Type keyword(s) to search

S29: Sharna Burgess

• Start Topic

I picked the thread name because Sharna mentioned she saw Charlie as a little brother and she was also very much like a big sister with Cody during their week together. I think even when Sharna is younger than someone, she still gives off big sister vibes. She comes across as very protective of people she cares about. If anyone has any better ideas for a thread name, let me know.

I like Sharna a lot. It's too bad she and Charlie didn't make the finals

With all the talk of the lack of chemistry between Sharna and Charlie, I thought her "little brother" comment was very telling.

That exchange really made me laugh.

Tom Bergeron: Your chemistry was palbable.

[Me: It was?!]

Sharna: Yeah, he's like my little brother.

[Me: Oh, the brother-sister chemistry! Yeah, that was palpable.]

I think Sharna and Charlie had nice chemistry the first week. Though the dance was about Charlie's lifting. Nobody got to learn anything new about Charlie.Sharna's breathtaking in the dance but it was about lifts. The Package was fun about the teaching of dance though. Which is where I wish they kept their packages.

On week 2 Sharna or the show decided to play Charlie against Maks in Charlie's package. Why would it be a good thing to want to have that Comparison? Charlie and Maks are different creatures. Maks is a pro. Charlie is never going to be that rough raw am I crazy masculine that comes natural for Maks. Starting this week It left the audience really comparing Meryl's partners. And we actually lost Sharna has well since that package was about Maks as teacher. And in Maks and Meryl package, they laugh at the Len Good on wood Joke and then Maks is physically throwing Meryl. This really got their showmance going. People started talking about how Charlie and Meryl never having that type of relationship. Maybe Charlie let down Meryl all these years. I think this is the week Charlie lost 

Then in Week 3 Charlie didn't mention Meryl as one of the people he was Celebrating with in his happy dance. There was a lot of talk poor Meryl this week on facebook and Tumblr. And This dance, while one of the ones I will remember most had the troupe and a Gimmick but mostly it was about Charlie's happiness. Sharna pretty much was kind of like she was just another troupe member.

And then After that Shana decided to jam pack Charlie's routines. I think because of the critique Charlie got in his Rumba with Peta. Right when Charlie was getting the most tired because of having to do both DWTS and SOI.

I think if Sharna comes back to the show, she needs to make sure she stands out at the same time as highlighting her partner's strength and working on selling the partnership.

(edited)
On week 2 Sharna or the show decided to play Charlie against Maks in Charlie's package. Why would it be a good thing to want to have that Comparison? Charlie and Maks are different creatures. Maks is a pro.

Sharna's intent was to get a pro with expertise she doesn't have to teach her student something he needed to know, which was how to convey certain masculine qualities on the ballroom floor.  (Just like how Maks brought Sharna and some other female troupe members in to give Hope Solo tips on how to walk and whip her hair around in a feminine way.)  I thought Maks gave Charlie great practical advice on stuff like where he should be directing his gaze and why, and how to touch Sharna.  It was smart for Sharna to bring in an outsider if she thought it would help the performance. 

What was dumb was when Carrie Ann told Charlie to disregard the stuff Maks taught him, and when Charlie basically dismissed Maks' input and said "it comes from within you".  Charlie, in your case, I'm afraid it didn't.  It was also smart of Sharna to realize that getting Charlie to play against type to that degree wasn't going to work.  She revisited the "bad boy" thing in the paso, which is very typical for paso, but I wonder if she could have been more creative about creating a paso character that would have met the stylistic requirements but worked better for Charlie personally.

Edited by Bitsy

I get why it would be practical in a real world use but not for a TV show that's visual. Comparing what Charlie can't do naturally and what Comes natural to Maks. They are very opposite. Sharna should have got a non competing Pro or at least someone like Derek who has looks more in common with Charlie.  

Maks was a fellow competitor and Meryl's new partner. Go check out what people started to say about Charlie holding Meryl back compared to Maks. It started and continued from there. Especially because in the Meryl and Maks Packaging week 2 had them laughing at the implication of Len saying Meryl was good on wood and had Maks super physical throwing her all over the place in the rehearsal. 

Sharna's intent was to get a pro with expertise she doesn't have to teach her student something he needed to know, which was how to convey certain masculine qualities on the ballroom floor.  (Just like how Maks brought Sharna and some other female troupe members in to give Hope Solo tips on how to walk and whip her hair around in a feminine way.)  I thought Maks gave Charlie great practical advice on stuff like where he should be directing his gaze and why, and how to touch Sharna.  It was smart for Sharna to bring in an outsider if she thought it would help the performance. 

