Type keyword(s) to search

S04.E02 Episode 2

• Start Topic

26 minutes ago, grommit2 said:

I believe this is the first mention of the EMDR conference.  
I am assuming this "EMDR" refers to the Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy.  I do not recall Alison going through this particular therapy, but it would certainly apply to her situation.
Last season (#3) after going through therapy herself, Alison mentioned that she had been offered a job at the center. Of course, given the practice of presenting scenes from two different viewpoints,  the job offer was greeted by general doubt.  I am not clear as to how long she has been in training because there seems to have been a time jump between seasons #3 and #4.

Yes, Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing therapy is a type of treatment for PTSD.  It helps the individual properly process the traumatic event in the brain so that it finally gets stored away in the long-term memory.  It's requires several therapy sessions close together and some serious commitment on the part of the therapist and the client.  It doesn't happen in just one sitting.  It usually takes some preparation.  

Thanks for the reply!

• Love 2

Something that really bugs me: when Joanie was a baby, she was blondish with blue or green eyes and looked like Cole, but now she looks as if she could be Noah’s with her dark eyes and dark hair. If how a child looks doesn’t matter, then don’t turn it into a plot point, show! (When Scotty ran into Alison and Joanie in Manhattan, I think, he was struck by how much Joanie resemebled Cole, which set things into motion.)

• Love 2
6 hours ago, TV Diva Queen said:

THANK YOU -

I wanted to read through all the comments before I came out of my apparent cloak of shame.  I enjoy my filet well done.  It makes me positively nauseous to eat or see the meat when its red.  Not sure why people think they're way is the right way, but damn, I enjoy my filet.  I only eat filet at steakhouses in Chicago, so I'm getting a good cut of meat and only one time about 35 years ago, did the server come back and tell us that the chef wouldn't "prepare our steaks well done,  and can we change the temperature or pick something else?  my mafiosa fiancee (we didn't marry) stood up, threw $20 on the table for the appetizer whispered to the server to tell the chef to go fuck himself and we quietly walked out. 

My name is TV Diva Queen and I like my filet well done.

#teammafiasafiancee

• Love 3
20 hours ago, Rockfish said:

Something that really bugs me: when Joanie was a baby, she was blondish with blue or green eyes and looked like Cole, but now she looks as if she could be Noah’s with her dark eyes and dark hair. If how a child looks doesn’t matter, then don’t turn it into a plot point, show! (When Scotty ran into Alison and Joanie in Manhattan, I think, he was struck by how much Joanie resemebled Cole, which set things into motion.)

Good point.  Two things:
1) I defer to parents:  do young children go through hair color changes as they grow older?  
2) I'm guessing that the writers tossed this hair color change into the story line to keep us guessing.  

Good point.  Two things:
1) I defer to parents:  do young children go through hair color changes as they grow older?  
2) I'm guessing that the writers tossed this hair color change into the story line to keep us guessing.  

Hair - absolutely. My hair was white blond when I was a child and got darker as I got older (both of my parents have brown hair). My husband was the same way. I now color my hair to something closer to what it was when I was younger. Eyes change too but are pretty much set by six months - a lot of babies are born with blue eyes but they change.

I think they just changed actresses without much thought.

• Love 3
19 hours ago, Elizzikra said:

I think they just changed actresses without much thought.

I’m sure that’s it, and normally it’d be NBD, but it’s bothering me because Joanie’s resemblance to Cole was such a big deal last season. (For sure, hair color changes, but her eyes would not have changed into brown or dark hazel.) But I will let it go.

On 2018-06-25 at 3:53 PM, DFWGina said:

My husband and I remarked on this.  I cannot believe anyone in the restaurant business would order it well done.  No way you go to any restaurant and order meat that way if you are with other industry folks.  If you don't like meat (you can't if you get it well done), order seafood or pasta.

I was always told by my meat fanatic husband (not in the business), to go a little more cooked in a restaurant because they tend to undercook it. He liked rare but went a little more cooked, an I would choose medium well-done. My parents were English so I grew up with well cooked food, but grew to appreciate a little more tenderness. I still had some red and pink in my medium well done, I would have hated meat with a blue or cold centre.

On 2018-06-25 at 10:25 PM, scrb said:

I'm not a big steak eater but used to request medium well done.

I've had rare steaks where the middle is cold.  I'd rather have it slightly over-cooked than undercooked.

Yeah, me too!

