Forums forums
PRIMETIMER
Mindthinkr

What are your aches and pains?

Gosh. Sometimes they are her with us forever and sometimes they come and go, but if you hurt here’s a place to vent about it. 

Can be temporary or permanent. All hurts count. 

• Like 3

*raises hand* I'll play!

I don't know what I'd do if I could lie down at night and not feel muscle soreness somewhere*. It's my own fault for not making time to take care of myself. Back when I did at-home Pilates-type stretches every night, I felt so much better.

*Specifically, for the past 2+ years, when I lie on my right side every night, I have a pretty sharp twinge in my right side. It doesn't bother me if I lie on my left side or when I'm sitting or standing. It's not in the appendix area, that got taken out in 2012 -- more like the right flank area. When I asked the doctor at my yearly checkup if this is normal, he said, "for everything you do, yes." Apparently muscle pain is common in caregivers.

• Like 4

I agree about the stretching. My doctor told me how much it would help when I had a back pull and he was right. It really helps with my back, hip and leg.  If I will just do those stretches, I'll be mostly pain free.  

I'm in the market for a new mattress.  I'm curious about the dial a number type.  I also think that having the option to incline a little instead of laying out flat would be helpful.  Any comments would be appreciated if you have experience with those. 

• Like 2

Yeah I echo the stretches comments. I have chronic tight muscles from a lifetime of severe anxiety and sitting. I work out more now but I have to stretch all. the. time. It's a nuisance but it is helpful. It also helps to learn the right stretches to do to target the trouble area. 

Edited by cleo
  • Like 3

When I was nursing the Dr had a choice. Give the patient pain meds and muscle relaxers or do a few yoga poses. The patient came in at 4 pm the next day and he went over the poses with her to help her know that she was doing them correctly. Voila. Her pain was gone and he avoided another potential problem with opioid addiction. I like when Drs think out of the box and give options that aren’t always from their medical books or prescription pads. 

@SunnyBeBe My girlfriend has one of those beds with dual controls. She likes firm and her husband likes very soft (almost no air). They love it and it has helped her with her neck and back pain (auto accident). If she can’t get comfortable she just readjusts her number and it keeps her somewhat pain free. It takes the pressure off of her sore spots. (Teehee..they had to hide the control remote as her grandchildren were having so much fun changing it and they’d forget what number setting that they were at. They hid it so well that they cannot find it! I’d have to ask her if it’s been located since I was last there). 

• Like 3

I had three back operations back in the 1980s, all successful in making life livable again. Now, in my ancient age, I have occasional back problems, which always go away. I take cyclobenzaprene/Flexeril and usually get better in a few days. I hurt my lower back about five weeks ago, not badly, just enough so that I have trouble getting up and down from a sitting position, especially if I sit for a while. I dragged my back ache through a wonderful 2-week trip to Alaska because I love going places and nothing is going to stop me! I also have an occasional muscle spasm below my left shoulder blade which is really annoying. 

So, I went for a massage. I do think that helped lessen the tension in my shoulders. And I started a class of Essentrics, a method of stretching developed by Miranda Esmonde-White, which I saw featured on Channel 2. It would cost about $1000 to take a weekend class at her New York place, but I found a student of hers giving classes 45 miles from me ($90 for 5 weeks), and have been to two classes so far. I'm impressed. Miranda says that her stretches activate every muscle in your body. I see that I am the stiffest person in the class, but I'm doing my best. And now I've got to dash off because I'm going to physical therapy! Hoping to be better soon!

• Like 5

@Porkchop I’m happy to see that you were able to find this thread. I was coming here to give you a mention that would get you here. 

I’m glad that you have found something that sounds promising about loosening up your back and spasms. I really hope that it works for you and equally chuffed that you found a place nearer to you as I suspect that time in a car may not be too comfortable. 

Alaska...that’s on my bucket list. Lucky you. I try to travel too. I find that it changes my perspective on things. It’s an education without all the books, tests etc. I’m happy you got to go. 

Best wishes with your new classes. Soon you won’t be the stiffest person doing it! 

