Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out in the Garage

• Start Topic

I know some hate hearing of the virus still being around. But to all of you on the forum please take care of yourselves. I caught covid at work  and came out positive on Saturday. 7 day quarantine so I’m probably going to binge the original show or write fanfics, or draw the characters as cats.

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 6

https://archiveofourown.org/works/32726650

Since I know some of us are just majorly disappointed by the conners and the not feeling like the original show. The link is for the season 9 Ret-Con fic basically if season 9 wasn’t all that silly was still grounded and not over the top. And it has Molly as a character. Development for the family and great moments for the couples. And DJ development plus Geena and a look at their relationship as teens

• Useful 2
57 minutes ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

https://archiveofourown.org/works/32726650

Since I know some of us are just majorly disappointed by the conners and the not feeling like the original show. The link is for the season 9 Ret-Con fic basically if season 9 wasn’t all that silly was still grounded and not over the top. And it has Molly as a character. Development for the family and great moments for the couples. And DJ development plus Geena and a look at their relationship as teens

That's really good! I wish it had gone that way.

• Love 2
16 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

That's really good! I wish it had gone that way.

Yeah I actually go back and re-read the fic a couple of times because it makes me forget about the conners and makes me remember when the family was family.

it really is telling when fanfic writers write better and are able to keep the characters in character 

• Love 2
28 minutes ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Yeah I actually go back and re-read the fic a couple of times because it makes me forget about the conners and makes me remember when the family was family.

it really is telling when fanfic writers write better and are able to keep the characters in character 

And they do it for free.

• Love 2
5 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

And they do it for free.

Yes the only thing we fanfic authors ask for in return is comments. And letting  us know we are doing a good job. Because it gives authors motivation to write knowing that there are people who enjoy their writing.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

Yes the only thing we fanfic authors ask for in return is comments. And letting  us know we are doing a good job. Because it gives authors motivation to write knowing that there are people who enjoy their writing.

You should send some of your stuff to the networks and streaming companies. Do you have an agent?

• Like 1
  • Useful 1
  • Love 1
3 minutes ago, peacheslatour said:

You should send some of your stuff to the networks and streaming companies. Do you have an agent?

Oh no, I’m just a college student who writes fics as a hobby and because I want to write for my favorite couples and shows and cause it’s like a stress relief for me because of the college workload and anxiety I have obtained.

Writing is like a hobby for me I’m more into the visual side of art. Drawing, painting all that stuff.

• Love 5

Okay so we all know the show has huge issues with continuity from the original erasing a lot of stuff. To shed light on this problem both Bruce helford and Brue Rasmussen worked on Roseanne season 5 Helford shownrunner while Rasmussen only ever wrote one episode for season 5. Dave Caplan worked on season 3 and only ever wrote one episode. None of these three guys were ever apart of the production past season 5

• Useful 2
On 2/4/2022 at 11:18 PM, Rocknrollzombie said:

Look we all have our opinions on Roseanne but how some want to discredit her for the original show and think the news show is true canon is bs

F47DB9AE-5B03-4AA6-9266-D269820F7C96.jpeg

Yeah, that's garbage. If anything, it's the other way around. 

I watch reruns of Rosanne over and over because the early seasons are realistic and there's a warmth to them. It's like a real life family with love, pettiness, and all. 

Even that one season with Rosanne in new show was better than this incarnation. I understand why she was fired, but did they have to let go of the writing too?

With me, the new show is one viewing per episode and done. Characters are over the top and not themselves. They are fighting and depressed and the next episode, they are happy even though noting is resolved. What happened to the mortgage; are they ok now? Missing characters, and I don't just mean Jerry Garcia and Andy. Where's Emilio and this immigration status? Where's DJ's wife who was supposed to leave the service? Where's Crystal and her children (Dan's siblings?), Did David abandon them again? And so many more.

• Love 6
2 hours ago, Snow Apple said:

Yeah, that's garbage. If anything, it's the other way around. 

I watch reruns of Rosanne over and over because the early seasons are realistic and there's a warmth to them. It's like a real life family with love, pettiness, and all. 

Even that one season with Rosanne in new show was better than this incarnation. I understand why she was fired, but did they have to let go of the writing too?

With me, the new show is one viewing per episode and done. Characters are over the top and not themselves. They are fighting and depressed and the next episode, they are happy even though noting is resolved. What happened to the mortgage; are they ok now?

Yesterday someone on Reddit actually asked for any suggestions on shows they could watch instead of the conners during the time slot because they are just done with the show.

And the sub Reddit for the show usually praises it like no tomorrow and if you say it sucks people tell you to F off, get downvoted to hell, throw yourself into a wood chipper. Just get really vulgar or violent with the insults all because people point out the bad writings, the retcons just everything wrong and when people suggest oh they could have done this instead with the characters stayed true to the original characteristics.

the Reddit Conner hive mind “what they are doing with the characters is very realistic have you never watched the original…,” blah blah blah like dam.

The fandom is like divided one part of the fandom remember the original and the characters how they actually were while the other half I guess I want to say brainwashed by the conners version rewrite the original history to fit that narrative or whatever narrative they have in their head because they hated the original or they hated a certain character.

It’s gotten to the point were I mean David and Mark are the prime examples of this hatred towards them as characters and sometimes going past character and towards Johnny but especially Glenn. Where you even mention David or Mark in a positive aspect someone will immediately reply to you with “oh they did this they did that they are horrible people they were losers. I’m glad this and that were said about them in the conners.” Like I got told by someone to get help with my ‘issues’ because I defended Mark and was in their opinion getting mad over a fictional character. Like this isn’t my first time in a fandom with people telling others to get help for liking a character and that’s where the toxicity in fandoms start to grow and fester. And it’s sad to that happen to this fandom for Roseanne.

• Love 2

Where you even mention David or Mark in a positive aspect someone will immediately reply to you with “oh they did this they did that they are horrible people they were losers. I’m glad this and that were said about them in the conners.” 

I think David was a way worse person than Mark. Mark was hardworking, honest and had a lot of mechanical talent. David was basically a mooch and a bore.

• Like 1
  • Love 3
(edited)
20 minutes ago, januaryman said:

I guess Mary goes back into hiding now that Mark is back - only one kid allowed on the show a week?

Go ahead, Ben and marry bossy, unpleasant and unappealing Darlene. I won't be sticking around to see that after this season wraps, especially if The Wonder Years gets squeezed off the schedule for this tired show.

I’m glad abott elementary got renewed but now I’m just worried for Home Economics that is the only show I watch and sadly that one might be very much on the chop block for ABC  same as the wonder years, but the conners just won’t die apparently. Same with Goldbergs I saw someone in the posts for the Goldberg’s that them getting a season 10 is just god punishing at that point. 

good shows have gone but these two just won’t go silently away.

• Love 1