Type keyword(s) to search

Kathryn Dennis: On Her Own!

• Start Topic

Glad Kathryn finally has her own thread free from the barnacle that is TRav.

Do I think she is some kind of "poor put upon woman" NO, but I do think she is maturing and coming into her own. Heck who didn't do some stupid stuff in their 20's and hitched themselves to the absolute wrong partner (happens every day even in no society podunk towns and cities) who speaks what we want to hear and convinces someone to  do things in the rosey glow of promises and love.

I can't wait for her to be in her 30's when shit really starts to make way more sense upon retrospect.

• Love 15
(edited)

I hope that Kathryn is willing to get help with her issues and agree to follow medical advice and not discontinue medications that treat her condition. Doing that without medical supervision is very ill advised and dangerous.  It demonstrates continued poor judgment, imo.  The results could have been disastrous. 

And, her attempts at employment are also dismal.  It seems that she might need some help with her interviewing skills. If the job with Gynn's wasn't a setup, I don't think she would have gotten it.  

If reports are correct, Kathryn attended The University of South Carolina for almost 7 years, but, doesn't have a degree.  I would think one might want to go ahead and get that completed, so she has that for her resume. She used to be pretty involved with the Republican Party and other activities.  So, she knows how to get out and get things done. (Update:  I found this article that says that she graduated from college in 2013.  Could that be right? Hmm.....anyone know?

https://wealtholino.com/kathryn-dennis-net-worth/

I suppose that she may consider her job being her role on Bravo and that's okay. I get that.   She probably makes more doing that than she would at a regular job, but, if you have no other skills and appear on a show that might not be around permanently, I might give other options consideration. Does she have a Trust to provide for her?  She seems to never stop poor mouthing, so, I guess not.    She may be able to live only on child support, but, who wants to do that?  Oh, nevermind.  lol 

https://www.bustle.com/articles/163220-what-did-kathryn-dennis-do-before-southern-charm-she-was-once-political-like-t-rav

Edited by SunnyBeBe
  • Love 1

If Thomas gets dropped from the show, she better come up with some other story line to be on the show.

Maybe the Shep and Katherine showman becomes a thing.

• Love 2
5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

I hope that Kathryn is willing to get help with her issues and agree to follow medical advice and not discontinue medications that treat her condition. Doing that without medical supervision is very ill advised and dangerous.  It demonstrates continued poor judgment, imo.  The results could have been disastrous. 

Anosognosia is pretty common with mental illness. She needs to make sure she has feedback mechanisms in her life to help her understand when she's not doing well.

5 hours ago, SunnyBeBe said:

If reports are correct, Kathryn attended The University of South Carolina for almost 7 years, but, doesn't have a degree.  I would think one might want to go ahead and get that completed, so she has that for her resume. She used to be pretty involved with the Republican Party and other activities.  So, she knows how to get out and get things done. 

I'm pretty sure she hasn't been an active student since the show began. She had about 3 years into that degree and that's it. And her involvement in the Republican Party and politics was intern/page duties, but it's the kind of stuff that takes you to a bunch of different offices, which is how she became known as Senate Barbie. She was a Senate Page. Kathryn just needs to get serious about some professional path. It could be politics/political science; I can see her becoming a lobbyist. Or it could be reality tv production; she's definitely got more understanding of how this works than your typical media and film production college student. A number of the Real Worlders got into the tv and film production side of things after their stints through the MTV meat grinder.

This reminds me of how the producers of Vanderpump Rules continue to praise Scheana for her ability to get comps and suggest that with a little more experience she'd make a fantastic producer and at no point has Scheana ever tried to make that happen as a fallback when Vanderpump Rules is off the air.

• Love 2
(edited)

True about anosognosia, but, Kathryn has admitted to her mental health struggles on air and how she has improved with treatment. Plus, she's under some sort of a contract and/or parenting agreement that she do certain things regarding her mental health and sobriety.  I would think that would include taking her prescribed medication.   

I have a difficult time imagining her in politics, but, you never know. I think she's incredibly attractive, but, that hasn't seemed to work out for her very well in the modeling field.  She may be aging out of that field soon anyway.  