On 2018-06-28 at 1:40 PM, Duke2801 said:

I (straight woman) find the actress who plays Alison attractive;  my partner refers to  her as "Duck Face" from her Luther days. So.... yeah there ya go.  Attractiveness is subjective. That said, yes, it is annoying when a character is portrayed as not being able to encounter a single man without the man having sexual interest in her.  

No. The "previously on..." scenes before the episode clearly showed a scene where she told Cole she came her illegally in a prior season.

Ha- that and the waitress commenting "excellent choice." Is it possible that nobody in the Hamptons/Montauk area knows anything about steak?  

I'm also a straight woman that finds Ruth Wilson attractive. She has some similarities to Anna Torv from Fringe - initially I thought both of them were kind of plain looking, but as the show went on, I grew to appreciate how expressive their faces were - the beauty came from the emotions that flashed from their faces, as opposed to the large eyes and striking bone structure that normally classifies someone as beautiful or attractive. Interesting coincidence too that Joshua Jackson starred on both!

On 2018-07-01 at 1:05 PM, Rockfish said:

Although I do like the different points of view, when they’re drastically different I get pulled out of the scene trying to work it out in my head—but that’s me being too literal. But what I really enjoy about watching the show is coming here and reading all the drastically different POVs; I find it fascinating. For me, all I could feel was empathy for Luisa’s plight and further annoyance at Cole for his blasé reaction to her situation, which has no easy solution. (I’m an American living in Canada, and my spouse and I made two simple errors on one of the forms, which caused a delay in my immigration. And although I knew eventually everything would get straightened out, I was under tremendous stress at times, so I completely understood her panic.) So I was surprised to see harshness directed toward her. But I’ve never been a fan of Cole—to me, he’s often a passive-aggressive jerk, and I think he’s lucky to have patient Luisa.

I was cracking up when watching Alison get saved by new cute guy, anticipating all the comments here, lol.

I've become much more sympathetic to Luisa. Perhaps it has something to do with the current immigration chaos in the U.S.A. and the plight of the Dreamers - I didn't know anything about it in the prior season. At first I thought she was accountably angry and ready to boil over the slightest little thing but...Cole could drive most people to drink. At times he is wonderful - supportive, makes gentle little jokes and tries hard to be responsible. But he definitely has anger management issues and those seem to derail all his best plans sooner or later. I pictured him shooting at those kids, getting jailed, and putting Luisa in immigration jeopardy. The last thing she needs is extra attention by any authority figures. 

Welcome to Canada, Rockfish! I've heard it's quite tough to get the right to work here too, one of the biggest challenges for anyone immigrating from the U.S.)

I don't see Allison as a damsel in distress, but instead, a fairly capable woman that keeps getting emotionally stunted men falling for her, to her dismay. I think it has something to do with her petite looks and her quiet sexiness. While living with Noah, he turned into a deceitful manchild that left her to hold everything together, in much the same way that Luisa has to do with Cole. Maybe the end result of all these storylines is that women do much better without men. So bring on Helen's love affair with Goat Yoga Girl....

On 2018-07-03 at 4:05 PM, grommit2 said:

Good point.  Two things:

On 2018-07-04 at 11:53 AM, Rockfish said:

I’m sure that’s it, and normally it’d be NBD, but it’s bothering me because Joanie’s resemblance to Cole was such a big deal last season. (For sure, hair color changes, but her eyes would not have changed into brown or dark hazel.) But I will let it go.

• Love 1
On 2018-07-04 at 11:53 AM, Rockfish said:

Just wanted to add, that yes, eye colour changes. Most babies with European ancestry are born with blue eyes, but many (most) of them will change. My eldest son's eyes turned to green, I think after he turned one - or I just didn't notice the slight change earlier. By three years of age, the permanent colour will be set, although pregnancy, illness and exposure to light can cause a colour change well into adulthood. Most baby eye colour changes within three to six months though, and different life experiences can change the eye hue later in life.

From Wikipedia:

Changes in eye color

Percentage of light eyes in and near Europe according to anthropologist Robert Frost.[26]

Most new-born babies who have European ancestry have light-colored eyes. As the child develops, melanocytes (cells found within the iris of human eyes, as well as skin and hair follicles) slowly begin to produce melanin.[citation needed] Because melanocyte cells continually produce pigment, in theory eye color can be changed. Adult eye color is usually established between 3 and 6 months of age, though this can be later.[27] Observing the iris of an infant from the side using only transmitted light with no reflection from the back of the iris, it is possible to detect the presence or absence of low levels of melanin. An iris that appears blue under this method of observation is more likely to remain blue as the infant ages. An iris that appears golden contains some melanin even at this early age and is likely to turn from blue to green or brown as the infant ages.

