Type keyword(s) to search

Season 3 Discussion

In Season 3, "Vengeance," Karl and Elise reunite to conduct a morally complex investigation when a boat carrying child refugees is torched in the middle of the Channel.

(edited)

Not one to watch serial tv but I like this series.

Too bad its only 6 episodes, but its off to a good start.  I hate those damn gas masks.  

"What's wrong with your tooth?  Did you bite somebody?" Ha.

Edited by sskrill

Oh yay!  They found the one spot along the "White Cliffs of Dover" that wasn't a sheer drop to the ocean.  Hurray!  BB survived.  What with this being the last season I thought he was a goner.

I love this show but man, the drama is tearing me up.  I hate that Elise and Karl are at odds with one another.  I hate that Moreau put hands on Elise.  I hate that he turned to drink after she threw him out of the car.

But what I hate most is that I think I caught sight of a dead body on the floor in the final scene when Anton and Lana were having pasta.  Did Lana let Anton kill that nice blind lady that gave Lana a place to stay?  If so, damn.  That's dark.  I mean know this show is dark -- the central plot is about the exploitation of children and two complete whackos running around murdering and disfiguring people in over-the-top, gothic set-pieces -- but, damn.

• Love 6
14 hours ago, WatchrTina said:

Oh yay!  They found the one spot along the "White Cliffs of Dover" that wasn't a sheer drop to the ocean.  Hurray!  BB survived.  What with this being the last season I thought he was a goner.

I love this show but man, the drama is tearing me up.  I hate that Elise and Karl are at odds with one another.  I hate that Moreau put hands on Elise.  I hate that he turned to drink after she threw him out of the car.

But what I hate most is that I think I caught sight of a dead body on the floor in the final scene when Anton and Lana were having pasta.  Did Lana let Anton kill that nice blind lady that gave Lana a place to stay?  If so, damn.  That's dark.  I mean know this show is dark -- the central plot is about the exploitation of children and two complete whackos running around murdering and disfiguring people in over-the-top, gothic set-pieces -- but, damn.

I think that LANA is the actual murderer of the nice blind lady; she had blood on her hands.  I think it was very bad and unnecessary.

• Love 2

Okay so I just binge watched one and two and started three. I’m so confused. How much time is supposed to have passed? Why is the daughter with Karl and how old is she now??? Why did he leave his wife? Are these answered in the show? I’m finished episode two and not sure I’m liking it as much. 

• Love 1

Many years have passed because she is a teen.

Karl is separated again and his daughter and his MIL is staying with him.

It is not really discussed why Karl and his ex split but probably a multitudes of reasons...

The third season is the last so enjoy....

• Love 1

This episode was a real downer: the toddler looking for her mother in the opening scene, the dog whimpering for its lost owner, the elderly man waiting in vain for his wife, the meat delivery man being forced to witness his daughter(?)'s kidnapping, Moreau's sad spiral, our heroes still at odds and Elise now held hostage. With so much going on, I'm surprised they included the subplot about Karl's daughter and her friend. I'm looking forward to seeing how everything wraps up next week.

• Love 2

I have to say, while I love the characters of Karl, Elise and the others in this series, which I think is a tribute to the actors, I really wish the writers had dialed it back on the convoluted and bizarre plotting. This season especially makes me think I will have watch it again from the beginning.

• Love 3

Man, she just vaporized didn't she? I was hoping Karl hadn't included any adult pix of Saben/Francois for Lana. She didn't need to know what he looked like now. Still don't understand why they killed her blind friend. Super cruel.

• Love 4

Man, I know it was the series finale but that was not how I wanted to see this end.  I'm kind of pissed.

But I agree the plots are too convoluted.  You can do mystery without red herrings and lots of irrelevent side roads.

I wish Karl hadn't given her the pics, and I'm glad she shot dude in the face.

• Love 5

For an episode that had one of the main characters blowing up, that felt strangely anti-climactic. It seemed like they had plotted the story for more episodes but were told without much notice that they had to squeeze everything into 6. Did we ever find out why William Gaminara's character (the lawyer?) and the priest were drugged and taken?

And I had a hard time believing that Anton and Lana had the expertise and resources to pull off their final scheme (multiple abductions, setting up the meat truck with the gas, and the collar bomb). Also disappointing was the lack of resolution on the subplot of Karl's daughter, which seemed like it was going somewhere considering the time spent on it, and the wrap-up of the Moreau story which I thought was going to lead to the busting of a well-connected pedophile ring and a more dramatic response from Chaput and his father.

