Type keyword(s) to search

Small Talk: Out in the Garage

• Start Topic

The Small Talk topic is for:

•   Introductions

•   Off-topic chatter

•   Having virtual tea with forum buddies

This is NOT a topic for actual show discussion. When you want to talk about the show:

1 Figure out the nature of the topic you want to talk about

2 Look for an existing topic that matches or fits

3 If there is NOT an existing topic that fits, CREATE ONE!

Examples of topics that populate show forums include (but by no means are limited to):

•   Character topics

•   Episode topics

•   Season topics

•   Spoiler topics

•   Speculation topics

•   In the Media topics

•   Favourite X topics

•   ...you get the idea

Happy trails beyond Small Talk!

Speaking of Christmas Vacation, shame we can't get Ellen Hamilton Latzen to play a not-Ruby Sue character. The Conners could use some "Sorry! Shittin' rocks!"

(If you ever get to see Family Ties's "Miracle in Columbus", Latzen steals the show there, too:

[MICHELLE is sitting on Santa's (ALEX P. KEATON) knee at the shopping mall] 

MICHELLE: If you're Santa Claus, why are there so many Santas Clauses at other malls? 

ALEX Well, Michelle, it's like how President Reagan can't be everywhere at once so he sends his assistants out in his place 

MICHELLE: I don't believe in him, either!

• Love 3
On 11/2/2018 at 6:22 AM, CherryAmes said:

They make canned cranberry sauce

Homemade cranberry sauce is the easiest thing EVER!  Boil the berries until mushy, add a pinch of gelatin and store in the fridge.  I usually make one plain, and one with chopped apples and nuts.

• Love 2
8 minutes ago, ThatsDarling said:

Live action sitcoms also tend to have a significantly less grueling production schedule than, say, a single-camera series. 

Yep; other than commercials, it's the easiest on-camera money in the business.  (And, yes, of course, they care about these characters and each other, and are happy to be back telling these stories again, too.) 

• Love 6
10 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

No sugar?

We use Splenda.  (I don't know how I forgot that!)

1 hour ago, ThatsDarling said:

Live action sitcoms also tend to have a significantly less grueling production schedule than, say, a single-camera series. 

1 hour ago, Bastet said:

Yep; other than commercials, it's the easiest on-camera money in the business.

Voice-over has to be up there, too.

• Love 1
On 11/3/2018 at 10:48 AM, BeachDays said:

I am going to the taping of The Conners this week and I was wondering if anyone had any advice who has gone before.   How early should I get there?   Is it pretty cold in the studio?  Thanks! 

That's great! I hope you have a good seat. I haven't been to ABC but I have been in other tapings. Yup it's chilly. Those stage lights light the actors on fire so AC is full tilt. A nice sweater or blazer and you are golden ! Let us know how fun it was! 

• Love 4

I thought I would bring this here:

So, who else doesn't like that many of the show forums are being turned into a single threads for "Other X Shows" forums? While I understand the approach on paper, it's a mess with all those show threads crammed into a single forum. If the forums were dead before, I highly doubt this would change anything, with some show threads being buried to the bottom on the forum and everything. Plus, some of those dead forums had thousands of posts and many threads before.

I'm pretty sure this forum is safe, at least.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 6

Rest assured we all are having to adjust.  It's going to be a trying experience until the new version of the PTV forum is up and running.  

Just to clarify, I don't believe any forum with thousands of posts will be deleted. If such a forum hasn't had many posts in a couple of years, then it will be archived (vaulted) and a new topic created for any posts going forward. Which makes sense, the old posts are available for new users to read and reference but any ongoing conversation will be in the new thread.  If it has a lot fewer posts, then yes, they will all be merged into a topic going forward.  (Some users may have already experienced this when episode threads get merged into an all episodes discussion topic due to low volume in a forum.) Some low volume forums have been deleted though, especially ones that haven't had any posts in over a year.     

In a month or two, a lot of the changes will make more sense with the new forum layout.  

I will make a pitch for the changes, though.  Before the re-org started, PTV had over 2400 shows, with more requested every day. This has really strained the limits of the forum software - so some updates have to be done.  But the new forum will have some nifty features that I know will be popular. And we can't get there from here, without a little pain. 

TL;DR - Yeah, changes suck but sometimes it's unavoidable.    