• Like 1

23 hours ago, Porkchop said:

I had three back operations back in the 1980s, all successful in making life livable again. Now, in my ancient age, I have occasional back problems, which always go away. I take cyclobenzaprene/Flexeril and usually get better in a few days. I hurt my lower back about five weeks ago, not badly, just enough so that I have trouble getting up and down from a sitting position, especially if I sit for a while. I dragged my back ache through a wonderful 2-week trip to Alaska because I love going places and nothing is going to stop me! I also have an occasional muscle spasm below my left shoulder blade which is really annoying. 

So, I went for a massage. I do think that helped lessen the tension in my shoulders. And I started a class of Essentrics, a method of stretching developed by Miranda Esmonde-White, which I saw featured on Channel 2. It would cost about $1000 to take a weekend class at her New York place, but I found a student of hers giving classes 45 miles from me ($90 for 5 weeks), and have been to two classes so far. I'm impressed. Miranda says that her stretches activate every muscle in your body. I see that I am the stiffest person in the class, but I'm doing my best. And now I've got to dash off because I'm going to physical therapy! Hoping to be better soon!

Thought I'd mention, if anyone interested, she also has books and DVDs--not every one likes to go to classes (I certainly don't--people are different in that regard).

Good luck to you! Happy you found something that works for you!

• Like 3

I will look into the DVDs for sure.

I tend to have muscle issues, though nothing too serious or recent.  I did have this one muscle spasm years ago that lasted for one whole year and nothing would phase it.  This back spasm LAUGHED in the face of Flexeril and no amount of trigger point therapy or anything else would help it.  I would spend hours pounding my back into the door frame in hopes of relief.  But, if finally released, just before I was to go in for botox injection.  I'm not sure why, but pain pills and muscle relaxers don't seem to help me much, so, I know that I can't rely on them.  I have to figure out other treatments and the stretching seems to be the best for me so far. 

• Like 3

Dang. I was repotting plants and doing yard work yesterday and my back really began to hurt. Took Advil. That upset my stomach in the middle of the night. I also have severe osteoporosis and shouldn’t be doing all this heavy lifting (stress fractures) but what’s my choice? Although my age might betray me, I’m too young to hurt from activities of normal living. Looks like a bath with Epsom salts. Need to go on Amazon and get some Ventolin. 

• Like 1

Reading these back pain comments reminded me of a lecture I attended at work 10+ years ago. The instructor told us about The McKenzie Method for lower back pain. When my dad was having problems shortly after, he started going to a certified McKenzie therapist. As long as Dad did his at-home exercises, it worked wonders for him.

• Like 5

f

On 8/24/2018 at 6:50 PM, forumfish said:

Reading these back pain comments reminded me of a lecture I attended at work 10+ years ago. The instructor told us about The McKenzie Method for lower back pain. When my dad was having problems shortly after, he started going to a certified McKenzie therapist. As long as Dad did his at-home exercises, it worked wonders for him.

That was interesting information! And there's a practitioner 20 miles from me! I'll consult her for my next ache. At this moment, I'm feeling pretty good, and I'm off to Transylvania, Romania, Serbia and Croatia! 

• Like 2

The pain started under my ribcage on both sides then went up my shoulders and down my back, it spread into my arms, my hands, my fingers, my legs and my feet. Mostly sharp or dull pain. Other times there's an intense heat with the pain. I have horrible inflammation throughout my entire body. My head often feels like sauna being turned on and off, other times it feels like someone took a curling iron and burned different parts of my head. I keep my window open all winter longs in hopes it will cool me down which is 50/50. My muscles in my legs are very weak. They stop working randomly. So many times I'm not doing anything and they just stop working. My muscles and nerves are all messed up. I also started developing muscle spasms. Where my arm or arms, legs, feet will suddenly start shaking. Sometimes its just one other times its both arms or both legs. My head shakes which hurts. The top of my head often feels like big rocks sitting on it other times its a fog. I have short term memory problems. I'm house bound and there's very little that I can do physically. Three months I went from being a normal person to needing a caretaker. I have absolutely no idea what it is, how it started or what any of the triggers are. I do know that heat aggravates everything. Every summer the heat makes everything so much worse. I basically live on AC, my ceiling fan and a water cooler. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, andromeda331 said:

