Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E07: Daughters

Ah, it is never easy being a daughter to a time-traveling obsessed mother!  One sends you back in time to learn about yourself and decided what is truly your calling.  The other forces you to spy for her in order to help build a massive time-traveling city, hangs you over a ledge when you don't go fast enough, and then once you decide you had enough and bail, she considers you disposable.  Yep, poor Emma got the worst out of those two!

So, Jones and Deacon plan was to pretend like Olivia tortured the location of the weapon from Jones, but they actually wanted her to know and go back there, so that way Cole, Cassie, and crew would have a tether or whatever to be able to go there themselves.  Not bad.  And even though Jones knew it was all fake, it still had to be painful watching Olivia "kill" Hannah over and over again.  Although, Olivia really lacks in originality, since also she did was repeat slitting her throat, snapping her neck, and shooting her in the head.  Get more inventive, Olivia!  Toss her in a pit of snakes!  Use a bazooka!  Sharks with lasers!  Let your crazy, murderous freak fly!

• Love 3

Olivia is so short sighted. She really didn’t realize that manhandling and threatening her daughter, then repeatedly killing a simulation of Jones’s daughter, thus showing Emma what a mother’s love actually looks like, wouldn’t prompt a mass exodus by Emma? 

The storytelling parallelism of Hannah and Emma was nicely done. They weirdly led similar, yet opposite lives.

• Love 1

I was waiting for Olivia to comment on Jones' revelation about Deacon. Let's hope that Deacon really can take care of himself. After everything, they'd better not kill him. I worry that one of our "primaries" won't make it. Jones is already in trouble, but I don't want to lose any of them.

(edited)

Damn, Olivia is stone cold. Not only does she treat her daughter like a robot meant to simply obey orders and then send someone to kill her, but killing fake Hannah in front of Jones over and over? Fuck.

Poor Jones! She'd better hope that Deacon is as resilient as everyone thinks he is. He survived when Cole and Ramse turned him over to the Foreman, so I want to believe that he won't be killed but since it's the last season I feel like we are going to get at least one tragic death before it's all over.

Jennifer choosing to get splintered to 1491 first was so sweet. For years she has struggled with what it means to be primary and it seems that she finally understands her purpose and is embracing it. Looooooved when Cole stopped her and gave her a hug. Jennifer has yearned for love and acceptance for her entire life, so getting that kind of acknowledgment from Cole was extra awesome.

Heh, loved when 2043 Jennifer referred to Adler as 3PO.

Edited by ElectricBoogaloo
  • Love 5

Olivia wins the award for worst mother ever!

I liked Hannah and Emma's voiceovers in the beginning. This episode really made me care about Hannah as her own person and not just Jones' daughter. They also made me really feel for Emma even though we barely know her. 

Aww, at the Cole/Jennifer hug and Jennifer going first as his Seer.

Hello again Old Jennifer. 

So Olivia pretty much knew Deacon was playing her. I figured because while she doesn't seem to know much despite being The Witness, that was fairly obvious. 

I loved the scene between Jones and Deacon when he said Hannah had won the jackpot with her mother. Katarina’s development into this warm, loving mother-figure, not just for her own daughter, but the rest of the team has been so well done. 

I also loved Adler telling Cole he’d put him in his ass. You can only push that man so far.

So there were a couple of places where nosebleeds happened over the course of the episode that have made me really curious. I think Deacon had one in his old cell, looking at the VII carved into the wall and old-Jennifer had one, too, I think. What was changing and why, I wonder.

Such a sweet Cole/Jennifer hug with Cassie and Jennifer exchanging an emotional look over his shoulder. I like Cassie just fine, but the Cole/Cassie relationship is way down my list of relationships I’m invested in on this show. 

I'm going to be the negative voice and say there were waaaay too many toys in the pram for this episode to flow properly. There was Hannah and Emma and tethers and OldJennifer and bloody noses. And Adler putting his foot down. I found it hard to follow, honestly.

"Are you ready to get Medieval" made me chuckle.

I do like Hannah and am glad she got her own storyline, though. 

Didn't and do not care for Emma. I spent a lot of her scenes wondering where I'd seen the actress before.

1 hour ago, Aliferously said:

I'm going to be the negative voice and say there were waaaay too many toys in the pram for this episode to flow properly. There was Hannah and Emma and tethers and OldJennifer and bloody noses. And Adler putting his foot down. I found it hard to follow, honestly.

Yeah, good point. There was a lot going on and it seemed to be telling many stories at once. I think if I'd watched this all by itself I would've not liked it very much. But since it was the first of three, I did enjoy it. I liked it as a set-up for Episode 9, but I remember getting a little bored in the first half when the story was almost entirely about Jones, Olivia, Hannah, and Emma.

• Love 1

I like that the show is well-written and acted enough that it can do an episode like this. It was about halfway through that I realized we hadn't seen much of Cole, Cassie or Jennifer at all, but I didn't mind because the supporting characters were strong enough to carry the show.

