Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Sharna Burgess

• Start Topic

1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

If they aren't a couple then Boner is a d-bag and Sharna is a dummy for supporting him. Nuff said.

Or it was unintentional (which is honestly what it looks like to me) and Sharna is upset that her partner is being attacked partially on her supposed behalf.

They've both said it was unintentional. For me, that's enough. I wasn't going to vote for Bonner anyways. *shrug*

As for calling people stupid, sure, it wasn't a politic move. But she'd had 6 seconds of video go viral and people who don't even watch the show grabbing pitchforks and torches. She might have been a tad bit upset and not used her best public relations judgment.

Also note she isn't just dealing with fans at this point. She's dealing with people who are using that video for their own commentaries on society.

Generally unless someone involved says differently, I'm going to apply Hanlon's Razor: "Don't assume bad intentions over neglect and misunderstanding." (Also sometimes summarised as "Never attribute to malice that which is adequately explained by stupidity.")

• Love 4

Unfortunately this early bad press will taint the couple for the season. Unless he gets raves from the judges, they ain't gonna last very long. I like Sharna, and her choreography is fresh. Sad that this happened, intentional or not. Public opinion counts for so much on DWTS.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, RedFiat said:

Boner won't win, for sure.  But I do think he will go farther than he should. Why: because he's a cute boy, and if anyone remotely ships this team he'll stick around. 

• Love 1

I can't stand Sharna and her horrible hair and trashy vibe, so I hope she is off the show soon.  But after watching the video, I saw no groping or grabbing.  His hand simply dangled in front of her barely there "shorts" for a couple of seconds.

• Love 2

The middle America and country vote will get him further than need be, but all the blushing and sexual innuendos reads to me like Sharna knows he won't win and this is the angle she wants to pull because she's never gotten to do the "showmance" angle yet.

• Love 1

My few cents.....when I first read of this "handgate" I watched and rewatched my dvr recording.  Couldn't see it.  When the video was posted here my impression was his hand was resting on her hip, she did a quarter turn and gravity/inertia/whatever it just slipped down without him  noticing.  His attention really seemed elsewhere to me.

BUT.....I really did notice while getting the judges critique she had her arm around him but was keeping out of real body contact and was holding on to Tom too.  I rechecked the few dvr recordings I still have and have noticed her occasionally hugging Tom also but never with such a wide space between her and her partner.  Maybe she has before since I have a very small sampling.  But it was enough to be obvious to me whereas the hand wasn't.

YMMV

Edited by deemac
  • Love 1

I think Sharna decided to stage a "romance" having watched how well it worked for Maks and Meryl.  Bonner doesn't have the skill or charisma needed, but her/their goal is to create buzz and titillate to stay in the game as long as possible.  I doubt they can pull it off but I think this is the motivation.   To the media they say not happening but it still leaves the impression they are keeping it a secret.  

• Love 1
On March 25, 2017 at 1:41 PM, wings707 said:

I think Sharna decided to stage a "romance" having watched how well it worked for Maks and Meryl.  Bonner doesn't have the skill or charisma needed, but her/their goal is to create buzz and titillate to stay in the game as long as possible.  I doubt they can pull it off but I think this is the motivation.   To the media they say not happening but it still leaves the impression they are keeping it a secret.  

I don't think Bonner is a skilled dancer at all.  He's good enough to pass for the average person who has to ballroom dance for a special occasion or just for fun, but he is definitely not nearly as talented as the other contestants.

That being said, I definitely see a genuine physical attraction between Sharna and Bonner.  I'm sure Sharna is taking advantage of this like you said, to hopefully last a bit longer this season since it is unlikely they will stick around because of Bonner's fanbase (do his fans watch the show? Does he have fans?) or his minimal dancing ability.  However, she was clearly blushing in the first episode when they first met.  It's pretty difficult to "fake" blushing seeing as how blushing is an automatic response from the body.  It's clear to me that they are very much into each other. 

