Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E03 Episode 3 2018.07.01

• Start Topic

(edited)

Ok Helen is played by a 53yo actress. Maybe they should have cast someone who looks at least 10 years younger. She doesn't. 

Also I gasped during Noah's storyline. How dare the writers do this.

I do not understand Vik's parents' reaction at all. 

Edited by DiabLOL
  • Love 7
12 minutes ago, DiabLOL said:

My take is that Vik's mother hates Helen and, in addition to being shocked, was livid that Vik had told Helen but not her. She didn't want to cause a scene at the gala, and the only way she could keep from losing it was to leave immediately.

20 minutes ago, DiabLOL said:

Ok Helen is played by a 53yo actress. Maybe they should have cast someone who looks at least 10 years younger. She doesn't. 

Yes, Helen would have to be under 45 for the baby storyline to be at all believable.

• Love 13
1 hour ago, DiabLOL said:

I suddenly realized that this is probably why they introduced the young neighbor. She seems the ideal candidate to volunteer to have Vik's baby. I hate it already. 

• Love 22
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

My take is that Vik's mother hates Helen and, in addition to being shocked, was livid that Vik had told Helen but not her. She didn't want to cause a scene at the gala, and the only way she could keep from losing it was to leave immediately.

THANK YOU! That actually makes sense! Vik's explanation did not at all make sense to me. Also, I first thought he hated Helen as well but then he explained why he was so upset with her. I can't stand her. What the hell is her problem? He really did ask her to just shut up for one evening and she was way out of line both in his eyes and his mom's.

1 hour ago, meira.hand said:

I suddenly realized that this is probably why they introduced the young neighbor. She seems the ideal candidate to volunteer to have Vik's baby. I hate it already. 

You know I can totally see the writers doing this too. I wouldn't put anything idiotic past them at this point. 

• Love 8
1 hour ago, babs1226 said:

Does anyone know why the first scene was of Noah, Cole & Anton in a car in PA?  Was it a preview?

Since the start of the season, each episode starts with a short scene where Cole, Noah and later joined by Anton are searching for an unnamed woman (probably Alison). Its seems to be the current time while the rest of the episode happens some week before. The background is unexplained but each episode advances the scene a little. I expect this mystery will continue until both timelines converge. They may even drag it till the end of the season. In this sense its a preview, but within the story telling itself.

• Love 13
37 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

ugh Noah's 'Dangerous Minds' storyline...and of course the principal can't resist him. 

And she actually said:  "If I were a white guy... if I were you, Noah Solloway, with your... with your looks and your credentials, nobody would give a shit about my disciplinary practices." 

UGH!!

• Love 22
40 minutes ago, Armchair Critic said:

ugh Noah's 'Dangerous Minds' storyline...and of course the principal can't resist him. 

Right?! It was already kinda going there last week I didn't think they'd push it even further yet here we are. I was yelling at my tv when he "saved the day" at the student walkout.

• Love 7
2 hours ago, meira.hand said:

Since the start of the season, each episode starts with a short scene where Cole, Noah and later joined by Anton are searching for an unnamed woman (probably Alison). Its seems to be the current time while the rest of the episode happens some week before. The background is unexplained but each episode advances the scene a little. I expect this mystery will continue until both timelines converge. They may even drag it till the end of the season. In this sense its a preview, but within the story telling itself.

Cole told the woman with whom he was talking on the phone that they're in Pennsylvania and should be back in New York soon. The young male teacher who keeps sucking up to Noah said Anton would have been at Princeton by now if his mother hadn't made him fail his senior year. So my guess is that Cole went to LA to look for Alison because he thought she ran to Noah, Cole met up with Noah in LA and realized Alison wasn't there, Cole and Noah decided to road-trip back to the East Coast together and search for Alison along the way (perhaps she left a paper trail), and Noah is taking Anton with him because Noah waved his magic penis wand and made it so that Anton can go to Princeton after all.

