Food Network has become.  Take two people with zero food authority (ha), let them host a show, and CAMP IT THE HELL UP TO EIGHTY.

The show itself is forgettable, but these two make it intolerable.

• Love 8

I had no idea the Indian judge (I forget her name) from Chopped was a pastry chef.  I like her.  She has a nice, calm demeanor.

Tara and Johnny were subdued the first episode, a little more extra the second but still not climbing on my nerves.

• Love 1
(edited)

Ok this is driving me nuts. Holly (of Holly and Kaylinn) looks so familiar, but I can't even find out her last name from the Food Network website so that I can figure out why! Anyone out there know who she is and whether there's a good reason she looks familiar to me? 

ETA: Ok Googling "Holly Cakes Las Vegas" led me to Holly Webster. Has she been on FN before?

ETA (Again): Yes Christmas Cookie Challenge.

Edited by dleighg
  • Love 3