What was dumb was when Carrie Ann told Charlie to disregard the stuff Maks taught him, and when Charlie basically dismissed Maks' input and said "it comes from within you".  Charlie, in your case, I'm afraid it didn't.  It was also smart of Sharna to realize that getting Charlie to play against type to that degree wasn't going to work.  She revisited the "bad boy" thing in the paso, which is very typical for paso, but I wonder if she could have been more creative about creating a paso character that would have met the stylistic requirements but worked better for Charlie personally.

Go check out what people started to say about Charlie holding Meryl back compared to Maks.

Damn that Charlie, he and Meryl only won the Olympics, and two world championships, and six national titles, and almost every other figure skating competition they entered the last four years. What an albatross - without him, maybe she could have done something with her career.

I'm sorry, but anyone who said that Charlie held Meryl back is an idiot, and their opinions have no merit whatsoever.

• Love 4

It's what people started talking about. I'll see if I can find the stuff later tonight. People starting talking about what Meryl could have done with someone other than Charlie. Perhaps she could have had a partnership like Tessa Virtue and Scott Moir. When I find it I will post it in the Charlie thread.

Damn that Charlie, he and Meryl only won the Olympics, and two world championships, and six national titles, and almost every other figure skating competition they entered the last four years. What an albatross - without him, maybe she could have done something with her career.

I'm sorry, but anyone who said that Charlie held Meryl back is an idiot, and their opinions have no merit whatsoever.

I've seen some of those comments already, so that's okay. They still make no sense. I get that some fans are frustrated that they never fell in love, but Meryl could not have accomplished more with anyone else than she already has with Charlie.

• Love 2
(edited)

LOL @ the thought of Charlie holding Meryl back, but I did read a very thoughtful post after Meryl and Maks's foxtrot by a huge Meryl/Charlie fan who said that the moment in the middle of the dance was the kind of moment Charlie and Meryl were never successfully able to create on the ice, which I think is a fair critique. I personally really like Charlie and Meryl's dance chemistry, but since chemistry is one of the greatest strengths of their rivals (who are also not in love, as far as I know!), it was always a point of criticism for them. Even their coach has said they don't have the on-ice connection Tessa and Scott have and that they had to find another way to win. It has been interesting to see that Meryl is capable of creating the heat that I think a lot of people feel was missing from Meryl and Charlie's routines, but I don't think it's totally fair to blame it on Charlie. Every performer has strengths and weaknesses, and creating sexual chemistry with his partners is obviously one of Maks's strengths and something he prioritizes and focuses on.

I think what it comes down to is Charlie is an amazing performer with natural joie de vivre, but he is not a natural actor by any means and has a limited range. I think that combined with Sharna not prioritizing chemistry in the way that Maks did for most of their routines meant Charlie had less chemistry with her than Meryl did with Maks, and as a result people are now blaming Charlie for his and Meryl's past struggles to create romantic chemistry in their performances. But I actually thought in the weeks where romantic chemistry was a focus for them (like their Week 1 contemporary to "Let Her Go") that they had great chemistry -- nothing brother/sister about it! That last look he gave Sharna was intense! I also think he had good chemistry with Candace in their "Stay With Me" contemporary duo dance where his character is trying to ditch Sharna for her. I think if you work on having romantic chemistry with Charlie he can do it, but for whatever reason Sharna didn't make it a priority and most of their dances either didn't focus on that or asked Charlie to embody a more intense character which I just personally feel is not his forte.

Edited by fembotz
  • Love 3
(edited)

I've always thought Sharna has to be tough as nails.  Leaving Australia as a teen to make her way in the vicious world of dance had to leave some scarring.  Yet, she was incredibly warm with Andy Dick.  Then, in the dances she choreographed with fellow pros, she displayed a bigtime raunchy 'tude.  This lady has many sides.

My take is that she has yet to really show out her core.  None of us are entitled to such but it does serve to leave us wondering about "chemistry" and relationship.  This hurt Charlie as he is not built to be very dominant.  

In my estimation, real deal professional dance is all about creating a special kind of artifice - very much like skating.  There's a formality and pride that must predominate.  Part of this is to inure contestants/athletes from taking defeats too hard.  If one invests too much of oneself in an outcome and lose, it is far more difficult to forget, recover, and move on.  Internalizing failure is simply not an option.  