As for "hand-gate," his hand was dangling in front of her crotch, but he didn't grab that area.  To me it didn't look intentional.  He was focusing on Nick and Peta's score and simply didn't pay much attention to his hands.  Sharna has rehearsed with him for countless hours, so she knows him better than we do.  If she isn't offended by what happened and says Bonner is a gentleman, then I believe her.  

• Love 2
9 hours ago, PhysNerd said:

I don't think Bonner is a skilled dancer at all.  He's good enough to pass for the average person who has to ballroom dance for a special occasion or just for fun, but he is definitely not nearly as talented as the other contestants.

Funny.  Look at my post that you quoted.  I actually said this!  LOL  .".....Bonner doesn't have the skill......."

Sharna has been liking photos of Pierson on Instagram, chatting with him in the same way, etc.  She really hasn't been trying to hide their relationship.  He was with her when she went to see James Hinchcliffe the day before his victory at Long Beach.  Photos were published.

12 hours ago, McManda said:

One can only hope everyone drops the showmance angle now.

The show started it, then it went way off the rails with the video.  They have to stop the showmance nonsense.  If a couple is truly into each other then it should happen organically and occassionally it has, but the show has to stop making something out of nothing.  This is damage control to try and get Bonner back in contention.

• Love 1
9 hours ago, RedFiat said:

The show started it, then it went way off the rails with the video.  They have to stop the showmance nonsense.  If a couple is truly into each other then it should happen organically and occassionally it has, but the show has to stop making something out of nothing.  This is damage control to try and get Bonner back in contention.

I think they have seriously toned it down since week 1, but it's a question on if they'll rear it again next week and in upcoming weeks. I do hope that they took note of people turning their noses up at the forced showmance and they'll let it go. 

• Love 1
On 4/15/2017 at 7:31 PM, Lady Calypso said:

I think they have seriously toned it down since week 1, but it's a question on if they'll rear it again next week and in upcoming weeks. I do hope that they took note of people turning their noses up at the forced showmance and they'll let it go. 

I think Sharna probably announced she had a boyfriend because the show realized that no one cared about her showmance with Bonner. Fortunately I think he is the next to go after Erika. I wouldn't be surprised if they give him low scores tonight or put him in the bottom two. 

1 hour ago, boyznkatz said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they give him low scores tonight or put him in the bottom two. 

It would be great if he goes home tonight, though I'll feel bad for Sharna.  It always seems to me that the obvious cannon fodder contestants get their highest scores and most praise on the night they're going to be eliminated, eg: Charo and Mr. T. 

• Love 1

In general, my issue with the #metoo movement is that is opens the door for every woman to come forward about a time she felt uncomfortable with a man. I know nothing about Nick's case in particular (though I know he issued a public statement back), but I can see why a statement by a retired B-list girlbander 15 years after the fact with no documentation or corroboration would be something to not pay attention to. It seems like for every Cosby or Weinstein there are a dozen guys with one claim against them, which says something to me, too.

I'd actually be afraid to be a man right now and yes, I understand that's part of the "problem". But I wouldn't want to have to be afraid of how I spoke to a woman, or of something that I thought was consensual in the moment was going to used against me (because the only real proof we have is what the victims say, most of the time). Or I wouldn't want to have my experiences marginalized if I was assaulted by a woman simply because "men want it". 

I think everyone should just be a better person, but I also think maybe Sharna should have stayed out of it. (But I also don't necessarily think she's wrong.)

• Love 4
1 hour ago, McManda said:

In general, my issue with the #metoo movement is that is opens the door for every woman to come forward about a time she felt uncomfortable with a man. I know nothing about Nick's case in particular (though I know he issued a public statement back), but I can see why a statement by a retired B-list girlbander 15 years after the fact with no documentation or corroboration would be something to not pay attention to. It seems like for every Cosby or Weinstein there are a dozen guys with one claim against them, which says something to me, too.

