Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E08: Demons

Whelp, Deacon sure will not be getting "a head" in life, now.  Sorry!  So, so sorry!  Is this it for him?  It certainly would not be the first time he's managed to come back to life (good old time-travel!), but I do not see one coming back from getting decapitated.  Poor Jennifer was so heartbroken by it.  At least Cole took out his executioner on his way out.

I always love it when time-traveling shows end up going into the medieval period.  Wish we got a little bit more, but Jennifer being falsely excused as a witch and Cole and Cassie kneecapping everyone to save her was the best.

3P0 is actually a pretty aped description for Dr. Adler. 

• Love 2

Had to laugh at Jennifer launching a hug at Cassie, only for the latter to gag and Jennifer going, “it’s poop.” I guess I assumed that the villagers were throwing rotten food, poop didn’t occur to me.

• Love 3

Something about this episode didn't work for me,  so i was bored and irritated by little pet peeves.

I can't stand when women's armor has molded boobs. What's the point of that? Wouldn't the force of any blow just get concentrated on the narrow part closest to your body?

Also, could they not grab some threads at like a renn faire or something so Jennifer wouldn't be so immediately conspicuous in her shorts?

• Love 1

Well, this show has come a long way from "kill Leland Goines and stop the plague." I'll admit, I was kind of irritated by this episode. I've been quite willing to take the ride, and if it led to ancient mythology and a monkey-faced bell, OK. But then it all became pointless. Near miss after near miss -- and centuries of primaries talking to each other through time, yet they didn't foresee that the weapon would be useless? That it would be paradoxed out of existence? They foresaw the Witness coming to set them on fire yet didn't see that? Wherever it was supposed to send James -- pointless. So why is James important? It's just about the Joneses, apparently.

I get the whole hero's journey. It's dark and hopeless until the last moment ("You don't just walk into Mordor!" Loved Jennifer's horror at Deacon's dismissal of Tolkein/LotR). But this particular segment irritated me because it led nowhere. Also, Emma being James' mother and telling him that tale, knowing it had no meaning -- what for? And last but definitely not least, they killed Deacon. They've lost the connection to 1491, and playing "Don't you forget about me..." over the end pretty much seals it. Unless the final resolution brings everyone back.

I know it's not quite over. Maybe they had to go through the whole journey to get to their current understanding and whatever finally resolves everything, but right now, I'm irritated. Off to watch the next episode.

(edited)

Awwww, Jennifer is hugging her way through this season! Last episode it was Cole and this episode it was Cassie and Deacon. Heh, notice that Deacon happily hugged her without mentioning the poop stench. Loved that despite how much he enjoyed the reunion, he didn't even try to humor her about the Lord of the Rings stuff. The horrified/offended look on Jennifer's face was priceless. I also loved how Jennifer equated medieval times with the Legend of Zelda. Her attempts to converse in ye olden times was great (especially greeting the goats because duh, why be rude by ignoring them?).

I cracked up when the show used dramatic music as Olivia removed her mask for the millionth time. I get it. She's the Big Bad!

OF COURSE everyone had to stand around talking about what to do with the medieval version of the machine and then Jennifer just said to ring the damn bell and did it herself. Lately her impatience has been winning more than Cole and Cassie's need to discuss everything to death. I get their hesitation because they had no idea where the machine would send Cole, but they did all this to get there so just do it!

Deacon, nooooooooooooooooooooooooooo!!!!!!! But I love that he got to look Team Splinter in the eyes and tell them that he was willing to sacrifice himself for them and that he'd do it again. It was obvious that he was purposely drawing Olivia's attention to himself to buy everyone more time in the hopes of saving them. RIP Deacon (unless they find a way to bring you back before the final episode!).

Poor Jennifer. She was so hopeful that somehow they would save Deacon until 2043 Jennifer revealed that she still had his knife. Of everyone on Team Splinter, she was the one who loved Deacon the most. Jones respected him, Cole was his frenemy, and Cassie had her thing with him, but Jennifer unabashedly loved him. I was afraid that she would be totally devastated by his death, so I'm glad that 2043 Jennifer pointed her to the symbols. I hope that her obsession with that will help ease the pain of losing Duncan and give her something to focus on.

I'm glad Chorus told Jennifer that she was still primary and that the voices only stopped because they knew Olivia was listening. I also really loved that Nicodemus was totally accepting of his daughter's condition and even renamed her to put a positive spin on being a primary.

