Type keyword(s) to search

The Blotter Presents

• Start Topic

I was also able to subscribe via Overcast this morning (I think Overcast pulls info directly from the iTunes feed, so you don't need to do anything special, just wanted to give folks a heads up that it was also available through that app!).

Hey, folks. If you'd like to hear us talk about a particular true-crime property, whether it's new/current or old-school, here's the place to leave suggestions. You can also email me, sarah at previously dot tv, or ping me on twitter at blotterpresents, with your topic wishlists. 

I'd love to hear your thoughts on one of my favorite oldies but goodies, @Sarah D. Bunting - City Confidential. Many a weekend was wasted by me watching marathons of this show 'back in the day' - Paul Winfield was my guy, and as much as I love Keith David, I don't think the show ever recovered from Winfield's death. I loved the David "Stringbean" Atkinson episode on Nashville, that's probably my favorite one.

There's a Winfield-voice-clone doing a show on ID, and I watch it on the weekends whenever I can catch it!

11 minutes ago, swimmyfish said:

This is a super-minor point, but did anyone remember what the Fox version of Hard Copy was? That's been bugging me for days!

Was it A Current Affair? I came up with this by literally googling "fox version of hard copy in the 1990s" where I also learned that Hard Copy was syndicated (which I did remember)...

I'd love to hear what you think of Shadow of Truth. It's on Netflix, a 3 part series. It's subtitled so I don't see a lot of conversation about it but I think the approach is interesting and the crime is nightmare fuel.

That Law & Order episode is one of my favorites, although I did not know until today that it was based on one particular case - as I recall, there was a rash of pit bull attacks around that time, so I figured that L&O combined and sensationalized them into one. It's strange that the fictionalized account is less salacious than what actually happened.

American Experience did an episode on Jim Jones several years ago that I found incredibly boring, so if you know of something else that goes in-depth on Jones but is more interesting I'd be happy to hear that.

Or, if you really like that AE, I'd love to hear why. 

A couple of excellent made for tv true crime miniseries/movies from back in the day: Cruel Doubt (starring Gwyneth and mom Blythe Danner) and Bitter Blood/In the Best of Families: Marriage, Pride & Madness starring Kelly McGillis and Harry Hamlin. I'm sort of obsessed with both of these cases as they went down in my home state of North Carolina and in the case of Bitter Blood, in my hometown.

I'd love to see you go down the American Justice rabbit role with two cases of yesteryear which in retrospect now seem a little less clear cut: Darlie Routier (Skip Hollandsworth had a great in-depth piece for Texas Monthly about how she may not actually be guilty) and the Haysom murders in Lynchburg, Virginia where the daughter Elizabeth Haysom and her boyfriend Jens Soering were found guilty. A lot of lingering doubts in that case as reported recently in the Washington Post Magazine: https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/in-1985-a-gruesome-double-murder-rocked-virginia-was-the-wrong-man-convicted/2017/03/07/44c60742-e8b2-11e6-80c2-30e57e57e05d_story.html?utm_term=.de8337c6a619

Episode 2 led me to google the Diane Whipple case, and I came across a Prisontalk forum with a woman claiming to be the girlfriend of Schneider from that case. Sooo much side-eye. 

So maybe an episode on the women who marry famous convicted criminals would be interesting? I remember reading the book on Richard Ramirez in high school and being fascinated with the story of his courtship and marriage from behind bars.

Great discussion of Fatal Vision. Like Sarah, I run deep with this one having first read the book when I was a teen and then following the case (and its many twists, turns, and spin-offs) over the years. Growing up in North Carolina, it was one of those ever present/true crime canon cases. And like Sarah said, MacDonald's unbelievable narcissism makes for an enduring fascination. He's still at it all these years later and so many of the original players have popped up with interesting tales to tell. Here is one of my favorite long-reads from the Washington Post Magazine in 2012.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/magazine/since-1979-brian-murtagh-has-fought-to-keep-convicted-murderer-jeffrey-macdonald-in-prison/2012/12/05/3c8bc1c6-2da8-11e2-89d4-040c9330702a_story.html?utm_term=.df67a0d25407

Hmm. I don't think it's too controversial, but I hesitate to expand the mandate to include terrorism. However: there are some documentaries/properties about crimes adjacent/related to 9/11, like identity fraud, that might suit. I'll revisit it when the anniversary gets closer.

Looks like 006 will be looking at the L.A. riots; lots of docs coming out to commemorate the 25th anniversary.

I, too, have read Fatal Vision I-don't-know-how-many-times, so this was great.

This was the first Blotter Presents that I listened to, and my very very first thought at the beginning? "MY GOD THIS IS WORSE THAN JAZZ"!

I didn't watch the American Justice so I don't know if it's mentioned in it but I remember at the time that Knoller argued that Whipple smelling a certain way (either because she had her period or because she was a lesbian- but something lady part related) basically made the dogs go insane. I remember clutching my pearls over that one. 

So many things in this case make it so sordid and perfect for true crime- Aryan brotherhood killer dogs, work from home attorneys, adopting inmate for three way, the lesbian lacrosse coach. 

Seriously, though, what a horrific way to die. 

I'm watching the Casey Anthony specials now on ID.  If I had to pick a "favorite" person in that whole case, which sounds really weird, it would be the judge.  Belvin Perry managed to keep the courtroom focused on what happened to little Caylee and not on the media zoo outside.  It couldn't have been easy for him.  

Great episode! I had only a vague recollection of the details of the Baylor case, but lo and behold when I was telling my husband about the podcast and the must-watch doc he nonchalantly reminded me that he knows one of the players involved in the case! Harvey Thomas, whose apartment the gun was found outside and allegedly made a threat against Patrick Dennehy, played at the university that employs my husband. At that time, he did some tutoring for the b-ball team. Thomas played only one season at husband's u then made a couple of other stop-overs before landing at Baylor. Crazy, huh?

Watch the other two parts of the Casey Anthony story. They detail more of how the defense brought in Reasonable Doubt in a major way. Part 3 deals with after the trial and was the most interesting.