I'd actually be afraid to be a man right now and yes, I understand that's part of the "problem". But I wouldn't want to have to be afraid of how I spoke to a woman, or of something that I thought was consensual in the moment was going to used against me (because the only real proof we have is what the victims say, most of the time). Or I wouldn't want to have my experiences marginalized if I was assaulted by a woman simply because "men want it". 

I think everyone should just be a better person, but I also think maybe Sharna should have stayed out of it. (But I also don't necessarily think she's wrong.)

Bravo. I feel the same. I think it's great that we're living in a day and age where women are starting to speak out against men who did such horrible things. But I also think it's opening the door for a lot of other things too, including fame, publicity and making a buck. By no means am I saying that women who are speaking out now are doing that, but all it takes is one seeing a cash cow or a way to get their name in the papers, or someone who was spurned and is still bitter, to ruin someone's reputation, career and life forever.

• Love 6
4 hours ago, McManda said:

Sharna posted the equivalent of a 13-year-old fangirl, gushing about how great he was with her--in the few months they worked together and leading her followers to a BSB page riddled with inaccuracies in a shoddy smearjob attempt. 

No one knows the truth but them and what Sharna did was irresponsible and a little pathetic imo, because she knows him soooo well and he was soooo nice on the set of DwtS! The reason abuses of power are allowed to thrive are because of attitudes like this--you say her hasbeen status with no "documentation or corroboration" means she shouldn't be "paid attention to" versus a man of greater influence and power. It is "documented" Nick has struggled with drugs and alcohol and has been accused of sexual assault in the past before it was dropped and has been seen violent towards his younger brother and is thought to be the one responsible for all the bruises on Paris Hilton at the time of their breakup. Which is to say neither side has a perfect history so Sharna's butting in to spread to all her followers a smear attempt is shameful, silly, and reckless in my eyes.

Edited by anonymiss
  • Love 10
4 hours ago, anonymiss said:

The reason abuses of power are allowed to thrive are because of attitudes like this--you say her hasbeen status with no "documentation or corroboration" means she shouldn't be "paid attention to" versus a man of greater influence and power.

I think you misunderstand my opinion. Yes, her experiences are valid, regardless of her current or past social or economic standing.

My issue stems from the idea that now it only takes one comment from a woman to essentially destroy a man's life. There is a place for accusation (but IMO it's not fifteen years after the event) and there are proper channels to go through (the press is not step one).

I also think that yes, weight should be given to frequency of accusations, especially events that are decades old. There's no doubt in my mind that someone like Weinstein is guilty of what he's accused of.  The one-off accusations against men like Nick are the grey area and I'm not sure they're necessarily being dealt with the correct way. Plus, if a woman interprets a comment wrong, or has remorse after something that was assumed to be consensual, is that also assault? I believe no, assault is in intent in the moment. It's the slippery slope that can do far more damage that I'm afraid of.

Yes, I'm aware of Nick's history with substance abuse and anger issues, though I wasn't aware of any past sexual assault accusations.

In the end, it's a complicated issue that I don't tend to get in the middle of. I think Sharna shouldn't have, either.

• Love 2
21 hours ago, McManda said:

I think you misunderstand my opinion. Yes, her experiences are valid, regardless of her current or past social or economic standing.

My issue stems from the idea that now it only takes one comment from a woman to essentially destroy a man's life. There is a place for accusation (but IMO it's not fifteen years after the event) and there are proper channels to go through (the press is not step one).

I also think that yes, weight should be given to frequency of accusations, especially events that are decades old. There's no doubt in my mind that someone like Weinstein is guilty of what he's accused of.  The one-off accusations against men like Nick are the grey area and I'm not sure they're necessarily being dealt with the correct way. Plus, if a woman interprets a comment wrong, or has remorse after something that was assumed to be consensual, is that also assault? I believe no, assault is in intent in the moment. It's the slippery slope that can do far more damage that I'm afraid of.

Yes, I'm aware of Nick's history with substance abuse and anger issues, though I wasn't aware of any past sexual assault accusations.