• Love 3

So, do we think Jones found some money to send Hannah back to the past with, or did Hannah steal stuff like the team usually does, or did she get a job? Inquiring minds want to know. I'm also hoping poor Bryan didn't get charged with the assault/ murder of those two obnoxious guys.

Jennifer continues to be the best.

I found this one a little dull as well. Not terrible by any stretch, but I did find it tough to stay engaged for the first half or so; I stopped it a couple times to do other things. So, Cole's mother, Marion Woods, is actually Emma; I'm a bit surprised no one else has mentioned it yet. I had my suspicions that this might be the case a couple episodes back, but I still enjoyed the reveal. In crazy 12 Monkeys fashion, the Witness turns out to be Cole's grandmother and Athan's great-grandmother, but is completely clueless to that fact. She wants to end time and all along, her own descendants have been trying to stop her! The twists are endlessly fantastic!

• Love 1
(edited)
6 hours ago, Aliferously said:

So I presume she worked and lived as her mother wanted her to.

Would love to know what her job was! She'd make a kick-ass body guard, but somehow I doubt that was it, since she seemed to be flying under the radar until her date. And since she doesn't have any type of education/ useful job experience (by 2009 standards), it seems like it would be hard for her to get a job that would pay enough for her to maintain what looked like a fairly nice lifestyle. Though I guess she was using Cole's room at the Emerson, so she would only have to feed and clothe herself.

Forgot to mention in my last post, but Jennifer's expression when Adler threatened to knock Cole on his ass was hilarious!

Edited by dargosmydaddy
31 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

Would love to know what her job was! She'd make a kick-ass body guard, but somehow I doubt that was it, since she seemed to be flying under the radar until her date. And since she doesn't have any type of education/ useful job experience (by 2009 standards), it seems like it would be hard for her to get a job that would pay enough for her to maintain what looked like a fairly nice lifestyle. Though I guess she was using Cole's room at the Emerson, so she would only have to feed and clothe herself.

Well, THAT was a missed opportunity. Now I really want to know what Hannah's job was for two years. Since she only needed food and clothes (thus not a lot of money), maybe minimum wage retail? Entry-level office work?

• Love 1

I wouldn't think she would have typing skills, although I guess she could learn. I did laugh that she was still wearing the raccoon eye make-up when she first went back; I wonder how long it took her to lose that? Maybe she could work at Hot Topic or somewhere goth-y.

6 minutes ago, dargosmydaddy said:

I did laugh that she was still wearing the raccoon eye make-up when she first went back; I wonder how long it took her to lose that?

I was laughing that Hannah was still wearing the raccoon mask at all this season. She hasn't exactly needed the camouflage once she moved into the bunker with Team Splinter and didn't live outside anymore.

I'm confused. Which version of Jennifer was it that appeared and set off the alarms right after young Jennifer splintered away?  Was that old Jennifer from 2043?  How could that be?  She was killed last season.

Just now, Ray Adverb said:

I'm confused. Which version of Jennifer was it that appeared and set off the alarms right after young Jennifer splintered away?  Was that old Jennifer from 2043?  How could that be?  She was killed last season.

It was old Jennifer. The lab is in 2043 right now, which old Jennifer mentioned, so it's before she died. I suppose old Jennifer remembered (?) that Cole and Cassie were about to jump to the Middle Ages and wanted to encourage them, and perhaps talk to her younger self later on when she returned.

• Love 1
3 hours ago, CrystalMoon said:

It was old Jennifer. The lab is in 2043 right now, which old Jennifer mentioned, so it's before she died. I suppose old Jennifer remembered (?) that Cole and Cassie were about to jump to the Middle Ages and wanted to encourage them, and perhaps talk to her younger self later on when she returned.

Oh yeah.  I forgot that the lab was in a time before she was killed.

On 6/30/2018 at 10:38 PM, Aliferously said:

Didn't and do not care for Emma. I spent a lot of her scenes wondering where I'd seen the actress before.

I know where I have seen her before but not sure you did too. It was in the second season of a BBC series that was also shown on Starz: The Missing. She played a complex and mysterious character in the series that until the end is not clear if she is a victim or a villain. With her very distinctive features she left quite an impression.

I really like the idea of two daughters from two very different mothers both caught out of time trying to understand the people in the time they were trapped in.  I thought the comparison was very well done.

• Love 4
8 hours ago, Ray Adverb said:

8 hours ago, CrystalMoon said:

When they found her, she said, “You've all got that ‘I forgot it's 2043’ look on your face. I haven't kicked it yet.”

• Love 1
(edited)
22 hours ago, meira.hand said:

I know where I have seen her before but not sure you did too. It was in the second season of a BBC series that was also shown on Starz: The Missing. She played a complex and mysterious character in the series that until the end is not clear if she is a victim or a villain. With her very distinctive features she left quite an impression.

Of course, The Missing. Thank you. 

Edited by Aliferously