I updated my previous post about her attending college.  I found conflicting info on whether she actually graduated from college.   I would think she would mention it occasionally, if she did. 

Edited by SunnyBeBe
5 minutes ago, zenme said:

I honestly think people the likes of Kathryn and Scheana  are looking to find themselves a wallet, and never work again.

Absolutely, for both of them. People need to remember that Thomas was the 2nd political figure Kathryn was romantically involved with. And this most recent season of Vanderpump Rules probably reminded everyone of what a shallow materialistic person Scheana is as she gushed about all of Rob's...ahem, Amber's...success.

• Love 5
1 hour ago, HunterHunted said:

Absolutely, for both of them. People need to remember that Thomas was the 2nd political figure Kathryn was romantically involved with. And this most recent season of Vanderpump Rules probably reminded everyone of what a shallow materialistic person Scheana is as she gushed about all of Rob's...ahem, Amber's...success.

Though I agree with your post, it's a stretch, IMO, to continue referring to tr as a political figure. I mean, no legit candidate behaves the way he does/did, and his 'campaign' - and I use that word in the loosest possible terms - was a reality show joke. He's pathetic in everything he does. I suppose he plays a mediocre game of polo, that's about all I can give the loser.

• Love 7
(edited)
10 minutes ago, gingerella said:

Though I agree with your post, it's a stretch, IMO, to continue referring to tr as a political figure. I

He was State Treasurer a political position that he won in election for before he went to prison. 

Edited by biakbiak
  • Love 9
(edited)
2 hours ago, gingerella said:

Though I agree with your post, it's a stretch, IMO, to continue referring to tr as a political figure. I mean, no legit candidate behaves the way he does/did, and his 'campaign' - and I use that word in the loosest possible terms - was a reality show joke. He's pathetic in everything he does. I suppose he plays a mediocre game of polo, that's about all I can give the loser.

2 hours ago, biakbiak said:

He was State Treasurer a political position that he won in election for before he went to prison. 

How 'bout if we say "failed former political figure"? He's not going to run again, he even said so when Ashley made a comment about being a "First Lady". He's done politically and he knows it.

So glad Kathryn is unhitching herself from his wreck of a wagon.

Edited by RedHawk
  • Love 4

Yes, at the time Kathryn was with him I think he had some aspirations, and even ran. In any case, he is a man with a political name in SC, and of course, there's the all-important money.

• Love 2
On 6/30/2018 at 1:52 AM, ozzy said:

I cannot wait for this Queen to succeed. She will be a Force of Nature, mark my word.

You know, I actually kind of agree with this.  Kathryn seems to me to be reasonably intelligent and creative.  With her newfound understanding of how to take control over her choices and life in general, she really could go places.   I could see her starting her own business at some point. 

• Love 3
(edited)

I find that Kathryn becomes more beautiful as she matures. As well, her ability to deflect potential BS scenarios is admirable. She just seems to be in control or, at least, keep her wits about her while others appear to fly off the handle. What really bothers me (to the point that I obsess over it) is that Kathryn needs to prove to Charleston that she is sober AND is a wonderful mother. Yet, where's the random blood tests for TRav? He is clearly an alcoholic, yet the Charleston courts deem that he deserves full custody. Furthermore, as Kathryn pointed out, they have a contract that states that they may not introduce their children to someone new in their lives without informing each other of the change in their 'single status'. TRav introduces their kids to Ashley on Mother's Day, without informing Kathryn he was even dating someone. It's idiotic drama like this that makes me wish TRav (known in my household as the reptilian Don Juan wanna-be) was off the show, along with his dimwitted girlfriend. Leave Kathryn on the show so we can watch her retain 50% custody while being wined and dined by the most eligible bachelors in Charleston.   

Edited by Chalby
Spelled Kathryn's name wrong
  • Love 14

There’ll be no blood tests for Thomas.  He has too many of the local judiciary in his pocket.  I am surprised he did any time for the coke, honestly.

• Love 6

Kathryn’s treatment of Jennifer was the lowest form of low. She has no empathy for anyone but herself, and as others have noted, she isn’t very affectionate with her own children. Don’t know if that’s the drugs to keep her off alcohol, or just how she is day-to-day.