• Love 6

Yeah, I know that about the Vault forums. I still don't like the idea of some of these forums being converted into a single thread, particularly ones that had a lot of threads, like the parent show of this, Roseanne. Just too crammy and confusing with all the threads merged together, really. The really small ones with under 100 posts, I can understand, but that's it. Us as a community should at least have a say in what forums should stay.

Edited by Lili
  • Love 3

@Lili -  the vaulted Roseanne show still has all its original threads intact.  Going forward any discussion of Roseanne: TOS will be in one topic.  The reason for that is the lack of traffic the old forum had.  It's possible that once the memory of Roseanne's issues faded, traffic might have resumed to pre-revival levels and spared it the vault, but we'll never know for sure. 

Once the transition is complete and we all get settled in, it's possible that some forums that are now topics may be converted to full forums, if they are popular enough.  We've been told that it will be a two way street.  Forums that are popular now may someday get the vault/single topic treatment and singles may get expanded.  I don't know if Roseanne will ever again be one of those but stranger things have happened.   

I think the 2 tiered system is kind of weird myself but there is a logic behind it on the software level.  The merging discussions into one... well, it's not ideal in a lot of cases.  I agree with you there but it is what it is.  

• Love 3

I find it funny that people don’t bat an eyelash that Dan is alive and well in this reboot, but can’t fathom that Andy doesn’t exist! 🤣

On 11/28/2019 at 2:44 AM, femmefan1946 said:

When DD was 16, her boyfriend (15) and his sister (17) lived in a very high end condo, owned by their parents. The parents had built their dream home near a ski hill, 40km outside of the city, but wanted the kids to stay in their school, which was two blocks from the condo.
Totally selfish. And yes, the kids turned out badly.

Fortunately, DD is very tight with money and we had told her that if she could honestly tell us she hadn't smoked tobacco by the time she was 16, we would give her $1000. BF decided a girlfriend who wouldn't do drugs with him was boring, so the relationship was over after a few months.

DD put the money into her university savings account.

I actually think one reason they got away with effectively abandoning the kids was that it was an expensive building and the neighbours didn't pay much attention to each other. Social workers don't often get involved with rich families.

Wait—I’m confused. She just had to adhere to a “no tobacco” policy?? Were drugs, sex, etc not part of the deal?? 

Also: I absolutely would have lied to my parents to collect $1k when I was a teen. 

On 11/28/2019 at 2:44 AM, femmefan1946 said:
  • Love 3
On 12/2/2019 at 5:06 AM, Duke2801 said:

Wait—I’m confused. She just had to adhere to a “no tobacco” policy?? Were drugs, sex, etc not part of the deal?? 

I'm of the opinion that the entryway to "drugs" is tobacco. If you are under 18 you are buying tobacco illegally. It's very difficult to smoke marijuana, if you haven't 'trained" on cooler tobacco smoke. And if you are hanging around with the smoking crowd, you are also hanging with the drugs and party crowd.

Twenty years later, it looks like the deaths and illnesses from vaping are mostly from illegally produced marijuana made with the same chemical that produces "popcorn lung". Again, start with tobacco, move to weed.

Neither her parents nor her caretaker (we both worked) used tobacco, so she wasn't exposed at home. She was already an active feminist and participated in peer to peer programs with Planned Parenthood. So we were not worried about and unwanted pregnancy. She is now a sexual health educator.

• Useful 1
On 12/5/2019 at 12:32 AM, femmefan1946 said:

I'm of the opinion that the entryway to "drugs" is tobacco. If you are under 18 you are buying tobacco illegally. It's very difficult to smoke marijuana, if you haven't 'trained" on cooler tobacco smoke. And if you are hanging around with the smoking crowd, you are also hanging with the drugs and party crowd.

Twenty years later, it looks like the deaths and illnesses from vaping are mostly from illegally produced marijuana made with the same chemical that produces "popcorn lung". Again, start with tobacco, move to weed.

Neither her parents nor her caretaker (we both worked) used tobacco, so she wasn't exposed at home. She was already an active feminist and participated in peer to peer programs with Planned Parenthood. So we were not worried about and unwanted pregnancy. She is now a sexual health educator.

My husband is a tobacco smoker and has never smoked a joint or taken anything harder than aspirin. I smoke marijuana on occasion but have never even held a cigerette.  No training involved.