I had high hopes that Charlie and Sharna would be able to fake it fabulously as they have learned to do in their vocations.  On DWTS, it isn't enough.  I find Meryl to be especially automatonic (as was Kristi) but Maks is such an outsized force of nature,  the voters' need for connection is met.  

Sharna is my second-favorite to Cheryl.  I doubt she will be given another legit star, much as Cheryl ends up with so much cannon fodder.  I can also see her moving on from the show as I don't believe she quite understands the zeitgeist. 

Edited by Lonesome Rhodes

I'm really upset that she won't be on the new season, I think she's one of the best dancers/choreographers on the show, plus she's an absolute sweetheart.

On the positive side, according to a tweet from Meryl, Sharna choreographed a new routine for her and Charlie

• Love 1

My favorite male pro got the boot last season and my favorite female is gone this season. Sigh. I just love Sharnas choreography and am so bummed we won't see her as a pro. Despite the amount of criticism they got, i really enjoyed her dances with Charlie and was looking forward to seeing more of her. I'm hoping Emma gets a young hottie this time and not just Peta.

Sharna on snapchat late last night, or actually early this (Friday) morning, apparently still in Florida:

"It's 4 o'clock in the morning and I'm awake trying to re-choreograph..."

Wonder what happened. 

I think she hasn't won yet because though she's had 2 good partners before James in both those seasons Meryl and Bindi were the clear frontrunners/winners. May be the case this time as well if the finale comes down to Laurie vs. James. I don't remember Nyle and Peta's competition last year.

Pre-season it was speculated Charlie White would go further than Meryl for a few reasons. Once Amy Purdy and Meryl came out however, it was apparent Sharna wouldn't win with Charlie. Injury aside this could still be Sharna's season to win. If it is Laurie vs. James in the finale, the win may very well be determined by the freestyle and on paper I'd give that edge to Sharna over Val even though Laurie is capable of more tricks.

"The trick is to really find the best treatment available and that's what I did. I made the really difficult choice to leave James for three days, go to Ohio and sought out the best available treatment in the country and as a result I'm healing quicker than ever," she told us. "I really do plan on being back next Monday. If these doctors tell me I can't, apparently I have to listen to them. And if it's not next Monday it will be on the one after that. Oh, I'm back."

http://www.eonline.com/news/806224/call-it-a-comeback-sharna-burgess-plotting-dancing-with-the-stars-return-after-knee-injury

Dancing With the Stars airs Mondays, 8 p.m. on ABC.

Edited by RedFiat

I've always liked Sharna and I've never thought she or any of the female pros are "trashy" for the way they dance or for their costumes.  I bet all of the female pros at one time or another have had to put their star partners in their place for mistaking dance training with an invitation to get handsy.  I also understand Sharna needed to do some damage control.  But IMO this isn't the way to do it.  

I'd guess most of us women who have been around the block a time or two have had to correct male behavior.   I don't believe for a second that Bonner didn't know what he was doing - though I do think it's possible that he so often gets away with it that he does it without thinking, some guys are just like that.

Sharna could have just said it was accidental and he apologized immediately and then let it go at that.  Calling fans "stupid" and "lacking intelligence to realize it was innocent" went waaaay too far, especially for her younger female fans who need to understand that they don't have to put up with whatever guys want to dish out.

As of this moment that I'm writing this, there's no public comment from Bonner on his twitter.

• Love 5

Maybe she needs to eliminate that ellipsis and use her 140 characters to add on an "E" to the word "the" instead of trying to trash talk the viewers for seeing something that was rightfully worrisome.

Sometimes, I think celebrities need a few lessons on social media etiquette, so they don't just word vomit things where people can rightfully criticize them. 

• Love 4

Oh Sharna. She's always been my favorite and most of the reason I watch the show. I can't get into this pairing. Even before the incident. She's better than playing into a showmance. Especially with someone who as no shot at winning.

• Love 1
2 hours ago, Uke said:

I've always liked Sharna and I've never thought she or any of the female pros are "trashy" for the way they dance or for their costumes.  I bet all of the female pros at one time or another have had to put their star partners in their place for mistaking dance training with an invitation to get handsy.  I also understand Sharna needed to do some damage control.  But IMO this isn't the way to do it.  

I'd guess most of us women who have been around the block a time or two have had to correct male behavior.   I don't believe for a second that Bonner didn't know what he was doing - though I do think it's possible that he so often gets away with it that he does it without thinking, some guys are just like that.