If it turns out I'm right, I want a writing gig on the next season. ;)

• Love 24
1 minute ago, subina167 said:

Up until tonight, I liked Vik. I feel terribly bad for him but asking Helen to have a baby is simply unfair. He will never know that baby. Being saddled with an infant, she will not be able to move on. Don't like this storyline.

Yes a new mom/widow at 53!

10 minutes ago, preeya said:

And she actually said:  "If I were a white guy... if I were you, Noah Solloway, with your... with your looks and your credentials, nobody would give a shit about my disciplinary practices." 

UGH!!

I'm laughing so hard at your highlighting! I was all gee maybe I need to clean my tv screen because I'm not seeing it myself!

• Love 7

My goodness, they focus on the most mundane and boring plotlines. I do not want to see Noah teach school or have teacher meetings. I don't think any show has EVER traveled so far from its original premise. 

• Love 22

I almost choked on my Corona.  Was so hoping Janelle would be able to resist Noah's ..charm.  She's so gorgeous, but only human after all.

Helen is so much in denial.   Not unusual for a terminal patient to have such family members who put them through hell in their last months.

• Love 5

So the theme was white privilege. While I appreciate the message, it is not why I started watching this show. 

Damn Vic. 

I am going to give him the benefit of the doubt. He just found out that morning. 

But no way in hell would I have a kid for him. Sorry dude you don't get to.have everything that you want just cuz you are dying. 

Noah... Ugh. I hate, hate this storyline. I cannot even form coherent  thoughts. 

• Love 12
9 hours ago, preeya said:

UGH!!

I laughed at the “looks” part too, but she’s not wrong about him being treated differently. Also, given that teachers are still mostly women (I think) Noah would stand out as a good looking man.

9 hours ago, subina167 said:

Up until tonight, I liked Vik. I feel terribly bad for him but asking Helen to have a baby is simply unfair. He will never know that baby. Being saddled with an infant, she will not be able to move on. Don't like this storyline.

It is unfair, but he just got a death sentence, so he may not be rational. Ultimately, that neighbor girl will be the one to get pregnant so I guess that will work out for everyone. I was afraid that he would have an affair with Whitney (no evidence, just because a fertile womb is needed) so this seems like a better option.

• Love 4

Just watching Helen gives me anxiety. She’s the most unhinged person on this show and it’s not pleasant to watch. I don’t mind watching stories where characters struggle but her actions just seem so unnatural. The way she talks to the therapist, I mean why bother going, she never answers his questions, never does what he is asking and it just seems like a waste of time and money. Tell me again why this young handsome successful doctor loves her?

And Noah. Ugh. Sure Noah encourage the kids to all go protest and then when it turns into a riot take no responsibility. 

I hate all these characters and I loved season 1 of this show so much that I feel compelled to stick it out but I’m questioning even that at this point. 

• Love 19

Well, it looks like the earthquake that Helen was having premonitions about turns out to be losing Vik.  Another thing happening to her that she cannot control. It's gonna be a tough ride for her this season.

• Love 3
11 hours ago, preeya said:

UGH!!

Honestly, I think a rich white douchebag like Noah coming to an urban school with mostly students of color, and suspending everyone in sight, would probably cause a lot more controversy than Janelle doing it.

Of all the ways this show could explore racism, that's how they chose to do it?

• Love 7

If Vik wanted a baby, he shouldn't have married Helen.  I thought what he said to her was terrible - he showed no concern that she is LOSING HER HUSBAND.  They didn't act like a couple.

RE: the cancer.  They didn't tell us what stage etc, probably don't know after four hours at the hospital.  Also, survival rates that are reported by the American Cancer Society are based on old surveys - a person with access to state-of-the-art care (Vik) has much better odds than Dr. Google tells you.  So he could be around for a few years. That said, he's probably not going to be an old man.  (Cancer survivor here.)

Noah - just no.  

Mare Winningham next week, could be good.  Unless her plot point is going to be that $2 million for the Lobster Roll would pay for reacquiring a multi-acre ranch in Montauk?  That's what a 3 bedroom colonial would cost.