The pain started under my ribcage on both sides then went up my shoulders and down my back, it spread into my arms, my hands, my fingers, my legs and my feet. Mostly sharp or dull pain. Other times there's an intense heat with the pain. I have horrible inflammation throughout my entire body. My head often feels like sauna being turned on and off, other times it feels like someone took a curling iron and burned different parts of my head. I keep my window open all winter longs in hopes it will cool me down which is 50/50. My muscles in my legs are very weak. They stop working randomly. So many times I'm not doing anything and they just stop working. My muscles and nerves are all messed up. I also started developing muscle spasms. Where my arm or arms, legs, feet will suddenly start shaking. Sometimes its just one other times its both arms or both legs. My head shakes which hurts. The top of my head often feels like big rocks sitting on it other times its a fog. I have short term memory problems. I'm house bound and there's very little that I can do physically. Three months I went from being a normal person to needing a caretaker. I have absolutely no idea what it is, how it started or what any of the triggers are. I do know that heat aggravates everything. Every summer the heat makes everything so much worse. I basically live on AC, my ceiling fan and a water cooler. 

I’m really sorry to hear of your landslide of problems. It’s a shame that you haven’t been able to get a diagnosis which could lead to a cure or at least medications to remedy the situation. I hate heat too. People know when they come to my house to dress for warmth. 

Here are a few things that I have learned to help me cope. On Amazon they make cooling towels. They actually do a pretty good job of ridding heat. You just run them under cold water, wring them, and then apply to the back of the neck. FA15E191-440F-4711-B782-F102D6CDA5D3.png.c29b1d12f995cb63b9a2dbb9059c0199.png

Sorry I couldn’t give you a direct link but I have the technological skills of a guppy. 

You can also take hand towels, get them damp and then fold them into a gallon sized zip lock (or plastic shopping bag) and put them in your freezer. Just be careful how you fold them because you do not want to have to struggle with getting it into the correct size for placement on the neck. Your inner wrists are also a good place to put cold things to facilitate cooling. Not as good as the back of the neck but helpful. Please remember that when using frozen towels to only use them 10 minutes on, then 10 minutes off. You don’t want to add skin freeze or another problem to your basket. 

Now onto leg cramps. Make sure that you are well hydrated. That can cause it. Also that you are getting enough calcium and magnesium. Your diet can help.  Good sources of magnesium are green leafy vegetables (kale and spinach), bananas, figs, avocados, raspberries, nuts/seeds, salmon, mackerel and tuna. Broccoli and other green vegetables also have it. The darker green...the better. Supplements can be taken but the body doesn’t absorb and use it as well through this delivery. My Dr also told me that for an emergency fix (those pesky middle of the night Charlie horses etc) that I can eat Tums. Before you do any supplements or Tums just make sure that they don’t interfere with any of your other medications. Your pharmacist can advise you on this and it will save the cost of going to a physician. That’s assuming that you have addressed these issues with your Dr. That should have been one of your first steps. 

For nerves I recommend a B complex with C vitamin. It might help. A lot of the foods that I have listed for you are also rich in these. Do you like beans and rice? Legumes are also good sources of healthy nutrients. I love red beans and rice. It was a staple when I lived in New Orleans. I top it off with whatever uncooked veggies that I happen to have on hand (peppers, onions and celery are my favorites). Let me know if you need a recipe. 

About the short term memory loss...welcome to aging. I hate it when a word gets stuck on my tongue and I can’t get it out. I call them brain farts (not to be crass). There have been some studies that Selenium can be helpful. No evidence as of yet. A great source of that (besides supplements but still heed my advice on them from above) is Brazil nuts. I buy small batches at a health food store. Even eating 2-4 per days can help. They also have those good cholesterol oils. 

Well I hope that I have been able to give you some good food for thought...pardon the pun lol. I hate hearing that you have become homebound and no longer able to get out and enjoy your life. I will wish for you that it leaves just as quickly as it arrived. Please feel better. 

