Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
SilverStormm

Becky Conner-Healy/Lecy Goranson: Most Days I Don't Recognize Me

I don't know if it was the writers or just the two becky's personalities that were totally different during seasons 6-8. But I remember once Becky re-appeared in the show played by chalke. I think Dan or Someone asked something about the apartement that her,and Mark lived in while in minnesota chalke's Becky said the apartment sucked,or something like that. While in season 5 the second episode Lecy's Becky was excited & proud of their apartment.

And when Mark dropped out of trade chalke's Becky said she didn't want Mark to think he was worthless. I think Lecy's Becky wouldn't have said that she wouldn't have allowed Roseanne to tell her what to do to change Mark.

Anyways OG Becky will always be my fav. In the revival when Jackie, & Roseanne go to Becky's apartment I like the fact that she has posters of peral jam, and other bands. Wondering if The Conners will show more of Becky's apartment.

• Like 6

I really, really hope they keep Becky unable to have kids. I never see characters go through this journey without ending up with a kid, whether it be through getting pregnant or adoption. Sometimes neither of those things happen, so let's try that writers.

• Like 9

4 hours ago, threebluestars said:

I really, really hope they keep Becky unable to have kids. I never see characters go through this journey without ending up with a kid, whether it be through getting pregnant or adoption. Sometimes neither of those things happen, so let's try that writers.

Same, Becky did want children, but only with Mark. They were loyal, and crazy about each other. Her  having a child might give her some type of motivation in life, but in my opinion it won't last long.

If the writers decide to keep Becky childless I'll be happy because not everything happens by some miracle. And by the way love your profile pic Applejack is my favorite, pinkie is my second fav.

• Like 4

On ‎7‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:00 PM, RocknRollZombie said:

If the writers decide to keep Becky childless I'll be happy because not everything happens by some miracle

Having characters have a baby during the run of the show usually is ultimately a failure.  The writers come up with all sorts of stories revolving around the pregnancy (apparently pregnancy is funny, actual babies not so much), but once the baby's born they don't know what to do with it (on Lucy she went to Europe, leaving the baby in N.Y. and then went to Hollywood and ditto).

• Like 2

With only 10 episodes, Becky getting pregnant could drive a lot of story that isn't based completely on economic despair.  She and Jackie could bond, Darlene could offer lots of unsolicited advise, there is pregnancy discrimination in the workplace... and naturally this would be one place you would really miss your mother (if they do kill off RC). 

Still, I understand why some viewers might prefer a childless Becky. It's a realistic outcome.  And I kind of like boozy, sarcastic Becky.   

• Like 7

Becky's self-admitted boozer trailer trash tramp character is really the only reason I'm still watching. Her lines are the only thing that make me laugh.

Also what deal did she make with the devil to be 42 years old and still look no more than 27?

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Rhondinella said:

Also what deal did she make with the devil to be 42 years old and still look no more than 27?

There's a picture in her attic....

• Like 5

I just Becky to be happy now. She so damm broken on the inside with all the things that happened to her. And finding out that she seeks validation from men gives us a more in depth look at the inner workings of her mind of the lasting effects of her grief. Just give her a break ...that baby better be okay.

• Like 7

18 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

I just Becky to be happy now. She so damm broken on the inside with all the things that happened to her. And finding out that she seeks validation from men gives us a more in depth look at the inner workings of her mind of the lasting effects of her grief. Just give her a break ...that baby better be okay.

So weird to me because young Becky was never this way. Sure, compared to loner Darlene she had some conventional goals of popularity but boys always liked her and she never needed that type of validation. Of course a lot has changed since then. Can you imagine if young Becky got into a time machine and met her future self? She would be devastated.

• Like 11

I agree that young Becky enjoyed school and her friends every bit as much as she enjoyed boys, so did not seek that type of validation.  But the Becky Mark widowed was in a very different place in life than the Becky who was on student council, hanging at the mall with her friends, and planning to go to college, or even the Becky who was married and planning a different future.  She no longer had much in her life to be proud of or take comfort in, so falling into the trap of finding validation in being attractive to men is sad, but not weird, to me.  The life Becky has led in the time between when we saw her last and met up with her again lets me go with it in terms of characterization (for the most part).  At least she's not clinging to any of them, trying to make the relationships into something more than they are, or putting up with being treated poorly by them.

Edited by Bastet
  • Like 12

6 minutes ago, Bastet said:

I agree that young Becky enjoyed school and her friends every bit as much as she enjoyed boys, so did not seek that type of validation.  But the Becky Mark widowed was in a very different place in life than the Becky who was on student council, hanging at the mall with her friends, and planning to go to college, or even the Becky who was married and planning a different future.  She no longer had much in her life to be proud of or take comfort in, so falling into the trap of finding validation in being attractive to men is sad, but not weird, to me.  The life Becky has led in the time between when we saw her last and met up with her again lets me go with it in terms of characterization (for the most part).  At least she's not clinging to any of them, trying to make the relationships into something more than they are, or putting up with being treated poorly by them.

That's true, it shows how much death can have an impact with Present Becky's characterization. And it's also good that she doesn't cling to any of those relationships.

Young Becky had ideals even when she married Mark she still had dreams. She was loved by Mark who I think it was mentioned by her in the first episode that he was introduced in. That he treated her better than any other guy before him. And that's also a thing that hit me the diffence between adult Becky, and Jackie with the validation comment. Becky doesn't cling to those guys, but Jackie would cling to those relationships back in the original.

• Like 5

2 hours ago, RocknRollZombie said:

She was loved by Mark who I think it was mentioned by her in the first episode that he was introduced in. That he treated her better than any other guy before him.

I don't think she ever said he treated her better than any other guy (Roseanne and Jackie talked about being treated like crap by boyfriends, but Becky had normal date and break-up experiences).  She just said - in the episode where Roseanne and Dan told her she couldn't see him anymore - that he was the greatest guy she ever dated.  And, of course, he wound up being her first love, and then her husband.

• Like 7

Becky really is my favorite character on the show. She always was (well, Lecy's Becky anyway; once she was gone/Sarah was there, I had to look elsewhere), but this season confirmed why that is for me in spades. 

Edited by UYI
  • Like 5

On 12/10/2018 at 5:13 PM, Mmmfloorpie said:

Roseanne was persona non gratis in Hollywood even at that point. Goodman and Metcalf had successful careers acting in other people's production and Lecy and Fishman hadn't worked in "the business" for decades.

This was posted quite awhile ago, but I had to respond to this in particular, because in Lecy's case this isn't true at all. She may not have had a regular role on a weekly series again until this show was brought back, but she had several roles over the years in movies (most notably, a supporting role in Boys Don't Cry), guest appearances on TV (one of her more memorable ones being in the final episode of Sex and the City), and stage work. Yes, there was a period after she left the original show in season 5 where she was at college (and there may have been a few lulls in her acting career later on), but for the most part  she has had an active career in "the business" before ultimately returning for this show. She may not have had giant starring roles in huge productions, but she definitely kept working. 

• Like 2
  • Useful 4

Yes, Goranson was very much a typical working actor in NY - short films, stage performances, the occasional guest shot on a big show, all sometimes supplemented by non-acting gigs.  She didn't do much work in "Hollywood", no, but she was not out of "the business".

• Like 2
  • Useful 2