• Love 4

Helen really crossed a line. I was thinking: how DARE she tell Vic's mother without his permission? And then she offers up: "She is your mother." 

I had an awful relationship with my mother and never told her anything. If one of my friends went over my head (within some fantasy relationship they created in their own head) and told my mother anything, that would do it. It is nobody's call to make except Vic's. 

• Love 10
On 6/25/2018 at 2:09 PM, N. Bluth said:

Putting aside the real US law and just sticking to what we were presented with the four corners of the episode, Luisa could get a green card by enrolling in school. (Source: Luisa). So, why not sign up for some classes at Suffolk County Community College, and be on her way? She might even be able to qualifying for in-state tuition. Would it perhaps put off her plans to immediately do hospitality work in Miami with the Chinese? Hey Luisa--we all have dreams that get deferred. I believe Langston Hughes even wrote a poem about it. 

That, or she can rail instead against "this fucking country" (her words) for not giving her a driver's license and, apparently, legal status to do what she wants on demand, rendering her as helpless as a concubine in the face of Cole's demands.  Whatever works for her. I know what I would pick. 

On a different note, my husband and I, who both grew up on Long Island, had no idea where that diner where Alison and Five Months Sober guy were eating. There is no highway structure like the one behind FMSG's head anywhere in eastern Suffolk County. It's very flat out there. There are no major highway intersections. The diner looked like it somewhere in the outer NYC boroughs, like Queens. Does anyone know where Alison's job is supposed to be located? Sometimes I feel like these show runners don't even attempt to understand Long Island's actual physical features.

Hey, when Cole caught that kid "freebasing" lol, why did the kid run? If the kid truly thinks Cole in in no position to bust him for anything, why run? Oh yeah--drah-mah.

This whole episode felt very claustrophobic to me. I never thought I'd be saying this, but I can't wait to return to LA (hanging head in shame).

2 hours ago, yellowjacket said:

If Vik wanted a baby, he shouldn't have married Helen.  I thought what he said to her was terrible - he showed no concern that she is LOSING HER HUSBAND.  They didn't act like a couple.

RE: the cancer.  They didn't tell us what stage etc, probably don't know after four hours at the hospital.  Also, survival rates that are reported by the American Cancer Society are based on old surveys - a person with access to state-of-the-art care (Vik) has much better odds than Dr. Google tells you.  So he could be around for a few years. That said, he's probably not going to be an old man.  (Cancer survivor here.)

Noah - just no.  

Mare Winningham next week, could be good.  Unless her plot point is going to be that $2 million for the Lobster Roll would pay for reacquiring a multi-acre ranch in Montauk?  That's what a 3 bedroom colonial would cost.

I don't think Vik ever seriously thought about having a baby until he got the bad news. And I also don't think that the quickie in the kitchen was about love or lust. Vik is a mama's boy. He's now bent on leaving a part of him to Dragon Lady without any regard for Helen. I've seen this happen in real life.

Noah and Janelle and the teacher/savior bit? Oh please. Kill the storyline.

• Love 12
9 hours ago, RedheadZombie said:

I'm just really confused about Vik's parents.  I thought Priya was a Hindu Indian, but now his father is from Beirut and has an Arabic name?

I didn't find that odd. A lot of Indians live outside of India. Priya could have been working or studying in Beirut when she met Abdul. It could also be that both Priya and Abdul are Indian, their marriage was opposed by their families because she is Hindu and he is Muslim, and they left India so they could be together. I have a friend whose parents have a similar story.

• Love 3
3 hours ago, yellowjacket said:

I don't think Vik and Helen are married. 

Until they said it was late-stage pancreatic cancer, I was on Helen's side. But pancreatic cancer is tough, especially late-stage. 
"While pancreatic cancer survival rates have been improving from decade to decade, the disease is still considered largely incurable. According to the American Cancer Society, for all stages of pancreatic cancer combined, the one-year relative survival rate is20%, and the five-year rate is 7%."  Prognosis - Hirshberg Foundation for Pancreatic Cancer Research

• Love 8

#teamvic

I started watching this frustrating AF show because I felt for Helen.