• Love 5
1 minute ago, chediavolo said:

Maybe we will be seeing more of Katey on this show since Rebel has been cancelled.   

Well I'm pretty she'll be back for season 4, (just how many episodes I don't know) but us Rebel fans aren't taking the cancellation lightly we are protesting it because it was wrong to do in the first place. Katey and the rest of the cast is just as shocked as we are about it and she's encouraged us to fight the decision so we are.  

• Useful 1
  • Love 3
1 hour ago, chediavolo said:

Maybe we will be seeing more of Katey on this show since Rebel has been cancelled.   

Fudge, I didn't know Rebel was canceled. Katey was so good in that show.

• Love 4
4 minutes ago, nokat said:

What?? It hasn't been that many episodes. Give it a chance and let it finish it's episode order first.

4 minutes ago, Arcadiasw said:

What?? It hasn't been that many episodes. Give it a chance and let it finish it's episode order first.

It took me a while to get into it and then I binged it. I hope the writers give her something on The Conners.

• Love 4
36 minutes ago, nokat said:

Yes she was/is, but the good news is we will be able to see the remaining 5 episodes it’s been confirmed by Erin Brockovich and Katey on their social media. 

• Love 3
15 hours ago, Arcadiasw said:

How can they possibly decide to cancel it this soon?    They never even gave  it a chance 

(edited)
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

How can they possibly decide to cancel it this soon?    They never even gave  it a chance 

Actually the press kind of mislead with the article titles (except for TVLine) it's not actually canceled, it just hasn't been renewed for season 2 (at least at the moment) the fans are fighting the decision(me included) that said though we will be able to see the remaining 5 episodes it's been confirmed, so there's some good news in all this mess

Edited by ESS
  • Useful 1
On 5/18/2021 at 8:02 AM, Arcadiasw said:

This is why I’m hesitant to try new shows, especially with ABC. Every time I try one of their new shows, they cancel it. They did it with Forever and Time After Time. I won’t invest my time in new dramas if they’re only going to be cancelled after a few weeks. 

Problem is, though, the hesitancy to even try new shows for fear they'll be cancelled too soon doesn't help their chances, either. Either they get cancelled too soon despite having viewership, or nobody watches and they get cancelled. Nobody wins either way. 

I hate it when a show  like barely gets a chance before getting cancelled, too. But if I refuse to watch a show that sounds interesting to me because it might be at risk of getting cancelled early, and it does wind up getting cancelled, then I'll have missed out on a chance to check out a show that I could've wound up really liking. At least if I'm watching and liking the show as it's airing, even if it still gets cancelled way too soon, I still got to enjoy what did air. I'd rather have that than nothing at all. 

• Love 2
(edited)
8 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Problem is, though, the hesitancy to even try new shows for fear they'll be cancelled too soon doesn't help their chances, either. Either they get cancelled too soon despite having viewership, or nobody watches and they get cancelled. Nobody wins either way. 

I hate it when a show  like barely gets a chance before getting cancelled, too. But if I refuse to watch a show that sounds interesting to me because it might be at risk of getting cancelled early, and it does wind up getting cancelled, then I'll have missed out on a chance to check out a show that I could've wound up really liking. At least if I'm watching and liking the show as it's airing, even if it still gets cancelled way too soon, I still got to enjoy what did air. I'd rather have that than nothing at all. 

Yeah exactly I can't give up on Rebel now especially as I've been following it for a year and second it's not in my nature to just give up because I love and care about the show and I'll be with it until the end. That said though I can't wait for tomorrow's episode as it's been a long week for us Rebel fans so I'm happy we have something to look forward to in the form of a new episode.

Edited by ESS
  • Love 2
26 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

I'm still salty about Keen Eddie.

(edited)

I have season 3 on the DVR.

Where can I find season 1?  Anyplace I look, it appears unavailable.  I don't even see where to buy the DVD.

What about season 2?  I have most of it on the DVR, but am missing a few episodes.

Most places I look only appear to have season 3, which I don't need.

If someone can find the first season, and perhaps the second, can someone post a link to the place where I can stream or buy it?  So I can make sure I'm looking in the right place.

I just finished season 10 of Roseanne, so I'm ready for season 1 of The Conners now.

Edited by nuraman00
  • Love 1

1 hour ago, nuraman00 said:

Where can I find season 1?  Anyplace I look, it appears unavailable.  I don't even see where to buy the DVD.

