Type keyword(s) to search

S02E02: Candy of the Year 2018.06.29

• Start Topic

Aww, poor Arthie finally thought she found a way to get out of her offensive stereotype gimmick, only for the Bities to steal her "transform into another character" idea.

Sam is definitely becoming a bigger dick so far, although at least he's trying to be something resembling a decent father to Justine.  If you squint...

Not surprised Debbie is getting push back from the boys.  I did like her bonding with Tamme.

Rhonda still having that mannequin with her is hilarious!

I don't think I'll ever tire of Alison Brie's over-the-top Russian accent.

• Love 9

I'm really rooting for Arthie to get to strip away her offensive stereotype this season. Hopefully it'll happen, because I think there's so many other characters she'd be great at. 

Sam is really, really bitter, isn't he? He blatantly punished Ruth, which makes sense but is also a dick move. He also isn't pleased with Debbie's producer status, so he's also pushing her away. It's an interesting layer to Sam, who will need to learn compromise at some point. Whether he will is the better question. It is interesting to also see him trying to be a dad to Justine, even if he isn't really doing a great job.

I really like Yolanda and am glad we got to know her better this episode. I like the casual revelation about her sexuality, and she had a good friendship chemistry with Ruth.

I gotta say, Chris Lowell has stepped up his game as Bash so far this season. His reaction shots are hilarious. It is a shame Bash and Sam never showed up to Debbie's dinner. I do love that Tamme showed up for Debbie's dinner; it's so great to see more of the women's interactions as friends. 

The fight sequences are still really awesome. I chuckled at Rhonda and "Thomas".

• Love 8

My second favorite part was Debbie being a boss at that meeting and giving the producer's wife Jodi a copy of the contract in case she had any ideas. My favorite part was Jodi then putting on a pair of eyeglasses as big as her own head to peruse said contract.

• Love 8
On 6/29/2018 at 2:45 AM, thuganomics85 said:

Sam is definitely becoming a bigger dick so far, although at least he's trying to be something resembling a decent father to Justine.  If you squint...

To me it's more like he regressed from the progress he made toward being a semi-decent guy in the last season. Unfortunately, Ruth is his target right now.

I wasn't sure about Yolanda, but this episode really made me like her.

• Love 3
On 6/30/2018 at 12:18 AM, JakeyJokes said:

My second favorite part was Debbie being a boss at that meeting and giving the producer's wife Jodi a copy of the contract in case she had any ideas. My favorite part was Jodi then putting on a pair of eyeglasses as big as her own head to peruse said contract.

That was great! I hope that it pays off later, like Jodi having some big idea or spotting something sketchy in the contract and telling Debbie about it. 

Poor Arthie was so close to getting rid of her hated character! I like Yolanda so far, she seems like a fun person to hang with, and Ruth really needs that.

Ruth's fake Russian accent will never ever get old. Ever. 

• Love 4
14 hours ago, tennisgurl said:

Ruth's fake Russian accent will never ever get old. Ever. 

What accent? In Soviet Union, everyone speaks the same. It is you puny Americans that can't even agree on how to talk. "United" States? Don't make me laugh.

• LOL 1
  • Love 17
(edited)

Hey, Keith is still the ref. Cool. He was one of the minor highlights of the first season.

So Sam had to replace Cherry, but he didn't have to replace Justine? Because she apparently quit too. And she seems to be having some issues, which I'm sure wrestling and hanging out with the other girls could help with. Marc Maron is selling the grumpy dad stuff well, and I'm enjoying their scenes together a lot. There was a real charm to them, in this episode.

Sam's being a complete dick to Ruth, and a complete child. And now he's trying to pit the girls against each other, because it makes him feel more powerful. He's hard to like, so far this season, at least in any scene where he's not with Justine. I feel like he's going to be more of a dick if Ruth does hook up with Russell.