When Mr. Keaton asked her "who she could stand to lose or whatever"

I know that bitch was thinking about Noah. 

If Vic dies, I'm done. 

• Love 2
14 minutes ago, chabelisaywow said:

#teamvic

I started watching this frustrating AF show because I felt for Helen.

When Mr. Keaton asked her "who she could stand to lose or whatever"

I know that bitch was thinking about Noah. 

If Vic dies, I'm done. 

That's Dr. Keaton nowadays.

I agree she thought about Noah.  She got Noah to do prison time for her; bitch needs to keep him around.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, chocolatine said:

I didn't find that odd. A lot of Indians live outside of India. Priya could have been working or studying in Beirut when she met Abdul. It could also be that both Priya and Abdul are Indian, their marriage was opposed by their families because she is Hindu and he is Muslim, and they left India so they could be together. I have a friend whose parents have a similar story.

I guess what would be odder (to me) is if Abdul is indeed Muslim.  I would be quite surprised that a Hindu Indian would marry a Muslim.  I'm sure some do, and perhaps Shia and Sunnis do, and Jewish Israelis may even marry Palestinians.    

The "odd" part to me is on the writers, as it made me wonder if they understand these issues.   

• Love 5
On ‎7‎/‎1‎/‎2018 at 4:57 PM, DiabLOL said:

Also I gasped during Noah's storyline. How dare the writers do this.

The writers are ignoring the history of the show, and it's only in it's fourth season!  This very episode (or maybe the last?) it was mentioned that Helen was married to Noah for 25 years.  She was already divorced when 6 y/o Joanie was conceived.  So Helen married Noah more than 30 years ago.  Add to it that they married after college, and Helen is comfortably in her fifth decade. 

The only way the story will make sense is if Helen had not already entered menopause, and she uses a donor egg.  This is still on a time table in which Vik could be dead before Helen even conceives.  The storyline is insane.  Helen is already struggling with imagined earthquakes, and it would be a disaster to add the hormonal treatment.  I'm guessing the point is a Helen breakdown, and maybe they don't want the audience to be too sad that Vik is dying.

23 hours ago, meira.hand said:

And how does such a young woman, who apparently devotes her life to yoga and alcohol, afford a multi-million dollar pad in that area?  I know it's a minor issue, but I wish they had at least mentioned that she's from family money.  When the writing is unworthy, it turns the small plot holes into craters.

• Love 6
17 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

And how does such a young woman, who apparently devotes her life to yoga and alcohol, afford a multi-million dollar pad in that area?  I know it's a minor issue, but I wish they had at least mentioned that she's from family money.  When the writing is unworthy, it turns the small plot holes into craters.

In the first episode, Vic & Helen were talking about a neighbor & trying to figure out which famous actress her mother is. I *think* it was her, so I'm assuming her mom has the money.

• Love 5
15 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

I guess what would be odder (to me) is if Abdul is indeed Muslim.  I would be quite surprised that a Hindu Indian would marry a Muslim.  I'm sure some do, and perhaps Shia and Sunnis do, and Jewish Israelis may even marry Palestinians.    

The "odd" part to me is on the writers, as it made me wonder if they understand these issues.   

Vik's last name is Ullah, which is traditionally a Muslim name, but his father could also be Christian (Lebanon has a sizable Christian minority) or secular. Hindus and Muslims do inter-marry, as do Muslims and Jews. The cultural and political conflicts do exist, but in reality it's just people living their lives and loving who they love.

It does seem odd that the writers would come up with an elaborate backstory for Vik's parents if they don't plan to expand on it. Perhaps in a later episode, Priya will tell Helen how much she had to sacrifice to be with the man she loves, as another rebuke to Helen.