In the end, it's a complicated issue that I don't tend to get in the middle of. I think Sharna shouldn't have, either.

I  think this invalidates a lot of survivors of sexual assault though.  The whole casting aside people that come forward years later is problematic on its own because there is a reason that women (and men) don't come forward in real time.  Women and the men who are preyed upon are almost always on the losing side of the power dynamic.  They have everything to lose and nothing to gain in these situations.  Also a lot of people don't deal with the trauma in real time.  So the whole you're invalidated if you don't come forward in the moment doesn't work for me.  Everyone works through assault and abuse on their own time frame and if women/men are feeling empowered by what is currently happening then more power to them.  Melissa even specifically says why she came forward now and she is right that at the time in question Nick was represented by Marty Singer.  Look him up and see who he represents.  At the time she would have been buried alive if she tried to say anything against Nick.

Also I don't see male lives being destroyed over one accusation.  From looking around the internet I see a lot of Nick defending happening and a lot of slut shaming and famewhoring comments directed at his accuser.  So what is she gaining out of this besides being ridiculed by BSB fans and others on the internet?  She's the one getting the brunt of the damage and nobody has taken away Nick's career over one accusation.   Most of the people that have lost jobs currently are people that have had multiple corroborated accusations against them and in many cases their antics have been open secrets for years that were swept under the rug.  I'd rather be concerned with all the women that didn't get to have careers or left the business due to crap like this while their male abusers stayed in power and made millions (not Nick, just in general).  Then again half the internet doesn't think a guy taking his dick out in front of a woman is assault either so the human race is also often appalling.

I also take great issue with "if a woman interprets a comment wrong".  What does that mean?  A man shouldn't be making any sexually themed remarks in the work place.  That is common sense.  There is nothing to misinterpret if you just don't make any sexually themed comments in a place of business.  Change the behavior of men in the work place instead of trying to police women and their inability to understand a sexually tinged comment.  It is not a witch hunt and men that feel it is likely feel that way because they have something to hide.

The percentage of sexual assault allegations that are fake are actually quite low and while I do not know anything about Melissa or Nick to know if she is telling the truth or not, I will give her the benefit of the doubt to at least listen to her and not assume she is lying just because Nick is cute or was always nice to Sharna.  Sharna if she wanted to show support to Nick should have done it behind the scenes.  Where Sharna went wrong is she linked to a VERY biased "article" on a BSB fansite that went out of its way to depict Nick's accuser as a shallow famewhore through so-called facts and then tried to frame it as unbiased.  Then of course she doubled down with the he was always nice to me rhetoric and he was nicest and most respectful person ever while basically implying he was also innocent.  Were you there Sharna?  If not, then shut up.

Also unrelated to assault, but I took some weird umbrage with Sharna going on and on about how respectful Nick was to everyone on the show and how he was the nicest person ever to everyone set.  Because yes, I remember him mostly being nice and I remember him dealing well with the whole Tamar situation.  But I also remember him being dismissive to Witney during switch up week, where at least via editing declared he was going to be in charge since Witney didn't have the same level of commitment and I guess could sabotage him?  Then he talked to her during rehearsal like she was a two year old and was bossing her around.  Mind you for reasons I don't understand Witney seemed to go along with it and let him walk all over her.  That of course doesn't mean he's an guilty of assault, but it certainly didn't follow the image Sharna was trying to paint of his niceness to everyone and his willingness to let the female lead.

Edited by spanana
  • Love 14

It's hard to take Sharna seriously when she defended that crotch grabber Bonner then acted like she couldn't stand him. Nick always seemed slimey to me. Paris Hilton was definitely beaten up and she said he did it, but no one liked her so everyone defended him. He also didn't seem too nice to his brother and got arrested after the show. But people think he's cute, so no matter.