Changes (lightening or darkening) of eye colors during early childhood, puberty, pregnancy, and sometimes after serious trauma (like heterochromia) do represent cause for a plausible argument stating that some eyes can or do change, based on chemical reactions and hormonal changes within the body.

Studies on Caucasian twins, both fraternal and identical, have shown that eye color over time can be subject to change, and major demelanization of the iris may also be genetically determined. Most eye-color changes have been observed or reported in the Caucasian population with hazel and amber eyes.[28]

Things that annoyed me about this episode:

I don't understand why Alison doesn't just give Cole her proxy for the business and why he doesn't ask for it? She isn't interested in the restaurant, other than the income. She has said that Cole will do what he wants. Why can't either one of them or a lawyer suggest the proxy? No, we have to constantly have scenes where Cole and Alison are mad about it. 

Cole is loaded. I have a hard time believing that Luisa has NO options regarding her status

How is Alison, who is not a  licensed therapist allowed to counsel clients? 

What power does Alison have that all she meets fall for her, to their own detriment?

The only thing that struck me as real during the ep was Allison calling Cole to jump her car. Of course she does and he jumps. Just about every person I know deals with that shit, to the annoyace of the new spouse.

• Love 2

Cole is loaded. I have a hard time believing that Luisa has NO options regarding her status

This i can't get my head around - I thought Luisa marrying Cole would make her legal - is the marriage not legal then? Im not American so obviously don't know the laws that well but I feel like this has suddenly been thrown in for the drama... 

• Love 1

Luisa's marriage to Cole is legal; her presence in the U.S. is not. Her marriage therefore does nothing for her residency status. Here's a blog with some details about the ten-year penalty she risks in coming forward, and the hardship exemption she is trying to obtain.

• Love 6

Thanks a million for that. I don't know why but I always thought marriage sorted out residency issues (naive much). It's why on some tv shows you'd have characters who aren't a couple marrying for reasons like that. 

• Love 1
6 hours ago, poeticlicensed said:

What power does Alison have that all she meets fall for her, to their own detriment?

Hmmm...what power?  Oh boy oh boy oh boy...what power!?
Ummm...let's see (wait, my wife is nearby).
Ok...coast is clear.  Alison is just, well, sort of, uhhh...
Aw...darn! My internet married-man-protection software is triggering all sorts of alerts.  
It is good software...prevents me from writing things that will DEFINITELY get me into trouble with the Missus. 
What's that?  Yes, Dear...I will take out the garbage this minute. Yes, Dear.  

• Love 3
On 7/3/2018 at 4:05 PM, grommit2 said:

Good point.  Two things:

Re: keeping us guessing -  didn’t Noah’s lawyer run a DNA test that definitively proved Noah was not the father?

On 6/24/2018 at 10:14 PM, Growsonwalls said:

show how women can compete for the same man, can have faults, and yet be likable women. Barb, Nicki, and Margene all had a richness and depth that Alison, Luisa and Helen lack.

I'm just now catching up with Se04 and maybe it's just me, but I find every single person on this show is now so supremely unlikeable, except for the two little girls, I don't care what happens to any of them. Luisa fighting all the time with that mopey, boring drip, Cole (who spends his life pining for a woman who dumped him seven years ago) makes me wonder what on earth she ever saw in him. The fact that yes, he ordered a rib-eye steak "well done" would have been the final straw for me, well, that and how he - a mature man -  resolves conflict by storming out of the house, spending the night on the beach smoking dope with a bunch of goofy tweakers and then whips out a shotgun. Is anyone on this show sane?

On 6/25/2018 at 11:53 PM, LilaFowler said:

Is this setting up yet another Allison-is-troubled-and-crazy season?

I"m sick of Alison's anguish/sadsack looks and puzzle over the fact that so many men find her utterly irresistable and unforgettable. Same goes for Helen: She treats her handsome, successful doctor like shit, reminds him how he's not the father of her horrid sons and should butt out of family business, is always angry and she has no appealing traits at all, IMO. The only time I remotely liked her was when she threw her harpy dragon-mom out of the house.

• Love 1
On 6/28/2018 at 1:40 PM, Duke2801 said:

Ha- that and the waitress commenting "excellent choice." Is it possible that nobody in the Hamptons/Montauk area knows anything about steak?  

That's a waitress sucking up for a tip. I've done it.

• Love 1