• Love 8
19 hours ago, chocolatine said:

Cole told the woman with whom he was talking on the phone that they're in Pennsylvania and should be back in New York soon. The young male teacher who keeps sucking up to Noah said Anton would have been at Princeton by now if his mother hadn't made him fail his senior year. So my guess is that Cole went to LA to look for Alison because he thought she ran to Noah, Cole met up with Noah in LA and realized Alison wasn't there, Cole and Noah decided to road-trip back to the East Coast together and search for Alison along the way (perhaps she left a paper trail), and Noah is taking Anton with him because Noah waved his magic penis wand and made it so that Anton can go to Princeton after all.

If it turns out I'm right, I want a writing gig on the next season. ;)

The woman Cole spoke with is Athena, Alison's mother.

I just can't see a road-trip from California to New York.  First, it would be a psychotic idea for Cole and Noah to be trapped together that length of time, but also because it's time intensive.  But what we've seen so far has some comical elements, so who knows?

• Love 1
2 minutes ago, chocolatine said:

Vik's last name is Ullah, which is traditionally a Muslim name, but his father could also be Christian (Lebanon has a sizable Christian minority) or secular. Hindus and Muslims do inter-marry, as do Muslims and Jews. The cultural and political conflicts do exist, but in reality it's just people living their lives and loving who they love.

It does seem odd that the writers would come up with an elaborate backstory for Vik's parents if they don't plan to expand on it. Perhaps in a later episode, Priya will tell Helen how much she had to sacrifice to be with the man she loves, as another rebuke to Helen.

That's really what struck me as odd.  I hope it's beyond someone thinking it would look pretty to have Priya wear traditional Indian garb with a Bindi on her forehead.

They've put more detail into Vik's parents than Helen's.  And like you said, why do that if it's not meant to be expanded upon.

• Love 2
(edited)
On ‎01‎/‎07‎/‎2018 at 11:04 PM, meira.hand said:

I think you're absoutely right. But i hope they skip the "volunteer" part and have Vik cheat on Helen because he doesn't care about anything else anymore.

Edited by Kimmel77
  • Love 7
(edited)
13 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

The woman Cole spoke with is Athena, Alison's mother.

I just can't see a road-trip from California to New York.  First, it would be a psychotic idea for Cole and Noah to be trapped together that length of time, but also because it's time intensive.  But what we've seen so far has some comical elements, so who knows?

I thought Cole said "Deena", but Athena makes more sense.

You can drive from LA to NY in 4-5 days, especially with multiple drivers taking turns. If they have reason to believe that Alison is traveling across the country as well, maybe based on her credit card transactions, it doesn't seem implausible for them to try to find her that way. After all, they both fell in love with Alison and her damsel in distress act, so of course they'd both jump at the chance to "rescue" her. I'm only surprised that hot VA guy isn't joining them.

8 minutes ago, RedheadZombie said:

That's really what struck me as odd.  I hope it's beyond someone thinking it would look pretty to have Priya wear traditional Indian garb with a Bindi on her forehead.

Vik's full name is Vikram Ullah, Hindu first name and Muslim last name, so the writers must have decided that before they introduced his parents. I just don't really understand why.

Edited by chocolatine
  • Love 1
(edited)
20 hours ago, preeya said:

UGH!!

I unashamedly find Dominic West very attractive.  But I've always preferred a more rugged handsome than pretty boy.  Joshua Jackson, like Dominic West, is conventionally handsome, but to me they are both hot.

While it's irritating to you that everyone seems to fall for Noah, Alison is also written that way.  Helen, who's reasonably attractive, was said to have been able to have any man she wanted.  Max lusted after her for decades, and Vik, who was swiping left and right for hookups and initially written to be a very shallow person, throws it all away to financially support Helen and raise Helen's children.

I kind of like this part.  Nobody's a raving beauty, the men aren't beefcakes walking around shirtless, everyone is very flawed, and the main characters are in their late 30's to 50's.  There are no perfect parents, there used to be more realistic housing, and the kids were all brats.

Edited by RedheadZombie
verb conjugation
  • Love 16