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, Mindthinkr said:

I’m really sorry to hear of your landslide of problems. It’s a shame that you haven’t been able to get a diagnosis which could lead to a cure or at least medications to remedy the situation. I hate heat too. People know when they come to my house to dress for warmth. 

Here are a few things that I have learned to help me cope. On Amazon they make cooling towels. They actually do a pretty good job of ridding heat. You just run them under cold water, wring them, and then apply to the back of the neck. FA15E191-440F-4711-B782-F102D6CDA5D3.png.c29b1d12f995cb63b9a2dbb9059c0199.png

Sorry I couldn’t give you a direct link but I have the technological skills of a guppy. 

You can also take hand towels, get them damp and then fold them into a gallon sized zip lock (or plastic shopping bag) and put them in your freezer. Just be careful how you fold them because you do not want to have to struggle with getting it into the correct size for placement on the neck. Your inner wrists are also a good place to put cold things to facilitate cooling. Not as good as the back of the neck but helpful. Please remember that when using frozen towels to only use them 10 minutes on, then 10 minutes off. You don’t want to add skin freeze or another problem to your basket. 

Now onto leg cramps. Make sure that you are well hydrated. That can cause it. Also that you are getting enough calcium and magnesium. Your diet can help.  Good sources of magnesium are green leafy vegetables (kale and spinach), bananas, figs, avocados, raspberries, nuts/seeds, salmon, mackerel and tuna. Broccoli and other green vegetables also have it. The darker green...the better. Supplements can be taken but the body doesn’t absorb and use it as well through this delivery. My Dr also told me that for an emergency fix (those pesky middle of the night Charlie horses etc) that I can eat Tums. Before you do any supplements or Tums just make sure that they don’t interfere with any of your other medications. Your pharmacist can advise you on this and it will save the cost of going to a physician. That’s assuming that you have addressed these issues with your Dr. That should have been one of your first steps. 

For nerves I recommend a B complex with C vitamin. It might help. A lot of the foods that I have listed for you are also rich in these. Do you like beans and rice? Legumes are also good sources of healthy nutrients. I love red beans and rice. It was a staple when I lived in New Orleans. I top it off with whatever uncooked veggies that I happen to have on hand (peppers, onions and celery are my favorites). Let me know if you need a recipe. 

About the short term memory loss...welcome to aging. I hate it when a word gets stuck on my tongue and I can’t get it out. I call them brain farts (not to be crass). There have been some studies that Selenium can be helpful. No evidence as of yet. A great source of that (besides supplements but still heed my advice on them from above) is Brazil nuts. I buy small batches at a health food store. Even eating 2-4 per days can help. They also have those good cholesterol oils. 

Well I hope that I have been able to give you some good food for thought...pardon the pun lol. I hate hearing that you have become homebound and no longer able to get out and enjoy your life. I will wish for you that it leaves just as quickly as it arrived. Please feel better. 

Thank you for the ideas!  The cooling towels sound like they'll be really helpful I'll look into them. I'll try anything if it means a chance to cool down. The food part is harder. In addition to all this I have gastroparesis which is a stomach problem. It was diagnosed about a year before all this started. My stomach can't break down hard foods like vegetables, beans, fruits, whole wheat, multigrain, fried food, and so many other things. So it just stays in my stomach until there's no room left then I throw it up until however long it takes for it all to be gone. Before I was diagnosis that could be anywhere from a week to two months. I have to stick with a low-fiber diet to keep that under control. I try mostly with supplements or smoothies and sometimes puree. As long as its liquid form I can drink my vegetables or very thin soups. We even have to be careful of what medicines are made from one medicine he had me try turned out to be corn base and sure enough my gastroparesis flair up. He's put me on iron supplements to help that out. Its annoying but still better then throwing up all the time.  I eat a lot of grilled chicken, a lot of yogurt, drink a lot of vegetables, I can also have rice, lean meats, potatoes without skins, pudding, applesauce, eggs, cheese, peanut butter, white breads, saltine crackers, noodles, and bananas.   