Bash is trying so hard to sell all this stuff. He's become so much more of an integral character than I thought he would be. Not just the background money guy, but an involved, passionate part of the GLOW product. His nervous little giggle of "nipples!" cracked me up. As did "car pool. Yes. I've read about that."

I liked Yolanda more here. She does seem like she wants to learn, and is taking it as seriously as she can, given her preconceptions. The reveal that she's gay is interesting, because this "G-rated girl on girl" stuff now comes with the 'fear' of one competitor being hot for another. It's an aspect of pro-wrestling that isn't talked about much. Yes, there have been gay wrestling characters, playing up effeminate traits or making their opponents insecure. But there have also been gay wrestlers who were out (amongst their peers, at least), like Pat Patterson. I often wondered if other wrestlers were squeamish about getting in the ring with him. I imagine not, because wrestling is all about trusting your opponent, but it would be interesting to explore on the show.

Looks like Debbie putting herself above the rest of the girls isn't going down too well. Can't say I'm surprised. And neither Sam nor Bash are ready to take her seriously either. It was nice that Tammé showed up for the meal. And Kia Stevens is doing a really good job, considering this is her first acting job. 

Arthie's idea of killing off her character, and reinventing herself was pure pro-wrestling. It's a shame the Biddies stole it. And honestly, I still really don't care for them.

Alison Brie's Russian accent is so great. "I'm too rigid!"

Hey, Nerds! I remember them the first time around as well. Sadly.

Edited by Danny Franks
  • Love 3

Sam and Bash are so fucking rude. Not only are they being dicks about Debbie being a producer, but basic common courtesy says that if you have no intention of showing up to something, JUST SAY SO. Don't let Debbie prepare a meal for you and then have her sit around all night waiting for you assholes to show up. I'm glad that she and Tammé ended up having a good night together, but that doesn't excuse Sam and Bash being assholes and flaking without even calling to say so.

Sam continuing to punish Ruth because of his fragile ego is going to get old really fast.

Poor Arthie! She came up with a great way to stop doing that terrible character only to have the old biddies steal her idea.

I have to admit that I loved Breakin' so watching Ruth learn how to breakdance brought back memories of Kelly, Turbo, and Ozone.

I loved Bash's description of Nerds as Grape Nuts except all sugar and not healthy.

• Love 4

What is in those contracts? Why are Jenny and Ruth doing extra jobs managing the crowd?

Glad Keith is still around.

Hey, I don't understand the live taping. It's not airing live. They edit it. Why is it called live taping? And what's so special?

Did they completely trash the title sequence? That would be sad. 

Sam continuing to try to punish Ruth is petty and stupid. He's being too emotional. He shouldn't let his feelings get in the way of work.

Lol. I support the team dog or ferret.

"Nimble. Seductive. Ethnically neutral." XD

Yolanda is a lesbian? And a breakdancer? So cool. 

I love Tamme all glammed up. So many colors. Those earrings. Oh, 80's fashion. Glad she showed up to Debbie's so we didn't just see Debbie sitting alone all night waiting for those two jerks. I'm surprised Debbie hasn't gone over their heads yet. Someone needs to put Sam in his place. He's not Scorsese. He's just a cog in the machine.

Shitpope didn't have incredible music but I was surprised it was listenable. I expecting something like Mystik Spiral.

That was an intense wound. Why didn't he drive her to the hospital? She could have needed stitches.

"I don't go to school." "Right. That's another thing that's going to change." XD

Melrose is still not a real person but Jackie Tohn is so good at playing her. Can't believe this is the girl from Platinum Hit. Shady that they stole Arthie's idea to become Nuke and Ozone but it's so much better than the biddies.

Thomas is... chef's kiss.

26 minutes ago, aradia22 said:

Hey, I don't understand the live taping. It's not airing live. They edit it. Why is it called live taping? And what's so special?

"Taped before a live audience" is supposed to mean that they don't enhance the reactions, such as by using a laugh track. Or using an audience that's not full of paid performers. It makes things more "real," even if the episode is edited prior to air.

• Useful 1
  • Love 1