Type keyword(s) to search

S01.E12: Live

Dylan and Lizzie investigate the murder of a film student whose death was broadcast for the world to see; Andy and Dylan agree to look after a friend's 12-year-old daughter.

Unexpected snogging. 

And equally implausible was the perp's completely normal appearance and demeanor given that he suddenly decided to commit heinous murders. 

I guess we can give the writers credit for parallel plots.

• Love 1
8 minutes ago, Free said:

Yeah, that one came out of nowhere.

It did, but there was something about that first scene with the three of them at the wine bar; something about Lizzie and Julian that made me say, "Oh no, are they gonna hook up these two?!"  I think I like it, I just think it happened too quickly.

• Love 8
8 minutes ago, TeapotDiva said:

It did, but there was something about that first scene with the three of them at the wine bar; something about Lizzie and Julian that made me say, "Oh no, are they gonna hook up these two?!"  I think I like it, I just think it happened too quickly.

Yeah, it needed more build up on that part.

• Love 3

I thought my eyes couldn't roll any harder than they did at the beginning when it appeared that no one at the NYPD but Lizzie could recognize a trail of blood. But that kiss! I guess I *might* have believed it if they had more build-up. But this way, ugh. 

• Love 2

I had thought that since the male lead was gay, we would finally have a show without UST between the male/female partners. But I guess TPTB don't believe that we will watch a show without some romance involved and the relationship between Dylan and his husband doesn't count. And my dislike of the kiss has nothing to do with the fact that Naveen is my television boyfriend and now he's cheating on me!

• Love 7

Did I miss an episode or twenty? Where did that kiss even come from? The great thing about couples kissing is having it be earned. This was not earned and I'm not even comfortable calling Lizzie and Julian a couple seeing as they've barely spoken on screen. I love the cast of this show but it is so poorly written that I'm really struggling to hold on.

The murder was boring. The kid plot was boring.

• Love 6

I kind of thought Lizzie and Julian might get together but the kiss was still pretty sudden.

22 minutes ago, vibeology said:

The kid plot was boring.

Boring and pointless.

3 hours ago, vibeology said:

Did I miss an episode or twenty? Where did that kiss even come from? The great thing about couples kissing is having it be earned. This was not earned and I'm not even comfortable calling Lizzie and Julian a couple seeing as they've barely spoken on screen. I love the cast of this show but it is so poorly written that I'm really struggling to hold on.

The murder was boring. The kid plot was boring.

Yeah, they've only recently talked to each other and that's after a couple of episodes where they were kept apart from interacting in the first couple of episodes when Dylan was hiding Julian from Lizzy.

6 hours ago, vibeology said:

I'm wondering if the writers were in cryogenic stasis since the 1970s (pre-AIDS with newly available birth control) and that they were thawed out to write the Lizzie-Julian meet-cute/foreplay scene. 
*sigh* This show is a veritable Russian nesting doll of writing problems.

• Love 7
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

*sigh* This show is a veritable Russian nesting doll of writing problems.

That Is GENIUS.  If you ever blog about writing you should make that the title.

And since you can write that line, you are well qualified to blog about writing.  Link, pretty please?

• Love 1

I agree that there should have been a longer build up to the kiss (episodically speaking, lol)....however, the possibility of a romantic relationship doesn't bother me.  She finally got "closure" for Charlie....but it was a little soon to just move on.

• Love 2

Something I don't understand...how did the TA expect to get away with the murders when he was, on the live feed of the second murder attempt, saying all those things that obviously identified him?  Dumb.

And how did he manage to get the second victim (Henry?) tied up to the chair in his room of death?

Sloppy writing, again.

Also, I hope they move away from that formula where they are still in the dark about the murder(s) then someone  says something, Dylan gets that glassy-eyed stare, and suddenly knows everything.

• Love 5
(edited)
3 hours ago, treeofdreams said:

Also, I hope they move away from that formula where they are still in the dark about the murder(s) then someone  says something, Dylan gets that glassy-eyed stare, and suddenly knows everything.

Jessica Fletcher called from the 80s, and she wants her gimmick back.

ETA: And if they were going for Monk's schtick, Tony Shaloub didn't need any CGI light bulb over his head (although they did employ a filtered flashback with a voiceover), but I bet Alan Cumming could do subtle if the director did more directing.

Edited by shapeshifter
  • Love 3

Have writers forgotten how to build chemistry between two characters?  If they need a refresher course, they should watch Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.  Now there is chemistry that sizzles!

I think the build-up, and the UST, is far more interesting than just going in for the liplock.  That is just lazy writing.

• Love 3
1 hour ago, shapeshifter said:

I bet Alan Cumming could do subtle if the director did more directing.

From Blackadder to whoever on Instinct deserves it: "You wouldn't know a subtle plan if it painted itself purple and danced naked on top of a harpsichord singing 'Subtle Plans Are Here Again.'”

• Love 8

Hack writers lol I mean we are suppose to believe there was some sort of thing between them . Why because they spoke a few times ? Also in no way an emotional or connective manor . Sad this is what is passing for writing these days , just shoving two people together for no apparent reason lmao Hacks . They just needed a straight romance paradigm because the lead is gay . So instead of building a story over time they just pull this out of their ummm cough “ Donkeys “ probably because they aren’t getting the straight viewers interested without a Kate and Castle sizzle to it . If this is how they write this shows days are numbered , this was my last episode nothing wrong with them getting together but for no reason lol just Hacks . 

• Love 2

If they want viewers to be more interested, they should try better writing. Alan Cumming is charming, and the lack of WTWT between him and the woman is a plus for me. Naveen Andrews was a pleasant surprise; don't block my view of him with someone's face.