Edited by andromeda331
  • Like 1

I hesitated to add this home remedy to ward off leg cramps, but what the hey!  You keep an unwrapped bar of Ivory soap between the bottom & top sheets of your bed. It has worked for my sister and for me. We learned about this at The People's Pharmacy, an online blog. Joel Graedon sponsors/hosts/owns this blog. He's a pharmacologist and has been a professor at Duke. He & his wife, a scientist, cover all kinds of medical topics and they also include the home remedy section where readers contribute what has worked for them.

• Like 2

My Mom swears by the Ivory soap in the sheets.   She also keeps some packets of mustard by her bedside in case one hits.  There's mixed results on this home remedy, but it doesn't do any harm to give it a try.

• Like 2

4 hours ago, DeLurker said:

My Mom swears by the Ivory soap in the sheets.   She also keeps some packets of mustard by her bedside in case one hits.  There's mixed results on this home remedy, but it doesn't do any harm to give it a try.

What does she do with the mustard? Eat a teaspoon? I happen to love the stuff and would be just fine if that was a cure although I will try the easy route of getting a bar of Ivory Soap. 

• Like 1

I wish I understood the Ivory Soap theory. I know the mustard works, because, I have tried it many times.  Often it works with one bite of the mustard, but, one time, I had to take it twice. I put it on a little piece of turkey or cracker. I suppose it's the chemical in mustard which is vinegar.  

Anyone know why the Ivory soap is supposed to work?  Since it doesn't enter your body, I don't get it.  

On 1/19/2019 at 8:25 AM, annzeepark914 said:

I hesitated to add this home remedy to ward off leg cramps, but what the hey!  You keep an unwrapped bar of Ivory soap between the bottom & top sheets of your bed. It has worked for my sister and for me. We learned about this at The People's Pharmacy, an online blog. Joel Graedon sponsors/hosts/owns this blog. He's a pharmacologist and has been a professor at Duke. He & his wife, a scientist, cover all kinds of medical topics and they also include the home remedy section where readers contribute what has worked for them.

I'll add to the ivory soap love! I used to get Charley Horses all the time when I was pregnant and this older lady at my work told me to try Ivory Soap in the bed sheets. I did it and it was amazing! That was 6 years ago. I used it with my last pregnancy as well and it worked like  a charm! 

• Like 2

Anyone try CBD oil for various aches & pains?

my brother’s knees are shot and he was supposed to be scheduling surgery, but ended up trying CBD oil.  He says the imflammation started to go down within days and the pain is greatly reduced.

Seems like this is just masking the problem and deterioration of the knees will continue, but he just won’t be as aware.

Trying to find legit medical articles is a challenge with limited studies and a zillion pro-CBD sites popping up so I thought I’d check here for first (or second) hand input with using it (for any reason).

His is a tincture that he puts under his tongue once a day - about 1/2 a dropper full.

Edited by DeLurker

On 1/19/2019 at 2:15 PM, Mindthinkr said:

What does she do with the mustard? Eat a teaspoon? 

Pretty much.  She keeps the packets in her nightstand and in her purse so she can access it without delay.  

On 1/28/2019 at 8:25 AM, DeLurker said:

Anyone try CBD oil for various aches & pains?

my brother’s knees are shot and he was supposed to be scheduling surgery, but ended up trying CBD oil.  He says the imflammation started to go down within days and the pain is greatly reduced.

Seems like this is just masking the problem and deterioration of the knees will continue, but he just won’t be as aware.

Trying to find legit medical articles is a challenge with limited studies and a zillion pro-CBD sites popping up so I thought I’d check here for first (or second) hand input with using it (for any reason).

His is a tincture that he puts under his tongue once a day - about 1/2 a dropper full.

I use CBD oil capsules and they seem to help the stiffness snd pain in my fingers from arthritis. I also take Humeria shots which are supposed to help stop the progression of the disease. I have fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis, rheumatoid,and psoriasic (misspelled) arthritis.  I am tired all the time but most of the time not in a lot of pain about a 3 on the pain scale. I do work full time which is good it keeps me moving and thinking about other people instead of myself .

• Like 3
  • Sad 1

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm wondering if it has pushed your blood pressure too low resulting in the fatigue?  Do you feel more tired now than before you were taking the CBD?  I am not sure if this is an easy question, because it would assume the multiple conditions have had no change and I don't know if you can assess that.