13 hours ago, rhys said:

I was hoping Karl hadn't included any adult pix of Saben/Francois for Lana. She didn't need to know what he looked like now.

Telling Lana that her son was alive and happy was enough of a kindness. Given her lack of remorse, I wouldn't have trusted her not to use details from the pictures and the little Karl told her to try to track him down.

• Love 6

Great show and phenomenal actors but I roll my eyes at how omnipotent the villians are in this series. They can do anything they want, and it's never explained how they did it. For instance they:

• Acquired hydrogen chloride gas.
  • Knew how to pump the gas into the truck.
  • Knew how to pump the gas into the truck at a rate where it wouldn't kill everyone right away.
  • Knew how to build a collar bomb.
  • Knew how to set up a dedicated web cam which could only be seen on a specific laptop.
  • Broke into the flat to set up the web cam without getting caught.
  • Despite Anton being of slight build they managed to overpower and kidnap 11 people and force them into the truck.
  • Snuck into a house during the night while the adults slept, deposited several kids there, then drugged and removed the kids that lived there without waking anyone.

And that's just season 3!

Note: I see that krankydoodle addressed some of these points in the post above mine, apologies.

Edited by Tim McD
inaccurate
  • Love 10

Well . . . that was brutal.  I knew this was the last season and I feared one of the two leads would die, so I'm not shocked but . . . damn that was brutal.  I'm just grateful that Elise sacrificed herself so that Karl wouldn't have to carry the burden of having killed her or having let all those other people die.  

It was an interesting thriller but, like Tim McD said above -- the two villains were just too uncannily expert at too broad a variety of macabre skills.  This season makes me want to go back and watch season 1 all over again.  I don't really remember the plot (except that it begins with a dead body, cut in two, at the exact mid-point of the tunnel) and now that I am mourning the Karl/Elise partnership I think it would be interesting to go back and see again how it all started.

Edited by WatchrTina
  • Love 3

In addition to the ridiculous abilities of the villains and unresolved plot lines, I eye-rolled the cliche "ticking bomb" plot line. He has to decide! And then, she decided for him, an option she knew she had all the time, so why all the "will he or won't he" angst? Also, would all murderers be so nice to purposely leave clues and notes to the police. Only in the movies....

Disappointed with this ending to a great series.

• Love 2
On 8/6/2018 at 1:30 PM, Tim McD said:

Great show and phenomenal actors but I roll my eyes at how omnipotent the villians are in this series. They can do anything they want, and it's never explained how they did it. For instance they:

• Acquired hydrogen chloride gas.
  • Knew how to pump the gas into the truck.
  • Knew how to pump the gas into the truck at a rate where it wouldn't kill everyone right away.
  • Knew how to build a collar bomb.
  • Knew how to set up a dedicated web cam which could only be seen on a specific laptop.
  • Broke into the flat to set up the web cam without getting caught.
  • Despite Anton being of slight build they managed to overpower and kidnap 11 people and force them into the truck.
  • Snuck into a house during the night while the adults slept, deposited several kids there, then drugged and removed the kids that lived there without waking anyone.

And that's just season 3!

Note: I see that krankydoodle addressed some of these points in the post above mine, apologies.

Information about how to do many of those things is available on the Internet, and you don't even need to go to the Dark Web to find it.

I really enjoyed this series except...EVERY season starts off with one crime and by the end of that particular season it's like that crime has been forgotten in favor of some other atrocity which may or may not have any connections. That was annoying as hell even though I knew it was going to happen.

I like how Karl never judged or commented on Elise's "interesting" sex life, he just wanted her to be happy. Which, sadly, is why I think she blew herself up. because she looked at how her personal life had spiraled not out of control, but off kilter, from being in a relationship with a guy who it turned out kind of actively disliked her the entire time they were together, to hooking up with a terrorist, which ended up with some super creepy pedophile doctor jamming a needle into her eyeball and injecting her with some super bug to not having any relationship.

Where did people get this show?

Looks like they're only releasing DVDs so if you want the HD version in the US, it has to be buying downloads from iTunes or Amazon.

I'm leery of buying through these outlets because PBS edited it for US release.  They're shown as rated TV-MA but I know in previous seasons, if you watched through PBS, they definitely cut out nudity and presumably language, whereas if you viewed the Blu-Ray discs, it wasn't edited from the UK/France versions.

But now, the only discs they're release is DVD for season 3.