What was with Deacon and 2043 Jennifer having nosebleeds? Did Deacon know he was dying? Obviously we all know that Jones is on the clock because of the radiation from earlier in the season, but Deacon had a nosebleed in the previous episode and 2043 Jennifer had one in this episode (and we know she dies about one year in the future).

5 hours ago, cynic said:

I can't stand when women's armor has molded boobs. What's the point of that? Wouldn't the force of any blow just get concentrated on the narrow part closest to your body?

I'm guessing the point is so that the woman doesn't have her boobs uncomfortably squashed flat beneath a plate of metal!

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 1

I found it interesting how Chorus wasn't crazy like the primaries we've seen before. Neither were those Druids around at the bonfire. Seems like if that gift is nurtured, it doesn't drive them mad.

• Love 4
14 minutes ago, kariyaki said:

I found it interesting how Chorus wasn't crazy like the primaries we've seen before. Neither were those Druids around at the bonfire. Seems like if that gift is nurtured, it doesn't drive them mad.

Or at the very least if they aren't told "YOU ARE CRAZY!" But yeah, seeing the difference in the way Nicodemus easily accepted that she was different versus Jennifer's dick of a father was a pretty stark contrast.

30 minutes ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

Or at the very least if they aren't told "YOU ARE CRAZY!" But yeah, seeing the difference in the way Nicodemus easily accepted that she was different versus Jennifer's dick of a father was a pretty stark contrast.

Not just Jennifer. We saw that kid Olivia's mom paradoxed in the fifties had spent the majority of his life in institutions. Madeleine Stowe's character also resided in an institution. That medieval primary who sided with Olivia seemed to spend his life in self-flagellation.

(edited)

Don't You Forget About Me

Goodbye, Deacon. I had a feeling he was going to die. He seemed to have the same feeling. I like that he sacrificed himself for Team Splinter, and he would do it again. Still, my reaction was about the same as poor Jennifer. 

Jennifer gets the best lines.

So that's how Cassie got the white streak. 

Edited by Evie
5 hours ago, ElectricBoogaloo said:

What was with Deacon and 2043 Jennifer having nosebleeds? Did Deacon know he was dying? Obviously we all know that Jones is on the clock because of the radiation from earlier in the season, but Deacon had a nosebleed in the previous episode and 2043 Jennifer had one in this episode (and we know she dies about one year in the future).

I'm thinking we'll see Deacon again. He saw VII carved into his cell wall, gave Jennifer the knife, and said he'd need it again someday. They both got nosebleeds. So I'm hoping we get to see him or her carve that VII and what it all means.

• Love 4
1 hour ago, CrystalMoon said:

I'm thinking we'll see Deacon again. He saw VII carved into his cell wall, gave Jennifer the knife, and said he'd need it again someday. They both got nosebleeds. So I'm hoping we get to see him or her carve that VII and what it all means.

The nosebleed means that carving won’t happen. He changed things when he gave away his knife, eventually leading to his sacrifice.

2 hours ago, CrystalMoon said:

I’m pretty sure he carved that into the wall when he was held prisoner there before. VII stands for West 7, as in the name of his old gang. 

15 minutes ago, marieYOTZ said:

I thought the druid-primary’s take-down of Olivia made this episode wholly worthwhile. “You’re just a fool in a metal mask”, and all that. Excellent. 

Between Varys and Master Luwin making appearances this season, I’m waiting for the rest of the Game of Thrones cast to show up for the series finale next week!

Well, that was a step up from Daughters.

I can literally feel my heart pounding in that same way as exiting a rollercoaster ride.

Goodbye Deacon, what a wonderful character you grew into in the end. I may never be able to to listen to your song and not think about how awesome you were.

I'm sure Jennifer smelled of manure because she slept in a barn, not because the tv village people threw it at her.

Kudos to the set builders, though. That was outstanding stuff.

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2018 at 2:10 PM, marieYOTZ said:

I thought the druid-primary’s take-down of Olivia made this episode wholly worthwhile. “You’re just a fool in a metal mask”, and all that. Excellent. 

Ye Olde Smackdown was a bright spot in this episode.

I'm not convinced that all the weapon build-up was for nothing. Either that was a decoy of some sort or the Seers knew there was a way to undo it. If only because Olivia was so smug when they met in the church that every Primary in time probably felt it and knew to work around it.

• Love 2
On 6/30/2018 at 3:10 PM, marieYOTZ said:

I like how there's a certain theme of insecurity around Olivia.  She's seen as a bit of a false prophet.  There was a faction in the Army of the Twelve Monkeys that called her so, until she violently suppressed that.  She even expressed fear and doubt about her ability to lead her followers to The Red Forest.

• Love 2