• Love 4

As one who voted for Nick among others on this show I have to say this is just terrible to read. I think there is a lot of fangirling around him saying he could do no wrong while his accuser is a fame whore.  Full stop. This is exactly why people have not come forward in the past, and nobody has learned from Kevin Spacey’s accuser who was brave enough to tell a story from 30 years ago. It’s as if these defenders think these types of allegations couldn’t possibly stick to Nick because of the way they feel about him personally.  I have to agree that Sharna is being childish and reckless and I’m surprised that Disney is giving her a platform on social media. This all could go very badly and Sharna would also I think be subject to the residual taint of all this.  Given that there are few pro spots coming up for the Spring season, Sharna  might not have made the wisest choice. 

Having said that if he’s vindicated I’ll be happy for him. All the facts have to come out. 

• Love 2

This disturbing trend I've seen, at least on social media during these allegations coming to light, is that if the person is a Harvey Weinstein (older, not overly attractive, not in good shape, etc.) people will have an easier time calling them out and seeing them as guilty.  Mind you Weinstein might not be the best example since that was one of the biggest open secrets in Hollywood.  If the person accused is younger and more of a heartthrob with a primarily female fanbase, suddenly it's all about innocent until proven guilty and the fans will do anything they can to poke holes in  the story of the accuser.  See Ed Westwick, Nick and there was another decently big name that is escaping me right now where accusations had come to light.  The Ed Westwick fans did the same thing where they spend all of their time analyzing the stories of one of his accusers trying to poke holes in it based on behavior, as Nick's fans have done with Melissa.  Though Ed has 3-4 claims against him and I think at least 3 of those are violent rape.  Yet people are still defending.

I'd also like to point out in general that innocent until proven guilty is re: the courts and actual charges.  That doesn't necessarily apply to the court of public opinion. 

Sharna defending Nick did hit TMZ and all the tabloids, but she seems to be ignoring it and pretending it doesn't exist right now.  While she's gotten blowback, considering she's fairly low stakes as a celebrity--and Nick is too for that matter, it hasn't actually picked up as much steam as if she was a bigger name.

• Love 3
On 12/4/2017 at 11:43 AM, spanana said:

I also take great issue with "if a woman interprets a comment wrong".  What does that mean?

I don't mean to offend, honestly.

What it boils down to, for me, is intent and the idea that something that was mutually believed to be agreed upon in that moment can potentially, for whatever reason, be something that is an issue the next day, or the next month, or in the next ten years. That, plus this idea that we're supposed to unequivocally accept the word of the accuser because why would they lie or what do they have to lose actually concerns me (for better or worse) because even if it's not being abused now it opens up the entire grey area where it can be. "Innocent until proven guilty" should hold true in the court of public opinion because if it doesn't, what's to say mob mentality and vigilante justice won't win out? Public opinion matters just as much - or maybe more to those in the public eye - than the court of law.

I'm a believer in getting both sides and not judging until I feel like I have enough information to do so, or to just stay out of it all together. Again, I haven't followed Melissa's story (and I only vaguely remember Dream) and only know Nick responded to her allegations. I'm not dismissing her story, nor am I defending him. It's a data point in the larger picture, not simply siding with her because she said it or with him because it's young, attractive, or successful.

My feelings about the larger issue aside, Sharna absolutely put herself into a situation she shouldn't have.

• Love 4

I'd argue mob mentality applies to both sides though because there certainly is a mob coming after Melissa and many other accusers.  They are getting death threats and hate mail and general threats.  I'm sure maybe Nick and the accused are as well, but there are certainly mobs coming after accusers to silence them, both within the industry and within fandoms.  So mob mentality and vigilante justice also has an effect on accusers, not just the accused.  They will be seen as outcasts, they will be looked at as unemployable, they will be looked at as troublemakers, whores, etc. I think the main thing I'd repeat is that the number of fake rape and sexual assault allegations is actually quite low.  It's not as if accusations are a 50/50 deal where it's found that half the time people are lying.  More often than not, accusers are telling the truth.  Those are just stats.