• Love 11

Kathryn was awful to people in the past but clearly she is trying (and appears to be succeeding) to be a better person. I’m sure she still has a lot of room to grow but she has come a long way from last season and all of the previous seasons.

• Love 11
(edited)
6 hours ago, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't know where the episode thread is for tonight's finale, so I'll post here.

Kathryn seems ever so slightly under the influence of something at this Ball.  Slightly.

That's so shocking Because everyone else was Stone Cold Sober and on their Best Behavior.

* clutches pearls*

She was high on Zen and Adulting. 

What was Thomas high on? 

Edited by ozzy
Woke
  • Love 5
16 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

Kathryn’s treatment of Jennifer was the lowest form of low. She has no empathy for anyone but herself, and as others have noted, she isn’t very affectionate with her own children. Don’t know if that’s the drugs to keep her off alcohol, or just how she is day-to-day.

Empathy means everyone gets a second chance from their past behavior when trying and succeeding marvelously, despite the petty haters. 

• Love 1
4 hours ago, ozzy said:

Empathy means everyone gets a second chance from their past behavior when trying and succeeding marvelously, despite the petty haters. 

That's not what empathy means, but I do understand what it feels like to be anxious.  She looked like she'd "self-medicated" somehow to get through the night.  If someone were ready to give her a second chance they'd have been disappointed to see that. Kathryn needs to be off the show if social situations and battling it out with enemies are what's expected of her to maintain her place on the show. Her sobriety and relationship with her children are paramount to the show.

• Love 6

I am pretty sure whatever she is "on" is prescription, and legal and fine with her custody agreement. I'm not sure if I agree that Kathryn's treatment of Jennifer has really been that low. That lunch scene was kind of funny. I think Jennifer liked being part of the old Kathryn drama, and was trying to bring it at lunch and Kathryn just didn't bite. They are both friends that weren't really friends and now Kathryn can't even pretend to GAF. Which kind of cracked me up. 

It's interesting seeing how much Kathryn has grown. As she said last nights episode, it's been 5 years. She's not a perfect person, but she has had the biggest changes over the seasons. 

• Love 12
3 minutes ago, Heathrowe said:

I am pretty sure whatever she is "on" is prescription, and legal and fine with her custody agreement. I'm not sure if I agree that Kathryn's treatment of Jennifer has really been that low. That lunch scene was kind of funny. I think Jennifer liked being part of the old Kathryn drama, and was trying to bring it at lunch and Kathryn just didn't bite. They are both friends that weren't really friends and now Kathryn can't even pretend to GAF. Which kind of cracked me up. 

It's interesting seeing how much Kathryn has grown. As she said last nights episode, it's been 5 years. She's not a perfect person, but she has had the biggest changes over the seasons. 

17 minutes ago, zenme said:

That's not what empathy means, but I do understand what it feels like to be anxious.  She looked like she'd "self-medicated" somehow to get through the night.  If someone were ready to give her a second chance they'd have been disappointed to see that. Kathryn needs to be off the show if social situations and battling it out with enemies are what's expected of her to maintain her place on the show. Her sobriety and relationship with her children are paramount to the show.

Empathy means no judgement.

4 minutes ago, ozzy said:

Empathy means no judgement.

Empathy means understanding another’s emotions from their perspective. It doesn’t mean no judgment. I mean, I suppose when you put yourself in someone’s shoes there could be less judgement because you understand WHY they acted this way, but you can have empathy for someone’s predicament and still make the judgment that they’re an asshole (or whatever) nonetheless. I can watch a biography about a serial killer and have empathy for what he endured as a child to turn him into a monster, but you best believe I’m still going to judge his actions.

• Love 14

I know someone who is friends with her, the Kathryn we see on TV is not the private Kathryn. 

@HunterHunted, if you’re an alcoholic, the 12 step program is the best way to stay sober and in recovery. Again... been there and done that with someone. Going to rehab or detox, special groups, only works if there is consistent backup and feedback, that only AA can provide. One has to WANT to be clean and sober. She’s substituting prescription drugs, which she cannot stay on forever. One leads to another.

• Love 3
(edited)

And mind you, I'm not a clinician. I look at data, studies, and laws and design programs based on those things. But when we design these programs, there are always a ton of clinicians involved because I can do the analysis about why a certain treatment was much better at doing XYZ, but I don't know why or how it does it. And if doing XYZ is helpful for that disorder.