As you discovered, Seasons 1 and 2 don't seem to be available for streaming right now, though they were previously on several platforms (where search results still show them, but to no avail). No DVDs as yet. 

• Useful 3

Usually when episodes disappear like this, it's about to either be syndicated or show up as an exclusive somewhere. That doesn't help much if you're ready to watch now, though.

• Useful 1
  • Love 2
(edited)
14 hours ago, tessaray said:

Usually when episodes disappear like this, it's about to either be syndicated or show up as an exclusive somewhere. That doesn't help much if you're ready to watch now, though.

Thanks.

That at least appears to be good news.  Hopefully I'll be able to watch it in a few months, somehow.

When I heard the reboot was happening, I recorded it on the DVR back in 2018.  But I hadn't seen the original Roseanne yet (other than a few episodes, back in 2009, which had garnered my interest).  Finally last August 2020, I started the original show.

Then I got to season 10 last week.  Since I've had season 10 on my DVR for 3+ years before watching it, I guess I can wait a few months for hopefully syndication, or some other streaming platform, for The Conners.

What do you guys think of this site?

I sent them a few emails, and they answered my questions.

They said they sell import DVDs that usually aren't available in the USA.

They say they are Region 1 DVDs.

They said no refunds if they don't work, though. Only replacements.

https://www.swiftsthrifts.com/store/the-conners-seasons-1-2-abc-original-3-dvd-r1-us-playback.html

Edited by nuraman00

I shared my ending version of Roseanne if season 8 really was the true last season with a fan and there comment made me happy that it brought them joy. And they said I should share it with other fans so….here it is.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/30439896

I try my best to capture the feel and likeness/personalities of the characters. So I hope you all enjoy it.

And Because I really am done with depression 24/7 on the conners. I also have a first chapter of a season 10 rewrite I am doing.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/33335290

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Love 3
54 minutes ago, Rocknrollzombie said:

I shared my ending version of Roseanne if season 8 really was the true last season with a fan and there comment made me happy that it brought them joy. And they said I should share it with other fans so….here it is.

https://archiveofourown.org/works/30439896

I try my best to capture the feel and likeness/personalities of the characters. So I hope you all enjoy it. Because I am really am done with depression 24/7 on the conners. I also have a first chapter of a season 10 rewrite I am doing.

That's very good. It would have been a nice ending.

• Love 1

After digging, and almost giving up ever finding interview he did. I found interviews that Glenn did and I just love what he had to say about The show and his role as Mark and Mark’s character in his own words. And how Dan and Mark’s father son relationship extended beyond set.

9B830DA3-1E79-4AC9-B933-0602FA262DC0.jpeg

2DD699D5-FB03-4C10-807C-1AD4BD68F9F9.jpeg

I finally got through the interviews and he was really close with John Goodman. Well all of them but closer to John. See pic below

7E00F436-4BCC-4BE1-9DC7-E210B52A27FA.jpeg

Edited by Rocknrollzombie
  • Useful 1
  • Love 9
16 hours ago, Annber03 said:

Merry Christmas! Hope all who are celebrating are having a safe, fun holiday :)!

We had to take our tree down because our kitten declared a fatwa on it and was attempting to kill it and herself by chewing on the lights. Merry fucking Christmas.😆

7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, no! Silly cat!

7 minutes ago, Annber03 said:

Oh, no! Silly cat!

She's a Maine C***. They don't get their adult teeth until they're a year old plus we moved her favorite perch (cat tree) from in front of the window to put the tree there. She WAS NOT having it.

• Love 1
8 hours ago, peacheslatour said:

She's a Maine C***. They don't get their adult teeth until they're a year old plus we moved her favorite perch (cat tree) from in front of the window to put the tree there. She WAS NOT having it.

Ooff we actually put aluminum foil on the counter top where me and my parents had our small tree. So our old grumpy cat wouldn’t decide to be the grinch.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1
31 minutes ago, CrystalBlue said:

God bless all the felines.  They are God's creatures and enrich our human lives immeasurably.  Hopefully we do the same for them.

Yes, I love my cat I have had him since middle school. I had another cat but she has been gone for four years now(a car sadly …yeah). I actually talk to my cat and scold him sometimes and he gets all sassy with his meows.

speaking of cats actually found a pic of Glenn with a kitten a stray kitten on Twitter it is so adorable.

• Love 1