Type keyword(s) to search

OLTL Fic: Other Lives to Live

• Start Topic

I was just wondering because the site where I posted fic before doesn't seem to be up anymore.  So I could either reload it to another site and then link it here or just post the actual stories in here.  Thoughts?

(edited)

Can I just say here that I love Dandesun's story ' Homecoming'  she has fixed so many wrongs.

Edited by hcs
  • Love 2

I don't have an account at FF.net so I can't leave feedback there, but I want you all to know I'm appreciating the fic!  

I think you can leave reviews as a guest.  I get a load of anon reviews for my stories.

TeeVee329, I blame you for this. I've read plenty of fanfic, but have never written any, except for some half-finished Lois & Clark stories I wrote back in the fourth grade that will thankfully never see the light of day. (Although, knowing my mom, those notebooks are probably in a box somewhere in my parents' storage. Eesh. At least it's not the internet.) But after reading your fic, I've actually been inspired to write one. I'm supposed to be using any inspiration I find to write the novel I've been working on for three years! It's all your fault, :)

This was gonna be Kish and Sierra Mist (no plot, I'm not great at plot), but Layla wanted to talk to her pal Oliver. She has TeenJess issues. I guess that means so do I?

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10465758/1/Beer-and-Babies

I'd love feedback!

Melgaypet, you're making me blush, I am beyond flattered that my little story inspired you!  That first chapter of "Our Life To Live" was actually the first piece of fan fiction I ever wrote, because I was so upset when the show axed Kish and it gave me a blank canvas to brainstorm and explore all the stories I feel like they missed out on with them. 

And considering how wonderful "Beer and Babies" is, I am more than happy to shoulder the blame lol.  I am going to post more comments on the story itself, but I hope it is the first of many!

And while I'm doling out compliments, Dandesun, the efficient and spot-on evicerating of characters like Kelly and John and Rex within "A Sort of Homecoming" has been an absolute delight.  And you managed to squeeze in Fish (if I'm being greedy, I'd love to see a scene where Todd encounters Kyle and they talk Rebecca)!  Really enjoying it.

• Love 1

And you managed to squeeze in Fish (if I'm being greedy, I'd love to see a scene where Todd encounters Kyle and they talk Rebecca)!  Really enjoying it.

If you want Todd and Kyle talking about Rebecca, I'd advise you to read Cimz' trilogy. I'd advise anyone to read it anyway. I believe it's the second in the triad "Diamond in the Sky" that has Todd and Kyle interacting and Rebecca comes into it. To be honest, I thought she did it so well that I never felt the need to go there myself. In fact, Fish is also present in some chapters and he and Kyle have a moment or two there as well.

The three stories are "Over the Candlestick" "Diamond in the Sky" and "The Green Goblin." They're at Fanfic.net and I recommend them highly. :)

• Love 1
(edited)

Dandesun and MSquared, thank you for the recommendation because "Diamond in the Sky" was a great read.  Some good Kish sprinkled in - the Todd/Kyle interaction about Rebecca I'd wanted to read (with Kyle, as he did at one point with Jared and Natalie, giving Todd the option of having a different doctor and Todd briefly musing about an alternate reality where Kyle was his brother-in-law), Fish being adorably overprotective of Kyle and Kyle good-naturedly dismissing it, and the guilty gut punch when Jack sees tiny Sierra Rose as a flower girl.  But it was also a really good showcase for Starr, Adventure Biologist (I love how these Manning Family stories quickly banish Cole and James in favor of Travis) and Schuyler.  And I liked Cris and Layla's wedding being a major, "canvas-wide" event!

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 2

That trilogy is wonderful, thanks for recommending it. I loved "Diamond in the Sky" for all the reasons TeeVee329 listed (plus that great scene between Starr and the Buke twins), but I think I like "The Green Goblin" even more. So much Manning Family awesomeness, plus Sam and Bree as BFF's and partners in crime! They fixed Dani. Jack and Jamie Vega work for me.  I loved the tiny touch of Talia having survived being stabbed by Powell. Also, Herb Callison!

• Love 1

I haven't read any of these, I admit, and I should, so I will, I promise. But yeah - I always believed Carlo Hesser would never have allowed anyone to harm Talia. He would've spirited her away himself.

• Love 1

That's the beauty of fan-fic... you get to fix everything you hated. I love Cimz' trilogy so much, I love how she had Bree and Sam be 'best cousins'  but I particularly liked how Sam was so annoyed by her 'Hi, I'm Bree Lovett' at school after Brody adopted her. It cracked me up.