Also intent and something that was mutually believed to be agreed upon certainly works both ways.  In the world of a mans word versus a womans word, historically the mans word has almost always won out.  The fact that things have started to shift for all of two seconds, it's suddenly considered a witch hunt.  I'd press people to name one recent male that has gone down, meaning gotten fired and had real ramifications happen to them, where they were innocent or later found to be so.  Then you have someone like Roy Moore, pedophile extraordinaire, who has framed his accusers as "criminals" and yet is still likely to win a Senate seat.  His accusers are receiving death threats.

The other very grey area is that there are certainly plenty of cases where a woman finally relents to a sexual act, eventually after being worn down, because they feel powerless and out of fear.  They know they can't overpower the assaulter and so they stay.  Does that mean they consented? 

I also don't personally agree that innocent until proven guilty should apply to the court of public opinion.  HR departments and places of businesses aren't firing people without doing investigations into the behavior of their employees so it's not like they are automatically firing someone based on no evidence.  Nick has not been fired.

Besides, we all know men in this business can do a mea culpa and come out and do a victory redemption tour years later like nothing ever happened.  See Mel Gibson.  Remember when he was persona non grata?  Now he's being lauded and given top Hollywood honors again.  Others like Woody Allen and Roman Polanski continue to make movies with A-listers and still get to be respected filmmakers.  

Anyway, I'm done on that.  Melissa could be lying, though I see very little that she has to gain out of it.  Nick better hope no other women come forward, though the former Pussycat Doll he used to date didn't have very kind words for him either.  And if Sharna is smart, she will never mention it again and hope it goes away.

• Love 4

IMHO, true or not, Sharna was a moron for this unnecessary, over the top defense of Nick just because she danced with him for ten weeks on DWTS, a year ago. Especially as this incident allegedly happened almost 15 years ago when Nick was 22, long before she ever met him. Like who the hell even asked her for an opinion any way? Even if she had some DWTS fans filling her social media with questions for her opinion on the matter, any smart person would know that these are not the type of waters you want to wade in.

If Sharna felt that she just had to say something, all she should have said was that she cannot speak on the situation as she was not there, she can only speak on her experience with Nick which was wonderful but she wishes everyone the best. Done and Done. But that's not what she did. She stupidly posts some link that supposedly pokes holes in Melissa's story, all while saying she's not blaming the victim and not suggesting Melissa's lying, even if that's kind of exactly what she was doing. It was all just so stupid and clueless on her part. Especially for someone that she really only knew for a few weeks. 

Anytime someone mentions how nice a guy was to them when accusations like these come about them, I always want to remind that person that many of the women who worked with Ted Bundy thought he was the sweetest, kindest and most charming man in the world. It's kind of how he got women to trust him enough to get in his car with him alone. One co-worker who wrote a book years after he was convicted, talked about him making sure the single women in the office had rides when it was late, that they didn't walk to their cars alone, etc. 

And no, that's not me comparing Nick to Ted Bundy. I'm just making the point that a person never really knows another person and it is especially ridiculous when in Sharna's case, she knew Nick for all of ten weeks and years later in his life. Jessica Szohr commented on the Ed Westwick charges and in her case, she dated Ed for like two years, worked with him for five years on Gossip Girl and they remained friends. And yeah, she made the, "I cannot imagine the man I knew and loved doing this" but you know what, even she was smart enough to still state that she wasn't there and so she cannot say it is or isn't true and is just praying for everyone involved. And again, in her case, this is a guy she was romantically involved with at one point. Yet Sharna, who barely knew Nick, decides she's an authority on his character, enough to posts links to articles painting Melissa as a liar while claiming that's not what she's doing. 

Edited by truthaboutluv
  • Love 9

I'm not a fan of Sharna's but......I just went on the ABC website and noticed that the photo of the winners of season 27 does not include Sharna. There is Bobby Bones hoisting the trophy and Sharna is not included in the photo. After all this time Sharna has been waiting for her win, she isn't even pictured on the ABC website with her partner.

• Love 3