What was your average pain level prior to starting?

31 minutes ago, DeLurker said:

Thanks for the feedback.

I'm wondering if it has pushed your blood pressure too low resulting in the fatigue?  Do you feel more tired now than before you were taking the CBD?  I am not sure if this is an easy question, because it would assume the multiple conditions have had no change and I don't know if you can assess that.

What was your average pain level prior to starting?

No my blood pressure has not changed. The average pain level before was about a 5 so it has made it more manageable. The fatigue is part of both arthritis and fibromyalgia, also added into that I have always even as a child been low energy. I just wish when I get up in the morning I did not have to give myself a pep talk to get up. It could always be worse I am able to work and get around.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I use CBD oil capsules and they seem to help the stiffness snd pain in my fingers from arthritis. I also take Humeria shots which are supposed to help stop the progression of the disease. I have fibromyalgia, Osteoporosis, rheumatoid,and psoriasic (misspelled) arthritis.  I am tired all the time but most of the time not in a lot of pain about a 3 on the pain scale. I do work full time which is good it keeps me moving and thinking about other people instead of myself .

How long did it take for the Humeria shots to start working? I've been on them for two months now and they still haven't done anything.

Just now, andromeda331 said:

How long did it take for the Humeria shots to start working? I've been on them for two months now and they still haven't done anything.

That's hard to say,I started taking it right after I stopped another biologic med. It seems like you should be feeling a bit of difference. It's seems like when I first started taking this type of medicine I started feeling less pain in about a month ,but it has been over a year so I won't swear to that timeline. Have you talked to your rummy? Some people don't do well on it.

Just now, crazycatlady58 said:

That's hard to say,I started taking it right after I stopped another biologic med. It seems like you should be feeling a bit of difference. It's seems like when I first started taking this type of medicine I started feeling less pain in about a month ,but it has been over a year so I won't swear to that timeline. Have you talked to your rummy? Some people don't do well on it.

I have but she wants to wait until I make it to twelve weeks before making any decision. 

You might want to try CBD oil it may help. From what I read you do not have to worry about it affecting a drug test. I told my Dr. I was taking it and she thought it was great. She said she had another patient use it with good results. The think is not everyone has the same results so it is a guessing game.

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, crazycatlady58 said:

You might want to try CBD oil it may help. From what I read you do not have to worry about it affecting a drug test. I told my Dr. I was taking it and she thought it was great. She said she had another patient use it with good results. The think is not everyone has the same results so it is a guessing game.

I'll think about it. Thanks

• Like 1

REf. the CBD oil.   Don't you have to be in certain states to get it legally?  I know someone who gets it legally through a special pharmacy, but, she's in a clinical medical trial at a major medical center. 

On 2/23/2019 at 4:53 PM, SunnyBeBe said:

REf. the CBD oil.   Don't you have to be in certain states to get it legally?  I know someone who gets it legally through a special pharmacy, but, she's in a clinical medical trial at a major medical center. 

I don't know about all states. I can get it in Texas no problem, I am not sure why you can't buy it , it is not a mood altering drug. Sorry I took so long to answer 

Edited by crazycatlady58

2 hours ago, crazycatlady58 said:

I don't know about all states. I can get it in Texas no problem, I am not sure why you can't buy it , it is not a mood altering drug. Sorry I took so long to answer 

Hmmm....I"ll look into it more.  Thanks.

I went to the Dr as I thought I had a sinus infection from bad allergies and pollen. I complained I was up half the night coughing. He gave me some Tessalon Pearls. They helped. He also stated that it was no longer a treated (“standard of practice”) with an antibiotic even though I explained I had yellow and green discharge. It’s continually getting worse. All the teeth on my right side hurt as does my ear. My fever is 101.8. I’m still being told to ride it out yet the congestion in my lungs is beginning to worry me. Should I stop listening to my primary care guy and go to a Doc in the Box? I don’t know if you remember but around thanksgiving I was having stomach issues and went down to 72 lbs. That too was a wait and see approach although he did order a CAT scan after I was better and gaining weight again. I was ill and miserable for 6 months.  I’m going to see a new Lady later this month to change my primary, but I cannot get into see her for another 11 days. I really don’t feel well. Suggestions? 