• Love 7

I’m not opposed to the two of them getting together- but let’s have a little more interaction first.  Neither of them have been portrayed as impulsive in terms of relationships.     

Fyi to writers- if your suspect is broadcasting live, then maybe we should start sending the cavalry to the address as soon as we know it? The victim has a much better chance if the closest police officer  breaks down the door rather than waiting for our stars to show up.   This, just like the non detective half is the only intelligent life, is also a staple of police shows- and drives me nuts. 

• Love 6
1 hour ago, mythoughtis said:

Fyi to writers- if your suspect is broadcasting live, then maybe we should start sending the cavalry to the address as soon as we know it? The victim has a much better chance if the closest police officer  breaks down the door rather than waiting for our stars to show up.   This, just like the non detective half is the only intelligent life, is also a staple of police shows- and drives me nuts. 

That always annoys me too.  There they are, driving through slow traffic, with only moments to save the victim, but they never call on cops who might be at least on the same side of town.

• Love 6

This show was given a 2nd season??  Pity.  I should have stopped after the first 3 free episodes, instead, I stupidly paid for an Amazon Season Pass.  Hey, Naveen is cool with me, but he's been "Lost" from the screen for years. (Sorry, bad joke).  I like the two leads, but their schtick gets old and the "Snog", came outta left field and and without the buildup, left me feeling nauseous. They have no chemistry nor was there an effort to even let chemistry build.  Lizzie has more chemistry with Dylan than with Julian.  Very weak episode out of a season full of weak episodes. Nothing memorable about this series. CBS has no flair for programming, other then TBBT, and "Young Sheldon". Even "Scorpion" went out with a whimper.

• Love 1

Two episodes of a Summer throwaway like "Take Two" (ABC) beats a whole season of "Instinct" (CBS). Much better acting and chemistry and the writing and humor is better also. CBS should be embarrassed that ABC consistently kicks its ass.

• Love 1

Ok, I don't know which is weirder - Lizzie and Julian suddenly snogging, or as I thought, she was the girlfriend who previously had broken up with him? Even though there was no indication they had ever met before.

15 minutes ago, Beezella said:

Ok, I don't know which is weirder - Lizzie and Julian suddenly snogging, or as I thought, she was the girlfriend who previously had broken up with him? Even though there was no indication they had ever met before.

Julian did extensive research into Lizzie's background and warned Dylan of her deceased partner's possible double-dealing. They did not have a prior relationship, unless this show is REALLY that poorly written.  The sudden snogging is weird enough.  Yet, the network felt this show was worth giving it a 2nd season. I've watched series that were poor during the first season then bounced back to become a stellar series, "Babylon 5" comes to mind; however that was due to the wooden acting by the actor that played Captain Sinclair, not because of the writing.

• Love 2

I like this show because I find the cast very appealing.  The sad thing is that this appealing cast is dealing with lousy scripts written by people who are out of a TV Writing 101 class.   I'm one of the few Luddites who still doesn't have Netflix or Amazon Prime but I'm rethinking that.  Most of network tv is so pathetic that it only seems to be on the air to sell luxury cars and all sorts of medication.  

• Love 4
2 hours ago, 12catcrazy said:

Most of network tv is so pathetic that it only seems to be on the air to sell luxury cars and all sorts of medication.  

Try being retired and watching TV during the daytime. They must figure everyone home at that time is in need of sporty, luxury transportation to get them to their next doctor's appointment or the pharmacy to refill their prescriptions. 

So now we are going to look forward to season 2 baby drama and a bullshit Lizzie/Julian romance? DO NOT WANT! My AC & NA love is strong, so I am most likely in for season 2, but I knew no good would come out of Julian & Lizzie meeting. 

On 6/25/2018 at 8:34 AM, Good Queen Jane said:

I had thought that since the male lead was gay, we would finally have a show without UST between the male/female partners. But I guess TPTB don't believe that we will watch a show without some romance involved and the relationship between Dylan and his husband doesn't count. And my dislike of the kiss has nothing to do with the fact that Naveen is my television boyfriend and now he's cheating on me!

Well, he has been cheating on you with me for years...lol Other than that, ITA!

On 6/26/2018 at 4:04 PM, treeofdreams said:

Have writers forgotten how to build chemistry between two characters?  If they need a refresher course, they should watch Miss Fisher's Murder Mysteries.  Now there is chemistry that sizzles!

Right? 30+ episodes to get a Jack/Phryne snog. And well worth the wait!

On 6/27/2018 at 2:08 AM, Arkand Blaidd said:

“ probably because they aren’t getting the straight viewers interested without a Kate and Castle sizzle to it . If this is how they write this shows days are numbered , this was my last episode nothing wrong with them getting together but for no reason lol just Hacks . 

I am straight & was so relieved that Dylan was established as gay right off the bat, so no WTWT. As a matter of fact, I commented in the thread for ep 6: And nonononono to a Lizzie/Dylan hook-up. The beauty of Dylan being gay is that I don't have to dread the inevitable romance being shoehorned in as happens on every other show (or do it seems).  Wasn't even thinking I would have to dread a Lizzie/Julian storyline. Memo to writers: a "ship" is not required, especially when it makes no sense.  

• Love 3
3 hours ago, Toothbrush said:

Memo to writers: a "ship" is not required, especially when it makes no sense.  

I wonder if the producers or other show runner(s)/network execs needed the memo. Maybe the "relationship" was written so poorly because the writers didn't want it? But then, they really don't seem to be wanting to write this show at all. Maybe their boss is an ogre who has chained them to computers in a dungeon?

• Love 2