Sharna could have just said it was accidental and he apologized immediately and then let it go at that.  Calling fans "stupid" and "lacking intelligence to realize it was innocent" went waaaay too far, especially for her younger female fans who need to understand that they don't have to put up with whatever guys want to dish out.

As of this moment that I'm writing this, there's no public comment from Bonner on his twitter.

I totally missed what he did. Could someone fill me in? I know there was some definite innuendo, but was there something else? Thx!

3 hours ago, Suck It Trebek said:

I totally missed what he did. Could someone fill me in? I know there was some definite innuendo, but was there something else? Thx!

Video in this article: http://people.com/tv/bonner-bolton-explains-groping-sharna-burgess-dancing-with-the-stars-premiere/

I do think Bonner was not paying close enough attention and it was more of a mistake than intentional. That said, nothing wrong with apologizing when you do something you didn't mean to do. Sharna's over reaction is disappointing. There are some hyper fans on social media who go crazy over any little thing, but there are also a lot of women who saw that and were genuinely reminded of bad experiences. 

• Love 5

For a lot of viewers, this will work, though. They'll think Bonner has "Southern charm" and that he's hot, they'll eat up the showmance (parts of the audience looks for shipping opportunities every season) and won't much care about the dancing either way. Also, a certain segment will get spitefully attached to him now because they'll see him as a "victim" of "political correctness gone amok". I don't want any of that to be true, but i feel that it may happen. Ugh.

Not even about Sharna specifically, but about the pros in general: I think the job can be very difficult in that regard. Clearly, being on a reality show entails more than just choreographing and teaching people to dance. And a number of different pros have confirmed throughout the years that there's pressure to go along with storylines if they want to stay in the good graces of TPTB and keep their jobs. Mostly I just hope she is comfortable and safe.

• Love 4

I became such a fan of Sharna last season with James. Now it's just damn difficult to watch all the whoring for votes.  Intentional or not, it really served the narrative and was the "news" from the show on Monday night. 

• Love 2

After Sharna's easy breezy chemistry with James last year this is so hard to watch...

To me, Bonner is so dull and lackluster, no amount of showmance or hotness can make up for it.  I don't even care about the grab-gate. 

• Love 3
22 hours ago, Dots And Stripes said:

but there are also a lot of women who saw that and were genuinely reminded of bad experiences. 

I'm sure I'm not the only one for whom it's not just being "genuinely reminded of bad experiences".  It's about unacceptable behavior that shouldn't, and hopefully won't, become the norm or glossed over as "guys will be guys". This thread is now littered with the "p____" vulgarity for female body parts which apparently has already become normalized.  We've already seen another guy's lewd behavior overlooked and rewarded with the biggest job in the land.  IMO the only way to stop this disrespectful behavior is to push back when we see it.  Too bad Sharna wants to overlook it. JMO.

• Love 2
4 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

I don't think it served them - people may not vote for Bonner because of it, and may not vote for Sharna because of her tweet in response to it.

I am going to bet that the narrative will be that poor Boner was maliciously maligned, and the saps who buy that line of bullshit will start to vote for a douche bag who can't dance.  I hope I'm wrong, but sadly I doubt it. So they get exactly what they wanted.

Edited by RedFiat
  • Love 1
2 hours ago, Mondayeve said:

After Sharna's easy breezy chemistry with James last year this is so hard to watch...

To me, Bonner is so dull and lackluster, no amount of showmance or hotness can make up for it.  I don't even care about the grab-gate. 

You sum up my feelings perfectly.  I thought Bonner was a horrible dancer and completely dull as a person.  Sharna and James was my favorite pairing across all seasons of DWTS, and I still think they were robbed.  Too bad she's stuck with such an awkward, boring partner now. 

• Love 4
On ‎3‎/‎22‎/‎2017 at 1:02 AM, katha said:

For a lot of viewers, this will work, though. They'll think Bonner has "Southern charm" and that he's hot, they'll eat up the showmance (parts of the audience looks for shipping opportunities every season) and won't much care about the dancing either way. Also, a certain segment will get spitefully attached to him now because they'll see him as a "victim" of "political correctness gone amok". I don't want any of that to be true, but i feel that it may happen. Ugh.

I am not convinced.  This guy has too many strikes against him.  Aside from the obvious that he can't dance and has a boring personality, he is one of the least well known contestant.  He isn't at all entertaining or appear to be that smart.   Looks wise, a strong case can be made for Nick and Rashad.