• Like 2

Mindthinkr, I hope you're okay. I just saw the post about you being so sick.  I'd ask to be tested for the flu.  It's rampant in my area right now.  I realize that antibiotics are to be provided only when really necessary, but, it sounds like you have a lot of symptoms that scream infection.  I'd get a second opinion if I could. 

• Like 2

I don’t think that it’s the flu because I have no gastro issues. My biggest complaint is how all the teeth and my ear hurt on the right side. I called the dentist this am. They suggested that I go to a Doc in the box. I hate when illnesses get in the way of living. 

• Like 2

It does sound like sinus infection.  I recently have had a lot of tooth pain.  It moves around to different teeth.  I saw my dentist, cause, I already had a cleaning scheduled and they told me it was probably my sinuses. Right now, in my area pollen is HORRIBLE.  Let us know if you find out what it is and can get some help. 

• Like 2

Flu rarely has a gastrointestinal component.  More common symptoms are respiratory-related, fever, and muscle aches (cdc.gov).  And the muscle aches can be horrible -- like you've been hit by a bus.  At least that's how I felt, and I only had a very mild version!

But I agree, it sounds more like a sinus infection than flu.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, Browncoat said:

Flu rarely has a gastrointestinal component.  More common symptoms are respiratory-related, fever, and muscle aches (cdc.gov).  And the muscle aches can be horrible -- like you've been hit by a bus.  At least that's how I felt, and I only had a very mild version!

But I agree, it sounds more like a sinus infection than flu.

I feel weak, but don’t have any muscular aches and pains. I saw on the news videos of clouds of pollen and heard how this year is especially bad. I have been taking my Claritin. This too shall pass. 

I’m sorry you had a mild case of the flu, and it sounds like it was bad enough without being a full blown case. 

I appreciate the concern. Thanks folks. You find and pseudo-meet such nice people on this site. 

• Like 3

I had the flu Type A last year.   I had slight fever, coughing, congestion and just felt like I had been hit by a truck.  I didn't have any stomach issues, though, I wasn't hungry. I was too sick to go to doctor on day one. I could not move out of the bed. I went to doctor's on day two, and tested positive. I told them I had the flu when I walked in and I was right. They thought, I had some immunity, because I had the flu shot and in fact get one every year.  Tamiflu was AWESOME and immediately made me feel better. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Like 3

I feel lots of pain in the joints. I'm at my 30's, feeling arthritis in more joint bones in the body. 

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 hours ago, Kathrynn1 said:

I feel lots of pain in the joints. I'm at my 30's, feeling arthritis in more joint bones in the body. 

I have intermittent pain in my legs and knees. This one place only bothers me when I lie down or sit with my leg straight out. No problem when I walk or sit up.  lol  Isn't that crazy?  I have an appointment to see a doctor about it, but, it hasn't bothered me in the last couple of days, so, think I might cancel.  

• Like 1

On 4/8/2019 at 9:45 PM, Mindthinkr said:

I went to the Dr as I thought I had a sinus infection from bad allergies and pollen. I complained I was up half the night coughing. He gave me some Tessalon Pearls. They helped. He also stated that it was no longer a treated (“standard of practice”) with an antibiotic even though I explained I had yellow and green discharge. It’s continually getting worse. All the teeth on my right side hurt as does my ear. My fever is 101.8. I’m still being told to ride it out yet the congestion in my lungs is beginning to worry me. Should I stop listening to my primary care guy and go to a Doc in the Box? I don’t know if you remember but around thanksgiving I was having stomach issues and went down to 72 lbs. That too was a wait and see approach although he did order a CAT scan after I was better and gaining weight again. I was ill and miserable for 6 months.  I’m going to see a new Lady later this month to change my primary, but I cannot get into see her for another 11 days. I really don’t feel well. Suggestions? 

I've had sinus issues for years (mainly post nasal deluge!) so my advice would be to see an ear, nose & throat specialist. Yellow & green discharge are key indicators of infection that require an antibiotic (at least in my experience). I hope you get some relief very soon.