I also think Kathryn should finish college.

Edited by HunterHunted
  • Love 3
10 hours ago, Major Bigtime said:

I know someone who is friends with her, the Kathryn we see on TV is not the private Kathryn. 

@HunterHunted, if you’re an alcoholic, the 12 step program is the best way to stay sober and in recovery. Again... been there and done that with someone. Going to rehab or detox, special groups, only works if there is consistent backup and feedback, that only AA can provide. One has to WANT to be clean and sober. She’s substituting prescription drugs, which she cannot stay on forever. One leads to another.

Some friend.... I have a hard time believing that a friend of Kathryn’s ( or anyone) for that matter would divulge terrible rumors about someone they are close to on a regular basis.  That’s no friend.. sounds like an enemy with an ax to grind. 

• Love 18
(edited)
On 7/12/2018 at 8:43 PM, SuprSuprElevated said:

I don't know where the episode thread is for tonight's finale, so I'll post here.

Kathryn seems ever so slightly under the influence of something at this Ball.  Slightly.

She went off her meds and part of her diagnosis was anxiety.  She was probably prescribed xanax and an anti-depressant. Most anti-depressants take over 6 weeks to begin working, so the xanax was used to level her.  Chemically,  her body was adjusting to the new meds. She seemed lucid, yet slurred early on.  That is normal, especially if it had been less than a month. 

I have a lot of sympathy for her.  My mother went through the exact same thing.  Diagnosed with depression,  went off her meds after 6 months because "she felt better", then turned into someone I didn't recognize. Even worse than she was before the meds. 

Edited by CatMomma
  • Love 4
14 hours ago, BravoHo said:

Some friend.... I have a hard time believing that a friend of Kathryn’s ( or anyone) for that matter would divulge terrible rumors about someone they are close to on a regular basis.  That’s no friend.. sounds like an enemy with an ax to grind. 

On the episode thread, she said the friend was Jennifer Snowden, so that tells you what you need to know.

• Love 3
On 7/13/2018 at 11:19 AM, Major Bigtime said:

To quote an awesome Geico commercial, "That's not how this works.  That's not how any of this works."

Substance abuse is not a one size fits all. Mental illness is still viewed as a moral failing,  not a medical condition. Thus,  self medication,  because who wants to be labeled crazy? 

Had Kathryn been diagnosed with cancer,  nobody would bat an eye if she smoked pot. Or,  took too many xanax.  She is in pain,  after all. 

• Love 10
On 7/13/2018 at 11:19 AM, Major Bigtime said:

So are we seeing the cleaned up version of Kathryn or a more ratchet version?

3 hours ago, CatMomma said:

Mental illness is still viewed as a moral failing, not a medical condition. Thus, self medication, because who wants to be labeled crazy? 

Had Kathryn been diagnosed with cancer,  nobody would bat an eye if she smoked pot. Or,  took too many xanax.  She is in pain,  after all. 

It's so true. And because she's not so seriously ill as to require constant inpatient hospitalization, she's basically a "faker" trying to get high on the sly.

Even with patients who require constant inpatient hospitalization, there is still skepticism. I used to be involved with laws and program development for individuals who were not guilty by reason of insanity (NGRI). I was at a friend's house for Thanksgiving and found myself talking to his father about the work. The father said, "But they're all faking. Right?"

What we can and can't do for these patients in regards to medications, restraints, and treatments is a lot more limited than people realize. That these patients don't just walk out of facilities is a testiment to just how sick they are. You can lock facilities, but you can't restrain them unless they are a danger to self or others. So if they get out of the facility you can't do anything other than try to talk them back in or call the police and hope nothing goes wrong while they are outside. But when you see patient records of patients who are NGRI and have chewed off their own fingers or plucked out their eyes, tell me they aren't really sick.

• Love 5
On 7/13/2018 at 12:19 PM, Major Bigtime said:

There have been studies that show 12-step programs have the same success rate as no program at all (meaning the person quits on his/her own), so it is NOT true that those programs are the best way to stay in recovery. Each solution is unique to each individual.

• Love 10