I've given Jack a bunch of friends from his soccer team... not gone into a LOT of detail, sure, but enough that Starr keeps asking why his friends all have weird names like 'Logan' and 'England.' (England is just a nickname, his real name is St. John and that even gets explained.) And I admit, I'm also one that has steered Starr back to Travis and her Adventure Biologist path where she should have been all along. (I will never be okay with the singing crap.)

I also made Dani Ross' kid. Ross got done the dirty, dammit. And he was there for her birth and raised her, Ross was Dani's father!

Cimz kept the whole 'Gigi's dead' mess and she did a great job with it. I fucking hated that whole storyline so I followed through with Jack wanting to go let 'Shane' out... only it was Gigi. I thought it was a horrible storyline from start to finish so I not only wiped that out, but I did have Jack get in trouble for wrongful imprisonment and he's on probation in the story. PLUS, it didn't give Victor a means of having Jack 'owe' him for being the Worst Ever and I also didn't kill off Victor so he could just be a douche and alienate Jack all on his own.

That meant that Jack and Todd would have opportunities to talk things out. I think my personal favorite moment between them is when Jack doesn't understand WHY Todd gave him away and Todd says he's glad because he shouldn't understand, that's how messed up it was.

Homecoming, though, as much as it's been about Todd coming home has been far more about Blair's issues and getting a lot of shit out between her and Todd. And that just furthers my point... Blair didn't get a lot of attention on the show when Todd came back. We didn't get to know what she was thinking or feeling about things for long stretches of time and even before Todd came back that was an issue. Blair matters to me, so I like getting in her head...

Fanfic is pure wish fulfillment... that's the fun of it.

• Love 3
(edited)

That's the beauty of fan-fic... you get to fix everything you hated.

And you've done an excellent job of fixing stupid shit from what I've read, Dandesun.  For example, I loved the chapter where Blair coolly drops Tomas like a bad habit once she knows the full story about what he did to Todd.  I remember you talked about that a lot over at TWoP so it was neat reading your vision of how that scene might play out. 

With Kish, it's a little different.  There were on the show for such a small amount of time, there's less stupid knots to untangle, it's all just expanding on their story...

...and speaking of which, hey, what's this?  The second chapter of my (stalled) Kyle/Fish ongoing, "Our Life to Live"!

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10393795/2/Our-Life-To-Live

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 4
(edited)

It's a sickness, y'all.

Well then I hope you never get well lol!  "Family" is off to a wonderful start!

In other news, I won't say I'm...surprised...but was still a little taken aback by how much Marty/Todd and Marty/Victor fan fic there is out there.

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1
(edited)

Oh you saw that writer's...work. Yeah, she has an interesting take on that whole mess. Never seems to have given up on Malone's fantasy.

Edited by MSquared
  • Love 2
(edited)

To be fair, I didn't really read any of the stories, but some of the story descrptions caught my eye and made me go, "Wait.  What?  Ew!".  To each their own.

Edited by TeeVee329

Hey kids - I posted a Kish one-shot on FanFiction.net a few weeks ago, but forgot to mention it here!  I wrote it back in 2010 and it was inspired by the framed version of the famous Kish college picture (the one Kyle kept in his wallet) that showed up when Allison was holding Roxy and Sierra Rose hostage in Kyle's apartment:

https://www.fanfiction.net/s/10599500/1/Picture-This

kishcollframed.png

Edited by TeeVee329
  • Love 1

Oof. You would put me on the spot, damn you, TeeVee329! *shakes fist*

I know I haven't updated lately, but I haven't forgotten my story or stopped working on it, but I've been writing fun, dramatic stuff where Things Get Crazy. I still have to go back and write (and re-write) all the set-up, which is both kinda boring and way harder than I thought. Maybe I should cut actual soap writers a little more slack. *considers* Naaaah.

Off to read your latest chapter!

• Love 2

I'm not sure how it happened or how I didn't notice, but I only published half the chapter yesterday! The second half works well enough as its own chapter, so I guess I have two updates in two days!

That's funny, when I got to the end of yesterday's update (so good and Kish-y, btw), I was like, "Nooo!  I want to know if Kyle knew!  I want to know if Roxy told him about Schuyler!".  And now today's installment leaps right to that, thanks for looking out lol! 

• Love 1